Pittsburgh Steeler Fans..... Unreal....

Was at Buffalo Wild Wings here in Pittsburgh today. Sitting at the bar wearing a bills shirt and hat on and a couple of Steeler fans were talking to me about the Super Bowl loses.

I didnt say much until this comming season got into the mix. I said to the guy, "yeah, we picked up some really good players and have a solid D now so the sky is the limit for us" He said "well New England is the class of that division." So I said, well, the Ravens have your number and you guys lost alot this offseason. This jackass in front of everyone says this and this is no bullcrap

"Were going to rebuild for this season and sign guys after the June 1st cuts"

I had NOTHING to say and the people around me just looked away laughing... Unreal...

Was at Buffalo Wild Wings here in Pittsburgh today. Sitting at the bar wearing a bills shirt and hat on and a couple of Steeler fans were talking to me about the Super Bowl loses.

I didnt say much until this comming season got into the mix. I said to the guy, "yeah, we picked up some really good players and have a solid D now so the sky is the limit for us" He said "well New England is the class of that division." So I said, well, the Ravens have your number and you guys lost alot this offseason. This jackass in front of everyone says this and this is no bullcrap

"Were going to rebuild for this season and sign guys after the June 1st cuts"

I had NOTHING to say and the people around me just looked away laughing... Unreal...

I don't get it.

I'm not sure if i have this straight. Long consecutive sellout streaks and season ticket waiting lists make for bandwagon fans.

No but the fact that over half the fans I see here in DC are either steelers or cowboys fans might have something to do with it.

When I was in Pittsburgh I:

1. Dated a girl whose parents had cancelled their season tickets because the Steelers "let a !@#$ play QB". Apparently they were not alone. The team tried to play it off as having a bad year, but according to her, 20k cancelled tickets can't be explained by a bad year. For the record, she was somewhat embarrassed by it, but not that much.

2. Saw a father of 3 young children swear at an Army level right in front of them and his wife, and the rest of us, during the entire game at Woodson's(Rod's restaurant)

3. watched nobody get anything done on Monday until after lunch during the season.

4. always enjoyed the tools attempting to give me crap about the lost SBs. I simply reminded them that we beat them, repeatedly, on the way to those lost SBs. In fact they were 1-3 against us during the SBs. And, in 1993, they lost a playoff game to us, at their place, by getting blown out...by Frank Reich...with Neil O'Donnell turning in perhaps the most pathetic playoff QB performance of all time.

Steeler fans are a lot like Dolphin fans, in that they are on the wrong side of history in terms of our SBs. "Wanna know why Dan Marino doesn't have a ring, and only went to 1 SB? Answer: The Buffalo Bills". :lol: The best is when the Bills started to be less dominant, and the Steelers finally did get to a SB, they lost it too. :lol: The very best is that you can almost always count on a Steeler fan to set themselves up to beaten down this way. It's like asking a Pats fan: What happened in 1985? They never know the answer, and they sure as hell don't know who their QB was.

Thread saved?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

When I was in Pittsburgh I:

1. Dated a girl whose parents had cancelled their season tickets because the Steelers "let a !@#$ play QB". Apparently they were not alone. The team tried to play it off as having a bad year, but according to her, 20k cancelled tickets can't be explained by a bad year. For the record, she was somewhat embarrassed by it, but not that much.

2. Saw a father of 3 young children swear at an Army level right in front of them and his wife, and the rest of us, during the entire game at Woodson's(Rod's restaurant)

3. watched nobody get anything done on Monday until after lunch during the season.

4. always enjoyed the tools attempting to give me crap about the lost SBs. I simply reminded them that we beat them, repeatedly, on the way to those lost SBs. In fact they were 1-3 against us during the SBs. And, in 1993, they lost a playoff game to us, at their place, by getting blown out...by Frank Reich...with Neil O'Donnell turning in perhaps the most pathetic playoff QB performance of all time.

Steeler fans are a lot like Dolphin fans, in that they are on the wrong side of history in terms of our SBs. "Wanna know why Dan Marino doesn't have a ring, and only went to 1 SB? Answer: The Buffalo Bills". :lol: The best is when the Bills started to be less dominant, and the Steelers finally did get to a SB, they lost it too. :lol: The very best is that you can almost always count on a Steeler fan to set themselves up to beaten down this way. It's like asking a Pats fan: What happened in 1985? They never know the answer, and they sure as hell don't know who their QB was.

Thread saved?

OC...I have come to enjoy your posts...but man, you are delusional sometimes! I guess that helps when you are a Bills fan. :thumbsup:

For me, I have never lived in Pittsburgh, but I have known many Steelers fans over the years. I think they are, in general a pretty solid lot. No problems with them whatsoever. Nearly every sports bar in town has a very large contingent of Steelers fans on board every Sunday. They are loyal.

btw- as for point #1- I hate to say it, but I have heard the same thing amongst Bills fans. Part of me was so wanting the Bills to get Cam Newton...not that I was so sure he would be a great NFL player, but just to carpet bomb the idiots in "Bills-nation"

Edited by Buftex

OC...I have come to enjoy your posts...but man, you are delusional sometimes! I guess that helps when you are a Bills fan. :thumbsup:

btw- as for point #1- I hate to say it, but I have heard the same thing amongst Bills fans. Part of me was so wanting the Bills to get Cam Newton...not that I was so sure he would be a great NFL player, but just to carpet bomb the idiots in "Bills-nation"

1-4 are facts...no delusion.

Now, I will grant you, the rest is grade a schit-talking...but...that is the point. In this thread. It's the best I can do...given what I have to work with here. Fair enough?

Making fun of Pittsburgh fans is, in my opinion, pretty ridiculous in itself. There are plenty of bandwagon fans out there; Pittsburgh is as solid a fan base as you will find. But maybe that's just me.

Making fun of Pittsburgh fans is, in my opinion, pretty ridiculous in itself. There are plenty of bandwagon fans out there; Pittsburgh is as solid a fan base as you will find. But maybe that's just me.

Agreed about their core fanbase, but all their success over the last decade has allowed for the casual uninformed bandwagon jumpers to join the Steelers crusade. People who know nothing about the team, but will vehemently defend their team with the "6 rings" quote regardless of the argument. I have spent the majority of my life in PA surrounded by Steelers fans, so maybe my view is a little skewed.

Agreed about their core fanbase, but all their success over the last decade has allowed for the casual uninformed bandwagon jumpers to join the Steelers crusade. People who know nothing about the team, but will vehemently defend their team with the "6 rings" quote regardless of the argument. I have spent the majority of my life in PA surrounded by Steelers fans, so maybe my view is a little skewed.

Imagine a fan of another team living in Buffalo.

Bottom line: EVERY team has jerks for fans. Including ours. The only difference is we tend to tolerate our own jerks.

Edited by eball

I live in Pittsburgh too, and most folks are pretty respectful of other teams and knowledgable about their own team. Sounds like you just ran into some meatheads.

I don't want to start an argument (although in the offseason before camp starts there really isn't anything better to do)... but I take offense to your statement. I have lived in Pittsburgh for 5 years now, and that city is filled with almost nothing but trash. I went to watch a preseason Bills/Steelers game a few years back in a bar (with friends who were Steelers fans). I am a very shy person (and it was preseason) so I wasn't cheering, just eating my food and watching tv. People were screaming at us, cursing, and generally being asshats over a preseason game. I have stopped going to Penguins games, after a high-fived a 4-year-old girl in a Sabres jersey after Buffalo Scored and was loudly called a "!@#$ing !@#$". While I don't have a huge sample size to compare, I have been to a Sabres game in Colorado and in Washington. In both of those cities, local fans would stop and say "where are you from", "here is a fun place to eat" "hope its a good game", etc. In Pittsburgh, I would probably have a heart attack if anyone demonstrated that civility.

This should explain how bad it is: Last year I defended a woman wearing a Tom Brady jersey in front of me at the grocery store, who was being harassed by idiot Stiller fans.

In summation, yinzers are basically the scum of the earth.

ETA: http://www.sbnation.com/2009/1/29/1642841/tsb-in-tampa-the-prototypical [That should make everything clear - that is the year-round acceptable Pittsburgh dress code]

Edited by Johnnychimpo017

I get sick of the "well there's a lot of transplants because the economy sucked" explanation when the same is true for Buffalo/Cleveland/Detroit, etc - that doesn't explain all these Steeler fans everywhere. Any team that was good in the 70's (Pittsburgh/Dallas/Miami/Oakland) picked up a lot of fans with no association to the area because they were one of the 'cool teams' to root for. Ya I'm sure they have some good fans but f*&^ 'em.

Question for OP:

Go to the Bills home opener this year.

Find a kid who looks to be about 22 years old with an old McGahee jersey where he has taken a large piece of masking tape and written "McDrunk" on it and placed it over the old name.

Make sure he has a chinstrap beard, is funneling beers and still lives in the suburb in which he grew up.

Quiz him about his football knowledge.

Is he representative of all Bills fans?

There are idiot fans out there of every team in the NFL, just like there are fans that can give respect to others. It's the low-brow types that get their panties in a bunch when they see a jersey of another team in their city. Nothing more than insecurity.

I don't want to start an argument (although in the offseason before camp starts there really isn't anything better to do)... but I take offense to your statement. I have lived in Pittsburgh for 5 years now, and that city is filled with almost nothing but trash. I went to watch a preseason Bills/Steelers game a few years back in a bar (with friends who were Steelers fans). I am a very shy person (and it was preseason) so I wasn't cheering, just eating my food and watching tv. People were screaming at us, cursing, and generally being asshats over a preseason game. I have stopped going to Penguins games, after a high-fived a 4-year-old girl in a Sabres jersey after Buffalo Scored and was loudly called a "!@#$ing !@#$". While I don't have a huge sample size to compare, I have been to a Sabres game in Colorado and in Washington. In both of those cities, local fans would stop and say "where are you from", "here is a fun place to eat" "hope its a good game", etc. In Pittsburgh, I would probably have a heart attack if anyone demonstrated that civility.

This should explain how bad it is: Last year I defended a woman wearing a Tom Brady jersey in front of me at the grocery store, who was being harassed by idiot Stiller fans.

ETA: http://www.sbnation.com/2009/1/29/1642841/tsb-in-tampa-the-prototypical [That should make everything clear - that is the year-round acceptable Pittsburgh dress code]

I'm not sure why you took offense to that guys statement. My experience is much like his. I've lived in Pittsburgh since 1994, except for 4 years spent at SU. Some Steelers fans can be VERY insufferable, but I've found that most Pirates and Penguins fans (myself included) are generally well behaved. I've been in Buffalo and found fellow Bills fans to be just as insufferable as Steelers fans in regards to their behavior at games. I recall someone a few years back pouring beer on a Seattle fan. I recall attending a Sabers v. Pens playoff game in Buffalo (wearing Pens attire) and being yelled at with the same vigor that you were yelled at by some idiot Pens fans.

I wonder what part of the city/what bars you are going to. The majority of yinzers are located in certain areas. I recommend checking out Wexford Ale House. They play every Bills game and most Sabers games and Pens games.

Also, after Team USA almost beat Canada in the 2010 Olympics, the Sabers played at the Pens the next game. Miller got a standing ovation from the Penguin fans for his efforts. Crosby got a mild boo.

I don't hide the fact I'm a Bills fan. I wear a Bills hat around, have a Bills poster in my office. I take some good natured ribbing from most people, but only the occasional a-hole comment from someone. Anyway, we will get a good laugh this year when the Bills have a better record than the Steelers. Made a bet w/ a co-worker about that!

Don't let the few idiots get to you.

Edited by RyanC883

I get sick of the "well there's a lot of transplants because the economy sucked" explanation when the same is true for Buffalo/Cleveland/Detroit, etc - that doesn't explain all these Steeler fans everywhere. Any team that was good in the 70's (Pittsburgh/Dallas/Miami/Oakland) picked up a lot of fans with no association to the area because they were one of the 'cool teams' to root for. Ya I'm sure they have some good fans but f*&^ 'em.

so after 40 years, are we going to call them bandwagon still? i will say, like dallas, having success in the 90s, in the 00's and being pretty good now did help keep that momentum of a large fan base - and there are some bandwagon schlubs - but read this board for a day and we have our own knuckleheads you wouldnt be proud to picture in public and we havent even been good for a loooong time. additionally, sometimes even the "die hards" are among the least informed...

also, are you only allowed to cheer for a team you have geographic ties to?

i will go with the side that argues of all the fanbases to bash, the steelers wouldnt be high on my list.

Our experiences have been different. But I do recall being at the famous Bills/Jax game in Buffalo in 1997 (Flutie TD run), and seeing some unruly Bills fans swear at and heckle an 8-year kid in a Mark Brunell jersey. There are idiots in every city.

I also question why you would defend a person wearing a Tom Brady jersey.

so after 40 years, are we going to call them bandwagon still? i will say, like dallas, having success in the 90s, in the 00's and being pretty good now did help keep that momentum of a large fan base - and there are some bandwagon schlubs -

Right, and hating on Dallas fans is never controversial, so...

also, are you only allowed to cheer for a team you have geographic ties to?

Of course you're allowed to cheer whoever. I'm also allowed to not like it.

No argument on our fans; I'd have a lot fewer posts if I thought we were all exceptional.

will start by saying MOST BUT NOT ALL!! With that out of they way every steelers fan i ever encountered is a cocky !@#$ and whine over every lose. my step father is from PA and is a steelers fan and every time they lose he will call or text me explaining why they lost (never can be they just played bad or sucked in the game) it is always well if it were not for tebow we would have won that game and i tell him yup if it were not for the defense on the field u would score on every play or if it were not for scott norwoods miss we would have won that super bowl. So point that i am getting at is they have a excuse for everything and it is never their fault in football or in real life!!!

That clip is one of the funniest quotes of all time. I've posted that before and I think you put it to good use here.

Thanks John, it was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the original post .... a good excuse to get a re-set of a classic.