Mario Williams House

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same street Jimbo lives on, right?

I just got back from Asheville, NC last month. I thought the two story library at the George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estate was from a bygone era. I'd go read in that sucker!

Right across the street from Kelly...guess he liked Jim's tour when he first visited...

But, what about when you are still paying off the house? Which ones costs more for the same house? Mortgage plus taxes.

That's a bit of a wash. My higher mortgage payment with lower taxes vs. lower mortgage and higher taxes. I would rather be paying off my house faster than tax money to the State.

Reading the story about the disgraced attorney who Mario bought the house from... What a great piece of PR. Mario gets the house at a bargain price, and a significant chunk of the sale goes to restitution for the people who got scammed.

Since he hasn't really hesitated to buy a house up there, we may be looking at the beginning of the next generation of Bills greats to make WNY their permanent home well beyond their playing career.

That's a bit of a wash. My higher mortgage payment with lower taxes vs. lower mortgage and higher taxes. I would rather be paying off my house faster than tax money to the State.

So, for example, you said this $2M house would cost $10M anywhere else. The taxes would make up that $8M difference?!

Of course you do. You're buying it for the deers in your backyard. And really - how much time do you spend looking at the outside of your house?

Actually the inside, apart from the over the top library, is pretty chooch.

And no way he payed anything close to 2 mil for this distressed property.

Of course you do. You're buying it for the deers in your backyard. And really - how much time do you spend looking at the outside of your house?

How much time to do you spend looking at the outside of your house?? Umm, every day when you come home? :unsure:

Right - the big difference is that the property taxes are $80,000 per year for this property in Buffalo and closer to $10,000 anywhere else. I Love New York!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa poor realtors. They could always get jobs selling used cars instead. The National Associaton of Relators is nothing but a cartel trying to keep a firm grip on an industry that should have died a long time ago. With the availability of information online, all they really do is steal 6% from every house that the "sell".

Exactly. That realtor's quote is total BS. Gee lady, so lets ask the two realtors that split the 120k in commish for mario's house if they agree with you that there would be zero impact. They've become ambulance chasers. I equate those overachieving know-it-all women realtors with Jets fans-- if they all disappeared tomorrow the world would be a better place.

That's what I was thinking... Is that really only 1.6 million?? For a 10,000 sqft house? I would have guessed at least 4...

The house cost $3.5M to build in 2005. It has been on the market for almost 2 years. I think the bank was initially asking $2.75M for it, and kept dropping the price until about 5 months ago when it bottomed out at $2M. To be honest, he got a heck of a deal and bought at the perfect time.

Living in one of those states with miraculously low property taxes, the public schools are pretty bad and the roads are in terrible shape. Not saying WNY taxes aren't high, but you do get what you pay for in a lot of ways.

The lawyer that built it is Ken Bernas. Cheated about 50 clients out of about $5M. Serving time. Would forge clients signatures on loan applications against settlements. Then the people would get notices from the loan company to pay back loans they never took out. Went to Jr and Senior high school with him. He went to UB. Partied once or twice with him in college. When I heard that he had such a fancy place, I figured he was a shyster.

Living in one of those states with miraculously low property taxes, the public schools are pretty bad and the roads are in terrible shape. Not saying WNY taxes aren't high, but you do get what you pay for in a lot of ways.

It's a good point. Orchard Park is a great area to raise a family and has very good public schools. for some reason, people think every place has to be perfect. There are pros and cons about living anywhere.

How much time to do you spend looking at the outside of your house?? Umm, every day when you come home? :unsure:

Riiiiiight. Most people with a garage drive into the driveway pressing the garage door opener, drive into the open garage, press "close" to close the garage door behind them, get their stuff together, and walk into the house.

That takes what .... 35 seconds? A minute, with a slow garage door opener or a long driveway? Most of which time is spent looking at the garage to ensure that the car waits until the garage door is sufficiently open and winds up parked neatly rather than impaled on the storage shelving, parked too close to the next car, or sticking out into the path of the door?

I repeat, how much time do you spend looking at the outside of your house?

Maybe you're different - maybe you get out of the car and spend several minutes standing at the end of the driveway admiring its architectural awesomeness (or lack thereof) before hopping back in and preceding with the sequence above.

Edited by Hopeful

Great buy by Mario. Also, he paid MORE than the asking price apparently so more money from the sale could go toward restitution for the victims of the former owners ponzi scheme.

It's nice to see that he bought a house here. The main reason being is that it clearly demonstrates that he likes and wants to be in Buffalo. Should help sign other FA who wrongly think Buffalo has nothing to offer. Great city, great people, terrible politicians/taxes. If they fix that last part, the city can become a national-leading city again. No reason it can't be "reborn" like Pittsburgh.

Riiiiiight. Most people with a garage drive into the driveway pressing the garage door opener, drive into the open garage, press "close" to close the garage door behind them, get their stuff together, and walk into the house.

That takes what .... 35 seconds? A minute, with a slow garage door opener or a long driveway? Most of which time is spent looking at the garage to ensure that the car waits until the garage door is sufficiently open and winds up parked neatly rather than impaled on the storage shelving, parked too close to the next car, or sticking out into the path of the door?

I repeat, how much time do you spend looking at the outside of your house?

Maybe you're different - maybe you get out of the car and spend several minutes standing at the end of the driveway admiring its architectural awesomeness (or lack thereof) before hopping back in and preceding with the sequence above.

I spend a lot of time outside my house. I've got a nice backyard patio setup and I spend most nights out there having dinner, watching TV, doing some work etc. In the summer i'm pretty much only inside to cook, shower and sleep.