Merriman Cleared

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Docs point

we want Shawn to be healthy SO bad.....that if even if he had an extra month of time and it would make a difference we would give it....

This is the thing

You could hear it in Chans voice today in his presser when he was talking about Merriman....he is fed up.....its put up or shut up time......you can either still be a football player or you cant. Chans patience for this whole situation has run out.

Merriman's word at this point holds little weight. He needs to do it on the field in the regular season. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked he is still on the roster. Buddy's sweetheart deal no doubt. Almost zero production for a lot of money based on his recent past.

How can you see either? Have the doctors already brought him slow? Are they rushing him now? Is the time just right? Without really knowing the injury, treatment or jack about medicine- its hard to say we see any side to it, no? It's mostly just a blind faith spot as an outsider.

I don't know about the exact injury and treatment for Merriman's condition, but I do know "jack" about medicine. Hence the moniker. Achilles issues are always a concern, so I favor waiting a little longer. Will 2 months (when TC starts) help out him more than him getting more familiarity with the 4-3? Can't really say. But I've always said that the further removed from surgery, the better.

Edited by Doc

I don't know about the exact injury and treatment for Merriman's condition, but I do know "jack" about medicine. Hence the moniker. Achilles issues are always a concern, so I favor waiting a little longer. Will 2 months (when TC starts) help out him more than him getting more familiarity with the 4-3? Can't really say. But I've always said that the further removed from surgery, the better.

Wasn't just 100% for you. All my point was, is that it's hard to discuss proper medical treatment from so far away.

How can you see either? Have the doctors already brought him slow? Are they rushing him now? Is the time just right? Without really knowing the injury, treatment or jack about medicine- its hard to say we see any side to it, no? It's mostly just a blind faith spot as an outsider.

Damn man, the guy was just stating an opinion, you don't have to agree with it. I took it as he'd rather have Merriman take it easy and not risk re-injury during OTA's, and have him save it for camp and the season...Something I'd agree with.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If Merriman can bring that level even part time the Bills D could be scary.

PTR

Ditto on that, Promo. From the time we signed him, I felt that if he can be at least half as good as he was in the Lights Out era, he'll be a significan force on the field for us. The thing is, after a couple of years now w/ the injury bug, he really needs to prove himself NOW.

Technically, he did make it past pre-season last year. Sure it was only five games, but he was our best defender during that time.

Shawne Merriman. Comeback Player of the Year. Get used to it.

GO BILLS!!!

Hello K9. Yeah if he can stay healthy, he should be a heck of a force on the field! To me, that's the big x-factor on him. He needs to have a strong season THIS year.

Wonder if he was cleared for "full participation" in the OTA's? I don't know his current condition exactly, but I would almost like to see hm brought along slowly similar to Kyle Williams and Terrence McGee. I think they will handle Merriman very carefully this off season.

Watching the video from yesterdays OTA i liked what i saw from K. Williams. He was taking quick choppy steps and moving very well. They held him out of group work, maybe so he didn't have a freak accident where someone fell on his ankle. But it looks like he is progressing quickly. Wonder how he feels today, the day after is always the real test.

But if Merriman can get back to what we saw in preseason, and stay healthy, he could be a dangerous piece to the Bills D puzzle!

Ditto on that, Promo. From the time we signed him, I felt that if he can be at least half as good as he was in the Lights Out era, he'll be a significan force on the field for us. The thing is, after a couple of years now w/ the injury bug, he really needs to prove himself NOW.

He couldn't be the only guy but with Mario and Kyle expected to get most of the attention, Merriman could wreak some havoc.

PTR

Our D seems good on paper but I'm worried about injuries. We're hoping Merriman, McGee, and K. Williams all recover from serious injuries. And that no one else gets hurt. Not to be a pessimist - I'm usually not - but I really want to see some healthy bodies flying around in preseason for me to feel truly confident about our D.

Even if he's "fully healed" it takes a long time to get the explosiveness back after an achilles injury. Even if he somehow avoids going down to injury I don't think we'll see an explosive, sideline to sideline guy, at least not this year.

It's wishful thinking to believe that Merriman is going to have a significant impact on the team this year. As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Damn man, the guy was just stating an opinion, you don't have to agree with it. I took it as he'd rather have Merriman take it easy and not risk re-injury during OTA's, and have him save it for camp and the season...Something I'd agree with.

My point was why throw that around even - we don't know how much they've babied him along the way, how healthy he is etc.... I have to assume his drs opinion is better than ours at this point. If not walking through some drills this week was a real risk he wouldn't be cleared youd have to assume. for all we know they kept him on a cautious schedule the whole way through, and this is already a matter of him having been held back some.

Edited by NoSaint

My point was why throw that around even - we don't know how much they've babied him along the way, how healthy he is etc.... I have to assume his drs opinion is better than ours at this point. If not walking through some drills this week was a real risk he wouldn't be cleared youd have to assume.

Exactly.

We are fans, unless anyone here has first hand knowledge of Merriman medical records you are just giving opinion based off the same information we all have. You ar eprobably basing your opinion on either personal experience or another players career/experience with a similar injury.

The Bills Medical Staff has always seemed to err on the side of caution when it comes to players health. I will trust them and Merriman to say when he can participate.

Even if he's "fully healed" it takes a long time to get the explosiveness back after an achilles injury. Even if he somehow avoids going down to injury I don't think we'll see an explosive, sideline to sideline guy, at least not this year.

It's wishful thinking to believe that Merriman is going to have a significant impact on the team this year. As others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.

id be curious, and genuinely dont know - other lineman with achilles injuries? especially ends? none come to mind off hand, but im sure its not totally uncommon. just curious to see how the progression back to playing has gone for others in similar spots. most of the comparable injuries i can think of are at other positions.

Exactly.

We are fans, unless anyone here has first hand knowledge of Merriman medical records you are just giving opinion based off the same information we all have. You ar eprobably basing your opinion on either personal experience or another players career/experience with a similar injury.

The Bills Medical Staff has always seemed to err on the side of caution when it comes to players health. I will trust them and Merriman to say when he can participate.

thats pretty much all i was saying. its just we dont know if an extra few weeks would do anything. obviously time helps, but at some point its better to get going again. the people with access to his records, and him, seem to think this is the time. we really as fans have little to add to that and cant even begin to speculate if its too soon or not. if a few extra weeks would help keep him healthy all year id be all for it, and think the bills would likely be too. i doubt this is about seeing what hes got sooner rather than later, as the original post i quoted stated. the logical assumption has to be that hes ready, and anything else is just baseless banter unless someone has some scoop we dont know about. debating if he should be held out longer does nothing positive for the discussion, unless we have an actual reason to believe he should.

Edited by NoSaint

If he is back anywhere close to where he was 3 or 4 years ago, and stays healthy, this defense could be special. Personally, I want to be optimistic about it just because of the possibilities he would present for us.