Merriman Cleared

Thats part of my argument. Again, many sports have roided up ex and current players.

I'm going to go out on limb and say masking is still very much in play in certain sports.

I also think the NFL is not "state of the art" when it comes to this stuff. Just a feeling.

Could his Achilles, be due to roids? Could the outrageous rehab then operation be due to steroid abuse?

We don't know and I am far from a expert. Merriman isn't the first guy to be thrown in the roid dumpster. With injury after injury.

Someone says he had his best 2 years after he was busted. Says who? The NFL drug testers? I believe nothing after

the Barry bonds, etc. nightmare that ruined a sport for over a decade. Steroid injections for injuries for back injuries, etc.

can turn muscle tissue into mush making operating impossible to the damage heals. That is a long process. Is this Merrimans issue? Who knows.

Yes you admit that you are far from an expert, yet you choose to cast aspersions on Merriman.

When a person tests positive for a banned substance in the NFL program, that player is made subject to increased testing. After testing positive once, he never tested positive again.

Are you saying that Merriman is cheating or that he's cheating more than other NFL players?

What makes you think masking is prevalent and the NFL program is ineffective? Why do some players still test positive for steroids if cheating/masking are so easy?

Why do you think that Merriman is cheating? Are Terrence McGee and Demetrius Bell also cheaters because they are injury prone?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking there is some personal anger towards Shawne Merriman. I dont feel very sure about the guy as character since he has been a Bill. I feel he has played us a bit but i consider the other side. for better or worse.

That might be he thought if he played as hard as he could through an injury that might end his career at least he would have some cash when they( doctors said your ankle is smoked and you are done ) time came. I think as most of you all do. Its Time to pay up.

Geez if he could, it would be gravy. If he cant, lets find out now. and i still hold out hope to see him regain some glory.

Ps i can imagine this whole thing to be a smoke screen for our superbowl run this year.

I love gravy

Dare I really ask but I've seen the phrase that he played us or is getting one over on us..... How?

Faking the injuries? Hiding them from us? Or just code for got my hopes up and things didn't work out.

It's been a throw away line around here a lot and is a huge accusation when you get down to what it really implies.

Edited by NoSaint

if No Saint you read my note above. Timing is everything.

I think Shawne did his best to get on the field and live up to commitments but he also had to consider he might be finished and put off the surgery till the very last. By played, i personally do not mean he tried to rip the Bills off. I mean he considered his own best interest, reasonably of course. And then got paid. I think Buddy knew the risk. The thing that matters now is only this.. Is the guy healed up now? He is young enough and has great football skills to come back is a leader and can create havoc. we saw some of that. just enough to hope he can bring it again for us.

if No Saint you read my note above. Timing is everything.

I think Shawne did his best to get on the field and live up to commitments but he also had to consider he might be finished and put off the surgery till the very last. By played, i personally do not mean he tried to rip the Bills off. I mean he considered his own best interest, reasonably of course. And then got paid. I think Buddy knew the risk. The thing that matters now is only this.. Is the guy healed up now? He is young enough and has great football skills to come back is a leader and can create havoc. we saw some of that. just enough to hope he can bring it again for us.

He didn't want surgery because it's a longer recovery and riskier procedure. That said, the team knew his condition and went with it. There's only so much he can get away with in this sense.

That said, it's a really common line, not just you.

It's as if they think he sat at buddy's desk:

"can't wait to get on the field, I'm totally ready to play...."

Signs deal

"as soon as this injury heals! That'll show you for trusting my tweets and not having drs look at me"

Or just pretends to be hurt to get a paycheck without working

And that this has played out repeatedly

Edited by NoSaint

Yes you admit that you are far from an expert, yet you choose to cast aspersions on Merriman.

When a person tests positive for a banned substance in the NFL program, that player is made subject to increased testing. After testing positive once, he never tested positive again.

Are you saying that Merriman is cheating or that he's cheating more than other NFL players?

What makes you think masking is prevalent and the NFL program is ineffective? Why do some players still test positive for steroids if cheating/masking are so easy?

Why do you think that Merriman is cheating? Are Terrence McGee and Demetrius Bell also cheaters because they are injury prone?

Sorry, I thought everyone is entitled to an opinion? Just you? Okie Dokie. Laughable that a athlete who has not done squat except cheer leading in 5 seasons on 2 teams receives such awesome support. BTW where do I say Merriman is cheating? He was cheating! That much I DO know. I choose to cast "aspersions"? Since you DO seem to be extremely knowledgeable on masking and NFL steroids testing perhaps you can school me and others? I'm asking for more than rule book crap.I like the technical stuff.I think my Mom knows the rule book stuff. I guess now The NFL is the most sanctimonious corporation for profit on planet earth. Because they test more frequently when your caught.Give me a break.

McGee and D. Bell? What nonsense man, spare me the personal attack based on my opinion. To me that attack comes off as childish. McGee and Bell to my knowledge never sat out for doing roids and getting busted. I guess steroids and the damage they do to a body is now all known and relegated too History, and the league is clean (again). My point was the Achilles could have been related to previous steroid abuse. It was simple, and not out of the realm of possibility. That I do know from receiving steroid injections in my back for pain for years. Then surgery. I also said UPFRONT I am not an expert on the steroids cheaters use(d). I guess I just heard from one though. Have a great evening man

GO BILLS!!!

It seems there is a denial of one fact here in this forum. The dude was a roid freak and hasn't done crap in 5 years.

I'm no doctor of medicine but I think that is in play here. I could care less about how he feels today and his operation.

he has been useless and he is still in his prime. Coincidence? He digs being wrote up on TMZ about the latest chick he banged

as much as NFL football. Good luck Shawn, this could be your last significant payday.

Well, the issue is he played well post roids and pre-Achilles

He had his two best seasons AFTER he tested positive for roids.

GO BILLS!!!

Thats part of my argument. Again, many sports have roided up ex and current players.

I'm going to go out on limb and say masking is still very much in play in certain sports.

I also think the NFL is not "state of the art" when it comes to this stuff. Just a feeling.

Could his Achilles, be due to roids? Could the outrageous rehab then operation be due to steroid abuse?

We don't know and I am far from a expert. Merriman isn't the first guy to be thrown in the roid dumpster. With injury after injury.

Someone says he had his best 2 years after he was busted. Says who? The NFL drug testers? I believe nothing after

the Barry bonds, etc. nightmare that ruined a sport for over a decade. Steroid injections for injuries for back injuries, etc.

can turn muscle tissue into mush making operating impossible to the damage heals. That is a long process. Is this Merrimans issue? Who knows.

Sorry, I thought everyone is entitled to an opinion? Just you? Okie Dokie. Laughable that a athlete who has not done squat except cheer leading in 5 seasons on 2 teams receives such awesome support. BTW where do I say Merriman is cheating? He was cheating! That much I DO know. I choose to cast "aspersions"? Since you DO seem to be extremely knowledgeable on masking and NFL steroids testing perhaps you can school me and others? I'm asking for more than rule book crap.I like the technical stuff.I think my Mom knows the rule book stuff. I guess now The NFL is the most sanctimonious corporation for profit on planet earth. Because they test more frequently when your caught.Give me a break.

McGee and D. Bell? What nonsense man, spare me the personal attack based on my opinion. To me that attack comes off as childish. McGee and Bell to my knowledge never sat out for doing roids and getting busted. I guess steroids and the damage they do to a body is now all known and relegated too History, and the league is clean (again). My point was the Achilles could have been related to previous steroid abuse. It was simple, and not out of the realm of possibility. That I do know from receiving steroid injections in my back for pain for years. Then surgery. I also said UPFRONT I am not an expert on the steroids cheaters use(d). I guess I just heard from one though. Have a great evening man

GO BILLS!!!

You're overreacting.

There were zero personal attacks from me or anyone else directed to you. If I missed it please point it out to me. On the other hand some of the things you said…

What happened in this thread is that you made the remark that Merriman hasn't done crap in 5 years.

It was then pointed out to you by others that Merriman had two outstanding seasons AFTER he served his suspension for steroid use. He led the league in sacks with 17 in just 12 games in 2006 (after the 4-game suspension) and had 12.5 sacks the following season.

Merriman has tested positive only once in 20 drug tests.

Everyone backed up their posts with facts however you backed up your opinion with rhetoric and more opinion and zero facts.

But because I take you to task on your comments, I'm making a "personal attack?"

edit: And the post of yours that I replied to was pretty all over the place… unclear to say the least.

This might be helpful:

What exactly are you trying to say about Merriman (you don't have to reiterate the part about TMZ and banging girls)?

You're overreacting.

There were zero personal attacks from me or anyone else directed to you. If I missed it please point it out to me. On the other hand some of the things you said…

What happened in this thread is that you made the remark that Merriman hasn't done crap in 5 years.

It was then pointed out to you by others that Merriman had two outstanding seasons AFTER he served his suspension for steroid use. He led the league in sacks with 17 in just 12 games in 2006 (after the 4-game suspension) and had 12.5 sacks the following season.

Merriman has tested positive only once in 20 drug tests.

Everyone backed up their posts with facts however you backed up your opinion with rhetoric and more opinion and zero facts.

But because I take you to task on your comments, I'm making a "personal attack?"

edit: And the post of yours that I replied to was pretty all over the place… unclear to say the least.

This might be helpful:

What exactly are you trying to say about Merriman (you don't have to reiterate the part about TMZ and banging girls)?

Like I said Merriman hasn't done anything in 5 years this is 2012. Sorry my mistake did i say 6? As for him banging girls (some called them way worse)and No it's not his outstanding ex lady Tila. sorry, I don't have the TMZ link from Vegas. Personally if he plays good football I don't really care. Problem is he doesn't anymore. Maybe this year. Can't live on the 06 season forever. My point was STEROIDS and damage to the body! Testing positive (ie cheating) only once in 20x as you state, is not good. No worries about him making the wall here is there? He cheated man! I guess I can wait till his contract expires, he's gone and the whole board calls him a D-Bag. Thats the way it works with good players, this will be no different.

Bringing up players that had zero to do with the post or thread meant what? other than the obvious? Have a great day.

GO BILS!

Like I said Merriman hasn't done anything in 5 years this is 2012. Sorry my mistake did i say 6? As for him banging girls (some called them way worse)and No it's not his outstanding ex lady Tila. sorry, I don't have the TMZ link from Vegas. Personally if he plays good football I don't really care. Problem is he doesn't anymore. Maybe this year. Can't live on the 06 season forever. My point was STEROIDS and damage to the body! Testing positive (ie cheating) only once in 20x as you state, is not good. No worries about him making the wall here is there? He cheated man! I guess I can wait till his contract expires, he's gone and the whole board calls him a D-Bag. Thats the way it works with good players, this will be no different.

Bringing up players that had zero to do with the post or thread meant what? other than the obvious? Have a great day.

GO BILS!

Do you really think that the (relatively) few players who have tested positive for steroids over the years are the only ones who are taking them or HGH? If so, there's a bridge I'd like to sell you.

As for steroids "ravaging his body," it's a nice little theory. To me it looks like Merriman has had an Achilles issue that he's delayed having addressed surgically, because he's been trying to chase the big contract. Not unlike Kyle and Stevie getting their surgeries after they signed their big deals. He's finally had the surgery, so know we'll know definitively this year whether the steroids truly have ravaged his body.

And if he leaves after the season, I doubt anyone will call him a D-bag. He was a model person while in Buffalo and seems to have left all that other stuff back in SD. At most, people will say he was a waste of money/bad gamble by the Bills.

I am very excited to hear the reports from OTAs today, and learn if Merriman participates fully. I have absolutely no expectations for him this season, but even the prospect of having him healthy is something to look forward to.

Do you really think that the (relatively) few players who have tested positive for steroids over the years are the only ones who are taking them or HGH? If so, there's a bridge I'd like to sell you.

As for steroids "ravaging his body," it's a nice little theory. To me it looks like Merriman has had an Achilles issue that he's delayed having addressed surgically, because he's been trying to chase the big contract. Not unlike Kyle and Stevie getting their surgeries after they signed their big deals. He's finally had the surgery, so know we'll know definitively this year whether the steroids truly have ravaged his body.

And if he leaves after the season, I doubt anyone will call him a D-bag. He was a model person while in Buffalo and seems to have left all that other stuff back in SD. At most, people will say he was a waste of money/bad gamble by the Bills.

I would bet he hasn't spent more than 3 months total in Buffalo since he got here, so that's not much of a claim.

Kyle Williams and Stevie earned their big contracts with great play before their injuries became significant (well Williams's was significant. anyway).

Edited by Mr. WEO

I would bet he hasn't spent more than 3 months total in Buffalo since he got here, so that's not much of a claim.

Kyle Williams and Stevie earned their big contracts with great play before their injuries became significant (well Williams's was significant. anyway).

The "while in Buffalo" meant as a member of the Bills. And Merriman didn't play great before his injury?

Again, the biggest difference between this year and last is that this year he actually had the achilles issued repaired. Last year it wasn't fixed. It was just rehabbed.

Again I think the motivation was money. . Had he been out longer from the beginning due to repair surgery he wouldn't have been getting paid. And given the devestating, often times career ending nature of Achilles tears, he may not have gotten a serious look afterwards. My feeling all along is he wanted to find a way to maintain his income and keep his Tila tequila-type celerity girlfriends happy, while barely being able to play. Give the man credit he pulled it off.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The "while in Buffalo" meant as a member of the Bills. And Merriman didn't play great before his injury?

No, not for his current employer, who picked him up after he was released by his last employer (who didn't think he earned a big contract).

There was that year back in 2006 though....

I know you meant but since he was hardly there, it was hard for him to make much trouble "in Buffalo".

I am very excited to hear the reports from OTAs today, and learn if Merriman participates fully. I have absolutely no expectations for him this season, but even the prospect of having him healthy is something to look forward to.

My guess is that he was cleared by doctors to participate at the level that KW was cleared for. Perhaps some individual work on the side, etc. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't participate in full team drills. Heck, I don't care if he waits until opening day just as long as he's finally 100%.

GO BILLS!!!