Toronto Series Extension

I will never see this as anything but a black eye to this once proud franchise, it is a collossal embarrassment to Bills fans and the city of Buffalo, and handicaps the franchise to have to play 9 away games a year. You want to grow your fan base in toronto? How about some travel packages and selling some luxury suites to Toronto based businesses?

I really hope the next owner of this team scraps this abomination of an idea, if you want to move the team just do it already, don't lie to die hard fans telling them it's to increase fan base, I'd say we're all smarter than that.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living so close to Toronto I agree with you.

I hated the idea of this series as soon as it was announced.

Toronto is about the worst place for any NFL team. The experience of going to a game in Toronto is just horrible.

I hope after this year the Bills never play another game in Toronto.

I will never see this as anything but a black eye to this once proud franchise, it is a collossal embarrassment to Bills fans and the city of Buffalo, and handicaps the franchise to have to play 9 away games a year. You want to grow your fan base in toronto? How about some travel packages and selling some luxury suites to Toronto based businesses?

I really hope the next owner of this team scraps this abomination of an idea, if you want to move the team just do it already, don't lie to die hard fans telling them it's to increase fan base, I'd say we're all smarter than that.

i could not agree more! i hate giving up home field advantage as a trade off for a money grab. that is all it is, i know all the naysayers will say "home field" has not been a difference the last few years, but it is the principle, the team is making enough or wilson would sell right?..

Edited by dwight in philly

I agree with you but why this now?

Was there some announcement?

I agree with you but why this now?

Was there some announcement?

Unfortunately, it looks like a new deal is close:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/5/15/3019495/buffalo-bills-in-toronto-series-extension

"It has been a few months since we were updated on the Buffalo Bills being optimistic about an extension of the team's series in Toronto, but wonder no more: Daniel Kaplan of the Sports Business Journal reported on Monday that an extension of the series appears imminent.

Kaplan writes that an extension of the series could be approved by the NFL's international committee as soon as this week."

I was hoping after the 5-year deal, that would have been it for the Toronto series. I understand why the Bills are doing it, but I don't like it. Even when the Bills were winning and played in Toronto last season against the Redskins, it didn't have that home-game atmosphere. Look at when Scott Chandler jumped in the stands, with only a photographer around him (and not a bunch of Bills fans).

Love it or hate it (I'm ok with it as long as no AFCE games are played there), the series HAS helped to regionalize (and thus make more financially viable) the franchise. I don't recall where I read it, but the Southern Ontario fan base has overtaken the Rochester fan base in season ticket support.

And don't forget, the Bills have SUCKED during the first years of the series. If we see a playoff-caliber team up there at the end of the year, I'm anxious to see how the composition (and excitement level) of the crowd changes.

Edited by eball

If it keeps the franchise in Buffalo, I'm all for it. Sure, the idea sucks, looks like it's about money, but we still have a team, we're not at the top of the "franchises to move to LA" list. And at least we're not like the Rams, playing games in London. THAT can't be about increasing fanbase!

I don't mind them going to T.O. to play one game. And sure it's about money. If it helps the Bills stay here will then I guess it a evil we have to deal with .

But my thing is if we have an open air stadium they should open the dome no matter what the weather is. I think it would be cool if we could see the skydome during the game. Plus we dont lose the weather advantage. That is my only problem with the games up there. Yea they dont have the tailgating which sucks for the fans but they can at least open up the dome.

I don't like giving up a home game to Rogers Centre any more than the next diehard Bills fan, but think most reasonable fans have grown resolved to to the reality that the revenue from this Toronto agreement, along with the growing Southern Ontario fan base, are vital to keeping the Buffalo Bills economically viable in the NFL's 2nd smallest market and the nation's 3rd poorest city.

At least the talk of expanding the series to more that one regular season game seems to have quieted...

“Our regionalization efforts are vital to keeping our franchise strong,” said Bills CEO Russ Brandon. “We are continuing to work with Rogers Communications to extend our agreement to play Bills games at Rogers Centre.Our fan base continues to grow significantly in southern Ontario, which is a benefit for games played at Ralph Wilson Stadium, as well. Maintaining a presence in Toronto will help our organization continue to strengthen its foothold in the region.” Under the current agreement, the Bills will have played one regular-season game annually in Toronto and two preseason games over five years. The new deal would largely mimic that arrangement. The Bills are scheduled to play Seattle on Dec. 16 in Toronto for this season’s game. A source said that no more than one game annually is necessary to provide the economic boost needed to keep the Bills viable in Buffalo. While attendance has been lower in Toronto than for games in Buffalo, Rogers pays the team a set fee for the games.

Link - NFL expected to re-up Bills-in-Toronto series

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

hopefully, if they have to have it....

it is a 3 year deal, one preseason game each year mandatory, and one non-division game in each of the 3 years.

I'd also add that the non-division opponent should not be a team like the Steelers/Packers/Cowboys with a huge (inter)national following.

My biggest problem with the Toronto series is that these "fans" are not loud and passionate for the Bills. Hopefully this will change as the Bills become more competitive on the field.

Love it or hate it (I'm ok with it as long as no AFCE games are played there), the series HAS helped to regionalize (and thus make more financially viable) the franchise. I don't recall where I read it, but the Southern Ontario fan base has overtaken the Rochester fan base in season ticket support.

And don't forget, the Bills have SUCKED during the first years of the series. If we see a playoff-caliber team up there at the end of the year, I'm anxious to see how the composition (and excitement level) of the crowd changes.

Exactly. The series was perhaps ill-timed. It performed more like the London series where no real home team existed. If the Bills are relevant (competing for playoffs, few deep playoff runs), I think the atmosphere will gradually shift over a period of 10-15 years. The only time I get salty about the whole deal is when I see articles in the Toronto papers that go something like, "Toronto Scheduled for Most Boring Bills Game."

Living so close to Toronto I agree with you.

I hated the idea of this series as soon as it was announced.

Toronto is about the worst place for any NFL team. The experience of going to a game in Toronto is just horrible.

I hope after this year the Bills never play another game in Toronto.

It's all aboot the money, Eh.