Merriman Update

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All steroids have a lingering effect - it's called muscle mass lol. Some steroid cycles have periods where advanced users don't take anything for 5-6 months. You don't lose your strength the day after you stop taking them. If you quit taking them forever, eventually your muscle mass will recede to "normal" levels - but for a gym-rat type like Merriman, that could take a long time.

Merriman also took 19+ tests for steroids by the NFL and failed just one of them.

He also had the same surgery that Kyle Williams had, yet everyone seems to expect Kyle Williams back at 100% and few seem to think Merriman will make it. I am not betting on him being the old Merriman who was a pro-bowler, but he has a decent chance to be a very strong player. He was good last year on one leg and with one shoulder. He works out like a madman. We'll see.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Merriman also took 19+ tests for steroids by the NFL and failed just one of them.

He also had the same surgery that Kyle Williams had, yet everyone seems to expect Kyle Williams back at 100% and few seem to think Merriman will make it. I am not betting on him being the old Merriman who was a pro-bowler, but he has a decent chance to be a very strong player. He was good last year on one leg and with one shoulder. He works out like a madman. We'll see.

Yea. What he said. They both had their achilles surgically removed from their ankle and reattached although I think it was done for different reasons.

Merriman has stayed with it a long time in trying to recover, and has mostly kept his poise. You cannot rule out a return to prior form, since he is doing the right things. I think that the prior approach of no surgery actually slowed his return to form. His chances this time are better than last, says me. NIX wanted to bet on this horse, NIX is the man, and I am waiting for this bet to play out favorably.

+1. I even thought I read somewhere that it COULDN'T be operated on, until it finished tearing. I could be wrong though.

Threads like this amuse me. Nobody around here has any idea what Merriman is or isn't able to do, and we won't know for another couple of months. Only a fool would EXPECT "lights out" to return, but it's just as foolish to completely write him off. Bottom line -- if he can be productive, he makes the Bills' defense that much stronger. We should all be rooting for that.

:thumbsup:

To me, not writing him off represents foolishness.

Can anyone name some players who suffered multiple severe injuries over a series of seasons that returned to become a viable player?

Didn't he say the same thing last offseason

Even if he is healthy he should and will be a situational pass rusher

Yup, and it lasted until he played hard on it.

He really wanted to avoid surgery, it looked promising that he could last year but couldn't. Hindsight clearly shows he should have had the surgery earlier.

If the operation worked... he showed some good play last year. Man did we miss his contain ability. We got killed around the edge.

Can anyone name some players who suffered multiple severe injuries over a series of seasons that returned to become a viable player?

There is always a first time.

Plus with his incentive laden contract, his past performance (juice enhanced as it was), and the ability to carry 10 more in camp I don't see anything foolish about taking a flyer on him.

there are multiple washed up QBs that came back. Some of them to become comeback player of the year. Priest Holmes, Fred Taylor, Theres more. I'm not dissagreeing with you but it's not exactly impossible.

Not weighing in to the Merriman debate, but actually he did NOT have the same surgery Kyle Williams had. I'll give an analogy to clothing repair in each case.

Kyle had a bone spur that was rubbing his Achilles. The intact Achilles tendon was detached, the bone spur ground down and smoothed, and then the intact Achilles tendon reattached.

Think of a piece of clothing where the stitching in the seam has ripped out. It's fairly straightforward to knot the loose threads on each side of the rip, sew the seam back together, and go.

The repair will easily be as strong as the original.

Merriman had an injured Achilles that was on the verge of completely rupturing. The damaged Achilles tendon was surgically repaired.

Think of a piece of clothing that has caught on a nail and torn. You can coax the loose fibers back into place and stitch across the tear, but the result will not be as strong as the original fabric.

The tendon, unlike fabric, will repair itself to some extent, and depending upon various factors, the repair may or may not be as strong and flexible as the original. And tendons repair themselves slowly.

That is the reason Kyle Williams' prognosis is pretty good, and Merriman's is more guarded.

Not weighing in to the Merriman debate, but actually he did NOT have the same surgery Kyle Williams had. I'll give an analogy to clothing repair in each case.

Kyle had a bone spur that was rubbing his Achilles. The intact Achilles tendon was detached, the bone spur ground down and smoothed, and then the intact Achilles tendon reattached.

Think of a piece of clothing where the stitching in the seam has ripped out. It's fairly straightforward to knot the loose threads on each side of the rip, sew the seam back together, and go.

Merriman had an injured Achilles that was on the verge of completely rupturing. The damaged Achilles tendon was surgically repaired.

Think of a piece of clothing that has caught on a nail and torn. You can coax the loose fibers back into place and stitch across the tear, but the result will not be as strong as the original fabric.

The tendon, unlike fabric, will repair itself to some extent, and depending upon various factors, the repair may or may not be as strong and flexible as the original. And tendons repair themselves slowly.

That is the reason Kyle Williams' prognosis is pretty good, and Merriman's is more guarded.

Really appreciate the insight on this. Thanks.

From what I know about KW's procedure, the materials used to reattach the tendon are actually stronger than the original one's nature gave us. This bodes well.

I wish I knew more about Merriman's injury and the materials used to repair the partial tear. On the bright side, it's a helluva lot more preferable than a ruptured tendon.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Do you have a link for Merriman's surgery?

Perhaps. But this is not the only place I had seen this. The achilles was only frayed. The same meaning they didn't have to completely repair it. They detached it the same way, repaired it, and then re-attached it in the same manner. It wasn't like the Takeo injury.

What's even more interesting is King did not even count Shawne Merriman into the equation. Yes, Merriman is still recovering from Achilles surgery, but it's not the year long recovery period for a ruptured achilles. Merriman's achilles was only frayed, so it was detached by doctors, repaired and then re-attached at the base of the heel (much like Kyle Williams surgery). If Merriman is a factor in this lineup even in a rotational role, look out.

http://blogs.buffalo...e-best-in-east/

Edited by Kelly the Dog

If he got Barnett and Super Mario to come here it was totally worth it

It's a nice urban legend, but somehow I doubt it. Barnett was on the couch waiting for the phone too ring, Mario like all of us digs$$$$.

I'm sure Merriman may have called them, but Dareus asking Mario Williams to watch film late into the night after dinner would hold more weight, than a guy who hasn't done anything on the field in years.