amazing - Nix and states that lost the Civil War

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguably? They've won the last umpteen national championships. In fact, last year they had both teams in the NCG. Whoever would argue with this is an idiot.

I don't think you'll see an argument, the SEC is clearly the best.

Believe me, I've got buddies who have stubbornly debated with me for years about the "SEC is the best conference" argument. :rolleyes:

It's rediculous. They play some decent football up north too.

I don't think they even bother to scout it.

ACC- SEC-blah-blah-blah

Could you stop posting and just go throw a temper tantrum in Walmart so mommy will pay attention to you

It doesn't upset me, but it troubles me. I've had the sense that the scouting has been kind of lazy. They just go after guys they know (colleges where Nix and Gailey have connections, guys Gailey coached in the North-South game, region that Nix used to scout, etc.). Might be fine; might also be too narrow a view of scouting.

Nix was hired because even Ralph Wilson noticed a trend, SEC and Southern Schools in general are playing for the NC and winning it pretty much every year.

Wilson went out and got a guy who knew the south like the back of his hand.

I am sorry for you guys who do not want to accept it, but right now the south is far superior to north or west. Its just a fact. If you want to win the NC you have to go thru the SEC. As Ohio State found out, that is easier said then done.

The other confrences do have some good players, but by far the level of competition is tougher in the south and particularly the SEC. If you can play well in that confrence your talents will translate better to the NFL- Big and fast.

Some of the picks went to high schools up north. The LB we got in the 5th came from Ohio. Remember Jim Kelly? Another northern kid that went to a southern school. You need guys who have played in snow and bad weather if you want to win at home. You can't really acquire that mindset in a couple of NFL seasons.

Believe me, I've got buddies who have stubbornly debated with me for years about the "SEC is the best conference" argument. :rolleyes:

Your buddies are idiots. They'd get along great with my buddies! :thumbsup:

Could it partially be that they are targeting a profile that just happens to mesh more with what coaches target and develop at LSU, bama, etc... to succeed in that division, as opposed to the type of players found at Ohio state, penn st etc....

They want big school, big conference guys- only leaving soooo many northern or western options right off the bat. They want guys with prototype size, and extra speed - and guys that played against that (kind of knocks out the northern guys that tend to be a bit less built for speed). You start following the profile and it runs regionally right into the heart of the south/southeast.

It's amazing to me how much attention this issue gets.

I will say, after moving south it's easy to see why the better prospects in almost all sports come from the south. The better weather allows for almost year round play of all sports, and the level of intensity of parents and school programs only fuels it further. Most northern kids have little chance when compared to how kids in the south grow up.

Your buddies are idiots. They'd get along great with my buddies! :thumbsup:

Wait, both of you hang out with guys that are idiots?

(connecting the dots)

Could it partially be that they are targeting a profile that just happens to mesh more with what coaches target and develop at LSU, bama, etc... to succeed in that division, as opposed to the type of players found at Ohio state, penn st etc....

They want big school, big conference guys- only leaving soooo many northern or western options right off the bat. They want guys with prototype size, and extra speed - and guys that played against that (kind of knocks out the northern guys that tend to be a bit less built for speed). You start following the profile and it runs regionally right into the heart of the south/southeast.

I believe the epicenter is in the area just south of Jackson, Mississippi.

In the past two drafts, the Bills have drafted 13 players. All went to southern schools. In three Nix drafts, 19 of the 22 players chosen went to southern schools, and of the 3 non-Southern players drafted in 09 (out of 9 total), all were late round picks. In 3 years of day 1 picks, 9 out of 9 choices went to southern schools.

It's the curse of Trent Edwards

Good thing Wannstedt spent time in tx and fla... Or he'd be out.

In all seriousness, Sec is the most well represented. Lack of big 10 anyway bucks the trend a little bit... But if they draft from the moon, ifstrategy works then stick to it.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-draft/2012/4/28/2983432/2012-nfl-draft-picks-college-conference-sec-pac-12-big-ten

Schefter replied to a tweet asking what he thought of the Bills Draft?

His response "excellent and they Bills can save some money by eliminating their Northern Scouting Staff"

Love it!!

Normally, the term "Mr. Irrelevant" refers to the last player picked in the draft. But on the Bills, it could refer to the regional scouts covering the Pacific Northwest, Southwest, Midwest, etc.

I'd be depressed if I was one of those scouts and all my work amounted to nada each and every draft day.

Normally, the term "Mr. Irrelevant" refers to the last player picked in the draft. But on the Bills, it could refer to the regional scouts covering the Pacific Northwest, Southwest, Midwest, etc.

I'd be depressed if I was one of those scouts and all my work amounted to nada each and every draft day.

Of course we don't know the boards, so although it might be stacked southern, part could also be the fact that guys like dareus and Gilmore really didn't have any PAC-10 challengers for the spot. Similarly Glenn and Williams were both first rounders that slid - perhaps, again, simply bpa

Even though they didn't get a high pick in there region, it could easily be that they rated there guys fairly and were happy to follow the board still.

Edited by NoSaint

Well, they do have some hot cheerleaders in those conferences. And the scenery's nice in the western states...

Hmmmmm. Well, presumably these guys are involved in developing the board and can argue for their players. After that it comes down to whether you're a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" kind of guy.

You have to visit a bunch of houses you don't want to buy to recognize the house you'll put in a contract for when you see it.