RD 3, Pick #69: WR TJ Graham - NC State

SDS

I do remember chan saying how much he wanted to use roscoe last year...then we get clowney and now this guy...I think gailey has many screens in his offensive plans this year...still think he woulda been there later...I really wish we would have gone for a depth player there (lb, OL, dt) but who knows, may be our best pick! Only time will tell.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a lot of head-scratching about T.J. Graham and why the Bills traded up 2 spots to get him. But I highly doubt it was because they wanted to keep another team from getting him. I have a feeling Buffalo completed the trade with the Redskins early, believing Reuben Randle might drop to pick #69 (he went to the Giants at 63). I was screaming at my flat-screen for the Bills to move up earlier to get Randle and they came up 6 spots short! At that point, I bet the trade was in the books and I'm guessing they scrambled to find a receiver on their board with blazing speed...

Miami's Tommy Streeter is 6-5 and lightening fast, but he has trouble getting off the line and is raw on his routes. A few other "big targets" are much slower than Graham, who ran a 4.41 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. Mohamed Sanu ran a 4.67, Juron Criner a 4.68, and Nick Toon a 4.54. The two guys that compare to Graham are Arkansas WR Joe Adams (who tore it up at the Senior Bowl) and T.Y. Hilton, who the Colts picked at #92. But Graham's taller and heavier than both of them at just under 6 feet and 188 lbs (Hilton is 5'9 1/2", 183 and Adams is 5-10, 180).

Graham may appear to be a Roscoe Parrish replacement, but he's more like a young Lee Evans. He'll add the vertical threat that Lee gave Buffalo and should be as electrifying as Roscoe in the open field. After watching some of his highlights, I was pleasantly surprised at how dynamic he is with the ball in his hands. Chan Gailey said the kid can "flat out fly" and I can imagine him stretching the field as a decoy for Stevie Johnson and David Nelson. If Marcus Easley can truly be their #2, the Bills will be set at the WR position. But don't be surprised if they take a stab at one more wideout, who possesses the height they covet.

My dark horse is Ryan Tannehill's favorite target at Texas Tech. Jeff Fuller is a monster at 6-4, 215 and would give Nix and the Bills a receiver who "is open, even when he's covered." Fuller shattered the Aggies' all-time record for touchdown catches with 34, was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, and his father is an Aggie grad who played in the NFL for the 49ers. Fuller never heard his name called over the weekend, so he'll be available as an undrafted free agent. Buffalo should act fast to take a flier on Fuller, because he won't be "free" for long... Get'r done, Buddy!!!

Edited by dcjoev

does anyone actually remember roscoe ever catching a deep ball?

ya graham's small and plays slot, but almost every NFL receiver is small and quick. It doesn't make them all the same player

Jets game where they blew us out 2 years ago. Garbage time TD.

Post your reaction here...

Wow WTF was Nixing thinking :blink: :blink: . Never even heard of this guy and could have been had way latter, then he trades up for him :oops: :oops: Really!? Mr. I never trades picks, trades up two whole spots for a jitterbug WR :wallbash: First he could just waited the two picks to get him, second they Could had:

T.Y. Hilton Florida Int'l 5'10" 183 WR

Chris Rainey Florida 5'8" 180 WR

Devon Wylie Fresno State 5'9" 187 WR

who are more explosive and are ranked way higher than Graham. :sick:

Here's some more perspective:

http://www.cnnsi.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/breakdowns/by_position/WR.html

The draft order of the receivers starts to get a bit more unpredictable as outside the first handful of picks. If you look at the grades on that chart, you're talking a tenth of a point between 10 guys. Which means nothing.

I really thought they were targeting Brian Quick since it was odd for them to use one of their 30 pre-draft interviews on a guy that was projected as a 2nd to 3rd round pick AND was the only other WR aside from Blackmon they interviewed. The Rams took him much earlier than most people thought. According to this chart, there were 6 more Top 10 graded WRs available when they opted for Quick. Perhaps the Bills were targeting him and didn't want to let another guy they'd graded highly get away. Sure, it was unlikely - but what's a 7th rounder to make sure you're not redoing your 3rd day plan?

Looks like they really wanted WR in round 3, apparently along with everyone else, saw their targeted guys getting picked and a run on receivers starting and decided to make sure they got at least one of the guys they liked. Good move. I liked our WRs already, so this is just icing on the cake. Chan can make a college dropout look good at WR.

Reminds me a bit of DeSean Jackson or Lee Evans. He's taller than Roscoe and seems to have more speed rather than quickness like Roscoe has. Also looks to be more sturdy.

Probably a reach, but I can see some value in having a guy that fast on the field. Let's face it, Stevie, Nelson, & Easley aren't really deep threats.

Btw, anyone remember how good Parrish looked in the Gailey offense before he got hurt? This guy is a lot bigger than Parrish and hopefully as a younger guy, won't end up hurt.

You need speed opposite Stevie.

That said, I was hoping LB.

1335593648[/url]' post='2450628']

does anyone actually remember roscoe ever catching a deep ball?

ya graham's small and plays slot, but almost every NFL receiver is small and quick. It doesn't make them all the same player

Graham is not huge but also not small. As others have said, he's more like Lee Evans.

Reminds me a bit of DeSean Jackson or Lee Evans. He's taller than Roscoe and seems to have more speed rather than quickness like Roscoe has. Also looks to be more sturdy.

Probably a reach, but I can see some value in having a guy that fast on the field. Let's face it, Stevie, Nelson, & Easley aren't really deep threats.

This.

Also reminds me of a Santonio Holmes. Almost exact same size. Not saying he'll end up playing like Holmes, Jackson or Evans. But the comparisons to Parrish are kind of a joke. This kid looks like he can play the outside and will compete to play there. The Bills brass obviously thought enough of him to go and get him, so I'm ok with it.

Lets not all forget that Mayock is not the end all be all. Last year he couldn't shut up about how much of a can't miss prospect Blaine Gabbert was. So for me, after the first round, most draftniks are useless and so are draft analysts

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Looks like they really wanted WR in round 3, apparently along with everyone else, saw their targeted guys getting picked and a run on receivers starting and decided to make sure they got at least one of the guys they liked. Good move. I liked our WRs already, so this is just icing on the cake. Chan can make a college dropout look good at WR.

then why didnt Chan make our rag tag group or WRs any good? aside from Stevie (and maybe Nelson in the red zone) we have a whole bunch of trash who cant catch or get open

Also, remember that roscoe is gone, so we need a punt catcher and I don't really want to see spiller back there for fear of injuries.

It's not who I would have taken (massie), but I trust Nix. Let's see how it turns out, but at a minimum a deep threat and a return man was a need.

Ranked as the 24th best WR. WOW.....

Height: 5-11. Weight: 188.

40 Time: 4.41. 10-Yd Split: 1.47.

Vertical: 33.5.

Broad: 10-0.

Arm: 31 3/4. Hand: 9.

Projected Round (2012): 5-6.

4/24/12: Graham had a nice week at the Senior Bowl. He was a quick wide out who showed the ability to be a slot receiver in the NFL. Graham performed well at the Combine also, putting up one of the fastest 10-yard splits. He had 46 receptions for 757 yards and seven scores this season. Graham also returned 44 kicks averaging 22 yards per return. In the previous three seasons, his highest reception total was 25. He is one of the better returners in the draft and that helps his stock.

The NFL might be getting rid of that aspect of the game all together here soon. Oh and who was this pick. Would rather have taken Sanu or McNutt at that spot. Both have better hands then this guy. Looks like an Al Davis pick to me.