RD 3, Pick #69: WR TJ Graham - NC State

SDS

an interesting stat I came across:

Graham had receptions of at least 47 yards in five games this season while catching a team-high 46 passes.

That is some serious big play capability. The comparisons to Mike Wallace have been made on a few sites that I've looked at as well. The low number of catches originally jumped out at me but they somehow led the team which made me feel better. Also learning about his track ability (I know it doesn't always translate) had me impressed as well. Let's hope his dad doesn't get him on the clear... or maybe that he does :devil:

just found something else interesting:

30 WRs taken in the 3rd round since 2007 and those guys averaged 14 catches for 182 yards and 0.6 touchdowns during their first year. Half the list had 10 catches or fewer and only four players had over 30 catches.

Edited by section122

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

an interesting stat I came across:

Graham had receptions of at least 47 yards in five games this season while catching a team-high 46 passes.

That is some serious big play capability. The comparisons to Mike Wallace have been made on a few sites that I've looked at as well. The low number of catches originally jumped out at me but they somehow led the team which made me feel better. Also learning about his track ability (I know it doesn't always translate) had me impressed as well. Let's hope his dad doesn't get him on the clear... or maybe that he does :devil:

If he could turn into a Mike Wallace type WR or even Antonio Brown who was a special teams player turned WR we would have a complete steal in this guy. Like most reviews state, speed cannot be taught. route running can. Lets just hope he has some good hands!

If he has Beebe's career, is he worth a 3?

Personally I thought Beebe was really over-rated by Bills fans. But if Graham becomes a valuable cog and missing link in an explosive Bills offense because of his speed and he makes teams pay once in a while for ignoring him and his speed and threat opens up the field for Nelson and Chandler and SJ and Freddy and CJ and Brad Smith, as well as the run game because teams cannot crowd the line with their safeties and just worry about taking away the Bills shirt passing game, then hell yeah.

If he's Don Beebe, it's a "fail" grade as a pick. The Bills drafted TJ Graham to be a great #2 receiver opposite Stevie Johnson. The only reason we're all have the great "was TJ Graham worth a 3rd" debate is because Glenn was there at #41. If Glenn wasn't there then they would have drafted Hill. I think fans are way overreacting to the pick. It was only a 3rd and we should have a little faith that Nix knows what he's doing considering the upswell of real optimism surrounding the team.

In all fairness, I don't think even Beebe has Beebe's career if not for who he was surrounded by on offense. Kelly, Reed, Lofton, Thurman, and four OLmen that went to the Pro Bowl at one time or another. Not to mention a fifth, in John Davis, who deserved to as well.

At least Graham comes from a school and conference people have heard of before. NOBODY knew where Chadron St. was let alone any of it's players. He's already got a leg up on Beebe right there.

GO BILLS!!!

If he's Don Beebe, it's a "fail" grade as a pick.

Bupkis. If Graham can duplicate Beebe's career stats he'll have justified his 3rd round value. Given that it's a more pass happy NFL today, that shouldn't be too hard.

Even discounting his stats, Beebe played an important role in clearing out the underneath stuff for Reed.

This guy is nothing like Roscoe Parrish IMO. He is pure speed, not necessarily shifty. Roscoe was the opposite, one of the shiftiest guys in the NFL, but not necessarily the fastest.

Also, size wise this guy "towers" over Roscoe. Approximately 6' 180 lbs. Roscoe is listed at 5-9 170, but when you seem him in person it sure looks a lot more like 5-8 160.

Graham is a track guy and probably compares more to Andre Davis (who I went to high school with) who played with Vick in college. Hopefully he is better.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Was thinking Wallace or Denarious Moore, obviously that's hopeful, but skillset and size seem comparable.

exactly - i hate to use the household names, as wed be lucky if he ever makes an impact as a 3rd rounder - but you have to in order to have the familiarity needed in the discussion. the more i see the less i buy the roscoe or even lee knee jerk that we (myself included) had on friday.

Mike Wallace

6'0", 199 lbs

Last college year: 39 rec, 784 yds, 7 tds

40 time: 4.28

Vertical: 40

TJ Graham

5'11", 188 lbs

Last college year: 46 rec, 757 yds, 7 tds

40 time: 4.41

Vertical: 33

Aside from college production.. they don't exactly match up. However...

Percy Harvin

5'11", 192 lbs

Last college year: 40 rec, 644 yds, 7 tds

40 time: 4.39

Vertical: 37

Hopefully he can fill a role similar to what Percy Harvin does in Minnesota. He's a dynamic game changer with his speed and agility in the passing game.

Mike Wallace

6'0", 199 lbs

TJ Graham

5'11", 188 lbs

Percy Harvin

5'11", 192 lbs

Hopefully he can fill a role similar to what Percy Harvin does in Minnesota. He's a dynamic game changer with his speed and agility in the passing game.

Great post, Rhody.

Yeah all the comparisons to date have been off the mark, AFAIC… especially the Mike Wallace ones although I appreciate that part of that is because Wallace was also a 3rd rounder.

Your's definitely gets it a lot closer although wasn't Harvin used quite a bit as a running back too? He might be a bit more robust than Graham.

Anyways, the perfect comparison is out there somewhere and we're getting closer.

Great post, Rhody.

Yeah all the comparisons to date have been off the mark, AFAIC… especially the Mike Wallace ones although I appreciate that part of that is because Wallace was also a 3rd rounder.

Your's definitely gets it a lot closer although wasn't Harvin used quite a bit as a running back too? He might be a bit more robust than Graham.

Anyways, the perfect comparison is out there somewhere and we're getting closer.

Thanks for the props San Jose.

And you're right, Harvin did carry the ball a lot in college (70 times in his final year :blink:) but I think that was probably more a product of the option offense they ran (with Tebow). He did carry the ball 54 times last year for Minnesota, but that was more a product of Adrian Peterson getting hurt. Harvin had the majority of his carries in the games that he missed (the 2 years prior he had 15 and 18 carries).

Percy Harvin's versatility is what pushed him up into the first round, but from what I know about TJ Graham, they could play a similar role in the passing and return game.

Edited by Billsrhody

Mike Wallace

6'0", 199 lbs

TJ Graham

5'11", 188 lbs

Percy Harvin

5'11", 192 lbs

Santonio Holmes:

5'11 and 188

40: 4.35

Vertical: 38

Was what I was seeing a bit of, which with tj clocking a bit slower than expected isn't far off.

Point being across the board is he has the measurables to be a player.

Edited by NoSaint

TJ Graham

5'11", 188 lbs

Last college year: 46 rec, 757 yds

David Clowney

5'11", 188 lbs

Last college year: 34 rec, 424 yds

40 time: 4.37

Vertical: 32

They were also both track stars in college. Clowney may even be more of a burner - he once ran a 4.29 in the 40.

TJ Graham

5'11", 188 lbs

Last college year: 46 rec, 757 yds

David Clowney

5'11", 188 lbs

Last college year: 34 rec, 424 yds

40 time: 4.37

Vertical: 32

They were also both track stars in college. Clowney may even be more of a burner - he once ran a 4.29 in the 40.

As I've previously noted, Clowney has big shoes to fill.