RD 3, Pick #69: WR TJ Graham - NC State

SDS

As soon as I heard the interview with the kid that you posted, I thought that there is no wonder they liked him. He obviously is a well spoken, intelligent kid - who happens to have great speed as well.

I have said this before, Buddy puts a premium on character. I doubt that this kid has ever been in trouble in his life.

That's what I was getting at. He fits what we run very well. Quick throws and he gets YAC. I don't think anyone really knows anything about any player drafted past RD 2, including every NFL team. Based on who and where they scouted heavily they wanted this guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=syQVdu2-FMk&feature=related

Watch this, well spoken kid, good genes (track family history), and wants to win.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few NC State games, it always seemed like he dropped 3-4 balls a game. He has speed but dude always seemed to run poor routes.

And from everything I've read about Stevie Johnson, he excels in this offense because it doesn't require the precision in route running that some others do which accomodates the unothodox way he gets into and out of breaks. This guy is a matchup nightmare in the slot, Even if you just run him straight up the seam. We had nobody on the team with killer speed on the outside - I don't need the guy to do everything today. Run fast, scare safeties, break long runs off missed tackles. We have plenty of tall physical guys, need someone scary to free up space for the other guys. Think of it this way, even if he only runs 9 routes we reacquired Lee Evans for a 3rd round pick and still have the 4th we got for Evans in our pocket to take Bobby Massie or whomever else you had a hard-on for.

I admit that teams are going all over the map now, but this is just a strange pick. Why not just keep Roscoe and take a LB, another OT or a CB here?

He IS fast, at least.

He's been much more durable than Roscoe, is a bit bigger, and at least listening to them talk on WGR, he can get off the line better than Roscoe.

I need someone smarter than I am to explain why we traded up to draft a guy no one--not even a poster who lives near NC State--has ever heard of.

because it is generally a bad idea to base draft picks on whether TBD posters have 'heard of them'?

My guess is he will be the '3rd outside receiver'. He'll line up and sprint down the field which would likely outdistance the linebacker/3rd corner on him and force a safety to swing over and pick him up.

Edited by jeremy2020

here's Chan opening up a bit on what they liked

Gailey said, “He’s an outside guy. The speed and he’s 5’11 and something, close to six foot there. He can run by most everybody. The guy can fly. Like Buddy said he can catch. He’s got some return ability. I don’t know that we’ll have him do that right off the bat. We’ll have him work at receiver more than anything and let him become proficient there.

He ran some routes. You’ll see him catch the little key route where he just stands up and they throw it out there and he makes somebody miss and runs the football. He was in the slot and ran down the middle. He ran down the sideline. He played different spots for them and did different things for them.

He wasn’t just one of those little fast guys that ran the bubble (screen) where they dump it to him. He wasn’t one of those guys. He’s a guy that has some skill running the football. The difference with him than maybe some of the other guys that we saw on film was when he got it he would take it and run north and south and not shying away running out of bounds and all that stuff. He’s trying to go north and south with the football.”

I personally don't like the pick. It is too much out of left field, and there were other recievers I would have liked more. Then again, I never heard of this kid, know nothing about him, so my opinion means even less than usual. and the more I hear, the more it sounds like he isn't going to do much for us.

But for me, the saving grace is that they moved up a little bit to get him. I know that bothers people, but I see it as a plus. They must see something in this kid, and it wasn't just the scouts, but gailey too. Like he has a plan on how to use him. And this is the same regime that grabbed Donald jones and David Nelson off the crap heap and turned them into productive players. if they can do that to those two, then I am sure they can do something positive with this guy, and probably even more if they were willing to use a third on him. It also makes me feel better that they don't plan on using him as a returner. That means they drafted him because they really think he can stretch the field. if he can stretch the field, then that is great. All those people that were saying "stevie is going to get tripple teamed" can rest easy then.

I also have a small theory based on the this year and last years draft. I would venture to speculate that nix has the most say on the first two picks, and in the third round, he leans more to what gailey says. Last year, in the third round, they took sheppard who gailey pushed for, since he saw him in the senior bowl. And now with this kid, gailey had the most to say about him, more than nix had to say. It probably means nothing, and maybe I am looking too much into it, but it was a simple observation.

Nice interview and Senior Bowl highlights of TJ

If you haven't viewed this interview, you should. The kid aced it.

But he wore #83 at Senior Bowl. Can we retire #83 already? It's kinda ridicluous.

Edited by JPS