Buddy Nix online chat recap

Beerball

Why does anyone think Buddy Nix would tip his hand in an online chat two days before the draft? Come on, people. It is just as likely the Bills will pick Keuchly now as it was a minute before the online chat started. Or not. Or possibly.

Why does anyone think Buddy Nix would tip his hand in an online chat two days before the draft? Come on, people. It is just as likely the Bills will pick Keuchly now as it was a minute before the online chat started. Or not. Or possibly.

So essentially this chat was a waste of everyone's time ? I think it provides entertainment and occupies people who try to interpret his obfuscations into pick predictions. As it stands, he has said so many things about the different positions that no matter which we pick (except for TE), there will have been some Nix statement that hinted towards that pick. Which also means that there is really no point in trying to guess the pick based on his answers.

I completely agree with you. He kind of gave it away when he said that he had Butkus rated higher than Keuchly.

It sounds like smokescreen in all fronts. Talking down WRs, LBs compared to CBs. Throw in a OT and you have a schmorgesboard of crap to sift through. It really shows that Nix is not tipping his hand in any direction. He wants to keep teams looking to move ahead of us at bay so that we can get our guy. He's said there's guys that are no brainers at 10 it's just a matter of if they are there or not. He's got to e talking about guys expected to be there. We all know Rg3, Luck, Kalil, Blackmon are all expected to be gone. So I can't guess one guy or position over another really but I'd say we will end up with one of the following:

Keukly

Floyd

Gilmore/Kirkpatrick

Reiff/Martin/Glenn

Tannehill

honestly, I'm ok with any one of them and would be happy with any one of these guys in the 1st. I'm torn on Tannehill because he's more for the future and not about this year I'm ok if they really think he is the franchise guy of the future.

It's amazing how everyone comes away with a different interpretation.

It is, sounds like everybody reads into it what the want to read into it.

My take: If Kalil is available (doubtful) they'll take him. I not and Gilmore is there, he's the pick (he's my guess for the "no brainer" if available.)

If Kalil and Gilmore are gone (and I think they both will be) the pick will be Kuechly.

As for Floyd, I like his game a lot but with all his off the field problems I'm not sure they'll pick him at 10 - particularly without a visit. This is the type of player you NEED to visit so you can get an entire day with him and get a first hand perspective on the young man and his earnestness about turning things around. I don't think a visit for most players is necessary, but for a guy with past off field transgressions it is.

Edited by MDH

Pretty clear LB isn't happening at 10 so get over it. Also, we'll have a WR and CB within the first 3 rounds (probably first 2). Also no Barron that much was obvious from the chat.

I knew someone was going to say this. I will laugh my ass off if the Bills draft Kuechly in round 1, then trade up for Fleener. Do you really think ANY GM will reveal anything at this point??

No way!

So essentially this chat was a waste of everyone's time ? I think it provides entertainment and occupies people who try to interpret his obfuscations into pick predictions. As it stands, he has said so many things about the different positions that no matter which we pick (except for TE), there will have been some Nix statement that hinted towards that pick. Which also means that there is really no point in trying to guess the pick based on his answers.

Yes.

The 'no brainer' one is kalil. There has been some talk that he may slide because of 'needs' of teams ahead of Buffalo. If this happens, highly doubt it, then Buddy wastes no time and takes him. I can actually see the t.v announcers having to say ' whats that? ok, we are not going to go to a commercial, Buffalo already has their man'.

Hey we can all dream, it has been a great offseason so far, lets keep the momentum going!

To me, Justin Blackmon is the only no brainer outside of the QBs. He was just interviewed on ESPN and that's the kind of guy you want. Just think how pumped you would be if the Bills somehow drafted Blackmon. Everyone else is a distant 2nd. I wouldn't even be upset if we traded up for him.

I knew someone was going to say this. I will laugh my ass off if the Bills draft Kuechly in round 1, then trade up for Fleener. Do you really think ANY GM will reveal anything at this point??

No way!

Alright JPS. I will remember this too and eat my own words if they do. But they won't, and then you can eat your words.

Sounds like we won't be taking a WR at #10

Yeah, I'd agree that WR is a big longshot, with LB being an even bigger longshot.

I don't think Nix deviates from trend. The pick visited early at OBD...and wasn't a WR or LB.

Given what teams are doing with TE's around the league, it's hard to understand the mindset behind not selecting a one. Chandler, Caussin, Brock, and Cinnibun are probably the worst collection of TE's in the NFL and offer very little in the receiving game. Chandler had less than 4 catches or less 11 out of 14 games for a team that threw the ball 578 times last year.

this

Given what teams are doing with TE's around the league, it's hard to understand the mindset behind not selecting a one. Chandler, Caussin, Brock, and Cinnibun are probably the worst collection of TE's in the NFL and offer very little in the receiving game. Chandler had less than 4 catches or less 11 out of 14 games for a team that threw the ball 578 times last year.

Cinnibun...yum.

Does "less than 4 catches or less" really mean 3 catches or less?

The TE crop in this year's draft is remarkably poor after Fleener. Don't know what the big deal is in Buddy saying they won't draft one (if he was being honest). He didn't say "we don't believe in having good pass-catching TEs." And honestly, aren't there bigger needs for depth and competition at other positions?

Hahaha. I can't believe GMs are doing this kind of thing, but its interesting.

Btw, the guy who he has as a no brainer at 10 has to be Kalil or Gilmore.

Sounds like a definite no on WRs.

Kalil and blackmon more like it, maybe even claiborne. Definatly not gilmore, if jax doesn't select him which i dont think they will he will fall into the teens, as everyones sayin hes got the size and speed, but doesnt have good coverage or ball skills

The Bills offense isn't exactly predicated on maximizing use of the tight end. Chandler is pretty good all around and Lee Smith seems to be a pretty good blocker. We mostly run multiple WR sets. The TE just isn't a huge focal point of the Bills attack. Just because NE is big on the TE doesn't mean it's the only way to run an offense.

Not only that, looking back at least season the Bills were sorta openly amendment about how much they liked Von Miller and Cam Newton.... so look what happened there. Not that they are unhappy with MD, just think they wanted Newton and Miller more.

I think they aren't going to show any interest in any of the top ten players hoping to get the guy they covet., or hoping that one of the top 5 players falls to them

I think nix's comment is more of a statement on the lack of depth for TE in this draft.

If they do not take Fleener @ 41 (if he is there) is there a TE project in the draft with more potential than Onobun?

If you look back in hindsight, Buddy spelled out pretty clearly who he was going to take in 2010 and 2011(Spiller/Dareus).

If I take these comments with that in mind - its going to be a CB, likely Gilmore as Kalil (the two guy he would love to have, along with a second and third in Claibounre and Blackmon) is gone.

Pretty clear LB isn't happening at 10 so get over it. Also, we'll have a WR and CB within the first 3 rounds (probably first 2). Also no Barron that much was obvious from the chat.

Comment From Guest How big of an impact do deeper positions in the later rounds affect your top few picks?

Buddy Nix: It does affect it. If you think you can fill a need later on it'll help determine what you do early.

Comment From Trev Ronholm How do you feel about the value at LB versus the WR position in this years draft? Do you feel LB is a position of need for the Bills?

Buddy Nix: I think depth at LB is certainly a position of need. I think the draft is much deeper at WR than it is LB.

Soooooo, 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 LB, 2 CB, no TE

And a few weeks ago, Nix said he wanted to get two offensive tackles. Now when he makes these comments he could also be including undrafted free agents.

To the smokescreen conspiracists, Nix is no dummy. He's shrewd as hell and he works in a hyper-competitive business. Of course he's not going to tip his hand.

But if you compare Nix's chats/interviews with those of other NFL moguls, he IS very straightforward.

He may have said that "lying isn't a sin this time of year" but in the time he's been in Buffalo, he's never said anything which later could be seen as deceiving.

He'll keep some things secret but he's not going to mislead.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Not only that, looking back at least season the Bills were sorta openly amendment about how much they liked Von Miller and Cam Newton.... so look what happened there. Not that they are unhappy with MD, just think they wanted Newton and Miller more.

I think they aren't going to show any interest in any of the top ten players hoping to get the guy they covet., or hoping that one of the top 5 players falls to them

I don't know. Judging from the way Buddy reacted with pure glee after Denver announced the Miller pick, it sure looked like he was much happier to have the chance to get Dareus. No doubt they wanted Newton.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9