Draft format...old way or new?

103 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have the traditional first three rounds on Satuday or the current format over three days?

• Rounds 1-3 Saturday; 4-7 Sunday
    • Round 1 Friday in Primtime; 2-3 Saturday;4-7 Sunday
    • Round 1 Thursday; Round 2-3 Friday; 4-7 Saturday
    • Other

It is a tough call for me since there are pros and cons to both. I think I enjoyed the Saturday format better just because we saw 3 rounds in one day. Seeing just one round on day one is just not as good as seeing 3 rounds. It loses momentum

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I didn't think I'd like the new format when it was announced but I thought it was great last year. My weekends are too busy to sit and watch for hours, but on a Thursday night I can watch the whole 1st round uninterrupted with the kids in bed, and if we don't have plans do the same thing on Friday.

Plus, I honestly lose interest in seeing every pick after the Bills make their 2d round pick, so I'm happy to get the Bills picks via iphone or TBD for the later rounds.

I prefer waking up Saturday, ordering pizza and wings and setting up the laptop for a day.

Broken up it loses momentum. I'm no longer watching with eyes towards who will be there in a few hours and instead "let me know if there's a trade" once our pick comes in and then Friday I tend to have things going on and suddenly Saturday it's hard to get back in the swing for late rounders

Edited by NoSaint

Good Poll!!! I was wondering the other day what Folks thought about this exact topic...

I don't like the new format much...I used to love it when it was just the weekend...But I would rather see a Fri, Sat, Sun if they want 3 days...Anyway... B-)

I prefer waking up Saturday, ordering pizza and wings and setting up the laptop for a day.

Broken up it loses momentum. I'm no longer watching with eyes towards who will be there in a few hours and instead "let me know if there's a trade" once our pick comes in and then Friday I tend to have things going on and suddenly Saturday it's hard to get back in the swing for late rounders

This, exactly. Used to be an awesome "man day" of vegging out on the couch. Now it's so spread out that it's almost impossible to stay interested in the entire thing.

I can't stand the new format. Saturday and Sunday please!!! I work til 6pm pst so I have to either get Thursday off or ask for an EO. Then I miss round 2-3 on Friday. I used to just get Saturday off and I was good to see the most important picks.

I hate the new format. The old format was one of my very favorite days (Saturday) and weekends of the whole year. The draft parties were awesome. Now it sucks, especially just the one round on thursday. Extremely disappointed in this.

Yeah, I kinda liked the old format better myself. Loved goin' to the draft party @ RICH, then goin' back to the Draft Cave (LancasterSteve's place) to check out the rest of the first day, followed by Mark VI bringin' over the breakfast pizza on Sunday mornin' for the second day's festivities. But, like some have said, I can see the plusses of the new format, especially when it comes to havin' the time to really strategize and engineer trades.

This, exactly. Used to be an awesome "man day" of vegging out on the couch. Now it's so spread out that it's almost impossible to stay interested in the entire thing.

For sure - a lot of times wed set up a bbq or some poker on day 2 when the focus started to get off the each pick. I used to really look forward to draft day. Now (obviously i still look forward to finding out who we get) it has become much less enjoyable.

For me, last draft Saturday sucked. The girlfriend constantly whined, "But you already watched it on Thursday! Why do you need to see it again?" :rolleyes:

(She now gets the credit card and the car of her choice on draft weekend and fantasy football draft days).

For me, last draft Saturday sucked. The girlfriend constantly whined, "But you already watched it on Thursday! Why do you need to see it again?" :rolleyes:

(She now gets the credit card and the car of her choice on draft weekend and fantasy football draft days).

I liked it better on Saturday. I would have a big party. Some guys would stop by that day that I would only see at the Bills games. It is just one less day that my friends & I don't get to hang out with each other now.

Agree with most in this thread -- draft Saturday used to be awesome, now it's lame. I already have things I can do (or TV I can watch) on a Thursday night; who cares that the first round happens to be on?

I will say that if the NFL does get the broadcasts to stop tipping picks, that would be a huge improvement. Last year was just awful to watch. So anti-climactic.

If enough people vote of this topic to make it meaningful, maybe Scott or one the helpers could formally submit it to the Bills and to the NFL as an expression of the fans. Might be cool to get other teams' fan sites to do the same.

The new format is absolute garbage!

All day Saturday with a draft board, good food and family or friends is the way to go.

After the draft, add the new, good players to Madden and have at it...

I don't want to work all day, wait until 8 PM and then work the next day?

This format is like a Thursday night mens bowling league...no thanks.

If enough people vote of this topic to make it meaningful, maybe Scott or one the helpers could formally submit it to the Bills and to the NFL as an expression of the fans. Might be cool to get other teams' fan sites to do the same.

the only poll they care about is TV ratings.

I will say that if the NFL does get the broadcasts to stop tipping picks, that would be a huge improvement. Last year was just awful to watch. So anti-climactic.

This does ruin a lot of the excitement of the draft. I love how the analysts still sit there and pretend the pick is going to be a surprise when everyone in the world has already seen the obvious player on his cell phone and crying for the past 5 minutes.

And for the record, Saturday by far for the first few rounds for me. Made for a perfect all day party that usually coincided with some of the first nice days to be outside for us around the NYS area.

I like the way it is now. That way, there are 3 days where I don't have to anything around the house because my wife knows it's the draft.

pssh id rather take a full weekend, than 2 nights and a saturday where you start getting nagged for watching that again

pssh id rather take a full weekend, than 2 nights and a saturday where you start getting nagged for watching that again

My wife knows that I watch the draft every year. I also play the "after 25 years in the military, I have earned the right to watch what I want to watch" card. That, coupled with the "I don't complain about what you watch every other night" argument convinces her to leave me alone.

Edited by jjmac

I like the new prime time setup.

I wish the league would find a way to stop the "tipping" of picks. That isn't only awkward but takes out any semblance of anticipation when the pick is read at the podium.

Its not even close.

We had an annual BBQ on Saturday during the draft.

Now its seems stupid BBQ for 4th round picks.

Bring back the Saturday afternoon 1st round draft!!!

If you want to spread out than have Monday be the 4th through 7th.

Edited by Why So Serious?