FYI: OT Mike Adams tested positive at Combine

Walmarts do the pee test. The Publix supermarkets in fl. do mouth swabs. I understand the mouth swabs detect thc up to 6 months after use.

Cycling on the sidewalk is probably more dangerous than Pot. You can hurt yourself and others. Pot on the other hand not so much

My son skateboarded into a mailbox once.....20 stitches. Not sure if he was high .

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Various feelings on the legality of Marijuana are irrelevant (I'm in favor of legalizing it. There's no solid research showing it's worse than alchohol or a 'gateway' drug).

It is currently illegal. The NFL does not like players doing illegal things regardless. It's a 'hot button' issue.

The concern this makes is that he was:

1. Arrogant that the rules didn't apply to him.

2. Stupid that he didn't think he'd get caught

3. Lacks self control to not smoke weed long enough for it to be out of his system by the time of the combine

It's like a company you're interviewing with that is planning to offer you millions tells you, "Don't wear an orange tie" and you wear an orange tie and they made it very clear that they literally meant what they said.

Edited by jeremy2020

Various feelings on the legality of Marijuana are irrelevant (I'm in favor of legalizing it. There's no solid research showing it's worse than alchohol or a 'gateway' drug).

It is currently illegal. The NFL does not like players doing illegal things regardless. It's a 'hot button' issue.

3. Lacks self control to not smoke weed long enough for it to be out of his system by the time of the combine

It's like a company you're interviewing with that is planning to offer you millions tells you, "Don't wear an orange tie" and you wear an orange tie and they made it very clear that they literally meant what they said.

Exactly. Lot's of whats wrong with pot posts here. IT IS A CONDITION OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT THAT YOU NOT USE IT. Case closed.

THC and the remnants that they test for get stored in fat cells. I wouldn't assume that he blew off the test. If he were dehydrated, having just worked out, and burned fat, then he would have shown positive, even if it were more than two weeks before. If he were super hydrated, then he might have smoked the day before, and tested negative. He wasn't blatantly disregarding the test, imo.

THC and the remnants that they test for get stored in fat cells. I wouldn't assume that he blew off the test. If he were dehydrated, having just worked out, and burned fat, then he would have shown positive, even if it were more than two weeks before. If he were super hydrated, then he might have smoked the day before, and tested negative. He wasn't blatantly disregarding the test, imo.

So he couldn't hold off from smoking pot for 2 weeks? He's still an idiot.

Bill Polian: If in fact the allegation is true and there is a positive test at the combine that's a worry, larger for some clubs than others, but when a player knows he's going to be tested as he does at the combine and stills tests positive that's an issue.

Hot girl on ESPN: Bill isn't it a little harder to take him off the board given that's a ratio that factors into his talent

Bill Polian: No, it's not if you belive it's a disqualifying issue, take him off the board.

Hot girl on ESPN: Have you been in an issue where you think red flag players "we can get him ln the right path?"

Bill Polian: Honestly no

Hot girl on ESPN: So Mike Adams did not do himself any help when it comes to this draft?

Bill Polian: Well if the allegation is true, and we don't know that, it's not helpful that's for sure.

Edited by Carey Bender

Agreed. I would be the biggest hypocrite in the world to say weed was bad. But it's just shows a lack of seriousness about your career. If you can't stop smoking before the biggest job interview of your life, you're an idiot and I would never take a guy like that in the 1st.

But if he lasts to the 2nd, I'll take him and pack his bowl. :devil:

I don't give a flying !@#$ if he smoked weed. What does that have to do with football? And what business is that of anyone? People should jump off their high horse and just worry about getting their own **** in order

I don't give a flying !@#$ if he smoked weed. What does that have to do with football? And what business is that of anyone? People should jump off their high horse and just worry about getting their own **** in order

Trust me, I love weed. But if someone says you will make millions to stop it for a month, I'm going cold turkey. If a guy can't do that, you seriously have to wonder about his motivation once he gets those millions.

I see Adams completed counseling.

Counselor: So Mike, you know smoking pot is bad, right?

Adams: Yes.

Counselor: You pass.

PTR

Yup, that's how they spend our tax dollars. :wallbash:

For Pot

http://tracking.si.com/2012/04/19/nfl-prospect-mike-adams-tested-positive-for-marijuana-at-combine/

seems minor TO ME. If he drops to #41, I have no problem with taking him.

my 2 cents

non- issue

Next topic :flirt:

Trust me, I love weed. But if someone says you will make millions to stop it for a month, I'm going cold turkey. If a guy can't do that, you seriously have to wonder about his motivation once he gets those millions.

i be more concerned if he was drinking heavy.

But I understand your point. I would chill for a bit, then I would wait until after the season to light some up.

People are missing the point here;

It's not about him smoking pot, it's about his lack of motivation to pass a test he knew was coming years in advance. My 13 year old daughter knows they test at the combine. It's a "come on, man!" issue. It shows extreme poor judgement and a complete and utter lack of respect for the NFL.

This coming from an OSU fan...

Agreed. I would be the biggest hypocrite in the world to say weed was bad. But it's just shows a lack of seriousness about your career. If you can't stop smoking before the biggest job interview of your life, you're an idiot and I would never take a guy like that in the 1st.

But if he lasts to the 2nd, I'll take him and pack his bowl. :devil:

This coupled with the booster issue, two of the least morally offensive rules I could see broken, it seems he picks and chooses what rules apply to him- consequences be damned. It cost him a suspension and watching his teammate booted last season, and the lights still not on.

So it's better if he is too dumb to learn about what he's doing too? I don't even smoke and I know all that. This is easy to avoid, and your best case is it could have been a slightly longer window and he didn't handle his mistake proactively.

You completely missed the point. It wasn't a surprise he was going to be tested (and I'm sure his agent warned him in more specific detail). Regardless of the substance he tested positive for, he knew he couldn't test positive. Football is a game of discipline. If he lacks the ability to stop smoking pot for a month, there is a problem that is not at all related to smoking pot.

No one really cares he smoked pot. Think of it as something else entirely:

He was told not to wear orange. He wore orange.

He was told not to wear orange. He wore orange.

Moreover, he was told not to wear orange unless he didn't mind losing hundreds of thousands of dollars… possibly even a million dollars… and he still wore orange.

I'm not sure if this is more of an indictment of his judgement or his intelligence.

Moreover, he was told not to wear orange unless he didn't mind losing hundreds of thousands of dollars… possibly even a million dollars… and he still wore orange.

I'm not sure if this is more of an indictment of his judgement or his intelligence.

And it doesn't matter if he went to a party and he got some second-hand orange, or if somebone else gave him something orange, or if he didn't see that his shirt had an orange stripe in it... It's on HIM to be orange-free and with everything he had to gain (or lose) he wasn't.

People are missing the point here;

It's not about him smoking pot, it's about his lack of motivation to pass a test he knew was coming years in advance. My 13 year old daughter knows they test at the combine. It's a "come on, man!" issue. It shows extreme poor judgement and a complete and utter lack of respect for the NFL.

This coming from an OSU fan...

I have to agree with this statement. It is all about the discipline. If he feels free to do as HE pleases now, what happens down the road when he gets in the NFL? If he has no control now, when he gets settled in it will resuface in either it or some other type of form. Just say no!

Exactly. Lot's of whats wrong with pot posts here. IT IS A CONDITION OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT THAT YOU NOT USE IT. Case closed.

For my part, anyway, I'm not questioning whether it is a condition of employment in the NFL. I'm questioning why it is a condition of employment. And "because it's illegal" doesn't work for me, for the reasons I gave above.

EDIT: It's also not illegal everywhere.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

For my part, anyway, I'm not questioning whether it is a condition of employment in the NFL. I'm questioning why it is a condition of employment. And "because it's illegal" doesn't work for me, for the reasons I gave above.

EDIT: It's also not illegal everywhere.

because the players have a collectively bargained drug policy that they and the owners have agreed to?

Don't you remember the year "Vontaze" hit number one on the baby name lists?

I believe it was the year after "Mercilus" and before "Blaine."

BA

I agree with this. Unlike alcohol, Marijuana is not physically addictive -- in some cases it can be mentally addictive. Most people can quit any time they wish.

Just plain stupid on Mike Adams' part.

BA

Well there goes any idea of Adams being in a Bills uniform.

Did you guys read where Mayock says that Vontaze Burfect is "non-draftable"? Ouch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/mayock-calls-vontaze-burfict-a-non-draftable-kid/

Burfect, can be a very good "example" for a coach. Bringing him into a situation only to cut him, not for his play but his attitude, shows a young team that they won't take his or anyone's BS.

I am not concern about his pot use, we were all 20 something on the cusp of becoming a millionaire, girls thrown at us from everywhere, trading goods and services for tattoos once, am I right? let it slide.

Adams is not a member of the union, but still, best answer I've seen.

Great point. He chose to do something stupid, so teams can choose to pass on him, costing him far more than a suspension would have.

If I were Adams, I'd WISH I were a member of the union and had a contract in place.

BA

Great point. He chose to do something stupid, so teams can choose to pass on him, costing him far more than a suspension would have.

If I were Adams, I'd WISH I were a member of the union and had a contract in place.

BA

Hey, I hope he falls all the way down to the Bills' second round pick. They then can take two good players who are being passed over. Floyd, who illegally consumed alcohol, and this guy.

I can't wait for the day when one of the major sports leagues says they'll stop testing for/prohibiting marijuana use. Hopefully it starts a trend. Ideally we'd see full on legalization, but I get more cynical as to whether it's possible as the years go by.

Now, for Mike Adams, if I were him I would have stopped smoking for a month or two before the combine. Maybe he did and thought he was clean, but trace amounts were left...he is a LT after all, and it takes longer to get clean if you have more bodyfat...

Anyway, I couldn't care less about prospects and weed. I know many players who - beyond being revered by fans and praised for their character - smoke (and smoked) weed regularly throughout their careers.

Walmarts do the pee test. The Publix supermarkets in fl. do mouth swabs. I understand the mouth swabs detect thc up to 6 months after use.

My son skateboarded into a mailbox once.....20 stitches. Not sure if he was high .

ha probably not. I remember years back when I was just learning how to rollerblade I was going down a hill and got clotheslined by scaffolding. Some 18 odd years later still happy the whole thing didn't fall on me, and that no one was on it

That misses the question of why it is included.

It does, but the logical answer to why is: its required because it will be a required part of the job at random dates throughout the future, of course it makes sense to include a basic screen here. Truly, much like the wonderlic, its probably not nearly as much a matter of really caring about the kids getting high or an 18 vs a 24 but absurd low scores (or in this case failing the drug test) are telling clubs - DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THIS GUY (and yes, in all caps). They can be productive great players everyone loves, but it seems logical to include in the process. I was just noting in my previous reply that he failed a known drug test that wasnt even truly a hardline requirement to take pre-employment. As he is not a member of the NFLPA, simply the nfl invited him to show up and show off his talents and he was the schlub that embarrassed them by failing what should have been the easiest event of both the day, and his life.

Edited by NoSaint

The thing about a draftee on pot is that you may end up getting the Michael Beasley of the NFL.

Beasley was an incredible NBA talent, the #2 pick of the 2008 NBA draft...but his problems with pot affected how he played in turning him from a #2 talent to just another guy.

As an organization that's ready to drop millions of dollars on a player, why bother with the problem? Let somebody else deal with it.

Bingo. People who can't or won't understand that simply have no clue about the type of business being operated by the NFL.

I can't wait for the day when one of the major sports leagues says they'll stop testing for/prohibiting marijuana use.

You'll be waiting a long time. It'll never happen as long marijuana is illegal.

Nice to see all the pot heads at TBD slowly crawling out of the wood work.

And proudly refusing to acknowledge the realities of the world around them.

Adams was also one of the players involved in that "Tattoo" scandal that get his head coach fired.

Which, like this, ranks highly in the issues i really dont care about from a moral standpoint - but is yet another flag that he picks and chooses what rules apply to him, consequences be damned. i think with atleast some GMs that was his get out of jail free card, and to have another incident might let him actually really slide. someone will take him and it will likely still be round 2 (unless there are issues we dont know about) but this guy has red flags flying high at this point.

Adams was also one of the players involved in that "Tattoo" scandal that get his head coach fired.

Correct - he was suspended last season for trading his personal sports memorabilia for tattoos. That, combined with the pot thing, tells me "Big Mike" has a hard time staying out of trouble. He is a beast on the field though....