How do you view our draft needs?

If 10 means that we must draft this position in the 1st because of great need, and 1 means it is not a need at all... How would you rate our positional needs headed into the draft?

I would rank it this way:

QB: 5

RB: 2

WR: 7

TE: 5

T: 9

G/C: 4

DE: 3

DT: 2

LB: 7

CB: 7

S: 4

P/K: 2

Therefore, I think we need at OT desperately, and a WR and LB badly.

What say you?

(Fixed)

Edited by BuckeyeBill

1334036092[/url]' post='2433596']

If 10 means that we must draft this position in the 1st because of great need, and 1 means it is not a need at all... How would you rate our positional needs headed into the draft?

QB: 8- if you don't have a great qb, you need to get one.

RB: 1

WR: 9

TE: 6

DB: 6

What say you?

QB - 7, Fitz will never be Tom Brady but is definitely a starter in the league. Need a developmental backup that could replace Fitz in 3 years.

RB - 2, would be 0 if we had a true power back for goal line situations, and a late round FB wouldn't hurt

WR - 9, Outside of Stevie and Nelson Buffalo has nothing. Dire need of a #2. Would be 10 if Stevie and Nelson weren't as good as they were

TE - 4, Chandler is good, hopefully he turns into the player he looked like in camp last year. I expect a late round pick on TE

T - 8, Pears is great, we don't give enough credit to Hairston. A 4th round rookie looked pretty damn good last year, hope he proves it this year if we don't go OT at 10

OG/C - 2, position strength. Would be 0 if Wood didn't get hurt every year.

DT - 1, Best position on the team. 2 pro bowl starters, 2nd round pick as a backup and quality depth in Spencer Johnson and Kellen Heard

DE - 5, Mario Williams and Anderson put this from 10 to 5. No need for a top draft pick but I don't expect Kelsay and Merriman to be around forever so someone for the future should be looked at in mid rounds.

OLB - 8, Barnett is rock solid but aging. Morrison looks good on paper but barely played last year. No depth so will be addressed x2 in draft. (Expect Bryan Scott here on 3rd downs)

MLB - 4, Sheppard is fine. Hopefully he takes the next step. McKillop is a big question mark, however

CB - 7, I don't think this is as big of a need as most of you do. Williams is going to be great, and we can deal with McGee, Florence, and Leodis on the other side for the time being. Rogers was great as a #3. No need to reach on CB early, 3-5 round.

S - 3, Not a need position at all. Wilson and Scott only have a few years left so depth + Searcy development will be key

K - 4 - Lindell is consistently good. Never going to hit long but is very accurate.

P - 6 - Moorman sucked last year. Give him the benefit of the doubt for this year as he has been great for us. Always a bright spot on bad teams in the past.

I don't think you can lump CBs and safeties under DBs.

The Bills are arguably very solid at safety but thin at cornerback.

true

QB: 7 (agree we still want to try to upgrade here - and who's the backup we believe in?)

RB: 4 (1 awesome all-purpose guy in Freddy who didn't finish the year, and CJ who started to come on but isn't a proven every down guy)

WR: 5 (depends how Easely does, and starting Nelson, Aiken, Rooselvelt, etc. isn't the end of the world)

TE: 5 (Chandler is certainly "good enough" - but they could do better)

T: 10 (with Bell gone, this is a must-add - doesn't mean it has to be round 1 but they have to get someone who _could_ play if needed)

G/C: 4 (Will Wood be ready?)

DE: 1 (I'm assuming we're keeping Merriman (and at DE), Kelsay, and Carrington loses his weight back to his college DE level)

DT: 4 (starting 2 are awesome, depth is iffy - Spencer Johnson? and ...Troup? ...Heard?)

LB: 7 (what does a Wannstedt system LB look like? - Barnett - Shepppard - Morrison are OK, no clue who can play behind them)

CB: 5 (I'm not that worried about Florence/Williams/Rodgers/McKelvin if we give them a decent pass rush)

S: 4 (how many years does George Wilson have left? Searcy still unproven.)

P/K: 5 (both are good but getting old - Lindell hurt cost them points and maybe one game, Moorman not what he used to be)

QB - 7, Fitz will never be Tom Brady but is definitely a starter in the league. Need a developmental backup that could replace Fitz in 3 years.

RB - 2, would be 0 if we had a true power back for goal line situations, and a late round FB wouldn't hurt

WR - 9, Outside of Stevie and Nelson Buffalo has nothing. Dire need of a #2. Would be 10 if Stevie and Nelson weren't as good as they were

TE - 4, Chandler is good, hopefully he turns into the player he looked like in camp last year. I expect a late round pick on TE

T - 8, Pears is great, we don't give enough credit to Hairston. A 4th round rookie looked pretty damn good last year, hope he proves it this year if we don't go OT at 10

DT - 1, Best position on the team. 2 pro bowl starters, 2nd round pick as a backup and quality depth in Spencer Johnson and Kellen Heard

DE - 5, Mario Williams and Anderson put this from 10 to 5. No need for a top draft pick but I don't expect Kelsay and Merriman to be around forever so someone for the future should be looked at in mid rounds.

OLB - 8, Barnett is rock solid but aging. Morrison looks good on paper but barely played last year. No depth so will be addressed x2 in draft. (Expect Bryan Scott here on 3rd downs)

MLB - 4, Sheppard is fine. Hopefully he takes the next step. McKillop is a big question mark, however

CB - 7, I don't think this is as big of a need as most of you do. Williams is going to be great, and we can deal with McGee, Florence, and Leodis on the other side for the time being. Rogers was great as a #3. No need to reach on CB early, 3-5 round.

S - 3, Not a need position at all. Wilson and Scott only have a few years left so depth + Searcy development will be key

K - 4 - Lindell is consistently good. Never going to hit long but is very accurate.

P - 6 - Moorman sucked last year. Give him the benefit of the doubt for this year as he has been great for us. Always a bright spot on bad teams in the past.

good analysis , I pretty much agree with everything! :thumbsup:

What say you?

(Fixed)

Good thoughts -- mine would vary slightly, but not much. I'll just show my differences:

I'd put WR at 9 as well -- with the exception of Johnson, we are very unproven there,

TE -3 -- Not the year to go Tight end -- we can work around that this year

QB -6 - this is a good year to draft a back-up that might in a few years challenge to start

CB -- I'd make that a 8 - in this league now, tyou need depth and quality at CB.

QB- this season, it's a 0. Fitz needs to get the call again. All chips into the middle of the Fitz table with no distractions.

RB- 2, we need another guy like Freddy to help replace him in a few years.

WR- 8-10, it all depends on how they view Easley honestly and Jones. Most of us, and the professionals have us taking a WR early on draft day. At #10 might be a reach since we need another starting OLB, LT, CB as well. 2nd round might be the better choice here. Only problem is the dropoff of talent from rnd 1 to rnd 2. Not to mention so many tes in the top 10 need a WR and if we don't tale one in rmd 1 we might as well just forget it until later. Panthers, Browns, Phins, Skins, Broncos, and more all need WRs. Rams even tho they are expected to take Blackmon might even take 2 giving Bradford all the tools he needs.

TE- 4, Chandler is great IMO but we could use another.

OT- 9-10, buddy may see it different if he thinks Hairston is a starter but we still at least need backups.

OG/C- 4, more for backups. Our line was decimated by injury last year.

DE- 2, not a need anymore IMO.

DT- 2, not a need. Possibly the strongest unit of not only the team but the NFL.

OLB-8, a need for sure. Merriman could be an ace in the hole here but can't rely on that.

MLB- 5, Were going to be good with Shephard here but need backup help.

CB- 7-8, McGee is a waste IMO. McKelvin has this year to prove he can be a solid CB with a supporting cast at DL. Williams is good and will be a starter for a long time. It depends on how McKelvin can do and how they see Rogers here.

S- 0, no need. Were locked up with starters and backups with Both positions here. Only moves up if Buddy is expecting NOT to resign Byrd. Only he and Byrd can answer that tho.

K/P- 3-5, Lindell was just signed no problem there. Moorman is getting old and honestly is not even top 50% of punters anymore. Long drop off in a few years to go from #1 in the league to not even thought about anymore. Can't hit a corner kick to save his life.

I think I agree almost 100%. Though I would like to see us add an early OLB or CB, WR in second, and a QB in the third (preferably Osweiller as a project guy)

Edited by Florida Gator 14

What say you?

(Fixed)

RB: 3

TE: 7

G/C: 5

DE: 1

DT: 1

LB: 9

S: 3

P/K: 3

Instead of viewing them in this way.....what I prefer to do is look to see where the team is at as it stands BEFORE the draft and while I hope we get out of it.

- This team was steamrolling through the first part of last season and beating some good teams along the way

- Then injuries started to mount....and our really bad depth started showing up

We need to stay healthy...but even more inportant then that we need for guys to step in and not be totally lost if they have to play a limited amount of snaps as a reserve

I believe that with the exception of corner or 2nd option wide receiver our starters for this next year are set.....if we do draft a Floyd or Sanu at WR or we draft a Kirpatrick or Gilmore at corner....those guys will start.

- If we take a LT I think he competes but still is behind Hairston at the start of the season

- Starting LB's are set.....Scott is a reserve.....we need more quality depth

- We need a QB to groom

So.....its mostly about finding Quality guys in this draft to play special teams and LEARN

for me, LB is too high by many... in this era of the passing game, it's the least important position on D, if it wasn't already. they are less important in the passing game than D-line (especially in 4-3) and than the CB's.

not only that, but we have adequate bodies there. not really the position to have your stars in, because of the above, but Barnett is pretty good and Sheppard may get there (i like him). Morrison is adequate and Merriman may end up there if healthy cuz there's not room on the line for many snaps. Moats and Batten are ok backups... maybe White

not to say we don't bring in more, that's a given for any draft, but unlike developmental QB, another CB, a 2nd/3rd TE, and of course OT... there are at least bodies there. so:

WR: 8

TE: 9

OT: 10

G/C: 5

DE: 1

DT: 3 (1 if Troup is healthy)

LB: 5

CB: 6

S: 2

Here's how I rate our needs in order:

OT: 9 (With our current numbers at T if Hairston or Pears were to go down we'd be screwed)- Cordy Glenn

WR: 8 (We need a true #2 WR who has the skill set to beat the man in front of him) - Rueben Randle

OLB: 7 (Nick Barnett is a lil older and semi-injury prone, Kirk Morrsion is average at best, behind them not very much) - Lavonte David

CB: 7 (Aaron Williams and Rogers are both young and talented, outside of them we have CB's who are either average (Florence), injury-prone (McGee) or bad (McKelvin) - Josh Robinson

DT: 5 (I love Dareus. I love Kyle Williams, but the achilles injury has me a bit nervous. I'd like to draft Run stuffing DT as insurance just in case. - Josh Chapman

QB: 5 (Fitz may be our best option for the next couple of years. Thigpen blows IMO. Would love to see the Bills nab an athletic QB. - Russell Wilson

Obviously, we don't have the ammuntion to pick all of the players I've bolded, but I highlighted them to show the guys I like to fill the bill.

Edited by Estro

To me, the one thing that separates this team from being a contender is a stud linebacker. We all know that one will come out of this draft, but no one is sure who it will be. I hope the Bills are lucky enough to step in it. They have one good linebacker, a couple who might get better, and one that will be injured most of the season.

The Bills need a replacement for Merriman and one is out there. Don't have a clue who it will turn out to be, though. Fill that hole and the D is set, and I think the O is good enough to be a playoff team, provided they have a D that can make stops and create turnovers.

Tackle, OLB and WR are the big positions of need. I think we can address all three in the draft given that the draft is heavy in quality wide receivers (quality...not franchise) I would draft a WR in round 3 and a second in a later round. As there are only two (okay maybe three)potential starters going to be available, I think we go tackle at one (Rieff/Martin) and an OLB in round two.

Punters are extremely valuable but we should be taking one in the later rounds to see whether he can be a replacement for Moorman.

Here's how I rate our needs in order:

OT: 9 (With our current numbers at T if Hairston or Pears were to go down we'd be screwed)- Cordy Glenn

WR: 8 (We need a true #2 WR who has the skill set to beat the man in front of him) - Rueben Randle

OLB: 7 (Nick Barnett is a lil older and semi-injury prone, Kirk Morrsion is average at best, behind them not very much) - Lavonte David

CB: 7 (Aaron Williams and Rogers are both young and talented, outside of them we have CB's who are either average (Florence), injury-prone (McGee) or bad (McKelvin) - Josh Robinson

DT: 5 (I love Dareus. I love Kyle Williams, but the achilles injury has me a bit nervous. I'd like to draft Run stuffing DT as insurance just in case. - Josh Chapman

QB: 5 (Fitz may be our best option for the next couple of years. Thigpen blows IMO. Would love to see the Bills nab an athletic QB. - Russell Wilson

Obviously, we don't have the ammuntion to pick all of the players I've bolded, but I highlighted them to show the guys I like to fill the bill.

Estro, I like your picks, and I won't be surprised with the Cordy Glenn pick ...Nix has said they have some guys rated differently, and I am convinced Cordy Glenn was whom he was talking about. The talking heads on TV will have a field day with it, though!

I especially like Chapman pick, Dareus's line mate at Bama.

QB: 4 I don't rank this as high as a few of you did because I feel Fitz's injury (that we didn't know about) did hurt his 2nd half play

RB: 3 Agree with the comment about a Power Back or a FB; however either of these could be address with undrafted free agents

WR: 8 Definitely need to grab a WR in this deep draft as we can't count on Easely...yet

TE: Unless Fleener falls to us in the 2nd round and we already addressed our T

T: 10 Feel our first round pick has to be a T as we have ignored this position for to long...Reiff or Glenn could be the option

G/C: 5 Strength of the O-line but Wood's durability could become a concern

DE: 5 A developmental prospect would be a good idea

DT: 2 No need unless we feel there is a player too good to pass up

LB: 8 Definitely need to get an OLB who can cover TE's

CB: 8 Williams will be a starter for a while but a CB could be a possibly in the 2nd again

S: 2 Strength of the Secondary will only be better this year with a pass rush and Searcy is there for depth

P/K: 2 Fluke injury to Lindell won't happen again, Moorman will bounce back

As you can see I feel the Bills address Tackle early in the draft and then look at BPA and hopefully address CB, WR and LB in the first four rounds.