DE Mark Anderson in Buffalo (SIGNED)

SKRAAPY

1332370685[/url]' post='2417909']

Tom Day, Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway, Ron McDole. Until this line does not let up a rushing touchdown in a season this group will remain the best

Atta boy, Yoho! I was getting ready to edumacate the whippersnapper about the GREAT Bills defenses from days of yore, but you jumped right on it!

All Hail the mid-60's Bills Defense!worthy.gif

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The signing of Mark Anderson has me excited today, but the numbers of his deal have me a little concerned. 4 years $27.5 million is a lot of money for Anderson, no way around it.

Agreed. But maybe he can shed some light on NE's inner workings. That might change my opinion.

Atta boy, Yoho! I was getting ready to edumacate the whippersnapper about the GREAT Bills defenses from days of yore, but you jumped right on it!

All Hail the mid-60's Bills Defense!worthy.gif

Not to mention Tracy, Jacobs and Stratton at linebacker.

Byrd and Edgerson at Corner.

Saimes and Janik at Safety

Paul Maguire punting and the orignal "soccer style" kicker Pete Gogolak.

Bring on the 64 Browns.

"It's just the whole team. The whole team in general. Everybody has the winning attitude. The offense did a great job last year in my eyes looking and watching film. The defense, the defensive line you have Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus coming up the middle and pushing the pocket. Then you have Mario (Williams) on the other side, Kelsay (Chris). You have Shawne Merriman, Nick Barnett, all those guys can play ball. That's just something that I felt I want to be a part of so I can contribute the best I can."

THIS!

This is the type of things i've been wanting to hear people say when they come here! Geniune excitement and a "i'm seeing what you got going on Buffalo" type feel. Not just the "i'm glad to be here and this is great team" blah blah blah. It really seems like something is coming together here and even if we don't succeed, i'm thrilled with the plan put in place.

Bravo One Bills Drive! It feels good to say that once again.

The signing of Mark Anderson has me excited today, but the numbers of his deal have me a little concerned. 4 years $27.5 million is a lot of money for Anderson, no way around it. I thought this guy would be looking for $5 mill a year max, so to see it closer to $7 mill a year was a shock. I understand he had a good season last year, but guys who's numbers spike in a contract year is a bit worrisome. I really wonder if any of the other teams were offering anything close to what he just signed for.

The main reason for my concern is this: I don not want the signing of Mark anderson to cost us a shot at resigning Byrd or LeVitre next season. I hope it doesn't, but it could. I was holding out hope Bell would be a late resign, but with the signing of anderson I'm not sure the Bills have any resources left for Bell. i know he's had injury problems, and that is a legit concern, but I think he's a valuable asset to the team and being we only spent a 7th round pick on him, I was rooting for him. I wonder if the bills would even resign him at this point if he agreed to the numbers the Bills have on the table.

Let's hope Mark Anderson proves to be a nice signing, but theres no doubting the Bills overpaid.

I agree Estro, I didn't want to be the negative guy hehe. I was stunned when I heard the figures, was expecting something like 4yrs $15-$16 mil. I just read that in his productive Chicago rookie season he was a situational player used only on passing downs like last year. Let's be honest, NE racks up a lot of points and teams are forced into the desperation passing game early against them. I think the guy will be productive here sack-wise, but $7M a year for a situational pass rusher is kinda nuts.

I hear a lot of people mention the fact that only $8M is guaranteed. Yeah, that's great if we cut him tomorrow. But the guy is going to get at least $7M this year, and still probably have another $5M-$6M left in guarantees. I'm not knocking the player or what the team is trying to accomplish (LOVE the focus on the DL), I just think we overpaid. I hope I'm wrong and the guy turns into an every-down player that's here for the next 4 years.

I agree Estro, I didn't want to be the negative guy hehe. I was stunned when I heard the figures, was expecting something like 4yrs $15-$16 mil. I just read that in his productive Chicago rookie season he was a situational player used only on passing downs like last year. Let's be honest, NE racks up a lot of points and teams are forced into the desperation passing game early against them. I think the guy will be productive here sack-wise, but $7M a year for a situational pass rusher is kinda nuts.

I hear a lot of people mention the fact that only $8M is guaranteed. Yeah, that's great if we cut him tomorrow. But the guy is going to get at least $7M this year, and still probably have another $5M-$6M left in guarantees. I'm not knocking the player or what the team is trying to accomplish (LOVE the focus on the DL), I just think we overpaid. I hope I'm wrong and the guy turns into an every-down player that's here for the next 4 years.

I agree with both of you wholeheartedly. I am not surprised he signed. I'm not surprised that he's excited to work with our retooled DL. I am surprised by the money. What's the opportunity cost? It's great to get a good situational pass rusher but what opportunities might we miss next year in free agency because this guys is tying up too much money? The Mario signing excited me. This one does, too, but only up to a point.

One thing about Anderson was the Bills had to prepare two different times to play the Pats last year, so they watched a lot of film on him, and saw him at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season. They know from the offense, especially the OL coach and Gailey what a problem he was or wasn't to block.

If they think he'll help the team a lot, they didn't overpay him. And if he proves to suck this year, they can cut him and move on, without killing the cap. But to get players to Buffalo, they need to overpay. To what extent is unknown, without knowing what other teams were offering. But 4 years and $16M wouldn't have even gotten him back to the Pats.

I think me general feeling that the Bills overpaid for Mark Anderson is legit. Keep in mind this guy has never made more than 1.75 million in a given season and hes been with 3 teams prior to the Bills. A little silver lining though:

The salary cap is supposedly going to spike starting in 2013. I don't know exactly what they mean by spike, but I'm thinking it could be in the neighborhood of a 15-20% jump in salary cap space starting next year. This year is a little over $120 million, and I'm guessing next year is going to be at least in the $135-$140 million in 2013. Throw in the fact that teams are going to have to spend close to the cap every year and cash, and these contract signed today may look like bargains in a year or two. Not total justification for overpaying for a guy, but a big jump in cap may make it easier to handle the Byrd and LeVitre resignings.

The contract numbers on the FA signing next year will be downright silly if the cap does indeed jump up to the $140 million level. This also means there will be teans that will be willing to bid up the prices of LeVitre and Byrd, so the bills better play their cards right. Resigning them now or during the season is important because the closer they get to FA the more theyll realize how freely teams will spend. I'm still a little concerned that signing Anderson today may have cost us from investing in Byrd or Levitre during the 2012 offseason or season.

Gene, I'll go with the Earl of Bud.

I'll have to go with "The Butcher" then.

PFT is reporting that he left town last night and is simultaneously in Chicago, Baltimore, and Tennessee. Also, his plane was grounded after it got stuck in a flock of deers.

A flock of deers? Things are getting crazy around here.

You can tell Mark Anderson isn't quite as coveted as Mario Willians. The Bills sent Nix to pick up Mario by jet. But they just asked Jay to call the local cab company for Mark Anderson

They sent Alexander Mogilny's limo.

Seriously.

This is a big time free agent we're bringing in and all you guys can do is try to one up each other with jokes about how little we care about him vs. Mario Williams?

I got news for you. This may not be as huge of a signing as Mario Williams. But landing a 20 something year old pass rusher coming off a double digit sack season is about as big as some teams can get in FA. Add in the fact that we already have Mario and this would be HUGE.

But, of course, continue on with the ridiculousness.

Thank you.

Guys, take the humor and light-heartedness over to pixyland.org. This board is for Serious Football Analysis by Serious Fans only. It doesn't matter how giddy you're feeling over what could turn out to be one of the Bills' best offseasons ever.

Sorry.

Holy ShiZ!!!!! We finally got us another OKIE!!!!! I had no idea this fine young fellow played ball in the greatest high school football region in the country! I know who's jersey I'm buying. Welcome to the Buffalo Bills young man.

Seriously, I'm gonna have to hit him up somehow. There aren't very many Bills fan here in T-Town.

Anderson was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He attended Booker T. Washington High School in Tulsa, and was a letterman in football and basketball. He was a teammate in both sports of Robert Meachem and Felix Jones, both also current NFL football players. In football, he was an All-Metro selection and was named as a Big 12 Prep pick. Mark Anderson graduated from Booker T. Washington High School in 2001. Anderson recorded 104 tackles and 9 sacks along with 9 receptions and 3 touchdowns during his senior season to help the Hornets to an 11-2 record. In his best game he notched 20 tackles, 3 sacks and 2 blocked punts in 1 game as a senior

BTW, Bruce DeHaven is an Okie and a very fine person to boot.

On paper it really appears as if Buffalo has the best D-line in the NFL now hopefully this will transition to the field!!!

With this no longer being a position of need I fully believe that we will grab Malcolm Floyd if he is available. If he is not I believe it will be Jonathan Martin as he actually played LT in college and that means a lot compared to Reiff who started every year at RT.

Michael Floyd. Common mistake I know… but if you're in favor of drafting a player then… yada.

I think me general feeling that the Bills overpaid for Mark Anderson is legit. Keep in mind this guy has never made more than 1.75 million in a given season and hes been with 3 teams prior to the Bills. A little silver lining though:

The salary cap is supposedly going to spike starting in 2013. I don't know exactly what they mean by spike, but I'm thinking it could be in the neighborhood of a 15-20% jump in salary cap space starting next year. This year is a little over $120 million, and I'm guessing next year is going to be at least in the $135-$140 million in 2013. Throw in the fact that teams are going to have to spend close to the cap every year and cash, and these contract signed today may look like bargains in a year or two. Not total justification for overpaying for a guy, but a big jump in cap may make it easier to handle the Byrd and LeVitre resignings.

The contract numbers on the FA signing next year will be downright silly if the cap does indeed jump up to the $140 million level. This also means there will be teans that will be willing to bid up the prices of LeVitre and Byrd, so the bills better play their cards right. Resigning them now or during the season is important because the closer they get to FA the more theyll realize how freely teams will spend. I'm still a little concerned that signing Anderson today may have cost us from investing in Byrd or Levitre during the 2012 offseason or season.

Anderson will make %10.5M over the next 2 seasons. Not a whole lot, given the cap status of the team and the future projections for the cap. And going by what a guy has made in the past is moot.

I think the general feeling that the Bills overpaid for Mark Anderson is legit. Keep in mind this guy has never made more than 1.75 million in a given season and hes been with 3 teams prior to the Bills.

I agree that looking solely at the dollars involved here the conclusion the Bills overpaid is valid (also +1 on your other points).

However, IMO you've got to look at this in a strategic perspective. IMO, using the Giants as a blueprint, the Bills made a conscious decision that in order to beat NE (and a lot of other pass-centric teams) they've got to pressure the quarterback. Adding Anderson gives the Bills a significant sack threat from all 4 DL positions not to mention how lethal a well designed blitz package might perform.

As a lifelong Bills fan I do not like the Giants but I admire what they've done. Beat NE twice in the championship game using basically the same plan. Belichek is labeled a genius but he couldn't come up with a winning game plan against a foe that came after him with the same approach twice? The message is you can't out-scheme superior talent and performance.

So now we have what looks on paper to be a tremendous DL. What this should do is make guys like Brady uncomfortable and distressed in the pocket, sacks, pressures, knockdowns, batted balls, obstructed sight lines, out of sync timing, fear, etc. When these things happen consistently he'll look no better than an average quarterback and their advantage at the position will be neutralized.

Maybe get one more guy on the inside, like Okoye, for the rotation and we'll be looking awesome.

And a plus is this all makes the draft a more intriguing and exciting time for us.

wow we are having an outstanding offseason. WE have dare I say depth on the DL?

If we have even the draft we had last year we could improve the D even more.

If Buddy keeps these very smart moves up I may have to buy some more Koolaid for this season. lol

Anderson will make $10.5M over the next 2 seasons. Not a whole lot, given the cap status of the team and the future projections for the cap. And going by what a guy has made in the past is moot.

Exactly. In essence we are paying him Dwan Edwards money. If he performs, he'll cash in in the final 2 years of his contract. If he doesn't he's gone after 2.

Maybe get one more guy on the inside, like Okoye, for the rotation and we'll be looking awesome.

And a plus is this all makes the draft a more intriguing and exciting time for us.

I think alot of folks are discounting what we already have in the middle. we might have the best starters (cumulative) up front.

as of Now. But our rotation should be brutal. the guys we still have are flexible. Hells bells we had Carrington line up at OLB weighing as much as a tackle.

with our recent big signings we have solved the defensive line puzzle. if these guys are coached as well as we think by Wannster and put in the right spot in the right situation well we should dominate almost any team. I think we are done this year with the line. we might lose one and i hate to see any of them go excepting some late signings from last year.

The linebackers need some bolstering from the draft but have solid starters. we might need to tweak some corners as we move forward.

But some folks want to cut Spencer or Dwan or Heard. Let them play it out for now.

I am refilling my koolaid cup again because i truly billeive our defensive line just became dangerously brutal and because of such a strong rotation we shall never tire and will be full speed all day, And win matchups with anyone.or two's even

yea, good luck with chipping all of us.

Dangerously Brutal yep!!

Mark Anderson's contract specifics:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mark-anderson/

How it looks from the cash to cap perspective:

2012: $6 million (signing bonus) + $2 million (base salary + workout bonus) = $8 million

2013: $1.5 million (option bonus) + $2.5 million (base salary + workout bonus) = $4 million

2014: $4 million (base salary + workout bonus) = $4 million

2015: $5 million (base salary + workout bonus) = $5 million

The deal was reported as a 4 year, $27.5 million, but if you look at the above it actually appears to be 4 years for $21 million. The $6.5 million unccounted for is probably incentive based stipulations. This deal makes me feel a bit btter than the original numbers reported.

$5.25 million per is still too much, but it's a hell of a lot better than over $7 million per. If he's a producer his cash to cap doesn't look to bad in years 2-4 and the cap will be much higher in those years, thus further softening the blow of his numbers.