Mike Wallace to NE?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/fullnflmockdraft-PatKirwan

Kirwan expects the Pats to drop one of their 2 first rd picks on Wallace. It make a lot of sense. You get a proven WR in exchange for a late first rounder who could be great or not. Why can't we ever trade down and stockpile picks like them? It seems like they're fleecing someone every year for a first-rounder!

Kirwan expects the Pats to drop one of their 2 first rd picks on Wallace. It make a lot of sense. You get a proven WR in exchange for a late first rounder who could be great or not. Why can't we ever trade down and stockpile picks like them? It seems like they're fleecing someone every year for a first-rounder!

It all depends if Pittsburgh can maneuver the cap around to match any offer. Remember the new CBA eliminated those "poison pill" contracts that allowed a team to offer incentives and other things to finagle the cap numbers so a team couldn't match their offer.

The pats* drafting strategy is a mirage, because they never actually use both of their 1st round picks. They'll use one, and trade the other one for a 1st in the following year. And while their trading down is nice, at some point you get diminishing returns.

Such as I understood Pittsburgh this offseason they have re-worked Ben's contract and released high price vets like Farrior and Ward to make Cap Space for Mike Wallace. This is just a mock trade and I can't think of any time the patriots traded a first round pick for a player, rather it has been the other way around with New England dispatching Richard Seymour and Deion Branch for first round choices.

The pats* drafting strategy is a mirage, because they never actually use both of their 1st round picks. They'll use one, and trade the other one for a 1st in the following year. And while their trading down is nice, at some point you get diminishing returns.

Let me know when that diminishing return starts to happen...

Plus they really do not draft all that well. Their drafting quality is a mirage.

When Brady retires

It already has. But having Brady at QB covers up a lot.

PTR

Perhaps a reason many are clamoring for a franchise QB. It makes up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere.

Perhaps a reason many are clamoring for a franchise QB. It makes up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere.

Brady is beyond mere "franchise". Besides how do you propose we go out and get a Brady? Don't you think 30 other NFL teams have the same idea?

PTR

Yeah, the way the Pats do things is stupid!

Going to Superbowls is stupid!

Yeah!

And no matter how good Brady is, you still require a good team around him. Ask Marino, or Elway, or any other great who didn't go to the bowl without a good team around him.

This place, sometimes. :wallbash:

Brady is beyond mere "franchise". Besides how do you propose we go out and get a Brady? Don't you think 30 other NFL teams have the same idea?

PTR

I do. However few have the balls to trade up to get someone they feel could be elite. The Giants did and the results speak for themselves.

I dont disagree. But great ones are so few are far between, which is why they call them great, the better strategy IMO is to build a strong team, rather than hope they guy you invested two years into is the next great one

I don't follow the pats as closely as some on this board. Could someone please enlighten me? Who are the great players that they have acquired as a result of their draft strategy?

The Pats drafting hasn't been anything spectacular. They've hit on a few and missed on a bunch in recent years, same as most teams. Their primary claim to success is a combination of having a good system with continuity, a veteran line that can protect the passer, and a QB that has the arm, accuracy, and accumen to execute the game plan.

The Pats hit the lottery, plain and simple. Brady was a 6th round pick who is now a sure first ballot hall of famer. Take that away from them and Bledsoe retires a patriot with a few playoff wins and they are not much better than the bills or phins for the past decade

Yeah, the way the Pats do things is stupid!

Going to Superbowls is stupid!

Yeah!

And no matter how good Brady is, you still require a good team around him. Ask Marino, or Elway, or any other great who didn't go to the bowl without a good team around him.

This place, sometimes. :wallbash:

I agree with you to a large degree.

But look at the Colts this year.

It is proof that a QB can make a huge difference.

I think Brady and Bellichek will be a two for one retiring. Both know that with out the other they ar ean average team.

I agree with you to a large degree.

But look at the Colts this year.

It is proof that a QB can make a huge difference.

Then again, look at the Pats in 2008. They lost Brady for almost the entire year and still go 11-5 with Matt Cassel, missing out on the playoffs due to a tie-breaker because the Dols come out of nowhere with their "Wildcat" offense.

Edited by Doc

I live close to Pittsburgh, and based on the media stuff I get here, there's no way they're going to let Wallce leave. I think Kirwan is filling up space.

I live close to Pittsburgh, and based on the media stuff I get here, there's no way they're going to let Wallce leave. I think Kirwan is filling up space.

Basically. They won't let him leave. Especially to the Pats.