Our Wide Receiver Corps

We all know Stevie's gonna get a deal done, it's just a matter of time...hopefully within the next week or so(according to stevie). All of you who think we need a playmaker opposite Johnson, i agree, but i believe that guy is already on our team...MARCUS EASLEY. He showed flashes of what he's capable of in preseason before his medical condition was discovered. This is a big, fast receiver who i think will eventually become a huge part of this team. As far as the slot goes, we have Nelson, and maybe we draft someone with a skillset similar to parrish in the later rounds. Derek Hagan seemed to play well this past year, but in no way is he a permanant solution. I think we let him compete this summer and see how he matches up against our other wideouts. Just my opinion, thoughts?

We all know Stevie's gonna get a deal done, it's just a matter of time...hopefully within the next week or so(according to stevie). All of you who think we need a playmaker opposite Johnson, i agree, but i believe that guy is already on our team...MARCUS EASLEY. He showed flashes of what he's capable of in preseason before his medical condition was discovered. This is a big, fast receiver who i think will eventually become a huge part of this team. As far as the slot goes, we have Nelson, and maybe we draft someone with a skillset similar to parrish in the later rounds. Derek Hagan seemed to play well this past year, but in no way is he a permanant solution. I think we let him compete this summer and see how he matches up against our other wideouts. Just my opinion, thoughts?

Easley, while he has shown good potential (in the preseason), has yet to prove that he can stay healthy. How can we bank on him being our #2 starter opposite Stevie? IMO...we need to bring in a mid-tier FA WR (Garcon, Meachum, B. Lloyd, Manningham, L. Robinson), and also draft a WR in the middle rounds of the draft (unless a guy like Sanu or Jeffery drops to us in round 2).

I am rooting for Easley, but come on - he is an unheralded 4th round pick with 1 year of

college production at U Conn. He has played exactly 0 NFL regular season downs in 2 years

and (obviously) has 0 catches.

They need to have a better plan for another offensive weapon than "hey, let's hope that guy

that started part of one season at U Conn miraculously turns into a star".

Easley, while he has shown good potential (in the preseason), has yet to prove that he can stay healthy. How can we bank on him being our #2 starter opposite Stevie? IMO...we need to bring in a mid-tier FA WR (Garcon, Meachum, B. Lloyd, Manningham, L. Robinson), and also draft a WR in the middle rounds of the draft (unless a guy like Sanu or Jeffery drops to us in round 2).

I wouldn't mind bringing in one of those guys, i just don't feel we need to break the bank with someone like V. Jackson. We have some young guys that have developed nicely, and others(Easley) who i feel have a ton of potential. I agree, we should draft someone in the mid rounds but i feel that we could address our need at DE in round 2 if someone lasts until then (Curry, Mercilus, Branch).

I am rooting for Easley, but come on - he is an unheralded 4th round pick with 1 year of

college production at U Conn. He has played exactly 0 NFL regular season downs in 2 years

They need to have a better plan for another offensive weapon than "hey, let's hope that guy

I understand where you're coming from, but this is what excites me about him. He hasn't had an opportunity to show himself. I don't know, it might just be me but i think he's gonna surprise some people. Of course the team's not gonna just hope he turns out to be a star, they'll probably bring someone in but i think with more playing time, Easley will become a special player for us. He's a big, strong receiver and i think Fitz will give him a chance to shine.

Didn't an aliigator bite his foot off??

Sure why not.....

1330212574[/url]' post='2389307']

I wouldn't mind bringing in one of those guys, i just don't feel we need to break the bank with someone like V. Jackson. We have some young guys that have developed nicely, and others(Easley) who i feel have a ton of potential. I agree, we should draft someone in the mid rounds but i feel that we could address our need at DE in round 2 if someone lasts until then (Curry, Mercilus, Branch).

Don't sweat it, there's little to no chance (IMO) that we sign Stevie AND vj or another similarly priced Wr. I wouldn't rule out a WR in rd 1 even if we sign Stevie. We need to improve at Wr, not just remain the same + Easley or a 4th-6th rd wr

Don't sweat it, there's little to no chance (IMO) that we sign Stevie AND vj or another similarly priced Wr. I wouldn't rule out a WR in rd 1 even if we sign Stevie. We need to improve at Wr, not just remain the same + Easley or a 4th-6th rd wr

What wideout do you feel is worth the #10 pick? Even though it probably won't happen, i think we should trade back this yr and add another pick in the 2nd if possible, unless our FO is sold on a guy like Rieff or Martin.

but i believe that guy is already on our team...MARCUS EASLEY

Waht are you exactly saying here? Should the Bills not pursue a #1 wideout because you think Easley is the answer next year and beyond? And, if they blow #1 money on a #2 (Johnson), then what?

Waht are you exactly saying here? Should the Bills not pursue a #1 wideout because you think Easley is the answer next year and beyond? And, if they blow #1 money on a #2 (Johnson), then what?

Stevie is their #1 wideout, im saying Easley could eventually be that threat opposite Johnson...im not sure what you're talking about, stevie isn't asking for a huge deal, he just wants to be paid like other guys with production like him (7-8 million/yr)

Stevie is their #1 wideout,

#1 wideouts make money catches. He's blown at least three games in the last two seasons.

Do folks on this board think that a receiver with 4.7 catches is actually going to catch 90 or more balls and magically avg. more than 13 yds/catch?

Johnson is in a position of leverage on a new contract simply because the Bills have backed themselves into a corner and do not have a better option right now.

I don't have a problem with the Bills re-signing Johnson. Just not at the expense of the rest of the team. If they're going to spend big money on a receiver, I'd rather it be someone like Colston or Garcon.

Signing Stevie is a must in my opinion.

And I'm still excited about Easley (provided he's healthy), but what killed us last year was

not having backup plans when things didn't go best case scenario, like Merriman being injured again,

no one to push Donald Jones, no backup center, etc. We need to have at least a plan B for as many

spots as possible next season. Let's hope Easley becomes a player, but let's not count on it.

We counted on too many things to go our way last year and in the end, they didn't.

So, I agree with Johnny H, once Stevie officially resigns, we should target a mid-tier FA WR and draft at least one WR.

The coaches need options if someone gets injured or to change things if someone isn't working out and not just be

stuck with it.

Edited by folz

#1 wideouts make money catches. He's blown at least three games in the last two seasons.

Do folks on this board think that a receiver with 4.7 catches is actually going to catch 90 or more balls and magically avg. more than 13 yds/catch?

Johnson is in a position of leverage on a new contract simply because the Bills have backed themselves into a corner and do not have a better option right now.

I don't have a problem with the Bills re-signing Johnson. Just not at the expense of the rest of the team. If they're going to spend big money on a receiver, I'd rather it be someone like Colston or Garcon.

I believe Stevie could develop to be a solid #1, but at present you're correct, he plays more like a very solid #2. I would be happy with Blackmon or Floyd at 10 (Blackmon much more so obviously). Reiff has the same problems Bulaga had- short arms. Considering I don't see a DE who is a clear-cut value at 10 playing DE in 4-3 (most of these guys are tweeners) and Kalil will be gone when we draft, I could very well see us going WR or CB at 10 and then picking up a DE/T in rds 2-3 where there is more value.

I hope the Bills aren't taking the position that they're gonna hope that someone currently on the roster is gonna step up and be the answer we need across from Stevie.

It would be nice if Easley and Jones continued to develop and gave us quality depth at the position.

But this team needs to stack talent and acquire serious elite talent, proven or otherwise instead of pinning hopes on a wing and a prayer.

If the rumors of an imminent Stevie signing are true, I'm very happy. If we sign a top talent at wide receiver or get one of the top wideouts in this year's draft, I'll be ecstatic.

Chris Brown on BB.com talked about this in the Fan Friday post , he said that the Bills wouls look at a WR in the draft b/c of Easley's past health problems (as other here have replied) that they couldn't depend on Easley until he proved 100% that he was healthy & could stay that way !!

I for one hope that he can make it all the way back & develops into the player they thought he would be , the only bad thing is that if he does get healthy & become that player when it comes time to re-up his contract will he show any thanks to the Bills organization for honoring his contract or will he screw them for a big contract & the money ??

the only bad thing is that if he does get healthy & become that player when it comes time to re-up his contract will he show any thanks to the Bills organization for honoring his contract or will he screw them for a big contract & the money ??

T, you're not supposed to have thoughts like this.

You're Mr. Enthusiasm and Optimism. You use a lot of exclamation points and say lots of hopeful things.

Get back with the program.

If Stevie re-signs and Welker and Bowe get tagged, the list of available UFA WR's becomes a lot thinner and the guys you mention become the top available guys and not simply "mid-tier" free agents.

most of these "mid-tier" WR you cite are better than Stevie, let alone Easley, and will not come cheap

since money is involved, do not expect any of them in Buffalo next year

What wideout do you feel is worth the #10 pick? Even though it probably won't happen, i think we should trade back this yr and add another pick in the 2nd if possible, unless our FO is sold on a guy like Rieff or Martin.

Bills will probably reach for Floyd #10 in a brazen attempt to sell tickets and merchandise based on the Notre Dame background

another wasted pick

I really don't think you can go into the season relying on a 4th round pick who hasn't even been on the field for a regular season game in two years because he can't stay healthy. Given how desperate they were for help at WR for much of this year, I think they'd be wise to add some quality competition at that position in the first two or three rounds this year, assuming they don't sign anyone as a free agent.

I think if healthy we have a good receiving corps. The problem is, there are a lot of injury concerns. Jones had some good showings, Easley clearly has potential, and Roscoe has a lot to offer. Problem is Roscoe and Easley have ended on IR each of the last 2 seasons and Jones couldn't stay healthy this past season. Whether he comes through the draft or FA, we need a solid option at receiver for insurance.

Sanu ran a 4.65 and Jeffery is 6'2", not 6'4". They should be there.

I think if healthy we have a good receiving corps. The problem is, there are a lot of injury concerns. Jones had some good showings, Easley clearly has potential, and Roscoe has a lot to offer. Problem is Roscoe and Easley have ended on IR each of the last 2 seasons and Jones couldn't stay healthy this past season. Whether he comes through the draft or FA, we need a solid option at receiver for insurance.

Roscoe has had 7 years to prove his worth and has not been consistent enough to count on. Cut bait.

most of these "mid-tier" WR you cite are better than Stevie, let alone Easley, and will not come cheap

Bills will probably reach for Floyd #10 in a brazen attempt to sell tickets and merchandise based on the Notre Dame background

another wasted pick

Spartacus, you're nothing if not consistent.

And you must be a helluva lot of fun to be around during the holidays.

We need to hit a HR with a receiver in the draft (if weresign SJ). I like Easley's potential but he is unproven and potentially damaged goods. A good 3rd round receiver might be Brian Quick from App State. Small school guy who dominated the FCS and played well when his team went up against FBS teams. Best part good route runner 6'4 220.

I completely disagree. If you take Stevie off the roster you have exactly ZERO quality receivers on this team.

I completely disagree. If you take Stevie off the roster you have exactly ZERO quality receivers on this team.

It depends how you define quality. I can't point to any of then and say that's the guy I'm counting on. Hence the comment we need another receiver. However, to say there's nothing behind Stevie is an overstatement..

We've got a talented productive receiver in Roscoe who does what he does very well; he just can't stay on the field. Easley may or may not have anything to offer. Neither of us knows. D Jones isn't a polished WR2 yet but he made some plays & could improve with experience. The offense worked with him in it. Again, I wouldn't want to rely on him but let's not be overly fatalistic here.

And while D Nelson isn't going to make any pro-bowls he is a quality WR3.,

another wasted pick

Just curious about which of those guys you think are better then Stevie? Can't be Meachem. Garcon? Manningham? Lloyd is a nice player but on the wrong side of 30 I believe. Definitely not Robinson. All of these guys, Lloyd aside, have benefited from being the 2nd and 3rd options on their respective teams.

Who knows if Easly can be healthy and Nix made it clear we need to upgrade our WRs because he knows they are all UDFAs or late rounders and just are good depth guys.

Stephen Hill or Tommy Streeter get my vote and Devon Wylie or Chris Rainey to replace Parrish.

Your spot on!