Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

I really dont get the fixation with those who participate in another sport and that it might inconvenience you for thirty seconds. The fact you get so bent out of shape and do so to the point of considering violence against others says a lot more about you than it does about moi.

Don't take it so personally. It is about the spandex mafia as a group, not you.

I'm sure if there were people playing tennis in the middle of a 45MPH street and darting back and forth in front of cars, then yelling at the people in cars about tennis players rights, people would hate tennis players too. As it is, tennis players don't tend to do that.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude Pab rhymes with jab or stab or tab. Geez. :doh:

I was asking him what it stands for.

And I was guessing what it stood for ... then rhyming with it. Slap your head a little harder, braintrust.

This thread has been funny, weird, frustrating at times and even troubling. I really dont get the fixation with those who participate in another sport and that it might inconvenience you for thirty seconds. The fact you get so bent out of shape and do so to the point of considering violence against others says a lot more about you than it does about moi.

"You blew a stopsign at 6AM!!! So Im gonna run you off the road!!!!"

"You drive 18 MPH and blocked a lane of traffic! So Im going to try to drive you into a ditch!!!"

OK, that makes sense. Very rational and sane, too. Mature.

But Ill play along and play the foil to all of you who want to keep this very odd discussion going, as long as youre not a Punk Ass B word who had to make up a phony name to participate.

I don't get your outrage. It seems like your position is that because you ride a bike everyone else should be cool with poor etiquette by other cyclers. If you're not the one holding up traffic & deciding to take long rides on narrow busy roads then it has nothing to do with you, & if you are doing those things you're the !@#$, not the guy honking at you. Please explain a rational objective basis for your position, b/c I'm having trouble seeing it.

I don't get your outrage. It seems like your position is that because you ride a bike everyone else should be cool with poor etiquette by other cyclers. If you're not the one holding up traffic & deciding to take long rides on narrow busy roads then it has nothing to do with you, & if you are doing those things you're the !@#$, not the guy honking at you. Please explain a rational objective basis for your position, b/c I'm having trouble seeing it.

He has no rational basis for his position. See he's a byclists who has openly admitted breaking the law.

Went for a ride yesterday. Had my full kit on. Bibs are so freaking comfortable. Look rad, too.

We enjoyed taking up the whole right lane, as my and my two friends rode side by side and chatted for miles. Cars behind us backed up a bit, but they didnt seem to mind at all. On Sunday AMs, stop lights and red lights really dont bother us too much so we roll through without too much of a hassle. Drivers are happy to stop and let us through. Every now and again a big truck will pass and really get on the gas as they pass. Exhaust doesnt bother us too much...we are used to it and it always makes us chuckle at why these big trucks make so much noise and pump out so much exhaust just to speed up 5 MPH. Diesel is freaking expensive...why waste it like that?

Later on, we dropped the hammer and for the next 35 miles really pushed the pace, averaging a bit over 20. Finished up the ride at the bike shop where we started and enjoyed a few nice Stone IPAs before heading home to watch the NFL Playoffs.

Its was a good day.

Nah, those are silly. I wouldnt say as silly as wearing a shirt with the name of a young man who plays football for a pro sports team. But still pretty silly. Nah, I wear a jersey for the team....I know this is foreign to you all.....that I actually BELONG TO. That is, the bike shop I race for. Crazy stuff.

40 miler planned for after work tonight. Traffic's gonna be tough, but they wont mind. Seriously, what driver has somewhere to be at 530 on a Monday night?

Will you be doing this ride sober unlike your Sunday ride.

Edited by Chef Jim

I don't get your outrage. It seems like your position is that because you ride a bike everyone else should be cool with poor etiquette by other cyclers.

Rob....PLEASE go back and read my posts before the thread descended into lunacy. I am against poor ettiquette by other cyclists as much as the next guy. I hate it. Why? Becuase its dangerous and becuase its continues this antagonistic relationship between cyclist and driver. I tried to explain this and I tried to be reasonable about it. But for some reason, there are a lot of people in this discussion, lead by Jim, who seem to think that its an "all or none" approach. That me admitting I go through lights slowly after checking that the intersection is clear at 6AM with no traffic around is the moral equivalent as blowing through them at full speed at 6PM during rush hour. I tried to be cool and explain my position but it went nowhere. So now we are here in this discussion. And thats what Im "outraged" about. That no matter how hard I tried to be reasonable and empathetic and explain the mindset of a cyclist and what we go through when out on the road, it was met with "!@#$ you, youre just another one of those smug !@#$s, who think youre above the law and Im gonna run you down!!!!!" Then that was coupled with the testimony after testimony of you guys who you were so terribly inconvenienced every time you ran across a group of people riding on a Sunday AM. As if some great sin was committed against you. I mean...come on. If you want to have this discussion, fine. But be fair about it.

Rob....PLEASE go back and read my posts before the thread descended into lunacy. I am against poor ettiquette by other cyclists as much as the next guy. I hate it. Why? Becuase its dangerous and becuase its continues this antagonistic relationship between cyclist and driver. I tried to explain this and I tried to be reasonable about it. But for some reason, there are a lot of people in this discussion, lead by Jim, who seem to think that its an "all or none" approach. That me admitting I go through lights slowly after checking that the intersection is clear at 6AM with no traffic around is the moral equivalent as blowing through them at full speed at 6PM during rush hour. I tried to be cool and explain my position but it went nowhere. So now we are here in this discussion. And thats what Im "outraged" about. That no matter how hard I tried to be reasonable and empathetic and explain the mindset of a cyclist and what we go through when out on the road, it was met with "!@#$ you, youre just another one of those smug !@#$s, who think youre above the law and Im gonna run you down!!!!!" Then that was coupled with the testimony after testimony of you guys who you were so terribly inconvenienced every time you ran across a group of people riding on a Sunday AM. As if some great sin was committed against you. I mean...come on. If you want to have this discussion, fine. But be fair about it.

This thread isn't about you but for some reaon (guilt?) you feel the need to make it about you.

Edited by Chef Jim

A lot of the ribbing you're catching here is all in good fun. For the record, I could care less if you obey the traffic laws, I just hate the guys that ride on a busy narrow two lane road and clog up traffic. Plus, come on man, you can't be a grown man sporting spandex nut huggers and not expect to take some flack for it.

Nah, those are silly. I wouldnt say as silly as wearing a shirt with the name of a young man who plays football for a pro sports team. But still pretty silly. Nah, I wear a jersey for the team....I know this is foreign to you all.....that I actually BELONG TO. That is, the bike shop I race for. Crazy stuff.

40 miler planned for after work tonight. Traffic's gonna be tough, but they wont mind. Seriously, what driver has somewhere to be at 530 on a Monday night?

So you make the determination for others what time/day they need to go somewhere?

This thread has been funny, weird, frustrating at times and even troubling. I really dont get the fixation with those who participate in another sport and that it might inconvenience you for thirty seconds. The fact you get so bent out of shape and do so to the point of considering violence against others says a lot more about you than it does about moi.

"You blew a stopsign at 6AM!!! So Im gonna run you off the road!!!!"

"You drive 18 MPH and blocked a lane of traffic! So Im going to try to drive you into a ditch!!!"

OK, that makes sense. Very rational and sane, too. Mature.

But Ill play along and play the foil to all of you who want to keep this very odd discussion going, as long as youre not a Punk Ass B word who had to make up a phony name to participate.

Odd discussion? I think it appears to be a very relevant discussion seeing there are so many against and you appear to be the only one for bicylists.

This thread is hilarious.

For the record I only laid the smoke on one dude who blatantly blew a stop light in the middle of the country in Ohio where speed limits are 55.

Not to be all pro-spandex, but I have also gone out of my way to be safe like a times in crowded and narrow busy streets when a biker was being decent and moving to the side. A bunch of kids were in cars around me, one in front and he blasts by the guy within maybe 20" going 40. This was an old city road through town, very narrow and no sidewalk. I could not pass so I just did my best to wait until the intersection ahead, he let me pass him at the light but only after chewing out the kids.

I won't be unsafe with a spandex guy - though, a dude on a bike would look like a pretty cool hood ornament for an F350.

A Harley seat?

http://images.wjla.com/entertainment/kate_upton_gq_606.jpg

I found you a seat...

Yeah... I never got the whole jersey thing either... I would never own a jersey especially with somebody else's name on it! The worst place on the planet I have ever seen was @ Indy in the old Hoosier Dome... It almost looked like everybody in attendance owned a jersey! :-O What were they in high school? Wearing their boyfriend's jersey? LoL...

Sorry to be so harsh... I just never got the man love.

How long have you been spandexing? How long have the most and least experienced members of your team been spandexing?

Did you guys make the playoffs?

LoL...

Anybody cite this thread as an TSW inside joke? In the other thread that is? LMAO! This is priceless!

Will you be doing this ride sober unlike your Sunday ride.

He was already done w/his bike ride when he downed the cool IPA's... That is when he loaded up his bike on the Thule/Yakima roof rack and proceeded to DUI... Save that for motor vehicles! :-O

Anyway... Speaking of roof racks... Funniest thing I ever witnessed was in a parking garage in Boston... Some spandex Nancy forgot that their bikes were on the roof of their cool "racked out" import... BOOM! I could stop laughing my azz off... The carnage was unreal... Boy, my compassionate wife was NOT happy with my emotional outburst. Hey... Nobody was hurt in that dumbass stunt!

They make extra wide seats....

http://www.realseat.com/intro.html

ROTFLMAO! This thread has taken a turn for the truly bizarre! OMG LoL..

It really isn't just bicycle riders, although they seem to be among the worst. It is the me me me generation; but bicycle riders are easy to point out because they are so in your face about everything and because their de facto leader, Lance Armstrong is such a blatant phony that they continue to worship right down to the ceremonial garb.

To examine Lance Armstrong is not difficult. Was he a great athlete in his own right? Sure. Did he work very hard to get where he was? Sure. Did he always think he was the center of the universe? I don't know and it doesn't really matter because at some point he began believing it and he still does. Everything he did was about him. Everything. It still is. I don't think he is coming clean to correct any wrongs. I don't think it is to save his foundation. It is to stay in the spotlight and stay famous.

And spare me the "he did so much good for charity" BS. Did anyone raise money for cancer before Lance came along? Of course. Will cancer research donations fall off if "Livestrong" is no more? Of course not. The money will just go to other organizations. Livestrong was an organization that did good;but make no mistake, Armstrong's participation was as self promotional as Troy Polamalu's hair. So what if he had to rip some people's lives apart to perpetuate his lies? It kept the attention on him and he could always use the foundation as an excuse and "proof" that he was a good guy.

He was not the worst liar ever. He certainly has fewer tells than OJ and Kobe, but it was EAAAAAAASSSY to tell he was lying the whole time. There was a parade of people who called him on it and he focused on making them the villains. THIS is the part that makes me wonder if there is something in the cycling mentality that is way off kilter or if it is just part of human nature that is easier to see in the me me me cyclists. Who really cares if anonymous people get hurt as long as Lance's attention train stayed on the tracks? She was just a secretary? Why not call her a hooker and boozer to all the world?

On a day to day level look at cyclists. They parade around screaming for attention in their stupid outfits. When they don't get attention they invade lanes made for cars. When that doesn't work they arrange a form of protest that blocks traffic and inconveniences as many people as possible. Somewhere in that line of cars there was probably a person on the verge of losing their job. When they got to work late it was the last straw and they got their pink slip. Somewhere in that line was a person on the way to he most important meeting of his or her life. They showed up late, failed to get the deal and can't afford to send their kid to college. Instead of visiting their grandchildren at a house with a white picket fence, they'll get to visit their crackhead kid at rehab. In another part of the line was a husband on his way to the hospital who arrived just in time to miss the birth of his child. He will be nagged for this forever. And the spandex mafia expects all of those people to be nice to them as they blow through another red light with their middle finger in the air.

Who really cares if anonymous people get hurt as long as the spandex mafia's attention train stayed on the tracks?

A pregnant lady was riding her bike down the middle of a right hand lane of a very busy 4 lane street. Two lanes each way so the speeds can exceed 50 mph at times. And she had one of those caboose things with her infant in tow behind her. I'm thinking wow, if something goes wrong, three lives are taken. Not a good choice if you ask me.