Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

I was walking on a hiking trail the other day coming around a corner and almost got creamed by two bicyclist's doing their off road thing going as fast as their legs could pedal them. I had to jump out of the way as he slammed on his brakes. Aren't they supposed to jingle a bell at blind corners? I just can't get away from those two wheeled nuisances.

Depending on the trail, they may not even be allowed on it. I know I've been on hiking trails that have signs not only at the trailhead, but out in the middle of the woods saying no bikes, but you can still see tire marks in the dirt.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was walking on a hiking trail the other day coming around a corner and almost got creamed by two bicyclist's doing their off road thing going as fast as their legs could pedal them. I had to jump out of the way as he slammed on his brakes. Aren't they supposed to jingle a bell at blind corners? I just can't get away from those two wheeled nuisances.

My wife and I were hiking and a bicyclist came behind us and shouted "on your left!!" Ok whose left? Mine, my wife's? So I just stopped dead in my tracks so she could fly by me. Never slowed down at all. It was up to us to figure out how to let them by. When skiing the downhill person has the right of way and on the street with pedestrian has the right of way. With bikers they feel they always have the right of way regardless of the situation.

Depending on the trail, they may not even be allowed on it. I know I've been on hiking trails that have signs not only at the trailhead, but out in the middle of the woods saying no bikes, but you can still see tire marks in the dirt.

In Redwood Regional Park by where we just moved has several no bikes allowed trails. I love that.

My wife and I were hiking and a bicyclist came behind us and shouted "on your left!!" Ok whose left? Mine, my wife's? So I just stopped dead in my tracks so she could fly by me. Never slowed down at all. It was up to us to figure out how to let them by. When skiing the downhill person has the right of way and on the street with pedestrian has the right of way. With bikers they feel they always have the right of way regardless of the situation.

Actually, what she did was proper and correct. Called out to you in a clear tone that she was approaching on your lefthand side. In this case, YOU didnt know the rules.

In Redwood Regional Park by where we just moved has several no bikes allowed trails. I love that.

I love the "no hikers" trails were I am! But...guess what....those damned arrogant smug runners and hikers and dog walkers (no dogs allowed, either) still muck up the joint. But I usually just slow down, let them pass, tell them my riding intentions, say hello and warn them they are on a bikers only path and to be careful. And then I go on my way. What I DONT do is get my clams steamed and then run home and whine about it online. Im funny like that.

Wait....you want us off the roads...so we say "OK" and go into the woods....then YOU follow us there and its OUR fault when you get all tangled up in our business? It sounds like they didnt see you around a blind corner, just like you didnt see them. So you both got startled a bit and went on your way. Problem?

Edited by RkFast

Actually, what she did was proper and correct. Called out to you in a clear tone that she was approaching on your lefthand side. In this case, YOU didnt know the rules.

On the left? Whose left? My wife and I were not shoulder to shoulder. She could have been passing on my left or my wife's left. If it was my left but my wife thought it was her left she could have moved to her right only to be run over by the bicyclist. Yeah great rule. The rule is slow down to the speed of the hiker, she flew by us. That's the reason I just stopped dead in my tracks because when there are two people walking on a path "on your left" is meaningless.

I love the "no hikers" trails were I am! But...guess what....those damned arrogant smug runners and hikers and dog walkers (no dogs allowed, either) still muck up the joint. But I usually just slow down, let them pass, tell them my riding intentions, say hello and warn them they are on a bikers only path and to be careful. And then I go on my way. What I DONT do is get my clams steamed and then run home and whine about it online. Im funny like that.

No hiker trails?? I've never seen that.

I'm not sure that by walking on a park trail one has assumed a duty to "know the rules" of the cycler. However, as annoying as guys on bikes are, particularly in heavy traffic, if you peddle your spandex covered ass to the woods and stay off my road I'm definitely going to cut you some slack.

If I was on the bike I would have pulled over on the side of the road to either kick that guys ass if he stopped or to have him continue on his merry way and out of my life.

Sometimes keeping it real goes wrong. I have a pretty big friend who years ago was riding with a skinny kitty who got cut off in traffic. Having a big guy riding shotgun gave this guy a case of testicular inflation, so he followed the car to the driveway, got out, and started walking up to talk ****. Out hop two big bad dudes, either one of which could have whipped both their asses while the other sat back and watched. Luckily for my friend when he said "sorry, thought you were someone else" they were cool enough to let him go, but that could have been a time when keeping it real went terribly, terribly wrong.

The moral of the story is, never volunteer to fight someone unless you know what you're up against. Especially on a bike. It's one thing to hop in your car and drive away, quite another to try to outpeddle a vehicle.

I'm not sure that by walking on a park trail one has assumed a duty to "know the rules" of the cycler. However, as annoying as guys on bikes are, particularly in heavy traffic, if you peddle your spandex covered ass to the woods and stay off my road I'm definitely going to cut you some slack.

This is curious. You seem to be very roiled up that cyclists dont know and follow all the rules that apply to them, but when it comes to rules that hikers should know and follow, they get a pass. Its the same when youre driving. youre supposed to know how the rules apply not just to you, as the car operator, but to the peds, the bikers and everyone else you come across. Thats drivign school 101 stuff there.

And again with the spandex thing. Why does the outfit bother you so much?

And its not "YOUR" road.

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/media/share-road.htm

Edited by RkFast

This is curious. You seem to be very roiled up that cyclists dont know and follow all the rules that apply to them, but when it comes to rules that hikers should know and follow, they get a pass. Its the same when youre driving. youre supposed to know how the rules apply not just to you, as the car operator, but to the peds, the bikers and everyone else you come across. Thats drivign school 101 stuff there.

And its not "YOUR" road.

http://www.safeny.ny.../share-road.htm

On a hiking trail who has the right of way? Just wondering.

This is curious. You seem to be very roiled up that cyclists dont know and follow all the rules that apply to them, but when it comes to rules that hikers should know and follow, they get a pass.

On a hiking trail who has the right of way? Just wondering.

And what are the hiking rules you mentioned?

And its not "YOUR" road.

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/media/share-road.htm

What're you talking about? I said I'd give you a pass too for having the decency to get off my road. Don't be an ingrate.

And come on, man. It's not my fault that a guy in spandex is both disturbing & hilarious at the same time.

And it is my road, you're just on it. :nana:

And its not "YOUR" road.

http://www.safeny.ny.../share-road.htm

When it comes to 2000 lb vehicle vs. you on a bicycle, regardless of what the law says you would be WELL advised to assume it's the car's road.

Sometimes keeping it real goes wrong. I have a pretty big friend who years ago was riding with a skinny kitty who got cut off in traffic. Having a big guy riding shotgun gave this guy a case of testicular inflation, so he followed the car to the driveway, got out, and started walking up to talk ****. Out hop two big bad dudes, either one of which could have whipped both their asses while the other sat back and watched. Luckily for my friend when he said "sorry, thought you were someone else" they were cool enough to let him go, but that could have been a time when keeping it real went terribly, terribly wrong.

The moral of the story is, never volunteer to fight someone unless you know what you're up against. Especially on a bike. It's one thing to hop in your car and drive away, quite another to try to outpeddle a vehicle.

By stopping didn't mean I wanted to fight but I'm not going to back down if that's what happens.

I didn't know there was hiker's rules that we should all know. Can you give them to me so when I walk on a hiking trail I'm compliant? And when I say hiking trails, these are single file hiking trails only 12 inches wide. Also I do go on trails 6 feet wide so what are the rules there?

Rules schmules. Weighing 4 1/2 tons I get the ROW...or a new hood ornament.

4 1/2 tons? Oh I don't know about that. Have you seen some of these fat asses in spandex? It never ceases to amaze me how fat some of these people are with all the exercise they get. Calves like rocks, bellies of goo.

4 1/2 tons? Oh I don't know about that. Have you seen some of these fat asses in spandex? It never ceases to amaze me how fat some of these people are with all the exercise they get. Calves like rocks, bellies of goo.

I don't see too many bicyclists out my way...and I am glad. This time of year, though, there are a few that start to pop out complete in spandex. I just cannot imagine pulling that unitard up and thinking, "yeah, I am ready!" Gay.