If Stevie Johnson is not retained by the Buffalo Bills

Estro

It will confirm that that the Buffalo Bills are nothing more than a Double A farm team for the rest of the NFL.

Also, it will ensure them of having one of one of the worst offenses in the NFL to go along with them having one of the worst defenses. Someone go tell Freddie and CJ to enjoy the eight man fronts.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like 90% of the other posts I'd be upset, would not renew my season tix as it would add to the growing amount of evidence they have no idea what they are doing. Why create yet another hole in the team. You saw how awful the WR corps was without Stevie. Sign him or franchise him and get on with it. So they won't pay him $8M per year to sign who for what and play with a bunch of scrubs again? No thanks

If they let him go, don't get someone like Bowe to replace him, and spend a 1st round pick on a WR, I'll be pissed. At this point, it's "a bird in the hand." Work out a deal, and if you can't, franchise him. There is no guarantee you'll get anyone better in FA or the draft.

Losing Stevie would make the Bills look really shady. How many WR's in the league can make Revis Island look look bad??

The good thing is Stevie wants to be here. Will the Bills make it happen we will find out soon enough.

The only thing about Stevie that he drops some big time passes but so do other WR's like Wes Welker in the Super Bowl.

7.5 million a year should do it and the Bills have the money. You would think they have done it by now.I am worried at this point like other people on this board.

Hey Estro, great post and question.

Like you and many others have stated, if the Bills let SJ13 walk, I will be extremely disappointed with the Franchise. I've been a big supporter of Nix/Whaley/Gailey since they started this re-build project. But letting Stevie walk would show that there is no plan, there is no improvement, and the team will always be spinning its wheels. Basically, telling us fans to not bother caring.

Now, it should be noted that I felt kinda the same way last year regarding Whitner and (especially) Poz. And both of those players were replaced, and even upgraded. However, I dont think either of those players were as important to the Defense as Stevie is to the Offense. Even more so since WR is already a major need.

With regard to Bell, Im on the fence. Id love to see him re-signed. But I also see this as potentially a Jonas Jennings situation. The 9ers paid Jennings "fairly" but he spent most of his time there on IR. So with Bell, I dunno.

I'll be upset if/when Stevie signs elsewhere, but I will give the FO until camp to make my "final decision" as to whether I'm completely off the bandwagon or not. I want to see how FA and the Draft and Cap Cuts play out.

Buddy: Just Git'r'dun

I want to know what your opinions will be if come late March Stevie Johnson is smiling and meeting the media to talk about his new contract in a city other than Buffalo? Keep in mind if this does happen the Bills will tell you "we made every effort to keep him, but we don't think he felt the same way." But looking past the excuses, what will your gut feeling be if Steve is gone a month from now?

I'll start it off by saying I'll be utterly dissapointed in this franchise and their inability to retain "their home grown" talent. I, like most fans, don't know for sure if Ralph limits spending, but deep down I believe through extensions like Scott Berchtold the Bills compete in the NFL with one hand tied behind their back. When Buddy was hired and went on record as saying Ralph doesn't limit what he can and can't do I really wanted to believe him, and it's possible he's telling the truth. If the Bills let Stevie walk, though, I think it'll be proved once again that the football guys aren't the ones that have 100% authority over this roster, and if that is the case it disgusts me.

This year we head into free agency with 2 of our own 7th round picks, D. Bell and Stevie Johnson, about to test the market. Buddy has been on record as saying that the Bills MO will be to reward their own, so if both of these guys walk then whats the conclusion. They can't really think they can take the gamble and let Stevie walk thinking they can sign Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe to replace him do they? While it is possible, it seems like an extremely risky strategy and one the team shouldn't take. It's difficult enough for Buffalo to attract sought after free agents from other teams, so if any team needs to put a higher emphasis on retainging their own qulaity free agaents it's certainly the Bills

Throw in the fact we just threw some serious money to a QB who will need all the offensive help he can get, and letting Stevie walk looks even sillier.

This team has to find a better balance of extending young guys with promise earlier in their contracts. I know sometimes you can get burned doing so, but the risk is worth the reward, IMO. I hope my fears aren't realized, but with every passing day I'm a little more convinced the Buffalo Bills, under the direction of Ralphie are about making money first and foremost, and if they can win some along the way than all the better. With that type of motive in the highly competetive NFL, the playoffs seem just as close as they have been for the past 12 seasons:

no where to be found.

Anyone disagree with my thinking here?

I sure disagree with your thinking. We have won how many games with Stevie Johnson the past 2 years? TEN!! How many big catches has Stevie made the last 2 years that have been game changing? Obviously not very many. Most of you on this board way overrate his numbers and the impact he has had on our team. Today's NFL is very pass oriented and many receivers have 1,000 yard seasons. He is a good receiver, but certainly not a game changer. Sure I would be happy if we resign Stevie. But he is NOT a dominant player in this league. The only game changer we have on offense is Fred Jackson. I bet if you put Derrick Hagan in Stevie's position and throw him the same amount of balls, running the same routes, his numbers would be almost as good if not equal or better than Stevie's. My point is that Steve Johnson is a GOOD receiver, but nothing special. Lets look at the makeup of the entire team after free agency and the draft is completed before most of you jump off a bridge when Stevie signs someplace else.

I will call the season ticket rep that keeps calling me and rip him a new one :devil: .

I will have a very hard time continuing to support this franchise after another bonehead move. The stated "we will resign our own" would be proven to be a lie, the build through the draft proven to be a sham, and my faith in anything Buffalo Bills would be completely destroyed.

To sum it up I will be thoroughly, completely, and utterly pissed.

It all depends on the asking price. I dont think we should pay him $10 mil a year.

The team has to be somewhat responsible for the contracts they're handing out. They cant throw the house at an above average WR.

Edited by Billsrhody

It all depends on the asking price. I dont think we should pay him $10 mil a year.

The team has to be somewhat responsible for the contracts they're handing out. They cant through the house at an above average WR.

It has been widely reported that the Bills and SJ were only about $1mil/year apart. One could deduce that the numbers on either side were around $6mil or $7mil a year.

If SJ was really asking for $10mil/year, I believe the proposal exchange reported above would not be going on.

One guy is often injured, the other guy drops passes in big games may be the thinking by this FO / owner, who really knows what this ball club will do. I can't see them using the franchise tag on either at 10 mill per...

All I know is that the guy behind Stevie Johnson (19th ) was the 61st WR last year in Donald Jones, which doesn't bode well for Chan Gailey and his 4-5 WR sets

I sure disagree with your thinking. We have won how many games with Stevie Johnson the past 2 years? TEN!! How many big catches has Stevie made the last 2 years that have been game changing? Obviously not very many. Most of you on this board way overrate his numbers and the impact he has had on our team. Today's NFL is very pass oriented and many receivers have 1,000 yard seasons. He is a good receiver, but certainly not a game changer. Sure I would be happy if we resign Stevie. But he is NOT a dominant player in this league. The only game changer we have on offense is Fred Jackson. I bet if you put Derrick Hagan in Stevie's position and throw him the same amount of balls, running the same routes, his numbers would be almost as good if not equal or better than Stevie's. My point is that Steve Johnson is a GOOD receiver, but nothing special. Lets look at the makeup of the entire team after free agency and the draft is completed before most of you jump off a bridge when Stevie signs someplace else.

Does SJ make the team better or worse? If it's the former, keeping him is essential to building a football team.

The italicized demonstrates the absurdity here. Derek Hagan is a journeyman, with 109 receptions for 1,221 in 6 career seasons whereas SJ's production in one season is about 80% of that. If decisions were made in a vacuum, sure you could save the cash and let SJ leave. Except it means your top wideouts become David Nelson, Donald Jones, and Derek Hagan who are 2 former UDFA's and a street FA.

It appears SJ is working with the team on a deal and that's good. At this point, the team knows that they need him more than he needs them. And that's why there's ongoing negotiations.

Letting a good 25 year old reciver walk would kill this team. We dont have the depth to let good players go. We are 20 million under the cap and complain all the time we let our talent walk. You let stevie go I guarantee he will get 8-10 million a year from some team to be their number one. Like it or not thats the going rate for a receiver of his caliber.

It amazes me sometimes how cheap Bills fans are. You have to overpay sometimes to keep your good players. If we walk into next season with David Nelson, and nothing against David, as our number one our offense will be the laughing stock of the league.

The team has to be somewhat responsible for the contracts they're handing out. They cant throw the house at an above average WR.

Calvin johnson's cap number next year is 21 Million. I think half that sounds about right for Stevie

If the bills let stevie walk. I am out (the thurman,bruce,kelly,reed years are impacting me for way too long)......Cam Newton and Carolina fandom here i come. I mean how many losman, trent edwards, ryan fitzpatrick seasons can one man sit through? This franchise will be a joke w/o stevie..

Oh good, it only took 28 posts to get to the absurd "We havent won with him!" argument.

That statement is made every season, about numerous quality players, and it is just as stupid now as it has been in the past.

Horrible, horrible logic. Might as well cut Dareus, we've only ever won 6 games with him on the team!!

Edited by DrDareustein