Why We're Heading In The Right Direction

HuSeYiN1978

This is my thought on why I think we're heading in the right direction going into the 2012 season.

In the beginning of this past season I was excited for football as every NFL fan was BECAUSE of the lockout ending and coming to realization that football will be played. Other than Nick Barnett coming to the team we didn't really have any big flashes in free agency as Buddy Nix pointed out the first year he got here. "We're going to build through the draft" he said.

The draft came and the 1st pick was Dareus (another reason I got excited. Also Fitz having the starting job from day 1 was something I was looking forward to but we didn't have any names to look forward to except for maybe Merriman being healthy and starting in Day 1, Pro Bowler Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson and Eric Wood.

We knew we loved Fred but we didn't think he would have the impact he had on games this past year.

We didn't think Spiller had it in him. He just kept slipping on the field.

We never thought we'd finally have a TE catching some damn balls.

Now going into 2012 look at all the names we have to look forward to.

Can't wait to have Dareus and Williams line up next to each other.

We all want Chandler, Johnson, Bell, Urbik and Rhinehart to be signed.

I personally can't wait to see what Aaron Williams will do at the CB position this year.

I also personally want to see if Merriman can stay healthy and if he does how he will impact the games.

Love the fact we got Nick Barnett.

Can't wait to see Fred and Spiller in the mix this year and how they will be utilized.

Can't wait to see if Rogers will have an impact on returns.

Can't wait to see if Sheppard will have an impact with Wannstedt.

Carrington looks good at depth (maybe even a starter we just don't quite know what he can bring to the table)

Thank God for Levitre.

Kickers DO play a big part in a team so thank you Buddy for re-signing Lindell...

Look at the team we have going into the 2012 season and the draft is not even here yet. Free agency is coming sooner than that...

Just imagine us going free agent crazy this year and making at least one big splash whether it being Vincent Jackson, Umenyiora, Mathis, Mario Williams etc.

And then imagine us having an excellent or just as good a draft as we did last year and the Bills we know WILL have taken that long awaited step forward...

IMO of course.

I don't know about you guys but I'm excited to see what happens next year. Buddy knows his job is on the line this year if he can't put a winning footbal team together so I believe just like anyone else who's trying to save his job, he'll do what he has to do to keep it.

Can't wait...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking the same thing about Chan and Nix. Either one of them or both of them will be gone if we don't come extrely close to the playoffs. By close I mean within the last week of the season, if were not playing a game that means playoff implications then one or both is gone. With all that said I think you might see a huge (by Bills standards) run at some quality FAs. Either Bowe or Jackson because Nix drafted one and Gailey succeeded with another in the past and probably Williams or Mathis because they know we need a pass rush. It's also a hope that The Stach maybe has some pull and has taken the job with either assuming that he will get one of the FA toys or his choice of 1st pick in the draft.

Personally I think were a dominant pass rusher and another solid WR away from fielding a playoff team and this would do it. If they got body in FA they could spend the rest on LBs and during up the depth at LB and OL positions.

Go Bills!!!

I'm thinking the same thing about Chan and Nix. Either one of them or both of them will be gone if we don't come extrely close to the playoffs. By close I mean within the last week of the season, if were not playing a game that means playoff implications then one or both is gone. With all that said I think you might see a huge (by Bills standards) run at some quality FAs. Either Bowe or Jackson because Nix drafted one and Gailey succeeded with another in the past and probably Williams or Mathis because they know we need a pass rush. It's also a hope that The Stach maybe has some pull and has taken the job with either assuming that he will get one of the FA toys or his choice of 1st pick in the draft.

Personally I think were a dominant pass rusher and another solid WR away from fielding a playoff team and this would do it. If they got body in FA they could spend the rest on LBs and during up the depth at LB and OL positions.

Go Bills!!!

It definitely WILL be interesting to see if Wanstache gets to pick a player of his choice in the draft. I highly doubt especially with Nix knowing his job is on the line that he would let Wannstedt choose the 1st round pick but I think maybe the 3rd rounder's choice could be Dave's? Who knows. What I do know is this year pretty much is it. Fans definitely have had enough. I really do believe we have a lot of things to look forward to next year as far as defense goes. I just hope the offense can pull it together (and by that I really mean I hope Fitz can play a little better than last year) and not lose the season for us...

I agree with the OP. We have a lot to look forward to as Bills' fans. The Bills should be players in free agency, this year, we have a ton of guys returning off the IR and another draft to look forward to.

On top of all that, there seems to be a changing of the guard taking place in the AFC. New England doesn't have a defense and Brady is getting old, Pittsburgh is about $25mill above the salary cap, Peyton might not be back in Indy, the Jets are imploding, and the Ravens will always be beatable as long as they have Flacco at QB. The AFC is ripe for the picking. Other than Houston or maybe even Cincy, I don't see any other teams on the rise. Now is our chance!

Let's go Bills!!!!!

I agree with the OP. We have a lot to look forward to as Bills' fans. The Bills should be players in free agency, this year, we have a ton of guys returning off the IR and another draft to look forward to.

On top of all that, there seems to be a changing of the guard taking place in the AFC. New England doesn't have a defense and Brady is getting old, Pittsburgh is about $25mill above the salary cap, Peyton might not be back in Indy, the Jets are imploding, and the Ravens will always be beatable as long as they have Flacco at QB. The AFC is ripe for the picking. Other than Houston or maybe even Cincy, I don't see any other teams on the rise. Now is our chance!

Let's go Bills!!!!!

I agree with your interpretation of the AFC, it APPEARS as though the dominant ways of Steelers/Colts/Patriots (But the pats will probably still be damn good as long as Brady/Belichick are together - though we found a way to beat them this past season) are coming to a close....ripe indeed, lets hope we Carpe Diem as an org. during free agency

injuries played a major factor in this team missing the playoffs last year, and firing coaches and GMs won't do this franchise any good, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did let some coaches go, which is probably the dumbest thing this team could do.

The team's primary focus should be building depth, stopping the run through a solid game plan, and strength and conditioning, but hey, what do I know.

Don't forget Troup returning after finally having his back issue repaired. I truly believe the kid was ready to contribute in a big way.

I'm as optimistic as anyone, but I really need to see a commitment from the front office on guys like Stevie, and for them to make something of a splash in free agency, to get really excited.

Let's go Bills!!!!!

You're right. Also I believe last year was our chance but injuries plagued us and I guess "we weren't ready for success". This year in my opinion will be if not "THE" year then it will be the start of this team on the rise. Last year we couldn't go anywhere BUT up because of the way we played the year before that. This year if we play better than last? Then we should be ok.

I agree with your interpretation of the AFC, it APPEARS as though the dominant ways of Steelers/Colts/Patriots (But the pats will probably still be damn good as long as Brady/Belichick are together - though we found a way to beat them this past season) are coming to a close....ripe indeed, lets hope we Carpe Diem as an org. during free agency

Yes we DID figure out a way to beat the Pats and they ARE dangerous whenever Brady/Belichick are together but the first game we not only came back to win the game, in the second game we had a 21-0 lead on a super bowl team. The Giants layed the blueprint out on them. DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE. That's where we start building this year. I love the fact we got Williams and Dareus next to each other. Now's the time to add two or at least one dominant new face to that line.

injuries played a major factor in this team missing the playoffs last year, and firing coaches and GMs won't do this franchise any good, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did let some coaches go, which is probably the dumbest thing this team could do.

The team's primary focus should be building depth, stopping the run through a solid game plan, and strength and conditioning, but hey, what do I know.

I like Gailey and I think the only way he gets fired is if the team goes 2-14 or 3-13 or something like that. Nix on the other hand I believe has his job on the line this year. Last year IMO he had a great draft. This year all he needs to do to keep his job is be strong in free agency and then have THAT guy pan out and have just as good a draft as last year. Strength and conditioning is something this team has lacked for a while now so you have a very great point in that...

Don't forget Troup returning after finally having his back issue repaired. I truly believe the kid was ready to contribute in a big way.

I'm as optimistic as anyone, but I really need to see a commitment from the front office on guys like Stevie, and for them to make something of a splash in free agency, to get really excited.

Believe me I really DO want Troup to contribute this year but I really don't know what he can bring to the table. This year will also be his his to show what he can do now that he's healthy.

Team looked like it was building stability on the o line. Then their best o lineman already with one horrific injury went down again.

I definitely believe the O-Line got "better" but IMO they only looked better cuz Fitz was getting rid of the ball in point 3 seconds. I wonder what Fitz could do if the line can hold it for at least 4 to 5 seconds for him.

Let's go Bills!!!!!

and the Ravens will always be beatable as long as they have Flacco at QB.

The Ravens are beatable as long as the WR's suck. Boldin is there only good receiver and he's not a speed/gamebreaker type receiver. He's a slot/possession type. Flacco outplayed Brady in the playoff game, but...Lee Evans and Billy Cundif kinda let him down. Kinda. IMO.

and the Ravens will always be beatable as long as they have Flacco at QB.

The Ravens are beatable as long as the WR's suck. Boldin is there only good receiver and he's not a speed/gamebreaker type receiver. He's a slot/possession type. Flacco outplayed Brady in the playoff game, but...Lee Evans and Billy Cundif kinda let him down. Kinda. IMO.

Boldin & their TE Pitta are good weapons. Torrey Smith showed flashes this past year that he can be a player, but the Ravens need another option at WR and a better kicker. IMO, the Pats got lucky beating the Ravens, but sometimes that's what you need.

And unicorns will fly over rainbows to a land where everyone is happy...

I'll believe in this rebuild only after this team kicks down a few doors and claims relevance. All my optimism has been spent. It is amazing to see so much hope from the fanbase year after year.

I'll believe in this rebuild only after this team kicks down a few doors and claims relevance. All my optimism has been spent. It is amazing to see so much hope from the fanbase year after year.

I believe the Bills are headed in the right direction but I'm not clear on how long the journey is or when they'll 'arrive'. Competitvely, they've been at a disadvantage to the teams in their division for what seems like forever. I like to be optimistic but I want to be realistic too.

The thing is that everybody goes into the offseason looking to improve. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins are working on offseason plans to improve their teams too. So for the Bills to move forward they need to incrementally improve at a faster rate just to catch up.

Your first objective has got to be to beat the teams in your division. The Bills were 1-5 last year. Improvement to a 4-2 mark would probably lead to contending for a playoff spot. That means hitting on picks 1,2,3 in the draft, pursuing and signing a free agent or two, and not losing any key contributors on the roster and creating more 'needs' to be addressed.

1328890814[/url]' post='2381150']

And unicorns will fly over rainbows to a land where everyone is happy...

As sad as it is to admit... I agree with this attitude more and more each day. I have almost no optimism for this team at this point. With that said, I might get a titch of it back if:

They re-sign Stevie. If they let him walk, for any reason, this franchise is going no where. Period.

They re-sign a few of the other key players currently on the bubble.

They extend Freddie.

Do that, and they show they're able to recognize talent currently on the team and they want to keep it and build around it finally.

Go after a quality WR and pass rushing DE or LB in free agency.

Do that, and they show they recognize what our biggest offensive and defensive needs are.

Have a solid draft. That's all I can hope for here. Until we see who they re-sign and pick up as FAs, I can't see hoping for any particular player(s).

Do that, and they're continuing to build a solid foundation.

Get Fitz into a core strength and training program and working with someone on his foot work. His greatest problem is down field accuracy. At least attempt to correct that and we just may notice an improvement in his game.

Do all that prior to or concurrent with the OTAs and I'll consider it a good offseason, and entertain the possibility that this team is heading in the right direction. Don't do each of those things, and its the final proof that they truly are just spinning their wheels. So until I see what happens with Stevie, imo, the first domino that will fall, I have little to no feeling one way or the other about the future direction of this team.

Edited by Dan

Go Bills!!!

Agree but would add 1 left tackle also.

As sad as it is to admit... I agree with this attitude more and more each day. I have almost no optimism for this team at this point. With that said, I might get a titch of it back if:

They re-sign Stevie. If they let him walk, for any reason, this franchise is going no where. Period.

They re-sign a few of the other key players currently on the bubble.

They extend Freddie.

Do that, and they show they're able to recognize talent currently on the team and they want to keep it and build around it finally.

Go after a quality WR and pass rushing DE or LB in free agency.

Do that, and they show they recognize what our biggest offensive and defensive needs are.

Have a solid draft. That's all I can hope for here. Until we see who they re-sign and pick up as FAs, I can't see hoping for any particular player(s).

Do that, and they're continuing to build a solid foundation.

Get Fitz into a core strength and training program and working with someone on his foot work. His greatest problem is down field accuracy. At least attempt to correct that and we just may notice an improvement in his game.

Do all that prior to or concurrent with the OTAs and I'll consider it a good offseason, and entertain the possibility that this team is heading in the right direction. Don't do each of those things, and its the final proof that they truly are just spinning their wheels. So until I see what happens with Stevie, imo, the first domino that will fall, I have little to no feeling one way or the other about the future direction of this team.

Don't hold your breath