Why We're Heading In The Right Direction

HuSeYiN1978

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That statement is about the furthest from the truth I've ever read. unconditionally is used to describe the love between parents and children, not sports fans and their respective teams. As a matter of fact its more a love / hate relationship from every fan I've ever known

Fans have a right to B word and complain, vent their passions and frustrations in forums like this one. ten years man....TEN YEARS MAN! Bills fans have more then their share of frustrations to vent about and more then enough reasons to be skeptical.

The Redskins fans are far better off IMO, at least their foolish owner goes way overboard on spending trying to build a winner. Whereas this owner lets loose his three headed monster to control and restrict what the GM and HC can do in terms of obtaining free agents and holding on to established vets.

I have an idea. Why don't you start your own thread " Why the Bills are NOT moving in the right direction." ?

:lol:

So many Bills players to re sign and everyone thinking this team will go nuts spending on free agancy...Mario Williams- Vincent Jackson. When I see it, I'll believe it.

Well, so far they have done what you think they wouldn't. Which is also what Nix said he would do. "build through the draft and resign key contributors"

Stevie- Check

Lindell- Check

Martin- Not a huge guy but a solid STs player and contributor in the least- Check

Chandler- Check

Stevie, Merriman both making strong play for VJ and now with Wimbly as another DE talent available we have more options and opportunities.

I must say... this FO is definitely showing some signs of competence. About a month ago, this thread was started, and I laid out what I saw as the keys to a good off season. Also, for me personally, what it would take to enter the 2012 season with some measure of optimism.

For me, signing Stevie was a big part of it; he was first domino that would fall, if you will. With his re-signing and now Chandler's, I think I'll say item 1 is checked off my list. The FO is indeed recognizing their own talent and not letting it walk. I know we have a few more players to re-sign; but at this point, I think the FO has shown that they're certainly willing to do what it takes. We can't forget that the players have a voice as well, and for that reason, not all players re-sign with their current teams.

Next step is free agency. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Also, in this post, I was ready to say BillsVet was right about the future of the team and the FO. My question, is now, BV and other "Ralph is Cheap" posters, are you ready to say that this FO.. may.. be on the right track? I say, may, not is. I admit, we still have a good distance to go before we see the baby. Note: I'm not attempting to call anyone out. I genuinely want to know if maybe some of these moves are beginning to change your mind a little as well.

This has been a good off season, thus far. Let's all hope it continues. Go Bills!

So you're replying to your own post of nearly a month ago to, yes, call a me out because Scott Chandler and SJ have re-signed? Awesome.

For the record, I'm not a "Ralph is Cheap" type, nor can anyone unilaterally be described that way who understands the motivation at OBD. It's much more nuanced than being pro or anti-RW as you're attempting to portray it. Before we get all giddy, let's see how UFA opens up.

RE: the latest signings...Buffalo absolutely needed to retain SJ, if nothing else because no one else behind him is close to being a 1 or a 2 receiver. Scott Chandler is a slightly above replacement level TE who struggles to separate between the 20s, totaling less than 50 yards receiving in 11 of 14 games. Sure, someone will cite his 6 TD catches, but he also had 8 games of less than 30 yards receiving.

Two years of rebuilding and needs all over the field: WR, LT, RDE, DE depth, TE not to mention a long term answer at QB. Those just happen to be the hardest to find positions in the modern NFL. They have a long way to go and we'll see if they're all-in like Buddy makes it sound.

I wanted very much to be a Nix fan because I liked his personality and because I just wanted to have a good GM - and, so far, I like his moves mostly. There are a few I do question - especially his choice of who to pay, and his and Gailey's tendency to go after guys they are familiar with (as if they don't trust their scouts enough to find better talent elsewhere?).

Now, though, this far into things (two years) - I'm optimistic that at least Buddy is putting together a good team, albeit slowly, from the lines out. That is why I have a real hunch their first two picks will be an OT with their first, and a DE with their second - which, if the DE was good enough, could put their lines in place for the next few years. Add a skill reciever, maybe a QB with potential in the draft, and another rushing linebacker and this team is capable of going toe to toe with a lot of teams. I like that they brought the money from last year over to spend - it could prove to be very wise, letting young guys get valuable game experience last year, while also waiting for the right talent at the right time - we're closer to being ready now than last year.

We'll have to see how it all pans out. I think Fitz contract might hurt this team and Gailey if he turns out to be too inconsistent. I mean, at the very least, if Nix and Gailey really want to show everyone they are ready and serious about the playoffs, then they've got to have a second QB that can play, and push Fitz, and maybe be better. It's time to draft a talented young QB.

1331249961[/url]' post='2399181']

So you're replying to your own post of nearly a month ago to, yes, call a me out because Scott Chandler and SJ have re-signed? Awesome.

I'm sorry you felt I quoted my earlier post in an attempt to call you out, I didn't. I just wanted to recap what I considered would be a decent off season and highlight where we were in that process. I thought bringing up that post would simply be more efficient than restating it all in a new thread.

I was also, genuinely, interested to get your opinion on the recent moves. Mostly because you're a consistent and vocal critic of the Bills' FO (for good reason, as I previously stated). I just wondered if someone more critical of the FO than me was beginning to change his mind as well. That's really all there was to it.

I suppose I got my answer. Thanks.

I just want this team to win...but, 12+years with no playoffs make me think 13+ is attainable

Not if we are playing Manning/Brady/Jets six times per year. That's 1-5 best case for the next couple years. Can't make the playoffs if you have to run the table outside your division. Just saying.

Im not quite sold on Fitz being a franchise QB yet. In order to go in the playoff direction we need better QB play, by that I mean less INT's. To me Fitz has room to improve but we will see if he can.

Also an issue is WR. What do we have besides Stevie?? Easley has promise but cant stay healthy. Nelson is our slot WR but who is #2? Jones? We need an upgrade at WR.

We might need a new LT since they have not re-signed Bell. Harrison is ok but if they don't keep Bell then LT has to be addressed.

We all know what we need on D . A pass rusher is a must.

So my point is they might need another season to get all the right pieces. I would be surprised if they make the playoffs this yr. Hope they prove me wrong but they have to upgrade the 4 most important positions on the team IMO.

QB, LT ,DE, LB.

• 2 weeks later...
1328893563[/url]' post='2381178']

As sad as it is to admit... I agree with this attitude more and more each day. I have almost no optimism for this team at this point. With that said, I might get a titch of it back if:

They re-sign Stevie. If they let him walk, for any reason, this franchise is going no where. Period.

They re-sign a few of the other key players currently on the bubble.

They extend Freddie.

Do that, and they show they're able to recognize talent currently on the team and they want to keep it and build around it finally.

Go after a quality WR and pass rushing DE or LB in free agency.

Do that, and they show they recognize what our biggest offensive and defensive needs are.

Have a solid draft. That's all I can hope for here. Until we see who they re-sign and pick up as FAs, I can't see hoping for any particular player(s).

Do that, and they're continuing to build a solid foundation.

Get Fitz into a core strength and training program and working with someone on his foot work. His greatest problem is down field accuracy. At least attempt to correct that and we just may notice an improvement in his game.

Do all that prior to or concurrent with the OTAs and I'll consider it a good offseason, and entertain the possibility that this team is heading in the right direction. Don't do each of those things, and its the final proof that they truly are just spinning their wheels. So until I see what happens with Stevie, imo, the first domino that will fall, I have little to no feeling one way or the other about the future direction of this team.

1331230504[/url]' post='2398811']

I must say... this FO is definitely showing some signs of competence. About a month ago, this thread was started, and I laid out what I saw as the keys to a good off season. Also, for me personally, what it would take to enter the 2012 season with some measure of optimism.

For me, signing Stevie was a big part of it; he was first domino that would fall, if you will. With his re-signing and now Chandler's, I think I'll say item 1 is checked off my list. The FO is indeed recognizing their own talent and not letting it walk. I know we have a few more players to re-sign; but at this point, I think the FO has shown that they're certainly willing to do what it takes. We can't forget that the players have a voice as well, and for that reason, not all players re-sign with their current teams.

Next step is free agency. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

This has been a good off season, thus far. Let's all hope it continues. Go Bills!

Here I am rehashing this thread again. In it, I described what I thought the FO had to do to have a good off season, and thereby restore some optimism for this fan. Well, the FO is definitely on the right track as I can check another item off my list.

Perhaps the only "in-house" FA left to sign is Bell. We'll see what happens there. And of course there's Freddy's re-deal; but I have little doubts that will get done sometime before training camp.

They went out and took care of our single biggest need with the single best FA on the market in that area of need.

So what's left? The draft. We still need a solid WR and LB (at a minmimim); and possibly LT, depending upon the Bell situation. But I must admit that for the forst time in a long, long time... I have confidence they'll make a decent decision come draft day.

All in all, I gotta say that in my opinion, the Bills are having a great Off Season. I'm looking forward to the OTAs, just to see how Fitz is looking.

Yeah I'm slowly but surely becoming optimistic about next season. Because at this point, I think we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Go Bills!

Edited by Dan

I have an idea. Why don't you start your own thread " Why the Bills are NOT moving in the right direction." ?

well foolio look at the date I made that post, up until that time this team had a history of not signing some of their top players or spending 100 million on one free agent. But then I suppose you knew back in Feb 13th that the Bills would FINALLY spend that much...huh. You live up to your name. The ONLY man on the planet that knew the Bills were gonna spend that much money was the Bills owner.

I still ask the question, why did it take 3 years to get a pass rusher? Will the Bills finally upgrade the O line so Fitz can throw deep? Will they build a defense that can stop the run? Will they find a decent #2 WR?

There were so many questions to be answered by Nix before this thread was started. I'm happy they fixed the pass rush and signed a bunch of players that needed to be signed. But, Nix still has work to do before we see that baby.

For the record, I'm not a "Ralph is Cheap" type, nor can anyone unilaterally be described that way who understands the motivation at OBD. It's much more nuanced than being pro or anti-RW as you're attempting to portray it. Before we get all giddy, let's see how UFA opens up.

RE: the latest signings...Buffalo absolutely needed to retain SJ, if nothing else because no one else behind him is close to being a 1 or a 2 receiver. Scott Chandler is a slightly above replacement level TE who struggles to separate between the 20s, totaling less than 50 yards receiving in 11 of 14 games. Sure, someone will cite his 6 TD catches, but he also had 8 games of less than 30 yards receiving.

Two years of rebuilding and needs all over the field: WR, LT, RDE, DE depth, TE not to mention a long term answer at QB. Those just happen to be the hardest to find positions in the modern NFL. They have a long way to go and we'll see if they're all-in like Buddy makes it sound.

:thumbsup:

Fans want to pounce on anyone who had doubts about this off season, because they all knew Nix would finally do something the right way this year