Lets Talk Free Agency

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One DE I'd say can play and his signing weakens a division rival is Kendall Langford. His career trajectory has been good overall, and he is in his prime, at this point, so he could be a nice addition. Something tells me that this offseason IS going to be different than a number of others stacked up for 12 years, and the Bills will make a serious play for a top notch free agent DE and WR. If they did this, that would practically be enough, in my book, to push them into a contending position in the fall. The naysayers will obviously have a point until something of this magnitude does break our way, but I personally have a good feeling about the future under Buddy Nix, so fire away gang!!

If you think Nix and the Pro Personnel are so outstanding and Pears is a solid RT, how does it explain Nix's signing Cornell Green? I wouldn't give him that much credit with their spotty record in unrestricted free agency. Pears is on his 4th NFL team since entering the league in 2005, so he's no slam dunk starter. Pass protection is pretty easy when your QB has thrown the ball less than two seconds after the snap.

Exactly! People just don't get that. They don't realize that Fitz was the second fastest QB in the league at getting rid of the ball. He was also the most "hit" qb PER sack which means the guy was facing much more pressure than the sack total would reveal. I'm not saying the sack numbers are 100% due to Fitz getting rid of the ball accurately or not but Fitz was a VERY large and likely the single largest factor in that low sack number.

Throw in the fact that we were constantly chip blocking and double teaming with RBs and TEs and it tells you the line wasn't quite as good as we thought. Fred is a GREAT RB behind a mediocre line and CJ stepped his game up big time when he was forced in to the starting role due to Fred going on IR. Every other RB on the team had terrible numbers with the very limited opportunities they got. Our line is definitely better at run blocking than it is pass blocking but our 1-2 punch at RB was also making them look better than they were.

With Chad likely being released by the patriots in the next couple of months, would you like to see the Bills take a 1 year shot at him?

Stevie + Chad would be one the most entertaining combos in the league, assuming Chad isn't completely washed up. I say we take the chance!

With Chad likely being released by the patriots in the next couple of months, would you like to see the Bills take a 1 year shot at him?

Stevie + Chad would be one the most entertaining combos in the league, assuming Chad isn't completely washed up. I say we take the chance!

Based on the season he had, I'd say he is.

But why stop at Chad? I hear Albert Haynesworth is available too. He once signed a $100M deal so he must be awesome. Our pass rush is so bad what do we have to lose? Maybe it'll help sell some season tickets? Buddy Nix is asleep at the wheel. I'm so done with this team!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Annnnnnnnd the off-season is underway!!! :lol:

Yes, let's bring in a guy who couldn't get more than 15 catches on a NE team with a HOF QB desperate for a downfield WR threat. Oh yeah, and he's exactly the kind of guy that will help Johnson mature into a team-first player.

Based on the season he had, I'd say he is.

But why stop at Chad? I hear Albert Haynesworth is available too. He once signed a $100M deal so he must be awesome. Our pass rush is so bad what do we have to lose? Maybe it'll help sell some season tickets? Buddy Nix is asleep at the wheel. I'm so done with this team!

PTR

Don't worry, Ralph is too cheap for anything but league minimum.

Annnnnnnnd the off-season is underway!!! :lol:

Yes, let's bring in a guy who couldn't get more than 15 catches on a NE team with a HOF QB desperate for a downfield WR threat. Oh yeah, and he's exactly the kind of guy that will help Johnson mature into a team-first player.

No, no, no, you clearly do not get it! Ocho was clearly the reason Welker and the rest of them had so many catches - all the double coverages and attention Och got caused mismatches for everyone else!

Don't worry, Ralph is too cheap for anything but league minimum.

No, no, no, you clearly do not get it! Ocho was clearly the reason Welker and the rest of them had so many catches - all the double coverages and attention Och got caused mismatches for everyone else!

Post of the year! The Lee Evans effect!

^

This could be one of the worst ideas yet.

Exactly! People just don't get that. They don't realize that Fitz was the second fastest QB in the league at getting rid of the ball. He was also the most "hit" qb PER sack which means the guy was facing much more pressure than the sack total would reveal. I'm not saying the sack numbers are 100% due to Fitz getting rid of the ball accurately or not but Fitz was a VERY large and likely the single largest factor in that low sack number.

Throw in the fact that we were constantly chip blocking and double teaming with RBs and TEs and it tells you the line wasn't quite as good as we thought. Fred is a GREAT RB behind a mediocre line and CJ stepped his game up big time when he was forced in to the starting role due to Fred going on IR. Every other RB on the team had terrible numbers with the very limited opportunities they got. Our line is definitely better at run blocking than it is pass blocking but our 1-2 punch at RB was also making them look better than they were.

What people fail to get is that the FO loves Pears.........................or they wouldn't have extended him. Because if they weren't convinced he was thier RT of the next few years, they wouldn't have gave him more money, before his contract was up. Same thing as Kelsay.

What people fail to get is that the FO loves Pears.........................or they wouldn't have extended him. Because if they weren't convinced he was thier RT of the next few years, they wouldn't have gave him more money, before his contract was up. Same thing as Kelsay.

Based on this front office's track record of acquiring talent -- this is NOT something to hang your hat on if you're a fan who wants to see this team improve. They have yet to bring in an impact player (outside of the draft). Pears is great for depth, but if you're counting on him to be your every day RT then this team is in for another long year.

This offensive line was a mirage last season. Fitz's quick release and short passing scheme masked a lot of ills. Even when the line was healthy at the start of the year Fitz had very little time to throw (though, to be fair, he didn't need it because he was playing absolutely out of his mind).

This team needs a LT (keep Bell as depth, make Hairston a RT where he belongs), RG and RT. And those are just starters. They also need depth. Hairston could be the RT of the future -- but he won't get on the field if Pears is inked into the starting spot.