Lets Talk Free Agency

LT also

I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this, but I will politely disagree. I do believe Hairston is the left tackle of the future.

Hairston's detractors will point out his struggles against higher-caliber players and the fact that he was given a lot of help. Fine. I think people forget that he was a rookie, and a 4th-rounder at that. We all have seen rookie 1st-rounders struggle. It is very rare for a rookie lineman to dominate. Also, players usually make their greatest improvements between their first and seconmd years. I say give him his chance, and, after next year, he has not improved as much as he should, then we go after another starter.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this, but I will politely disagree. I do believe Hairston is the left tackle of the future.

Hairston's detractors will point out his struggles against higher-caliber players and the fact that he was given a lot of help. Fine. I think people forget that he was a rookie, and a 4th-rounder at that. We all have seen rookie 1st-rounders struggle. It is very rare for a rookie lineman to dominate. Also, players usually make their greatest improvements between their first and seconmd years. I say give him his chance, and, after next year, he has not improved as much as he should, then we go after another starter.

Hairston's a RT. If he's the LT of the future there is no future.

Fitz is fine as the starter for this year if needs be, but this team has to find an elite talent at QB at some point. If that means trading up in the draft -- do it. The people that say "missing on a QB in the first round sets you back 3 years!" are crazy people. This team has nowhere to go but up. If they trade up and miss on a QB they won't be any worse than they've been for over a decade.

You're right....they ARE crazy...missing on a first round QB sets you back FOUR YEARS!!!!!

And just why is he a RT, and not a LT?

He's never played well against top flight pass rushers (even in college). He doesn't move well enough (thin legs, doesn't bend his hips to deliver a pop while shuffling) to be anything more than a backup caliber LT. But on the right side, his ability to get to the second level and block LBs gives him a chance to be a good to very good RT.

Much higher ceiling when Hairston plays on the right side than on the left. The entire line last year was a mirage. If you think we're set at LT (or RT, RG) then you're in for a surprise.

You're right....they ARE crazy...missing on a first round QB sets you back FOUR YEARS!!!!!

Even if that's true (and it's not), look at where the Bills are. What's "setting them back" mean? Not making the playoffs? They're doing that already. This team has been TERRIBLE for 12 years. There is no where else to go but up. They cannot go lower, even if they make a move for a QB and miss.

Seriously, what's worse than how the Bills have looked for 12+ years? They either finish middle of the pack (and out of the playoffs) or at the bottom of the barrel. You want to change that? This team needs to get a real QB in here at some point.

Again, not saying they should give up everything to get RG3 (I haven't watched him enough to know if he's any good) -- but at some point, in one of the next 3 drafts, the Bills HAVE to find a way to get an elite QB prospect in camp. They just do.

This is a FREE AGENTS DONT WANT TO COME to BUFFALO entry.

With 2 serious questions, because i'm too lazy to look it up. But I think the answer will be telling.

1) When was the last time a Free Agent (not a released bum off the street or an undrafted guy on the day after the draft) who had other options actually CHOSE buffalo over another team? (Takeo? Peerless? Flutie?)

2) When was the last time the Bills won (or even entered) a bidding war for a free agent? (instead of bidding against themselves like Dockery et. al.)

I have a friend, also a life-long bills fan, who claims that all we have to do is pay, and that admittedly buffalo is "not that attractive" comnpared to other teams. I say buffalo is not "not that attractive," but rather UNATTRACTIVE. Nobody wants to come here if he has other options.

Hope you guys can give me some answers for 1 or 2. And I think that until we have a real real quarterback, nobody will come here.

This is a FREE AGENTS DONT WANT TO COME to BUFFALO entry.

With 2 serious questions, because i'm too lazy to look it up. But I think the answer will be telling.

1) When was the last time a Free Agent (not a released bum off the street or an undrafted guy on the day after the draft) who had other options actually CHOSE buffalo over another team? (Takeo? Peerless? Flutie?)

2) When was the last time the Bills won (or even entered) a bidding war for a free agent? (instead of bidding against themselves like Dockery et. al.)

I have a friend, also a life-long bills fan, who claims that all we have to do is pay, and that admittedly buffalo is "not that attractive" comnpared to other teams. I say buffalo is not "not that attractive," but rather UNATTRACTIVE. Nobody wants to come here if he has other options.

Hope you guys can give me some answers for 1 or 2. And I think that until we have a real real quarterback, nobody will come here.

You're mixing up your argument. Free Agents don't hate Buffalo -- they just don't think they can win here. It's that simple. This team refuses to pay it's OWN players (look at the long list of players they let walk and players they have screwed over ... COUGH Fred) let alone paying Free Agents. Players talk, they know how dysfunctional the Buffalo front office is.

Players don't come here because this team has shown zero commitment to winning. They have no plan (or at best they change plans every other year), they have a revolving door with their OWN players. They have no idea what it takes to field a competitive team in the modern NFL.

That's why players don't come here.

Even if that's true (and it's not), look at where the Bills are. What's "setting them back" mean? Not making the playoffs? They're doing that already. This team has been TERRIBLE for 12 years. There is no where else to go but up. They cannot go lower, even if they make a move for a QB and miss.

Seriously, what's worse than how the Bills have looked for 12+ years? They either finish middle of the pack (and out of the playoffs) or at the bottom of the barrel. You want to change that? This team needs to get a real QB in here at some point.

Again, not saying they should give up everything to get RG3 (I haven't watched him enough to know if he's any good) -- but at some point, in one of the next 3 drafts, the Bills HAVE to find a way to get an elite QB prospect in camp. They just do.

We have seen flashes of what we have at QB when healthy. Do you really think that Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning or Aaron Rogers could come in here and make Buffalo relevant with what scraps we were left with by mid season? If you do those aren't shitake mushrooms you're eating!

A rather obvious and more mature way to look at building a good team as opposed to stepping back is acquiring talent. We lack it EVERYWHERE! In particular we need to build a good defense or a defense that is capable of playing well in the play offs if we want to win a super bowl. Start doing that and we will see a steadily improving product on the field.

If we can somehow stay healthy for the first time in about 5 years we would see a rather dramatic jump in production kind of like we did at the beginning of the year when everyone including Fitz was healthy. Fitz was the leading passer in the league and the Bills had the best record in the league. It is simply mind boggling that people forgot how well we started out until the wheels flew off and the injuries started to mount. They are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water and take a lottery mentality on finding some savior messiah at 1 single position on the field. Pipe dreams!

Edited by PDaDdy

Will the collective "FAs won't come to Buffalo" crowd answer this question for me?

We just watched two teams compete valliantly in the Superbowl. Please name 1 big-name free agent acquisition that had an impact on last night's game, for either team....go ahead, I'm waiting.

Now name the draft choices that had an impact.

Sorry for the thread-jack, back to the topic at hand...

Sign Garcon and a pass rusher, then spend the draft picking front seven players and offensive linemen and I'm happy.

You're mixing up your argument. Free Agents don't hate Buffalo -- they just don't think they can win here. It's that simple. This team refuses to pay it's OWN players (look at the long list of players they let walk and players they have screwed over ... COUGH Fred) let alone paying Free Agents. Players talk, they know how dysfunctional the Buffalo front office is.

Players don't come here because this team has shown zero commitment to winning. They have no plan (or at best they change plans every other year), they have a revolving door with their OWN players. They have no idea what it takes to field a competitive team in the modern NFL.

You mean because of things like not supporting our QB for longer than the first 6 weeks of the season when he was the #1 QB in the league before too many starters got hurt exposing our lack of depth? Kind of speaks to the revolving door of players and a plan that changes every couple years doesn't it? Listen to your own words and try supporting a guy that is better than good enough instead of calling for his replacement before he has much of any talent around him.

There is that and the fact that any of our players that develop into probowlers won't get paid. Well....with the exception of KW and Aaron Schobel that is.

Nix said Fred will be paid b4 the season starts... This is the first promise to a player he's made public so let's wait and see if he's a man of his word or not... Til then let's stop this whole disrespecting Fred by not paying him thing...

We have seen flashes of what we have at QB when healthy. Do you really think that Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning or Aaron Rogers could come in here and make Buffalo relevant with what scraps we were left with by mid season? If you do those aren't shitake mushrooms you're eating!

A rather obvious and more mature way to look at building a good team as opposed to stepping back is acquiring talent. We lack it EVERYWHERE! In particular we need to build a good defense or a defense that is capable of playing well in the play offs if we want to win a super bowl. Start doing that and we will see a steadily improving product on the field.

If we can somehow stay healthy for the first time in about 5 years we would see a rather dramatic jump in production kind of like we did at the beginning of the year when everyone including Fitz was healthy. Fitz was the leading passer in the league and the Bills had the best record in the league. It is simply mind boggling that people forgot how well we started out until the wheels flew off and the injuries started to mount. They are ready to throw out the baby with the bath water and take a lottery mentality on finding some savior messiah at 1 single position on the field. Pipe dreams!

When did the Bills have the best record in the league?

When we were 1-0, 2-0, or 3-0?

Ok, IMO, we need to draft Coples, Upshaw, or Curry at pick 10 whoever is the ebst available at that slot.

In the meantime we have other needs. In no particualr order these are the guys in each position we have a chance at.

QB - Not that we need one, but Thigpen wasn't very exciting in the time we saw him.

So, Chad Henne could be signed fairly cheap, IMO, so too could Charlie Batch from Pit.

WR - Need at least one more, maybe two.

Resign SJ, and add Roy Williams (might break out and is low risk). There are a whole host of WR's out there and there would be no excuse if the Bills FO don't grab at least one of them. I look at Williams not because he would be my first pick, but he would come cheap, IMO and Buffalo will give him his one last shot to make it in the NFL.

TE - Do we resign Vhandler, or do we go all in for Finley, or Olson?

OL - Unlike a lot here, I think we can add one or two in the draft. This is not as big a need as it was last year.

DE - We need at least one beast in FA, and if we add one in our frist selection in the draft all the better. I'd like to see any one of the following three. Mario Williams, Robert Mathis, Or Abraham.

LB - Let's face it we need them. I think this can be addressed in the draft but if one were to present in FA then I'd like to see Anthony Spencer added. Again, my goal here is to list guys we have a shot at getting not what I'd love to see..

CB - We're ok here especially if we can build the front 4 and or front 7 the way we want, but if I were looking to add someone it'd be Carlos Rodgers from SF. I thought he really came into his own this year. Will be big money to get him, but if not Finnigan will add attitude to our secondary. Rashean Mathis would be another good fit, IMO.

Since we signed Lindell back (good move by the way) we are all set in the kicking game.

All other needs can be found in the draft.

What say you?

Tim-

Nix said Fred will be paid b4 the season starts... This is the first promise to a player he's made public so let's wait and see if he's a man of his word or not... Til then let's stop this whole disrespecting Fred by not paying him thing...

When did the Bills have the best record in the league?

When we were 1-0, 2-0, or 3-0?

You answered your own question. Not sure why you even asked it. We led the AFC East for even longer than that by virtue or our tie breaker over New England. How about addressing any of the other points I made instead of asking questions that contain the answer you are looking for and prove nothing? lol.

I love how internet forum posters gloss over 95% of the meat of a post that has relevant and insightful comment and try to nit pick, unsuccessfully, a minor point. Priceless.

You answered your own question. Not sure why you even asked it. We led the AFC East for even longer than that by virtue or our tie breaker over New England. How about addressing any of the other points I made instead of asking questions that contain the answer you are looking for and prove nothing? lol.

I love how internet forum posters gloss over 95% of the meat of a post that has relevant and insightful comment and try to nit pick, unsuccessfully, a minor point. Priceless.

So being tied with the packers and lions means we had the best record?

I only like meat twice a week... Today I'm having nit pick for lunch...

"we're building through the draft".

More like re-arranging the deck chairs. That 2010 group isn't looking all that good, especially considering their first 3 picks are backups entering their third NFL seasons. I remember Buddy talking about "stacking players on top of players" and they accomplished that. They just didn't find starters.

At some point the team will run out of excuses and building through the draft mantra ain't cutting it anymore. Buddy's draft acumen isn't enough to get this team anywhere near the top of the mountain. Sure, 2011 picks look better, but to build through the draft you've got to get about 3 above average starters a year for 3-4 years. Buddy's 1 for 2 in that department at best right now.

You mean because of things like not supporting our QB for longer than the first 6 weeks of the season when he was the #1 QB in the league before too many starters got hurt exposing our lack of depth? Kind of speaks to the revolving door of players and a plan that changes every couple years doesn't it? Listen to your own words and try supporting a guy that is better than good enough instead of calling for his replacement before he has much of any talent around him.

There is that and the fact that any of our players that develop into probowlers won't get paid. Well....with the exception of KW and Aaron Schobel that is.

You're jumping on me for the wrong thing ...

I've been consistent in my stance that Fitz is NOT the problem. And, I'm fine with him being the starting QB for 2012. My problems with Fitz is that he constantly comes up small when the game is on the line. He's done that multiple times over the years. He's an average QB -- at best he's above average. But he's incapable of leading a team to a championship UNLESS the rest of the team around him is perfect.

Since my goal is to see the Bills win the Super Bowl, I don't consider anything but winning the Lombardi a successful season. For that reason, Fitz needs to be replaced ... EVENTUALLY.

This team needs talent, you're 1000% correct there. Fitz is capable of leading this team for a year or two as they build up the roster. That's fantastic. But let's be honest, this team is 2 off seasons away from having enough talent on its roster to match up with the best in the NFL. Outside of the RB position and DT position, there's little actual talent on this roster. Based on how this team has operated for the past 15 years ... there's little hope that they are going to be able to do much more than shuffle around what little talent they have.

Fitz is the QB for 2012. That's fine and how it should be. But you HAVE to get a QB when you can. Even at the expense of draft picks. QB is the most important position in all of sports. And right now the Bills have a middle of the road guy who's not a young buck. It took Eli time. It took Brees time. The Bills need to find their QB of the future in the next 2 drafts. Someway somehow. That way, they can learn behind Fitz.

He's never played well against top flight pass rushers (even in college). He doesn't move well enough (thin legs, doesn't bend his hips to deliver a pop while shuffling) to be anything more than a backup caliber LT. But on the right side, his ability to get to the second level and block LBs gives him a chance to be a good to very good RT.

Much higher ceiling when Hairston plays on the right side than on the left. The entire line last year was a mirage. If you think we're set at LT (or RT, RG) then you're in for a surprise.

Isn't that what coaching is for? Now, I have seen a number of mock drafts having the Bills taking a OT in round 1. I also remember Chan Gailey stating we need to get bigger and stronger in the OL. Those highly ranked tackles don't exactly fit that description.

Wouldn't it make sense to play him where he belongs at right tackle? Then we would actually be building a team instead of plugging holes. Or is Pears now a dominant right tackle?

I know we have Stevie Johnson that we still need to sign and i want that to be the Bills first priority when it comes to their own FA's. However, wouldn't Welker be a great #2WR with Johnson? Fitz loves to throw underneath, so it works with his "style" . I don't see NE franchising him. Pricewill be high, but not crazy. If he's available, the Bills should definitely go after him.