Lets Talk Free Agency

So being tied with the packers and lions means we had the best record?

I only like meat twice a week... Today I'm having nit pick for lunch...

Again you already know the answer. Think real hard and it will come to you. If no one has a better record then...... :rolleyes:

You're jumping on me for the wrong thing ...

I've been consistent in my stance that Fitz is NOT the problem. And, I'm fine with him being the starting QB for 2012. My problems with Fitz is that he constantly comes up small when the game is on the line. He's done that multiple times over the years. He's an average QB -- at best he's above average. But he's incapable of leading a team to a championship UNLESS the rest of the team around him is perfect.

Since my goal is to see the Bills win the Super Bowl, I don't consider anything but winning the Lombardi a successful season. For that reason, Fitz needs to be replaced ... EVENTUALLY.

This team needs talent, you're 1000% correct there. Fitz is capable of leading this team for a year or two as they build up the roster. That's fantastic. But let's be honest, this team is 2 off seasons away from having enough talent on its roster to match up with the best in the NFL. Outside of the RB position and DT position, there's little actual talent on this roster. Based on how this team has operated for the past 15 years ... there's little hope that they are going to be able to do much more than shuffle around what little talent they have.

Fitz is the QB for 2012. That's fine and how it should be. But you HAVE to get a QB when you can. Even at the expense of draft picks. QB is the most important position in all of sports. And right now the Bills have a middle of the road guy who's not a young buck. It took Eli time. It took Brees time. The Bills need to find their QB of the future in the next 2 drafts. Someway somehow. That way, they can learn behind Fitz.

I respectfully disagree that Fitz comes up small in big games. He had a number of great comebacks when we were rolling. Hell he even put it in the hands of a couple guys in the endzone and they dropped it. NEVER waste draft picks to gamble.

You will see that Fitz in this system is MUCH better than average. His stats now are already better than average by a smidgen. Wait until we give him another target or two. Get some better players on offensive line or significantly improve a few of the existing players. Get us a defense so we don't have to play in panic come from behind mode in the first half and you will see how good we can be with Fitz . The beginning of this season is what I expect to see on a consistent basis when guys are healthy and we get more talent.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how the Welker thing plays out. He'll be looking for a huge (and probably last) payday, but he'll be 31 come May. Will the Pats want to give him that much money? Do they franchise him and let him play for a year?

Edited by Doc

I don't see the Patsies paying for a WR on the wrong side of 30...but Welker is their go-to guy besides Gronkowski. Randy Moss was getting long in the tooth playing for NE.

I think this might be similar to what we see all of NE's free agency situations become...if the player truly wants to stay, then they'll sacrifice dollars to remain.

But if Welker gets an inflated sense of value of his skills, then I don't see the Pats entering into a bidding war for him.

Wouldn't it make sense to play him where he belongs at right tackle? Then we would actually be building a team instead of plugging holes. Or is Pears now a dominant right tackle?

He is a nasty player. He is going to improve as soon as we stop rotating players on the front. The trick to an offensive line being successful is not a dominate tackle or center. it s a group that knows what every other guy is doing every play.

We would be much better with the guys we have if we could keep same five up there for most of a season. This will of course improve our running, and passing game. I like Pears. I still question left tackle position. Go ahead and draft one in the first and let Bell and Hairston compete. at least we will have some good depth for awhile.

when evaluating Pears or any one else you still have to look at sacks and run yardage. we did very very well on those points even after being decimated on the o line. pretty amazing efforts really.

It will be interesting to see how the Welker thing plays out. He'll be looking for a huge (and probably last) payday, but he'll be 31 come May. Will the Pats want to give him that much money? Do they franchise him and let him play for a year?

+1 franchise tag is damn near automatic.

He is a nasty player. He is going to improve as soon as we stop rotating players on the front. The trick to an offensive line being successful is not a dominate tackle or center. it s a group that knows what every other guy is doing every play.

We would be much better with the guys we have if we could keep same five up there for most of a season. This will of course improve our running, and passing game. I like Pears. I still question left tackle position. Go ahead and draft one in the first and let Bell and Hairston compete. at least we will have some good depth for awhile.

when evaluating Pears or any one else you still have to look at sacks and run yardage. we did very very well on those points even after being decimated on the o line. pretty amazing efforts really.

I cannot agree with everything you say. Look Fitz unloads at around the 2 second mark, primarily because he has too. So your remark on sacks would be true. The guy can sense the heat and unload. Bell while serviceable again doesn't hold off bull rushers, Blitzes etc. long enough for a deep route to mature, that's when he isn't on IR. I know guys that can do that are not easy too find. I will agree that Pears and Hairston make for great depth. Hairston could develop into a very good right tackle. Bell would be a good situational tackle. We have invested years in him.

When Buddy Nix himself says he might take a tackle then that is something for the Bills to admit IMO. That is saying we don't have what we need on the roster at the tackle positions. I don't disagree given Gailey's passing philosophy, what he had to work with at wide receiver, and a quarterback who can just as easily throw the ball in the dirt as make a 10 yard completion (often known as "streaky") that the O-Line didn't do a good job last season in regards to pass protection in the short passing game. And, our run blocking was very, very good at times. But O-Line stats don't tell the whole story for pass blocking. We sucked at the tackles! Again it's my opinion. Plus not having any speed at all at the receiver position didn't help. We need a legitimate stud at left tackle which is arguably the second most important position on offense. Also, like you mention we need some stability on the O-line. Fitz needs all the help he can get, the guy is just not the type of quarterback that can win games by himself. Maybe Nix/Gailey have figured that out.

Edited by Best Player Available

Wouldn't it make sense to play him where he belongs at right tackle? Then we would actually be building a team instead of plugging holes. Or is Pears now a dominant right tackle?

I never said Pears was a dominant RT. I'm also looking at this from a salary standpoint. We need a DE, a SLB, a WR, and maybe a TE if we don't re-sign Chandler. We need to tender Urbik and Rinehart. We need to resign Scott. Jackson needs a contract extension. Johnson needs a new contract. With all these needs, a dominant tackle in FA is probably out of the question. So, let's turn to the draft. Chan Gailey likes bigger, stronger offensive lineman. Do Reiff and Martin fit that bill?

I never said Pears was a dominant RT. I'm also looking at this from a salary standpoint. We need a DE, a SLB, a WR, and maybe a TE if we don't re-sign Chandler. We need to tender Urbik and Rinehart. We need to resign Scott. Jackson needs a contract extension. Johnson needs a new contract. With all these needs, a dominant tackle in FA is probably out of the question. So, let's turn to the draft. Chan Gailey likes bigger, stronger offensive lineman. Do Reiff and Martin fit that bill?

Sorry the Pears comment wasn't aimed at your post. I just don't think the guy should be our starter. Depth player for sure. Hairston should be on the right side and stay there.

I agree about drafting a left tackle

Urbik and reinhart are restricted so we do get a break. Urbik should be locked up long term for sure. Freds situation will show us if Nix is a man who's word can be trusted. Chandler while good in the red zone isn't strong as a blocker. With few TE's hitting free agency i could see Chandler getting a big bump in salary. I don't see the bills breaking the bank for him. SJ13 should be resigned. If not they better replace him with an upgrade. The receivers on this team are pathetic. Can Easley make it in the NFL after 2 years on IR? I don't know.

I hope we can get a top DE or even a SLB in free agency and take some pressure off in the early rounds of the draft. I doubt M. Williams would even consider the bills unless we throw Haynewworth crazy money at him. We know that won't happen.

I don't know much about Reiff or Martin to make a guess on them. I see bigger needs in round one than one of them. Maybe the combine will show us more on them.

I don't see the Patsies paying for a WR on the wrong side of 30...but Welker is their go-to guy besides Gronkowski. Randy Moss was getting long in the tooth playing for NE.

I think this might be similar to what we see all of NE's free agency situations become...if the player truly wants to stay, then they'll sacrifice dollars to remain.

But if Welker gets an inflated sense of value of his skills, then I don't see the Pats entering into a bidding war for him.

So many wideouts available this year it's stupid. Call me crazy but I think they'd make a play at VJax potentially instead. Welker is good at timing and accuracy based schemes. Welker can't stretch the field, doesnt steal catches. He's exploded as a guy that's in the system that fits him perfect with a hugely accurate qb. We don't have that accurate qb. I think he'd be a bad fit here. I think between his limitations, age, acl injury and some of his emerging personality (Rex joke/benching, the bb gf comments) - the pats do not hold him long term. Maybe a tag situation but i don't see the big longterm deal.

If you think Nix and the Pro Personnel are so outstanding and Pears is a solid RT, how does it explain Nix's signing Cornell Green? I wouldn't give him that much credit with their spotty record in unrestricted free agency. Pears is on his 4th NFL team since entering the league in 2005, so he's no slam dunk starter. Pass protection is pretty easy when your QB has thrown the ball less than two seconds after the snap.

If you think Nix and the Pro Personnel are so outstanding and Pears is a solid RT, how does it explain Nix's signing Cornell Green? I wouldn't give him that much credit with their spotty record in unrestricted free agency. Pears is on his 4th NFL team since entering the league in 2005, so he's no slam dunk starter. Pass protection is pretty easy when your QB has thrown the ball less than two seconds after the snap.

Refresh my memory - what were the other options when green signed? I dont recall totally. I thought he was a "we don't have anyone so we may as well take a shot" signing - not a "this is our guy" one. A last desperate grab for a body not a targeted guy. Like I said, I really don't remember details on it though

Maybe a contract that pays less than 3 mil er year is big in your book. But in the NFL its not Big.

Whats up with the name calling?

And again,it's more than our first round draft pick will make this year, and also twice as much as the average salary for an NFL offensive tackle, which is 1.27 million.

Absolutely CRAZY. The Bills Line is HORRIBLE. Outside of Wood and Levitre there isn't a single player on the roster who should be starting in the NFL.

The Bills may attempt to work out long-term agreements with restricted free agent guards Chad Rinehart and Kraig Urbik.

Both are expected to be tendered qualifying offers, but it would make sense for the Bills to lock them up heading into their age-27 seasons. Urbik was Buffalo's starting right guard in 2011, while Rinehart served in a swing role. Both graded out as top-20 guards by Pro Football Focus.

Per rotoworld.