Lets Talk Free Agency

Alright so now that the Super Bowl is finished, what are realistic targets that we could sign and could have a positive impact on our team for the upcoming season.

QB: Unfortunately I just don't think this is the year to upgrade at qb. Not that I don't want too but just the fact that I don't see anything that is right now better then fitz. If we can't get RG3 in the draft I say screw it.

WR:Besides the usually discussed VIncent Jackson, Dwayne Bowes. What about Manningham, he wasn't healthy all this season but has been a starter the 2 years prior. Knowing how the bills will want something cheap, I think this could be a pretty decent bargain and could get us a true number 2 (as long as we keep stevie). Sure you could argue that Stevie isn't a true number one to being with but its better then we have now.

Other options:Marques Colston/Brandon Lloyd.

T.E: Even though I think the need for a do it all T.E is bigger then ever, the crop just doesn't look to good this offseason/draft. I think you resign chandler and cut your losses.

Other options: Fred Davis, I know he got busted for marijuana and was suspended for the last 4 games, but for a 1 year relatively cheap deal he could have huge upside for us. Just look at his numbers in 12 games this season. He blows stevie out of the water.

OL: Im one to think that although it would be nice to improve, its not a necessity its more a luxury at this point. That being said, having quality depth especially on the tackles is crucial. I would be interested in signing Bell back and maybe a durable backup from another team. For guards, I think resigning Rinehart and Urbik will be sufficient as long as Wood can stay healthy.

DL: We just need pure pash rush. If we could somehow get ahold of Mario Williams or even Mathis I would be estatic. After that the class looks pretty weak. I want to address this high in the draft regardless anyway.

LB: Need help and depth outside for sure. May address in the draft but we at least need to grab one in F.A. There isn't a lot of 4-3 outside backers. Manny Lawson would be a solid pickup, I don't know much about the others just because I don't feel like checking if there 4-3/3-4 I just know he can play both and covers well.

DB: I think we hold tight at safety, maybe a late draft pick but thats it. Corner we need some god damn help. I hope Williams gets better this year but I don't really know. Mcgee is on his last legs and Florence looked like a real ass a lot of last year. Mckelvin has all the talent in the world but no brain. The big get here would be carlos rogers, I don't think we will pony up just because for some reason and myself included, everyone thinks that one of our corners is magically going to show up this year and be a darrelle revis which just isn't happening. (Maybe address in draft as well).

thats my list, I don't think its really unrealistic thats why the people I put up there were realistic. If we went after an approach somewhat like this we could give a chance for fitz to at least succeed. Also I think what could help our corners is magically having a pass rush for once. The giants rattled brady all night with just a 4 man, it can do wonders.

Edited by letsgobills46

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all about Pass Rush. That, in my opinion, fixes so many problems with our defense. I believe that KW and MD in the middle of the 4 man front D-Line will be able to significantly upgrade our run D. I like Sheppard in the Middle, and I like Barnett on the Weak Side. I think we need to figure out if the combination of Moats, White, Batten, and Merriman can be serviceable at the Strong Side LB. I would be shocked if the Bills didn't grab the best 43 DE at 10th in April. I would be shocked if one our 2nd or 3rd round picks is not a CB. I think that McGee is done, which is sad because he is a good player, but he just can't do it anymore. I think Williams is going to be a terrific player. I think we need Rogers, McKelvin, and Florence to have some real competition with a rookie who will challenge to be on the field. Additionally, if we are going to pick a corner in round 2 or 3, then whichever one don't had better be a speedy WR. I don't care if the guy can catch or not, we just need to stretch the field. He'll catch some of them. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

Good list. Here is my take (for what little it's worth).

QB: Unfortunately I just don't think this is the year to upgrade at qb. Not that I don't want too but just the fact that I don't see anything that is right now better then fitz. If we can't get RG3 in the draft I say screw it.

Fitz is fine as the starter for this year if needs be, but this team has to find an elite talent at QB at some point. If that means trading up in the draft -- do it. The people that say "missing on a QB in the first round sets you back 3 years!" are crazy people. This team has nowhere to go but up. If they trade up and miss on a QB they won't be any worse than they've been for over a decade.

At some point, they have to take a shot. But, I agree with you, this year is probably not the spot for it.

WR:Besides the usually discussed VIncent Jackson, Dwayne Bowes. What about Manningham, he wasn't healthy all this season but has been a starter the 2 years prior. Knowing how the bills will want something cheap, I think this could be a pretty decent bargain and could get us a true number 2 (as long as we keep stevie). Sure you could argue that Stevie isn't a true number one to being with but its better then we have now.

The Bills right now have a #2 WR (Stevie) and a bunch of #3s and #4s. They have absolutely no talent at WR outside of Johnson and Nelson (and Nelson is limited). They need to upgrade WR with not one but TWO pickups. I'd love to see JB on the Bills roster -- but he won't slip far enough in the draft. I'd love to see Jackson and Bowe but that's a long shot.

Here's what I see happening. The Bills will make a splash in FA this year at ONE position. Just enough to get people's hopes up. WR is the position that makes the most sense for this based on how many WRs are set to hit the market. I fully expect them to make a hard push for one of the big FAs ... and it's the right move.

T.E: Even though I think the need for a do it all T.E is bigger then ever, the crop just doesn't look to good this offseason/draft. I think you resign chandler and cut your losses.

Other options: Fred Davis, I know he got busted for marijuana and was suspended for the last 4 games, but for a 1 year relatively cheap deal he could have huge upside for us. Just look at his numbers in 12 games this season. He blows stevie out of the water.

TE won't be upgraded much. Chan has no interest in it from what he says. I'm willing to give Chandler another year in the system. You can't get it all done in one year, and TE is a logical choice to ignore this off season when there are so many other needs.

OL: Im one to think that although it would be nice to improve, its not a necessity its more a luxury at this point. That being said, having quality depth especially on the tackles is crucial. I would be interested in signing Bell back and maybe a durable backup from another team. For guards, I think resigning Rinehart and Urbik will be sufficient as long as Wood can stay healthy.

Absolutely CRAZY. The Bills Line is HORRIBLE. Outside of Wood and Levitre there isn't a single player on the roster who should be starting in the NFL. Fitz's quick trigger and short passing game is what made the line look good. Bell is an injury risk, Hariston is a good backup. Pears is awful. They have no depth.

The fact that fans here think the O-Line is fine is shocking. Anyone who really watched them play knows this unit is one of the worst, least talented units on the roster -- and that's saying a lot considering how bad the LB, WR and DB corps are.

O-Line NEEDS to be a priority in the draft AND FA.

DL: We just need pure pash rush. If we could somehow get ahold of Mario Williams or even Mathis I would be estatic. After that the class looks pretty weak. I want to address this high in the draft regardless anyway.

The Bills will only make a splash in FA at one position. My money is on WR (since it's easier to sell that move to the fans). But if it's not WR then DE would make sense. Still, I don't see it happening. There won't be a FA DE added to the roster (at least starting caliber). I feel they will try to address this in the draft.

LB: Need help and depth outside for sure. May address in the draft but we at least need to grab one in F.A. There isn't a lot of 4-3 outside backers. Manny Lawson would be a solid pickup, I don't know much about the others just because I don't feel like checking if there 4-3/3-4 I just know he can play both and covers well.

For the past 4 years and counting the Bills have had the worst LB corps in the entire NFL. Who would have thought I would have missed Keith Ellison this year? (Shudders). Now with the switch to the 4-3, this unit is even worse. Shep in the middle is going to take awhile to gel (but I like the flashes I saw from him), Barnett on the outside will work but outside of that, this team has no LB on its roster who would start on a D2 team. Yeah. They're THAT bad.

This should be the position where the Bills focus on. It should have been a position they focused on for the last decade. But they haven't and if they don't take a LB in the first round, I don't expect them to upgrade this unit much at all.

DB: I think we hold tight at safety, maybe a late draft pick but thats it. Corner we need some god damn help. I hope Williams gets better this year but I don't really know. Mcgee is on his last legs and Florence looked like a real ass a lot of last year. Mckelvin has all the talent in the world but no brain. The big get here would be carlos rogers, I don't think we will pony up just because for some reason and myself included, everyone thinks that one of our corners is magically going to show up this year and be a darrelle revis which just isn't happening. (Maybe address in draft as well).

Williams is going to be good. The kid was impressive as a rookie when he was healthy. Raw, but talented. Outside of Williams, Byrd and the Senator, the defensive backfield is a joke. TM is a warrior, but injuries have caught up to him. A DB picked in the first round wouldn't be a surprise -- and would help. I would LOVE to see a big FA signing like Rogers but I don't see it happening.

The Bills may attempt to work out long-term agreements with restricted free agent guards Chad Rinehart and Kraig Urbik.

Both are expected to be tendered qualifying offers, but it would make sense for the Bills to lock them up heading into their age-27 seasons. Urbik was Buffalo's starting right guard in 2011, while Rinehart served in a swing role. Both graded out as top-20 guards by Pro Football Focus.

Per rotoworld.

Edited by letsgobills46

The only way buffalo can go about attacking free agency is to look at mid-tier free agents and this may not be a bad thing. Unfortunately with the state of the team and the city the only way we will be able to attract top free agents is to become a better team in the future and then maybe it will be easier bc players really only want one thing and that is to win the superbowl. But looking right now the only thing we can do is sign fill in starters at places of need. The strategy is to draft your superstars(seems to be harder than it sounds) and sign those fill in starters so that there is stability and depth at all positions. It may not be the best way to build a winner but it is the only way for our team so lets hope for better signings and better play in 2012!

Alright so now that the Super Bowl is finished, what are realistic targets that we could sign and could have a positive impact on our team for the upcoming season.

thats my list, I don't think its really unrealistic thats why the people I put up there were realistic. If we went after an approach somewhat like this we could give a chance for fitz to at least succeed. Also I think what could help our corners is magically having a pass rush for once. The giants rattled brady all night with just a 4 man, it can do wonders.

I like your list. But I would put Dennis Dixon in as a QB FA pickup. He should be cheap, and wants to go to a place he has a chance to start. I think he could push Fitz in preseason and perhaps end up the starter. Long term solution: perhaps not. But perhaps so. I really have nothing to base this opinion on other than watching him a few times for the Steelers and when he was in college. At the very least, he is much better than Thigpen.

Buddy Nix's strategy is to be asleep in bed when the clock strikes midnight and free agency begins. :(

Agree with your approach however. Nobody wants to play for the Bills unless the Bills outbid another team. Win and they will come. Still, it would give me some hope that the Bills are committed to winning if they sign a top tier free agent.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

Buddy Nix's strategy is to be asleep in bed when the clock strikes midnight and free agency begins. :(

Agree with your approach however. Nobody wants to play for the Bills unless the Bills outbid another team. Win and they will come. Still, it would give me some hope that the Bills are committed to winning if they sign a top tier free agent.

That joke might be funny if a) it hadn't been used 4 million times already, and b) free agency starts at 4pm, not midnight.

Buddy Nix gets a grade B- in my book...

2010's draft class got us Spiller, Carrington and Moats as future contributors and the losers of that draft were Troup (never healthy), Calloway, Levi Brown, Wang, Batten and Easley (never healthy)...

2011's draft class got us Dareus (beast), Aaron Williams (will be a star), Sheppard (this year will be his year to shine), Searcy (a better tackler than Whitner), Hairston (quality backup) and Justin Rogers (kick returner and possible starter at CB in the future)... The losers of the '11 draft class were Johnny White, Chris White and Jasper...

If we draft this year the way we did last year then Buddy's B- grade will easily become an A-......

Signing a top-tier free agent may impact our ability to fill all of our needs. We need a DE, and SLB, a WR, and possibly a TE.

Edited by jjmac

I think we need to know if the Bills re-sign Stevie, Bell, and Chandler before any speculation can take place...

Just my opinion...But I think the status of those 3 Bills UFA's will have the biggest impact on what they will do in Free Agency and the Draft... B-)

Sadly, this organization is not bright enough to understand how to win in the NFL.

As a fan, I want this team to succeed! But, based on results, I'm expecting another lull free agency period with a sprinkle of project players being selected via draft.

I hope this organization proves me wrong!

Go Bills!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I like your list. But I would put Dennis Dixon in as a QB FA pickup. He should be cheap, and wants to go to a place he has a chance to start. I think he could push Fitz in preseason and perhaps end up the starter. Long term solution: perhaps not. But perhaps so. I really have nothing to base this opinion on other than watching him a few times for the Steelers and when he was in college. At the very least, he is much better than Thigpen.

An upgrade over thigpen would be nice. The current management still thinks they have their guy in Fitz. Maybe they are correct. Thigpen is here by design. He sucks and presents no challenge whatsoever. Gailey doesn't want anyone scratching at Fits job yet and wounding his fragile confidence. Maybe 2013 will be different. Besides Dixon will want more than what we pay thigpen and will have some interested teams that may see him as an immediate starter. A mid round well researched draft pick may be the best move the Bills will make in the quarterback dept. Nothing wrong with that if they get someone who can play.

I think that while buddy does believe in building through the draft, he has talked much more about getting f.a this offseason, especially when it comes to wide receivers and d.e. Just look at the post on bb.com today.

Sure, cause a splash at WR is the easiest way to sell tickets. It's a need too -- but they're only going to make one big FA signing (if at all). This team has no intention of bringing in more than one impact free agent. They just won't do it.