Paterno near death...

The Poojer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He turned his back on children who needed help just so his beloved "program" can go on uninterupted.

!@#$ him.

Unfortunately, I kind of feel the same way. Here was a man that we were all led to believe was above the corruption & politics of College Football. Yet, under his watch, a terrible crime was committed & what was worse is he failed to take the appropriate actions to make sure it never happened again. & for what, so he could protect his beloved University. I have a 2 year old daughter & a 7 year old son. Matt Millen said it best on Sports Center that if we can not protect our children as a society we are pathetic. & that is what Penn State is & that is what Joe paterno, pathetic. F*ck him & F*ck Penn State. I hope he takes the guilt with him to his grave.

Actions are what defines our lives, and in the biggest moment, when all the chips were on the table, joepa came up oh so small. Joepa proved that for all the legend, all the glory, all the hype, that ultimately, he was nothing more than a coward and a scumbag. Its tough to argue that the world is NOT a better place with another child-raping enabler planted in the ground.

Interesting. You mourn for the loss of a guy who knowingly allowed his buddy to butt-rape little kids for years and you find that this somehow gives you moral superiority. Seems like your avatar is reflexive of your character.

Just out of curiosity, remove the man Joe Paterno himself from the picture for a second. Is it possible to mourn the loss of the iconic symbol that Paterno was to Penn State? The way this whole thing played out in the last couple months with this collapse of a once great legacy, sad seems like a fair word to use to describe the whole thing. Paterno and his program meant a lot to so many people and his death is just another reminder of everything that happened.

The following story illustrates the values with which Joe Paterno wanted to run the football program by at Penn State:

Jay Paterno, an assistant coach for his father—has never forgotten walking home with his father one day after a football game. That was the day he understood just what all this football coaching meant to Joe. Usually their talks revolved around certain plays, certain football decisions, but on this day Joe said, "Jay, you don't have any kids yet, but you will, and then I'll have my revenge." He smiled that smile. And then he said this: "You'll understand, once you have kids, that life changes. You'll find that your happiness is defined by your least happy child. You'll understand. Every player we have, someone—maybe a parent, a grandparent, someone—poured their life and soul into that young man. They are handing that young man off to us. They are giving us their treasure, and it's our job to make sure we give them back that young man intact and ready to face the world."

I really like this anecdote, and truly believe in the truism that Paterno states.

The question that I struggle with is:

Why didn't Joe Paterno think it applies to a 10 year old boy being raped by a friend in the facilities that he rules over?

Why isn't this boy considered a treasure?

Is it because he didn't play football and add to Paterno's legacy?

Edited by In space no one can hear

The following story illustrates the values with which Joe Paterno claimed to want to run the football program at Penn State:

Jay Paterno, an assistant coach for his father—has never forgotten walking home with his father one day after a football game. That was the day he understood just what all this football coaching meant to Joe. Usually their talks revolved around certain plays, certain football decisions, but on this day Joe said, "Jay, you don't have any kids yet, but you will, and then I'll have my revenge." He smiled that smile. And then he said this: "You'll understand, once you have kids, that life changes. You'll find that your happiness is defined by your least happy child. You'll understand. Every player we have, someone—maybe a parent, a grandparent, someone—poured their life and soul into that young man. They are handing that young man off to us. They are giving us their treasure, and it's our job to make sure we give them back that young man intact and ready to face the world."

I really like this anecdote, and truly believe in the truism that Paterno states.

The question that I struggle with is:

Why didn't Joe Paterno think it applies to a 10 year old boy being raped by a friend in the facilities that he rules over?

Why isn't this boy considered a treasure?

Is it because he didn't play football and add to Paterno's legacy?

Because the guy was a phony that is why. Ramius stated it the best. Actions are what define us & in JoPas biggest moment, where he could of really made a difference he decided to be indifferent.

Actions are what defines our lives, and in the biggest moment, when all the chips were on the table, joepa came up oh so small. Joepa proved that for all the legend, all the glory, all the hype, that ultimately, he was nothing more than a coward and a scumbag. Its tough to argue that the world is NOT a better place with another child-raping enabler planted in the ground.

Bravo.

As Simon said, who here knows what Paterno knew and when he knew it...........If you read his last interview with Sally Jenkins, he said he had no inkling of the '98 investigation at a high school regarding the 2nd Mile kid. And, the '99 retirement of Sandusky was because Paterno told him that he's spending too much time with 2nd Mile and not recruiting, etc. and therefore will never get the head coaching job (and then Sandusky took advantage of a 30 year employee state buyout that was being offered.

That is the key to this whole thing. Is Paterno telling the truth. Since the beginning, I've been saying WTF would Sandusky retire at age 55 out of the blue (and shortly after the investigation).

If Paterno is telling the truth about this, then it comes down to '02. He admits he should have done more. But, in the interview he says that he didn't know about this type of thing and got the word to his superiors.

Everybody on the internet seems to know exactly what they would have done if they were the grad asst who surreally finds them in the shower, if they were the 75 year old head coach who was told non detailed info, and if they were on the planes on 9/11 (Mark Walhberg). Real life is a little different.

Anyway, here is today's article by Rick Reilly that is worth a read:

Reilly is really proving lately that he still has skills, esp. people skills.

again, i don't give him a break on this at all, but this is a guy that was on the north side of 65 years old at the youngest and I do kind of believe him that he didn't comprehend what was going on....once he did begin to 'understand' it, i bet he was absolutely crippled within as to what to do about it.....

as despicable as his inaction was....I couldn't imagine having to deal with that myself...I would hope i'd do the right thing....but good god who knows....

As Simon said, who here knows what Paterno knew and when he knew it...........If you read his last interview with Sally Jenkins, he said he had no inkling of the '98 investigation at a high school regarding the 2nd Mile kid. And, the '99 retirement of Sandusky was because Paterno told him that he's spending too much time with 2nd Mile and not recruiting, etc. and therefore will never get the head coaching job (and then Sandusky took advantage of a 30 year employee state buyout that was being offered.

That is the key to this whole thing. Is Paterno telling the truth. Since the beginning, I've been saying WTF would Sandusky retire at age 55 out of the blue (and shortly after the investigation).

If Paterno is telling the truth about this, then it comes down to '02. He admits he should have done more. But, in the interview he says that he didn't know about this type of thing and got the word to his superiors.

Everybody on the internet seems to know exactly what they would have done if they were the grad asst who surreally finds them in the shower, if they were the 75 year old head coach who was told non detailed info, and if they were on the planes on 9/11 (Mark Walhberg). Real life is a little different.

again, i don't give him a break on this at all, but this is a guy that was on the north side of 65 years old at the youngest and I do kind of believe him that he didn't comprehend what was going on....once he did begin to 'understand' it, i bet he was absolutely crippled within as to what to do about it.....

as despicable as his inaction was....I couldn't imagine having to deal with that myself...I would hope i'd do the right thing....but good god who knows....

That's part of my feeling too. That he was maybe halfway told by mcqueery, given his 12 versions of the events, and that he passed it on as he's not an investigator, and possibly he didn't grasp what happened or possibly totally believe anything went as far as it seems to have gone. The last decade he hasn't struck me as fully aware. Yea he might have been able to do whatever he wanted in happy valley but I didnt feel like he was together 100%

If he didn't believe that actual rape occurred based on what he was told, it would have been just as wrong to scream it from the mountain tops as many demand he should have done.

Frankly, when I hear him say he didnt do enough it didnt strike me as the unspoken words were "to save my job." I got the impression that he was generally very remorseful and just grasping the enormity of what he could have helped prevent.

Hearing him talk through this it also struck me particularly that his role in recent years may have had more in common (to bring it to terms most understand here) to Ralph Wilson than it did chan gailey. Additionally that he was becoming more disconnected from the program, and likely a little more insulated from the day to day and the gossip in house etc....

I've never been a Penn st fan, and really dont know the Joe paterno story well. His career mostly predates not just my football watching but my existence at all. I have no reverence for his win loss record, and no pride in his championships. His legacy brings neither myself or anyone I can think of in my life pride based on a degree from Penn st either.

I look at his track record off the field and believe he did genuinely care, from the bits I've heard. From what I gather he made a lot of choices based on his moral compass and a sense of right or wrong, and not just self preservation. he turned down jobs with huge raises, gave back to his community, and over the course of his tenure he spoke many things that I think show the man he hoped to be (as the story above). The volume of seemingly good men that have come out on his behalf also gives me pause before total condemnation.

What Joe was told, and what Joe believed... I don't really know. I do believe that he wishes he did more though, and for the right reasons. If that's true, then I hope he and his family find peace eventually, and count me out on the eternity of fire and rape bandwagon. If he hid this for his own standing, then my opinion changes greatly. I just haven't seen enough to warrant that jump. In the end I probably haven't seen enough to warrant any real opinion.

Just my 2 cents, coming from a distant perspective.

Edited by NoSaint

Love the line at the end of the article:

If we're so able to vividly remember the worst a man did, can't we also remember the best?

i like that line too...i am guilty of having my image of him completely changed over the past few months, however I am trying to rationalize it in my head as to why and how it could have happened like it did...

great article though....

Love the line at the end of the article:

If we're so able to vividly remember the worst a man did, can't we also remember the best?

What exactly did he know and who did he fail to report it to?

You have no idea and are repeatedly ragging and insulting a dead man in his RIP thread based on nothing but your own assumptions. That says a lot more about you than it does Paterno.

I'm not going to discuss it any further here; there might be another time and place for it. I would suggest you do the same, but histroy would cast doubts upon your capability to keep your mouth shut.

I didn't get that from the thread heading?