NFL racism

How the hell does Mularkey get another gig at HC? Brian Schottenheimer gets to interview for HC job while at the same time being fired by the Jets. Perry Fewell and the NY Giants D overwhelm Mularkey's offense and he gets no shot. Gailey keeps his job despite 8 and 7 game losing streaks. Raheem Morris is one year removed from a 10-6 season and he gets fired. Buffalo would kill for a ten win season. The Raiders and especially Al Davis deserve special credit for giving minority coaches a chance and even they let go of Hue Jackson after just missing out on the playoffs(yes I know new GM). Wade Phillips has proven he can coach one hell of a defense but does he deserve yet another HC job?

The Steelers chose Tomlin over Whisenhunt and Grimm. Are there no other Tomlin's out there that teams would be willing to give a shot?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/10/winston-moss-looks-like-early-favorite-for-raiders-job/

Winston Moss is a brotha, last time I checked.

And (speaking as a brotha) it seems like these Rooney Rule interviews actually do help. Helps to polish interview skills, and to learn what is needed to make the jump to the next level.

I dont feel any coaching racism. Look at Romeo getting kept on in KC, with a new 3 year deal. Look at Marvin Lewis not getting fired even when his team sucked. He convinced management to fire some turd players instead. Yeah, mike brown is cheap and didnt wanna pay top dollar, but if he were (willing to be openly) racist, he would rather pay more for a white coach.

How the hell does Mularkey get another gig at HC? Brian Schottenheimer gets to interview for HC job while at the same time being fired by the Jets. Perry Fewell and the NY Giants D overwhelm Mularkey's offense and he gets no shot. Gailey keeps his job despite 8 and 7 game losing streaks. Raheem Morris is one year removed from a 10-6 season and he gets fired. Buffalo would kill for a ten win season. The Raiders and especially Al Davis deserve special credit for giving minority coaches a chance and even they let go of Hue Jackson after just missing out on the playoffs(yes I know new GM). Wade Phillips has proven he can coach one hell of a defense but does he deserve yet another HC job?

The Steelers chose Tomlin over Whisenhunt and Grimm. Are there no other Tomlin's out there that teams would be willing to give a shot?

The Jags felt they wanted an offensive minded HC to help mentor 1st round draft pick QB Blane Gabbert, just like he did with Matt Ryan in Atlanta. Mularkey must think Gabbert has some skill or he wouldn't take that job.

Morris lost the team, the youth movement at HC failed and now the team is looking at older more experienced HC's Wade Phillips-Marty Schottheimer

Da Bears- KC Chiefs -Colts -Bengals -Steelers -Raiders- Vikings all have black HC's. I think teams look more at the talent then the skin color, all teams want to win.

As stated above, Morris was an abject failure in Tampa. There'd be a revolt if the Buccs kept him on. His buddy-buddy style that worked as a position coach didn't translate as an HC. They overachieved last year when they went 10-6, and the bottom fell out this season. The team quit on Morris.

If you want to talk about racism in the coaching ranks, you'll have better luck if you turn your eye towards the NCAA, where there are maybe 5-6 black HCs out fo 120 Div I schools.

Sorry, not buying it...Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, Fewell, Frazier, ect...

Raheem Morris was not a good head coach and deserved to be fired

Steve Spags in St Louis deserved to be fired

Romeo Crennel deserved and got the KC job...after a rough start he got their defense playing at a high level by the end of the year. I really wanted him for DC in Buffalo when the decision was made to go back to the 3-4

Perry Fewell had been getting ripped all year but should have been hired over Mularky bc the Giants defense shutout the Falcons offense...that makes perfect sense :wallbash:

The Jags wanted an offensive minded coach bc of Gabbert and went with Mularky bc he has a history with Gene Smith and has been credited for helping Matt Ryan become a top QB in the league... no matter what any of us think about him im guessing his experience as a head coach before helped as well

who is the bright young offensive mind that isnt white you would have gone with?

again, no matter what any of us think doesnt Wade Phillips have a winning record as a head coach and will always bring tough defense? yeah who wouldnt want that

this isnt and hasnt been an issue in the NFL for a long time...maybe its time you let it go

Edited by Max997

Romeo Crennel just got another gig as HC for KC.....having said that, Racism is alive and kicking in all walks of life, sure it's getting better, singling out the NFL is misguided as the NFL does an outstanding job regarding minority hiring and opportunities.

There is no racism in HC hiring. Proof: Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell.

Good point. Caldwell should have been long gone before Polian, etc. He is terrible. There was talent on that team, and to win 2 games with it has to be the worst coaching job of all time. I like Marvin Lewis, I feel that his teams almost reach their potential every year (which could be grounds for firing him, not getting the potential out of his players. But having a rookie QB and WR do that well is something!). I think next year they go far in the playoffs.

Edited by RyanC883

What about the Aaaaaaaasiaaaaans?!?

What about women? Sounds like an EEO issue if you ask me. No Mongolians either. Can we drop the -American thing though. Unless you just got off the boat this morning from your native country then you are not Cambodian American, African American or any other American. If you were born here then you are an American.

NFL: 6 out of 32

FBS: 28 out of 120

This is a massive improvement from 3 years ago... there has to be available hires of quality for there to be a good hire. As of now, many teams feel there is not much available out there if Mularkey got a HC job; that's how I see it.

Yeah, everything is about race. How about the guys shelled out the big $$$ to buy the franchises hiring who they want to hire?

Um... isn't that the OP's point? That these rich white owners only want to hire white GMs and coaches?