NFL racism

Aren't most players black....I would think 80% of the players are black, compared to 20% white...But thats never brought up....Or in the NBA where probably 95% are black..It is what it is, you take the best person avaliable for the position, coaching included..

That's never brought up? I hear about that discrepancy all the time. And I think 80% and 95% are exaggerations. Pretty big European contingent in the NBA these days.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I agree with the spirit of the Rooney Rule I'm not a huge fan of it. It seems many times teams know who they want and they have to give token interviews to satisfy the rule. It seems a waste of time for some black coaches to interview for all of these jobs they know they have no shot of getting. I hope they do as someone stated earlier use it as a learning experience. It would be nice to not need this rule and know that the best man for the job gets it regardless of race. That is when it will be undebatable whether or not racism exists in the nfl.

I'm asking this question for real and not sarcastically - Since the Chiefs hired Crennel and did so after he was the interim does that change things? If you hire a black coach do you need to interview a white one? If you hire your interim regardless of race do you have to follow the Rooney rule?

If I recall correctly, a black HC candidate turned down an interview, think it was Leslie Frazier, since he and everybody else knew it was only to serve the Rooney rule and that a decision was all but made. I imagine it must feel pretty crappy knowing you've been used as a ploy to avoid accusations of racism.

The Rooney rule has good intentions, who can't get behind equality? How do we get to this "post-racial" society when we continue to identify and reinforce these differences?

that is capitolism at its finest.its my company and i will hire who i want

My point exactly.

And that's kinda the problem. Most of the time when we see "Capitalism at it's finest" we also see "Humanity at it's worst".

Capitalism is great, as long as there are some rules to keep it in check and balance. Just like everything else in the world.

How the hell does Mularkey get another gig at HC? Brian Schottenheimer gets to interview for HC job while at the same time being fired by the Jets. Perry Fewell and the NY Giants D overwhelm Mularkey's offense and he gets no shot. Gailey keeps his job despite 8 and 7 game losing streaks. Raheem Morris is one year removed from a 10-6 season and he gets fired. Buffalo would kill for a ten win season. The Raiders and especially Al Davis deserve special credit for giving minority coaches a chance and even they let go of Hue Jackson after just missing out on the playoffs(yes I know new GM). Wade Phillips has proven he can coach one hell of a defense but does he deserve yet another HC job?

The Steelers chose Tomlin over Whisenhunt and Grimm. Are there no other Tomlin's out there that teams would be willing to give a shot?

You are right. It is kind of racist to mandate you must interview a black coaching candidate no matter how qualified the candidates you already have be it Asian, Hispanic, Caucasian or someone from any number of religious decent etc. Etc.

Some day candidates will be judged based on only their qualification to coach a pro football team, without having their resemue pushed to the candidate list after checking a box.

There is another Tomlin out there but he might be of polish or middle eastern descent.

Racism ??? COME ON MAN !! Don't you think it's time to let that dog lie ?? I could see it if it had some kind of substance to it b/c there are still some ignorant people out there when it comes to that stuff , but the NFL is on the fore front of putting Racism out the window .

If you want to be real ignorant :blink: check the ratio in the league of black to white & i'll bet there COULD be a chance of it being the other way around but that's only if you want to be real stupid about it !!!!! Which i for one when i read this couldn't believe what i was reading :huh: !!

The NFL is doing a great job in every area of putting that subject to rest , heck our Assist. Gm is Doug Whaley one of the smartest up & coming GM prospects in the league so go away with the racism thing man :wallbash: you don't have a leg to stand on !!!

Um... isn't that the OP's point? That these rich white owners only want to hire white GMs and coaches?

Your use of "only" is racist, purely by being false. Why do we consider it progress when a person of a certain race is hired as a head coach? Is the same consideration being made for players? Shouldn't there be a drive to have as many white players as the other races?

Edited by Triple Threat

How the hell does Mularkey get another gig at HC? Brian Schottenheimer gets to interview for HC job while at the same time being fired by the Jets. Perry Fewell and the NY Giants D overwhelm Mularkey's offense and he gets no shot. Gailey keeps his job despite 8 and 7 game losing streaks. Raheem Morris is one year removed from a 10-6 season and he gets fired. Buffalo would kill for a ten win season. The Raiders and especially Al Davis deserve special credit for giving minority coaches a chance and even they let go of Hue Jackson after just missing out on the playoffs(yes I know new GM). Wade Phillips has proven he can coach one hell of a defense but does he deserve yet another HC job?

The Steelers chose Tomlin over Whisenhunt and Grimm. Are there no other Tomlin's out there that teams would be willing to give a shot?

If Mularkey can win in a town like Buffalo......

If I recall correctly, a black HC candidate turned down an interview, think it was Leslie Frazier, since he and everybody else knew it was only to serve the Rooney rule and that a decision was all but made. I imagine it must feel pretty crappy knowing you've been used as a ploy to avoid accusations of racism.

The Rooney rule has good intentions, who can't get behind equality? How do we get to this "post-racial" society when we continue to identify and reinforce these differences?

I think the post-racial society you mention is coming. As society moves further away from segregation and an age where racism was tolerated this should improve. Jim Crow laws were only repealed in 1964. Brown v Board of Education was 1954. A good majority if not all nfl owners were born before this and lived in a time that racism was socially acceptable. So a nice kick in the pants doesn't hurt.

My generation (born in 81) does not know a time when it was socially acceptable to discriminate. Mixed relationships are common place now and more importantly more accepted. However I think it is still something that some in the baby boomer generation struggle with.

Sadly there will always be hate and discrimination but the more people are aware of it and the less socially acceptable it becomes the less powerful it is.

Yes you are correct too it was Frazier who refused an interview.

were all bruthas man

Yes we are.

BTW, what happened to your awesome avatar?

The owner of the Jaguars,, Shahid Khan is Pakastani. Just saying.

But has he hired any Cambodians?

I see your point. I still think the Rooney Rules is a good thing… the lesser of two evils so to speak.

And that's kinda the problem. Most of the time when we see "Capitalism at it's finest" we also see "Humanity at it's worst".

Capitalism is great, as long as there are some rules to keep it in check and balance. Just like everything else in the world.

Communist!!!

I think the post-racial society you mention is coming. As society moves further away from segregation and an age where racism was tolerated this should improve. Jim Crow laws were only repealed in 1964. Brown v Board of Education was 1954. A good majority if not all nfl owners were born before this and lived in a time that racism was socially acceptable. So a nice kick in the pants doesn't hurt.

My generation (born in 81) does not know a time when it was socially acceptable to discriminate. Mixed relationships are common place now and more importantly more accepted. However I think it is still something that some in the baby boomer generation struggle with.

Sadly there will always be hate and discrimination but the more people are aware of it and the less socially acceptable it becomes the less powerful it is.

Yes you are correct too it was Frazier who refused an interview.

Have to say there's been dozens of really excellent posts in this thread… on all sides of the issue.

That's never brought up? I hear about that discrepancy all the time. And I think 80% and 95% are exaggerations. Pretty big European contingent in the NBA these days.

I don't think those numbers are exaggerated at all, but nor am I complaining about it, just saying that it is what it is, if there are more white coaches who cares..There apparently more white people in the united states so more of them should be coaches percentage wise..Besides what do you care - your avatar picture shows you as a furry orange guy..!

I don't think those numbers are exaggerated at all, but nor am I complaining about it, just saying that it is what it is, if there are more white coaches who cares..There apparently more white people in the united states so more of them should be coaches percentage wise..Besides what do you care - your avatar picture shows you as a furry orange guy..!

And by the way - your missing your whole top set of teeth...! :oops:

Is it possible, just possible Fewell etal don't interview well? When they go in they don't show the traits owners are looking for in Head coaches? Some people are just not cut out to be head coaches.