FJ and CJ: Utility or Futility?

Anyone else watch the locker cleanout interviews up on BuffaloBills.com?

CJ was asked how he'd feel about returning to his initial role this season. "You mean sitting on the sidelines?"

While he didn't say anything politically incorrect or untoward - in fact he said "If that's what they tell me to do, that's what I gotta do!" - he made it clear he regarded that as a very dumb idea.

I'm with CJ, based upon his end of season performance I'd regard that as a dumb idea too.

And yet...and yet....in many ways, CJ truly is not yet fit to hold Freddy's jock. He hesitates and sidesteps where Freddy would power ahead and make 2-3 yds and the first or the score. CJ can make some blocks and pass protect now - sometimes, if it's clear to him what his assignment is - some improvement required yet. He's not yet (and maybe never will be) capable of flattening a charging LB the way Freddie can. Booo-Yah.

Now one would think, that a Bona Fide Offensive Megamind should just be licking his chops at the thought of two players such as FJ and CJ on the roster next year. Wouldn't you think it would set a D back on their heels if they see CJ and FJ out there and can't think "running play" because both of them can catch? Surely with all offseason something clever would be devised.

And yet...and yet...Chan has shown himself pass-happy, in despite of results and personnel. He was unable to really figure out a way to get CJ on the field, until FJ went down.

Will we see utility, or futility here?

I don't watch other teams faithfully enough to know: which teams out there reliably run two-back sets?

Off the top of my head the Giants, Texans, Packers, Broncos out of the playoff teams. Belichick uses 3 or 4, depending on whether or not Kevin Faulk is active. It can be done quite easily.

Off the top of my head the Giants, Texans, Packers, Broncos out of the playoff teams. Belichick uses 3 or 4, depending on whether or not Kevin Faulk is active. It can be done quite easily.

I don't doubt it, I'd just like to look at how they use their backs effectively and see what kinds of plays work out of those formations.

The packers use Starks and Grant in the same backfield at the same time? Houston uses foster and tate at the same time? Mcgahee and lance ball? I don't remember seeing those formations. Maybe I was too drunk all season? Maybe....

The packers use Starks and Grant in the same backfield at the same time? Houston uses foster and tate at the same time? Mcgahee and lance ball? I don't remember seeing those formations. Maybe I was too drunk all season? Maybe....

That was my question, but I don't watch enough of the rest of the league to know.

I'm guessing, since CJ finally put his man pants on and produced the later part of the season, he's demonstrated that he can be trusted to some extent. I'm also gussing that his HC will figure out the best way to utilize the two together and probably come up with some unique schemes.

The problem is CJ was picked 9th. Economically, he HAS to see the field even though he is, by a long shot, a far worse RB than Freddie. Freddie is over 30 now, coming off a pretty significant injury for a RB. That will be all the excuses Nix and his cronies need to insert CJ into the starting lineup in 2012. Fred will see his role reduced.

If CJ was picked in the second round, or was a street FA, he'd be a change of pace back with big play capability. And he'd thrive in that role. This is why it was foolish to take CJ where he was taken -- even worse when you factor in the talent the Bills already had on the roster and the amount of first round picks expended on RBs over the past decade and change.

RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. It's why smart teams rarely draft a RB in the first round anymore unless they're the missing piece to a super bowl run. But now the Bills are committed to CJ. They have to play him. A lot. And they will.

CJ had 446 yards rushing, 187 yards receiving, and 4 TD's after FredEx went to IR in the last 5 games. You average that out over the course of the season and he's rushing for 1,427 yards, gets 598 yards receiving, and 16 total TD's. Those would be excellent numbers. I'd say he's shown himself more than capable and will only get better with experience. I've told people from day one that he would be on a similar curve as Darren McFadden and it's pretty much proven true. I expect big things out of CJ next year.

Also, remember that the line CJ was running behind was missing Wood also and had plug ins all over.

Edited by H2o

CJ had 446 yards rushing, 187 yards receiving, and 4 TD's after FredEx went to IR in the last 5 games. You average that out over the course of the season and he's rushing for 1,427 yards, gets 598 yards receiving, and 16 total TD's. Those would be excellent numbers. I'd say he's shown himself more than capable and will only get better with experience. I've told people from day one that he would be on a similar curve as Darren McFadden and it's pretty much proven true. I expect big things out of CJ next year.

Also, remember that the line CJ was running behind was missing Wood also and had plug ins all over.

If you're Chan Gailey then, do you start CJ next season? Or do you start Freddie?

CJ was the best talent available at the 9 pick. He has shown he can produce in the NFL, albeit with a plug-in O line. He needs to work on blocking a bit more, but I see drafting another TE, O lineman, and all defense next year. Why not run 2 or 3 TE with split running backs in the backfield once in a while? Is it run or pass? Hagen looked impressive, and if we sign SJ, and add another WR or one of the guys from this year grows up, we have no real needs on offense past the best available at the 10th pick.. If it's an offensive guy or defense is not a concern as long as they are a the best player. You fill holes in the 2nd 3rd and 4th rounds, IMO.

Tim-

• 1 month later...

If Gailey would get his head out of his arse, his entire offense would be built around BOTH these backs and not having Fitzpatrick tossing up 35+ attempts per game.

Fred is your bruiser and CJ should be your screens/catching back similar to how New Orleans uses Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles. CJ should be our Sproles.

But of course, our "Megamind" is intent on shelving the run EVEN when it's working because he thinks he's the smartest man in the room.

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of Gailey's playcalling. Towards the end of the year, it was outright dreadful.

Anyone else watch the locker cleanout interviews up on BuffaloBills.com?

CJ was asked how he'd feel about returning to his initial role this season. "You mean sitting on the sidelines?"

While he didn't say anything politically incorrect or untoward - in fact he said "If that's what they tell me to do, that's what I gotta do!" - he made it clear he regarded that as a very dumb idea.

I'm with CJ, based upon his end of season performance I'd regard that as a dumb idea too.

And yet...and yet....in many ways, CJ truly is not yet fit to hold Freddy's jock. He hesitates and sidesteps where Freddy would power ahead and make 2-3 yds and the first or the score. CJ can make some blocks and pass protect now - sometimes, if it's clear to him what his assignment is - some improvement required yet. He's not yet (and maybe never will be) capable of flattening a charging LB the way Freddie can. Booo-Yah.

Now one would think, that a Bona Fide Offensive Megamind should just be licking his chops at the thought of two players such as FJ and CJ on the roster next year. Wouldn't you think it would set a D back on their heels if they see CJ and FJ out there and can't think "running play" because both of them can catch? Surely with all offseason something clever would be devised.

And yet...and yet...Chan has shown himself pass-happy, in despite of results and personnel. He was unable to really figure out a way to get CJ on the field, until FJ went down.

Will we see utility, or futility here?

The Bills threw a lot to CJ in the second half of the season and he proved to be less than a stellar receiver. Can he catch a screen pass? Yes. Can he play the slot and run receiver's routes and catch passes consistently? Not based on what we saw.

Fred has better hands, but he's no Wes Welker. Maybe if they had a QB who could drop it in a bucket from 25-30 yards away they could be made to look better, but that ain't Fitz.

This team absolutely needs to be running out of 2 back sets

No one runs out of 2 back sets anymore. I can't remember a team doing so in the past few years, as it removes options in the passing game particularly with offenses in 3 receiver sets.

The CJ experience in two years really illustrates the lack of a vision with this team. They select a hybrid RB with their first pick in a massive rebuild, then proceed to pass almost 60% of the time while possessing an OL more suited to a power running game. Beyond that, Gailey couldn't find ways to involve their prize RB or simply didn't trust him. Either way, that's a failure on several levels.

And I'm willing to bet that Fred Jackson's legs have more life in them than the normal 31 year old back. He's got 817 career carries with short seasons in NFL Europe and the NIFL/UIFL. That's not a lot, but apparently some have forgotten the production Fred had in 2011. He'll be back.

If Gailey would get his head out of his arse, his entire offense would be built around BOTH these backs and not having Fitzpatrick tossing up 35+ attempts per game.

Fred is your bruiser and CJ should be your screens/catching back similar to how New Orleans uses Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles. CJ should be our Sproles.

But of course, our "Megamind" is intent on shelving the run EVEN when it's working because he thinks he's the smartest man in the room.

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of Gailey's playcalling. Towards the end of the year, it was outright dreadful.

CJ can be a much better runner than Sproles...and Gailey had no choice but to let Fitz throw 35 times because our d was so porous