FJ and CJ: Utility or Futility?

That was my question, but I don't watch enough of the rest of the league to know.

I'll add in that the saints run Sproles, Ingram, and Thomas. The Jets ran Shonn Greene and an ass-old Tomlinson.

You put freddie and CJ in the backfield with a TE and 2 WRs. Thats numerous options to run and pass, since you can run 1 of the 2, and/or split 1 or both of them out wide creating a matchup problem. If us guys on a message board can think this stuff up, why can't chan?

I'll add in that the saints run Sproles, Ingram, and Thomas. The Jets ran Shonn Greene and an ass-old Tomlinson.

You put freddie and CJ in the backfield with a TE and 2 WRs. Thats numerous options to run and pass, since you can run 1 of the 2, and/or split 1 or both of them out wide creating a matchup problem. If us guys on a message board can think this stuff up, why can't chan?

I don't think I've seen two of those guys on the field at the same time pretty much ever.

It'd be cool to see Chan design an offense with both CJ and Freddie on the field. Lot's of motion, lot's of fakes and misdirection plays. Lot's of possibilities.

Freddie = HB/FB

CJ = HB/Slot

Add in a big TE, and perhaps picking an OT or G at #10 spot in the draft and you have the makings for a ridiculous offense. One major problem with this is if either CJ or Freddie goes down, who is replacing them? You'd almost have to have a backup for each player since they are so different from each other.

Anyone else watch the locker cleanout interviews up on BuffaloBills.com?

CJ was asked how he'd feel about returning to his initial role this season. "You mean sitting on the sidelines?"

While he didn't say anything politically incorrect or untoward - in fact he said "If that's what they tell me to do, that's what I gotta do!" - he made it clear he regarded that as a very dumb idea.

I'm with CJ, based upon his end of season performance I'd regard that as a dumb idea too.

And yet...and yet....in many ways, CJ truly is not yet fit to hold Freddy's jock. He hesitates and sidesteps where Freddy would power ahead and make 2-3 yds and the first or the score. CJ can make some blocks and pass protect now - sometimes, if it's clear to him what his assignment is - some improvement required yet. He's not yet (and maybe never will be) capable of flattening a charging LB the way Freddie can. Booo-Yah.

Now one would think, that a Bona Fide Offensive Megamind should just be licking his chops at the thought of two players such as FJ and CJ on the roster next year. Wouldn't you think it would set a D back on their heels if they see CJ and FJ out there and can't think "running play" because both of them can catch? Surely with all offseason something clever would be devised.

And yet...and yet...Chan has shown himself pass-happy, in despite of results and personnel. He was unable to really figure out a way to get CJ on the field, until FJ went down.

Will we see utility, or futility here?

I agree with most of what you said. FJ was amazing until he got hurt, I don't think anyone can dispute that. He has everything a RB needs, speed, power, vision, he can block, he can catch, he's SMART on the field, almost never loses yards.

Spiller showed some amazing ability towards the end of the season. When we get him in space his speed is flat out dangerous, and he needs to get his playing time. BUT, he is not FJ, he doesn't block well, has virtually no power, and loses yards on a regular basis. He has very much earned solid playing time, but IMO, should be used more as a Sproles/Bush type of guy, than a feature back. The combination of the two of them should give us a solid 1-2 punch, and I have no doubt Gailey will find ways to use them both, possibly on the field at the same time.

Sproles was one of the best RB's in the league this year, hugely important to his team. But he wasn't even the starter. That's type of production I think Spiller can have, if used properly in a similar type of role.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

CJ had 446 yards rushing, 187 yards receiving, and 4 TD's after FredEx went to IR in the last 5 games. You average that out over the course of the season and he's rushing for 1,427 yards, gets 598 yards receiving, and 16 total TD's. Those would be excellent numbers. I'd say he's shown himself more than capable and will only get better with experience. I've told people from day one that he would be on a similar curve as Darren McFadden and it's pretty much proven true. I expect big things out of CJ next year.

Also, remember that the line CJ was running behind was missing Wood also and had plug ins all over.

Don't go using them smart college boy facts on them CJ Spiller haters. Don't you know he is a luxury pick bust that can't hold Fred's jock???? Idiots!!!!

I'm guessing, since CJ finally put his man pants on and produced the later part of the season, he's demonstrated that he can be trusted to some extent. I'm also gussing that his HC will figure out the best way to utilize the two together and probably come up with some unique schemes.

Seriously. What a scrub for taking so long to finally produce in the NFL ( I think a year and a half). I couldn't have faulted the Bills if they cut that underachieving d bag after his first training camp. :devil:

Refresh my memory gentlemen. When Chan first got here, wasn't the plan on offense to have Lynch and Fred in a lot of 2 back sets until they both got hurt in game 1 of the preseason. For some reason I remember that being the talk at the start of camp that year. If that is true I wonder if they would go for it now.

Refresh my memory gentlemen. When Chan first got here, wasn't the plan on offense to have Lynch and Fred in a lot of 2 back sets until they both got hurt in game 1 of the preseason. For some reason I remember that being the talk at the start of camp that year. If that is true I wonder if they would go for it now.

There was indeed talk of that. It never came to fruition though. Hopefully this year they really figure it out. Spiller played some WR this year and we know Fred can catch. Since we are so devoid of WR talent it might make some sense to have both guys in in the back field and have the option to motion either or both to the line of scrimmage for empty backfield sets. In the run game 2 backs would allow for misdirection but I don't know that either would really be good as a lead blocker for the other. Fred is definitely the better blocker of the two but using a 31 year old RB as a lead blocker might be too big a pill for Fred to swallow as well as pride issues.

No one runs out of 2 back sets anymore. I can't remember a team doing so in the past few years, as it removes options in the passing game particularly with offenses in 3 receiver sets.

The CJ experience in two years really illustrates the lack of a vision with this team. They select a hybrid RB with their first pick in a massive rebuild, then proceed to pass almost 60% of the time while possessing an OL more suited to a power running game. Beyond that, Gailey couldn't find ways to involve their prize RB or simply didn't trust him. Either way, that's a failure on several levels.

And I'm willing to bet that Fred Jackson's legs have more life in them than the normal 31 year old back. He's got 817 career carries with short seasons in NFL Europe and the NIFL/UIFL. That's not a lot, but apparently some have forgotten the production Fred had in 2011. He'll be back.

- This team does not use a vertical passing game

- Both of those running backs are excellent receivers

- You can be a lot more creative with 2 back sets

- This team does not use a vertical passing game

- Both of those running backs are excellent receivers

- You can be a lot more creative with 2 back sets

-Teams using 3 receiver sets aren't exclusively vertically oriented.

-Both RB's are good receivers, but they're not as good a receiver as an actual one playing the position.

-No one uses 2 back sets anymore. No one.

to reply to a few of the ideas being knocked around here:

2 back sets are kind of limiting. it's not as if you are just adding an additional running back. the opposing defense still has 11 players, just like the offense. in many if not all cases, the mismatch you gain is at the expense of protection.

the bills running successes were primarily achieved using draws and sweeps out of passing formations. not so much out of traditional running formations.

fred is good in pass protection, but i dont think he can/should be used consistently as a lead blocker in the running game. and i dont think anyone would suggest using spiller to spring fred. again, a limitation.

get some receivers, improve the OL, but keep running the spread and running draws and tosses. the bills run game is set up by the pass.