So Brees was a 2nd round pick.

Toshiero

i dont get the talk of trading back up or taking Dalton in the first when he was still on the board when they picked in the second :wallbash:

I like dareus but I wouldnt have had a problem picking Green and Dalton after watching them play together all year

I like dareus but I wouldnt have had a problem picking Green and Dalton after watching them play together all year

:wallbash:

It's comments like this that really piss me off. Nix doesn't have the luxury of hindsight. For all you Nix bashers, take a look at the #1 overall pick in the draft history and tell me what the odds are that this player will be all world. By the way, IMO Fitz would have taken the Bengals to the playoffs this year. He's better than Dalton at this moment.

But according to nix last year there wasn't anyone there at #3 that would be worth the pick at QB to build around, and according to fans there won't be anyone at #10 (Projected pick).

Imagine for a moment, Dalton (my personal favorite last year) or even Jake Locker at QB for us after trading down a few spots and getting more talent on this team. We are only going to win 6 games, I don't think we would have lost more. Oh and we would have our QB of the future on the roster NOW with a full season under his belt etc.

And fans wonder why we are always at the bottom of the heap and never see the playoffs. But never fear we have the Amish BB Gun with his magic beard to lead us...

Ahh, the power of hindsight!!!

There are a few QB's that can lead a bad team to the playoffs and Dalton is not one of them. I'm glad we stayed where we were in the draft. I like the past draft of ours alot. I'd rather have Marcell than Dalton any day.

Why not argue that Dalton could have been taken with our 2nd round pick?

As per the original post - I don't think that Dalton would have been the Bills next rated QB. My guess is the next QB on their list would have been Gabbert (how'd Jacksonville do this year?).

Argue all you want, it's a waste of time and makes him sound like a whiner. Please understand that Nix and Gailey do not have the luxury of hindsight like you do.

:wallbash:

It's comments like this that really piss me off. Nix doesn't have the luxury of hindsight. For all you Nix bashers, take a look at the #1 overall pick in the draft history and tell me what the odds are that this player will be all world. By the way, IMO Fitz would have taken the Bengals to the playoffs this year. He's better than Dalton at this moment.

Ahh, the power of hindsight!!!

There are a few QB's that can lead a bad team to the playoffs and Dalton is not one of them. I'm glad we stayed where we were in the draft. I like the past draft of ours alot. I'd rather have Marcell than Dalton any day.

Can you guys stop saying 'hindsight' already? It wasn't hindsight, I had a great feeling about Dalton and he was my pick over newton (see earlier post). All the Gm's post Polian have sucked and fans keep saying 'hindsight'. At what point will we have a GM with the foresight to actually get top quality talent on this team via the draft?

Hence this part of my post 'magine for a moment, Dalton (my personal favorite last year) or even Jake Locker at QB for us after trading down a few spots and getting more talent on this team."

I had Dalton rated as my Top QB. So I was wrong, Cam actually showed up, put his ego aside and wants to be an NFL QB. That said, I would take Dalton and his potential right now over Fitz any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The kid is only going to get better.

You sound like a candidate for a job at OBD. You can talk to Nix and Gailey about your thoughts and how hindsight makes you smarter than they are.

:rolleyes:

Can you guys stop saying 'hindsight' already? It wasn't hindsight, I had a great feeling about Dalton and he was my pick over newton (see earlier post). All the Gm's post Polian have sucked and fans keep saying 'hindsight'. At what point will we have a GM with the foresight to actually get top quality talent on this team via the draft?

So, you don't like this past draft? Spiller is turning out OK too. You should apply for a job at OBD. They really need you.

Hindsight,Hindsight,Hindsight,Hindsight,Hindsight

Ok hot shot. For the record and without the benefit of hindsight. Give us your picks in the upcoming draft.

We are waiting?

Edited by Bob in STL

Rebuilding a team means finding your long term answer at QB. The Bills haven't been in prime position to take one, but you can't go 3 drafts without doing something for the future. Perhaps Nix leaves this one to Whaley when the younger man takes over. Still, I don't know of one successful rebuild where the front office eschewed taking a QB in the draft.

Ravens and Patriots.

Ravens have Flacco (1st rounder) now - but that was after their Super Bowl.

Pats took Mallet this year. They didn't build up to where they are with a QB - they inherited Bledsoe, and eventually replaced him (with a 6th rounder) after Drew was hurt.

OTOH, I could name a whole bunch of rebuilding teams that took their "franchise" QB, and never did rebuild "successfully".

QB is the most important position on the team, if you have one you believe in available in the draft - you grab him - but there is no iron clad rule that you must or must not to succeed. It's a team game, and you need a lot to win.

Having said that - it is statistically true that a significant majority of Super Bowl teams did have a 1st rounder as their QB. Brady and Brees (nearly a 1st rounder himself - he was the first pick in the 2nd round) are very notable exceptions.

Edited by BobChalmers

Ok hot shot. For the record and without the benefit of hindsight. Give us your picks in the upcoming draft.

We are waiting?

Finally a senseable fan. With you Bob. Here is what we need to do here. Wether a forum here or what I don't know. But I want there to be a place to have a fan draft. Who would you pick each round ( there or not to make it simple) then we can see how well each fan did. Almost like a Fantasy team only all draft picks. Then at the end of the year we will know how they all did. I think if these people that brag that they had a gut feeling that the draft pick they wanted would do great will have proof that they would have picked them...... or not

Ravens and Patriots.

Pats took Mallet this year. They didn't build up to where they are with a QB - they inherited Bledsoe, and eventually replaced him (with a 6th rounder) after Drew was hurt.

OTOH, I could name a whole bunch of rebuilding teams that took their "franchise" QB, and never did rebuild "successfully".

QB is the most important position on the team, if you have one you believe in available in the draft - you grab him - but there is no iron clad rule that you must or must not to succeed. It's a team game, and you need a lot to win.

Having said that - it is statistically true that a significant majority of Super Bowl teams did have a 1st rounder as their QB. Brady and Brees (nearly a 1st rounder himself - he was the first pick in the 2nd round) are very notable exceptions.

Baltimore fell to 5-11 in 2007, took Flacco in the 08 draft and have made the playoffs ever since. It's a debate whether that qualifies as a rebuild, but they did grab a QB early.

New England hasn't rebuilt since the 2000 season, and I'm sure that Brady wasn't thought of as their franchise guy in April 2000 or a suitable replacement for Bledsoe. They are probably the only team that's not used a high pick on a QB, i.e. a first or second, at the outset of rebuilding. NO didn't draft one high, choosing to sign Drew Brees and Houston traded for Matt Schaub.

Having said all of this, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not your long term answer at QB. At least if you want to be better than 8-8, which with a supporting cast is what I think he's topping out as. And right now it's debatable if the Bills will keep enough talent, owing to the financial requirement, to surround him and mask his deficiencies.

A rookie QB with 21 TD passes, albeit in a pass happy league, is nothing to run down. Were it not for Cam Newton, Dalton has had the best rookie season for a QB in years and he was a second round pick. His numbers, again for a QB, are on par with Green's as a rookie WR picked top 5.

Rebuilding a team means finding your long term answer at QB. The Bills haven't been in prime position to take one, but you can't go 3 drafts without doing something for the future. Perhaps Nix leaves this one to Whaley when the younger man takes over. Still, I don't know of one successful rebuild where the front office eschewed taking a QB in the draft.

He had a decent rookie season. And as long as he has a top-10 defense and a good running game, the team will do well. But where he goes from here remains to be seen.

Ravens and Patriots.

Brady was a throwaway pick. Had the Pats known how good he'd be, they'd have taken him WELL before the 6th round. And they wouldn't have given Bledsoe a $100M contract prior to the season where he almost died, paving the way for Brady to get extended action. But we'll see what becomes of Mallett and how well they can actually develop QB's, considering the took him 3 rounds higher than they took Brady.

i dont get the talk of trading back up or taking Dalton in the first when he was still on the board when they picked in the second :wallbash:

Do you feel Green and Dalton would have had the same success with Chan's play calling?

But according to nix last year there wasn't anyone there at #3 that would be worth the pick at QB to build around, and according to fans there won't be anyone at #10 (Projected pick).

Imagine for a moment, Dalton (my personal favorite last year) or even Jake Locker at QB for us after trading down a few spots and getting more talent on this team. We are only going to win 6 games, I don't think we would have lost more. Oh and we would have our QB of the future on the roster NOW with a full season under his belt etc.

And fans wonder why we are always at the bottom of the heap and never see the playoffs. But never fear we have the Amish BB Gun with his magic beard to lead us...

Ryan Tannehill will be there in the second and you will be able to relax for the next decade.

(Cohen :nana: )

I hate when Bills fans play the "We Should Have Drafted ________ Instead" game. This organization is almost as incompetent in developing players as they are in drafting players.

If Aaron Rodgers were drafted by the Bills, he would have been no better than JP Losman.

We are waiting?

I asked for this very early in the thread and have been ignored.

Sorry Tosh, you joined less than a month ago. So this "I wanted so-and-so all along" doesnt cut it. It IS hindsight with which you are speaking. Like it or not.

So Tosh, oh wise one, give us your draft picks for 2012. Otherwise, this "coulda/shoulda" crap is tired.

I hate when Bills fans play the "We Should Have Drafted ________ Instead" game. This organization is almost as incompetent in developing players as they are in drafting players.

I only have a problem with it when the fans now want a guy who they'd have been screaming was a "reach" or a "luxury" later.

Anyone other than Dareus, Peterson, or Green would have been a reach at #3 last April. I'd have been fine with any of them - Dareus was the best fit for the clearest need. They snagged Aaron Williams in the 2nd who looks pretty good. They were hoping for Easely to emerge so they gambled against WR.

Compare this with those of us who screamed the moment Whitner was taken over the OBVIOUS choice of Ngata. Everyone in the country had Ngata pencilled in for us - he was an awesome player at a major position of need. That was a stupid pick and a ridiculous reach by arguably the worst GM in the Bills' history (our beloved coach Levy). There is nothing wrong with ragging on his tenure for that mistake (as well as numerous others).

If Aaron Rodgers were drafted by the Bills, he would have been no better than JP Losman.

That is complete nonsense, sorry.

I believe Jauron did do a lot to ruin Losman - but he's a few notches below Rodgers no matter how you slice it. Remember, Losman was widely considered a bit of a reach when they took him.

Edited by BobChalmers

You sound like a candidate for a job at OBD. You can talk to Nix and Gailey about your thoughts and how hindsight makes you smarter than they are.

:rolleyes:

So, you don't like this past draft? Spiller is turning out OK too. You should apply for a job at OBD. They really need you.

Hindsight,Hindsight,Hindsight,Hindsight,Hindsight

Stop calling me!

A rookie QB with 21 TD passes, albeit in a pass happy league, is nothing to run down. Were it not for Cam Newton, Dalton has had the best rookie season for a QB in years and he was a second round pick. His numbers, again for a QB, are on par with Green's as a rookie WR picked top 5.

Um, the Saints ...

Um, the Saints ...

Corrected myself with the Saints in a previous post. Brees is an exception, being that he was allowed to hit UFA after that terrible injury. Not many teams roll from one good QB to another, GB being another example. I just don't see franchise QB's, injured or otherwise, hitting free agency. Of course, Peyton Manning might... :unsure:

2nd round qbs

jimmy clausen

kellen clemens

tavaris jackson

john beck

kevin kolb

drew stanton

brian brhom

chad henne

pat white

quincy carter

marques tuisosopo

AND drew brees all the qbs drafted in the second round since 2001....lol

1/12 aint bad.......hahah

Great Point here! Hindsight is almost always 20-20. Dalton has looked good, but lets see as time goes on.

There is never a guarentee on any player you select and the QB position seems to have a bigger risk factor than most. i think that's because there is more "reaching" for the QB position in the draft. Montana was a 3rd rounder, Brady a 6th rounder, Romo and Unitas were free agents to mention a few late picks who suceeded.