A Few (Very Abbreviated) Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Three good things i can say about the game are:

1) Spiller didn't suck. But have to temper than with the fact that it was Miami.

2) Can't remember his name, but whoever was returning kicks had a couple nice ones. Almost broke a couple of them.

3) It is over and I never, ever, have to watch that piece of **** game again.

Agree 100%. I forgot about those returns but those were the best Bills KO returns I've seen in a long time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller is a fine change of pace back. Waste of a number 1: Yes. Do I dislike the guy? No.

No he isn't a waste of a number one pick. He's a playmaker and those aren't easy to find.

He can carry the load. Gailey has to take his head out of his tail end and use the guy.

He also abandons the run when Freddy is running well. He's too pass happy and tied to his

spread system.

No he isn't a waste of a number one pick. He's a playmaker and those aren't easy to find.

He can carry the load. Gailey has to take his head out of his tail end and use the guy.

He also abandons the run when Freddy is running well. He's too pass happy and tied to his

spread system.

I have not seen evidence of this playmaking ability. He's a good player. I like him. But he's not Reggie Bush.

And I agree that Gailey abandons the run before he should.

I have not seen evidence of this playmaking ability. He's a good player. I like him. But he's not Reggie Bush.

Huh? Reggie Bush had 500 yards rushing his first 2 years and averaged less than 4 ypc. Spiller has 390 right now and has averaged 5 ypc as a backup rb. Why do people try so hard to knock Spiller? When he has been given opportunities, he's made plays. This team badly lacks playmakers. We need more players like Spiller.

The explosive run where Bush went the distance right up the middle on our D ... that is what the Bills thought they were going to get from Spiller. Too bad for him that the Bills offense can't go against the Bills defense in games.

Huh? Reggie Bush had 500 yards rushing his first 2 years and averaged less than 4 ypc. Spiller has 390 right now and has averaged 5 ypc as a backup rb. Why do people try so hard to knock Spiller? When he has been given opportunities, he's made plays. This team badly lacks playmakers. We need more players like Spiller.

Could have sworn that's why they drafted him. I said it yesterday, I am off the Gailey bandwagon until he gives me reason to get back on. The plays he was calling were working in the first quarter. We had success running inside and outside and our OL was beating them up at the LOS. Miami started crowding the box. Chan had them doing EXACTLY what he needed them to do to open it up for Fitz but he got scared of a couple 2nd/long and 3rd/long situations and started forcing things. And then he abandoned Spiller altogether. I saw all I needed when Choice came out for the series immediately after Spillers long TD run, which came on the heels of another long CJ run. Unbelievable.

Chan is either too stupid or too egotistical about his passing schemes. Either way, I've lost faith in his ability to call plays.

GO BILLS!!!

Could have sworn that's why they drafted him. I said it yesterday, I am off the Gailey bandwagon until he gives me reason to get back on. The plays he was calling were working in the first quarter. We had success running inside and outside and our OL was beating them up at the LOS. Miami started crowding the box. Chan had them doing EXACTLY what he needed them to do to open it up for Fitz but he got scared of a couple 2nd/long and 3rd/long situations and started forcing things. And then he abandoned Spiller altogether. I saw all I needed when Choice came out for the series immediately after Spillers long TD run, which came on the heels of another long CJ run. Unbelievable.

Chan is either too stupid or too egotistical about his passing schemes. Either way, I've lost faith in his ability to call plays.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll still ride with Chan but I really don't get what he is doing with Spiller. Spiller was tearing it up this game as he was in the Tennessee game. He should have had over 100 easily in both but Chan went away from him. Our D and Fitz have sucked lately so why not run the ball and control the clock?

They used to say the only person who could stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith. Not comparing him to Jordan at all, but Chan is the only one who can stop Spiller right now.

you build great teams from the trenches back. Until we commit to building an outstanding offensive and defensive line (in a 3-4 include the linebackers) we will not be going anywhere.

I agree with Bill that Fitz is not showing much of anything and if we are picking in the top three or four we should hope to get one of the two great qb's available. If not I think Tyrann Mathieu may be the best football player overall in the draft.

The Bills have a real loser attitude. I hate to say that, but I think they came back from the break thinking they were entitled, and when the cowboys trounced them they just went into a fetal position.

Memo to Bills...grow a set of gonads and go after Denver and New England...go into the offseason with at least some semblance of dignity.

That responsability goes to the players. They were the ones wanting to be good, respected. At the first sign of trouble the leaders dissapeared. A rookie had to lead a pep talk before the second Jets game.

Chan needs to find his leader on the field, he needs to find that QB that will produce what he wants to accomplish on the field. If a gameplan doesn't work and Gailey is making bad calls the QB needs to be able to communicate what might work or not. Fitz is playing like a robot right now and the team is lost without a leader.

Edited by Fixxxer

Good thoughts Bill but are you really Chan Gailey? He seems to hate Spiller as much as you do. :devil:

Again, I don't hate Spiller. I hate that the Bills used a #9 to draft a small, situational running back to play behind a weak OL, in order to "create excitement." In other words sell tickets.

I am not one to try and form a consensus. In fact, I like dialogue. I make the contention that Spiller was a dumb selection for this team. Not as bad as Whitner, but very bad.

One other thing....it IS exciting to watch a running back with speed to get through a hole and score a td. On his first touchdown, Spiller had a hole that a truck could have driven through. Levitre and believe it or not Rhinehart paved him a highway on that particular play. Fans can point to runs like this and justify neglecting the foundation of a football team. But a lot less people noticed who threw these key blocks. Those guys win games, but they don't really sell tickets.

Hopefully, the Bills will draft better and solve their problems.

I've got nothing against Spiller, but your argument here is dishonest. You neglected to mention that in his first two seasons, Bush had 161 receptions. That's a lot of catches.

I've got nothing against Spiller, but your argument here is dishonest. You neglected to mention that in his first two seasons, Bush had 161 receptions. That's a lot of catches.

And was an incredibly dangerous returner. And could break tackles.

Spiller is no Reggie Bush, but I do like him.

Again, I don't hate Spiller. I hate that the Bills used a #9 to draft a small, situational running back to play behind a weak OL, in order to "create excitement." In other words sell tickets.

I am not one to try and form a consensus. In fact, I like dialogue. I make the contention that Spiller was a dumb selection for this team. Not as bad as Whitner, but very bad.

One other thing....it IS exciting to watch a running back with speed to get through a hole and score a td. On his first touchdown, Spiller had a hole that a truck could have driven through. Levitre and believe it or not Rhinehart paved him a highway on that particular play. Fans can point to runs like this and justify neglecting the foundation of a football team. But a lot less people noticed who threw these key blocks. Those guys win games, but they don't really sell tickets.

Hopefully, the Bills will draft better and solve their problems.

Levitre is due a contract extension and remains their best lineman, despite playing 3 positions this season. If he gets the Pro Bowl nod he's due, the Bills better plan on paying him. I watched him stone his man on Spiller's run, opening up the lane you reference Bill.

I think it's funny that Buffalo has never become a playoff team, but they've got a lot of guys coming up for extensions, Jackson, Levitre, Stevie, and Byrd. Chandler is a secondary target, but JIm Overdorf is going to have his work cut out for him. Remember, he only negotiates one contract at a time, and only when Littmann opens up RW's piggy bank.

Levitre is due a contract extension and remains their best lineman, despite playing 3 positions this season. If he gets the Pro Bowl nod he's due, the Bills better plan on paying him. I watched him stone his man on Spiller's run, opening up the lane you reference Bill.

I think it's funny that Buffalo has never become a playoff team, but they've got a lot of guys coming up for extensions, Jackson, Levitre, Stevie, and Byrd. Chandler is a secondary target, but JIm Overdorf is going to have his work cut out for him. Remember, he only negotiates one contract at a time, and only when Littmann opens up RW's piggy bank.

Jackson, Levitre, and Byrd are all signed through 2012. Jackson can probably be had for an incentive-laden contract extension. He's not getting younger and RBs are largely fungible. Levitre is worth resigning now. He's their best lineman. Byrd? Who knows. Not worth re-signing early.

It's important that they not create a hole with Stevie Johnson leaving. That's the priority this off-season, followed by Levitre, who is at least already under contract. Then it's important to re-sign Urbik and Chandler. After that, the FA list has Lindell, who's been a reliable kicker, and no one else who matters. Maybe Rinehart?

http://buffalowdown.com/2011/12/15/buffalo-bills-2012-free-agents-complete-list/

News Flash. We just signed Pears to a contract extension last week.

Not likely we would extend a backup so I suspect we are looking at Hairston at LT and Pears at RT again. I think you will see them let Bell walk away. This is the consistent mode of operation for the Bills FO. (which is why it will prove to be the wrong thing to do).

Sadly, this seems VERY likely to be true. Even though Bell has played better than Pears or Hairston overall this season they will let him go and keep the other two. It's just the way the Bills roll.

Three good things i can say about the game are:

1) Spiller didn't suck. But have to temper than with the fact that it was Miami.

2) Can't remember his name, but whoever was returning kicks had a couple nice ones. Almost broke a couple of them.

3) It is over and I never, ever, have to watch that piece of **** game again.

Miami has a top 3 rush D in the NFL.

Yes. Miami was allowing just 89.9 yards rushing per game.

In spite of this, the Bills O-line had zero problem running the ball against them. In fact the Bills have run the ball well for the vast majority of the season. But some people think our offensive line sucks.

The explosive run where Bush went the distance right up the middle on our D ... that is what the Bills thought they were going to get from Spiller. Too bad for him that the Bills offense can't go against the Bills defense in games.

Not sure what you're saying here. Spiller played well and had no problems getting chunks of yardage against Miami both running and catching the ball.

The only person who has been able to contain Spiller lately is Chan.

1324254982[/url]' post='2339423']

1) How freaking smart is Simon? Seriously. He told us that Dwan Edwards could play. He did. Look at my thoughts from last week. Thank you SDS for providing us a site on which internet posters know more than the people who actually run this football team. And yes, D. Edwards played a very good game.

2) Bell sucked today. He flat out sucked. Please, disagree with me if you will. Let's discuss it. I make the contention that he was a bag of s&^t.

3) It was sad watching Fitz today.

4) The Grateful Dead is back due to John Kadlecik. Got my tickets for April 7, 2012 in Wallingford, Ct. if anyone cares. :)

youtube.com/watch?v=v4-2MqbyJgw

5) One more shout-out to Marcel Dareus. He's a great kid. :thumbsup:

6) Spiller had a great statistical game. If anyone wants to blast me for calling this a stupid pick, you really should do so. It's all cool.

7) I am proud to be a Bills Fan, and always will be. You will never read a post from me about giving up, etc. It's too late for this. I watched the game today with some great people. Diehard Bills fans and great friends. It's all cool.

8) They need to re-sign Urbik. Seriously, he is good. he belongs on our roster.

9) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3)- its been sad watching fitz 6/7 of the last weeks. Great job in the 2nd jets game fitz, that game may have made you 9 million bucks.

1324325661[/url]' post='2340511']

GO BILLS!!!

The last sentence says it all. I too, have lost all confidence in his play calling. Is it ego? Is it supreme confidence in his qb? I have no idea, but I'm not happy with his play calling and inability to stick with the run.

Not sure what you're saying here. Spiller played well and had no problems getting chunks of yardage against Miami both running and catching the ball.

The only person who has been able to contain Spiller lately is Chan.

You're not sure because of your confusing inference of "lately". Spiller did rip off a few good runs against Miami (where do I say he didn't?), but I'm not writing from such a myopic viewpoint.

I am talking about his career in total. He has not been a dynamic home run threat out on the field that defenses have to account for each and every play. Most of his career he has been useless and unused. You can blame Chan all you want for that, it doesn't really matter. Spiller has not been a dynamic game changer out of the backfield thus far in his career.

Jackson, Levitre, and Byrd are all signed through 2012. Jackson can probably be had for an incentive-laden contract extension. He's not getting younger and RBs are largely fungible. Levitre is worth resigning now. He's their best lineman. Byrd? Who knows. Not worth re-signing early.

It's important that they not create a hole with Stevie Johnson leaving. That's the priority this off-season, followed by Levitre, who is at least already under contract. Then it's important to re-sign Urbik and Chandler. After that, the FA list has Lindell, who's been a reliable kicker, and no one else who matters. Maybe Rinehart?

http://buffalowdown.com/2011/12/15/buffalo-bills-2012-free-agents-complete-list/

You don't wait until the off-season before a player's contract expires to re-up them. Nate Clements should have proven that quite well, because the cost only rises the closer it gets. The player just gets too much leverage as they approach UFA. I mentioned Levitre specifically, because he's been their rock on the OL for the past 2 seasons. Byrd's play has improved, although not to the level Levitre's has. And Jackson isn't signing anything incentive laden because he's proven he can be a workhorse all-purpose back in the league.

Forward planning is a hallmark of successful teams, especially re-signing players who are improving. It's up to the front office to identify those types and do it for less than it'll take when their deal is about to expire. Best example of this was Marv/Overdorf doing this in the summer of 2006 when Peters got a significant raise when they realized he'd be their starting RT.