A Few (Very Abbreviated) Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

You don't wait until the off-season before a player's contract expires to re-up them. Nate Clements should have proven that quite well, because the cost only rises the closer it gets. The player just gets too much leverage as they approach UFA. I mentioned Levitre specifically, because he's been their rock on the OL for the past 2 seasons. Byrd's play has improved, although not to the level Levitre's has. And Jackson isn't signing anything incentive laden because he's proven he can be a workhorse all-purpose back in the league.

Forward planning is a hallmark of successful teams, especially re-signing players who are improving. It's up to the front office to identify those types and do it for less than it'll take when their deal is about to expire. Best example of this was Marv/Overdorf doing this in the summer of 2006 when Peters got a significant raise when they realized he'd be their starting RT.

Re-signing the free agents is by far the most important thing that the Bills need to accomplish to turn things around.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't wait until the off-season before a player's contract expires to re-up them. Nate Clements should have proven that quite well, because the cost only rises the closer it gets. The player just gets too much leverage as they approach UFA. I mentioned Levitre specifically, because he's been their rock on the OL for the past 2 seasons. Byrd's play has improved, although not to the level Levitre's has. And Jackson isn't signing anything incentive laden because he's proven he can be a workhorse all-purpose back in the league.

Forward planning is a hallmark of successful teams, especially re-signing players who are improving. It's up to the front office to identify those types and do it for less than it'll take when their deal is about to expire. Best example of this was Marv/Overdorf doing this in the summer of 2006 when Peters got a significant raise when they realized he'd be their starting RT.

Steve Johnson and Chandler are the only contracts expiring after this season.

Big guaranteed money to Fred makes no sense. Economic reality.

WHAT??

Spend several years developing a 7th rounder into a serviceable (not elite) LT, and you'd rather sign an aging kicker??

My point wasn't necessarily to specifically compare him to the Bills very accurate and clutch kicker, who at age 34 could still play for 5 strong years. My point is that re-signing Bell is not a priority. They will probably do it because he's cheap, but let's not compare the Bell project's progress with the Peters LT project. Bell at best is a backup LT, and he only starts because the Bills have no one on the line with agile enough feet to play LT.

I like Bell the project BTW. He's one of the guys I hope they re-sign but if they don't, it's not a big loss.

Here is the complete list of FAs:

UFAs

Demetrius Bell

Scott Chandler

Tashard Choice

Reggie Corner

Andra Davis

Derek Hagan

Steve Johnson

Rian Lindell

Kirk Morrison

Roscoe Parrish

Dave Rayner

Bryan Scott

Reggie Torbor

RFAs

Chad Rinehart

Garrison Sanborn

Kraig Urbik

EFAs

Bruce Hall

I've highlighted in bold the ones that I think they should make every possible effort to re-sign.

Edited by vincec

I'll still ride with Chan but I really don't get what he is doing with Spiller. Spiller was tearing it up this game as he was in the Tennessee game. He should have had over 100 easily in both but Chan went away from him. Our D and Fitz have sucked lately so why not run the ball and control the clock?

They used to say the only person who could stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith. Not comparing him to Jordan at all, but Chan is the only one who can stop Spiller right now.

reggie who? thought he retired

I don't see Jackson going to go Shaun Alexander on this team now that he's 30. He doesn't have a lot of mileage on him for his age, though I wouldn't give him a large 5 year deal, but perhaps 3 years at 6-7M per. Contracts aren't for past performance, but what a player will provide in the future.