Fitz Has Possibly Had A Broken Rib Since Toronto?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my question: Aren't NFL teams required by league rule to report all football-related injuries? After all how are the odds makers supposed to do their jobs? If Fitz is really injured and the Bills didn't report it, could they be fined?

PTR

Yes

I also would like to say that I agree with one post on here on how Fitz has not stepped into some of his throws. I think on some of his deep balls this has been an issue. However, I have theorized that this is becoming common place in the NFL to preserve the health of a starting quarterback. I have seen both Peyton and Eli Manning do the same thing when there is a hit coming. I would not be surprised if this way of thrwoing is something that is now practiced by quarterbacks. Stepping into a throw when a 300 pounder is about to nail you at full speed will shorten seasons and careers which will hurt teams. Just ask Trent Edwards after he stepped into the pass to James Hardy against Arizona and was absolutely clobbered by Wilson I believe. He was concussed and never was the same. I think it is smart to practice these throws while moving backwards, to severely lessen the impact of some hits. Losing the starting QB is devastating to a team and I would not be surprised if this way of throwing when a QB is expecting impact is being taught and becoming a trend in the NFL.

If Fitz ends up living up to his contract, most of the people on this board better be ready to eat a lot of crow. Fitz is currently projected to make the pro bowl and is beating the guy in 4th by quite a bit. Fitz is currenty 5th in the league in completion percentage with 65.7%. Granted, we have a short passing game which helps a bit but it's not like he's grossly inaccurate by any stretch. Lots of Bills fans=bipolarly stupid. I'd like to look at a lot of your posts when we were 5-2 hahaha.

Yea for real way to many Fitz bashers in buffalo. I gave our fans too much credit over the years apparantly. if they think Fitz is bad they don't know too much.

Just talked to my buddy who is good friend's with Fitz's doctor - take it for what it's worth but he said he has had a broken rib since Toronto.....

This might be the case (thanks to London Fletcher), but Chan should not have dropped five games because of it. How can Fitz with cracked ribs be better the next guy in line is beyond me...the coaching staff should have an adequate backup at QB.

Edited by LGB

Just talked to my buddy who is good friend's with Fitz's doctor - take it for what it's worth but he said he has had a broken rib since Toronto.....

BULL... He has a terrible case of tenmillionaseasonitis.

Edited by Azucho98

There is one thing most of us wouldn't mind catching. So maybe the f-magic has nothing left to play for?

Can you folks kindly keep in mind that Fitz has, not just a Harvard degree but a degree in Economics from Harvard?

He's also personable and competitive.

That's a Wall Street Trifecta.

He did a successful internship before pro scouts starting calling.

Fitz is one of the few professional football players that realistically could be making more money by now had he NOT pursued pro football.

He isn't back there trying to make a play, getting smacked in the ribs by 300 lb gorillas 10 times a game because he hopes someday to hit the big bucks he could never achieve by any other means. He's back there because he loves to play football.

Why folks conceptualize that must mean he doesn't give a f*** since he signed a contract, and can't perceive any other reasons for a fall off in play

(something really farfetched like, oh,....3rd string left tackle? 2nd string center? #1 WR with hamstring injury unable to practice for weeks? 2nd string WR corps?), is a continuing mystery to me.

Do y'all just like to project how you'd act in like circumstance or what?

Edited by Hopeful

There is one thing most of us wouldn't mind catching. So maybe the f-magic has nothing left to play for?

Strange how he started to suck right after he signed the big deal - the dude can't throw a long ball anymore. Elite QB's hit that pass he overthrew to Brad Smith (by about 15 yards) 9 times out of 10. $hitspatrick may make it 1 out of 10.

This thread is right on. Doctors don't know normal people. They live in pods, and are not permitted to return to the pods with their voice boxes. Especially surgeons.

A few things are made fairly apparent in this thread:

1. There are very few of you that know any doctors

2. Probably even fewer have ever had a broken rib

That was exactly what I though happened when I saw the replay of the Fletcher hit.

On second thought, a physical limitation as a result of a huge hit he took, directly to his ribs, by an NFL linebacker is pretty far fetched. It is way more likely that when he got the contract that he just stopped caring. You can tell because everybody else on the team is healthy and playing great. It was like when he got the contract that he just didn't feel like getting over the 5 dropped passes per game.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

I don't care.....I played my entire senior bball season with broken ribs

!@#$ing A, buddy! If you can play high school basketball with a broken rib, why can't somebody play a little NFL football. You are a true testament to perseverance, and an inspiration to all.

This thread is right on. Doctors don't know normal people. They live in pods, and are not permitted to return to the pods with their voice boxes. Especially surgeons.

That was exactly what I though happened when I saw the replay of the Fletcher hit.

On second thought, a physical limitation as a result of a huge hit he took, directly to his ribs, by an NFL linebacker is pretty far fetched. It is way more likely that when he got the contract that he just stopped caring. You can tell because everybody else on the team is healthy and playing great. It was like when he got the contract that he just didn't feel like getting over the 5 dropped passes per game.

!@#$ing A, buddy! If you can play high school basketball with a broken rib, why can't somebody play a little NFL football. You are a true testament to perseverance, and an inspiration to all.

People are just lashing out.

Really? I work with surgeons every day. Most of them, at least the really good ones, don't have a lot of time to sit back and watch football games. Between surgical rotations, meetings and rounds they're kinda busy. They tend to hang out with their peers and when they're not, they're usually absorbed with family stuff.

That said, they don't spend their free time talking to internet message board goobers about their patients health.

But by all means, press on.......

Can you folks kindly keep in mind that Fitz has, not just a Harvard degree but a degree in Economics from Harvard?

He's also personable and competitive.

That's a Wall Street Trifecta.

He did a successful internship before pro scouts starting calling.

Fitz is one of the few professional football players that realistically could be making more money by now had he NOT pursued pro football.

He isn't back there trying to make a play, getting smacked in the ribs by 300 lb gorillas 10 times a game because he hopes someday to hit the big bucks he could never achieve by any other means. He's back there because he loves to play football.

Why folks conceptualize that must mean he doesn't give a f*** since he signed a contract, and can't perceive any other reasons for a fall off in play

(something really farfetched like, oh,....3rd string left tackle? 2nd string center? #1 WR with hamstring injury unable to practice for weeks? 2nd string WR corps?), is a continuing mystery to me.

Do y'all just like to project how you'd act in like circumstance or what?

I think Fitz will be fine. Not convinced he had a broken rib though.

There is no way he would be making more money on Wall Street than he is now. Armed with an undergrad degree from Harvard, he would be one amongst thousands of recent Ivy Leaguers looking for a top job. Maybe with a Harvard MBA, he would have enough alumni connections to land a decent job, but unless you imagined him being a high ranking financial corp officer by now, or a manager in a hedge fund, there is no way he would come close to earning what he might if he fulfills his contract with the Bills.

Really? I work with surgeons every day. Most of them, at least the really good ones, don't have a lot of time to sit back and watch football games. Between surgical rotations, meetings and rounds they're kinda busy. They tend to hang out with their peers and when they're not, they're usually absorbed with family stuff.

That said, they don't spend their free time talking to internet message board goobers about their patients health.

But by all means, press on.......

Yup, message boards, that's my job...actually, I work for a sports marketing company so that is how the conversation came up. Some of you people are hysterical with this Dr. thing, it sounds as though they all work for the FBI reading this thing - ay yay yay

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

Fitz's problem is that he has stopped the off season strength training that he used to get his arm up to par.

During the preseason and first few weeks his passes were crisp and accurate but each week he has gotten worse as his accuracy has gone down and he is using all his might again to wing the ball. Besides his poor throwing the other obvious sign he quit training is that his arm looks like a 13 yr old girl again. Whereas this summer although he didn't have guns you could tell they were a bit bigger and more muscular.

Fitz get back in the weight room.

Fitz's problem is that he has stopped the off season strength training that he used to get his arm up to par.

During the preseason and first few weeks his passes were crisp and accurate but each week he has gotten worse as his accuracy has gone down and he is using all his might again to wing the ball. Besides his poor throwing the other obvious sign he quit training is that his arm looks like a 13 yr old girl again. Whereas this summer although he didn't have guns you could tell they were a bit bigger and more muscular.

Answer

Gonna completely disagree with you there, no way he's lost so much strength that he can't even throw the ball anymore, he's never been accurate. I think he's become far too conservative and its hurting him. He's still a gamer and I love that, but he's lacking those throws like the one to David Nelson against Oakland, I think our offensive line's recent ineptitude has him throwing with less of a step than he used to.

Fitz IS regressing. Why?

IMO it's not one thing but here are some reasons in no particular order:

1) Injuries:

You don't lose 2 of your top 3 offensive tackles for 3 weeks and your starting center without if adversely affecting the offense line.

You don't lose 4 of the top 6 presumed wide receivers (no matter how much you think these guys are unproven or suck) without it adversely affecting the offense. These are wideouts you develop a chemistry and timing with. When injuries happen to this degree, it will have a significant negative effect. Other guys step up who are unfamiliar with the offense and the quarterback. Timing and precision are lost. This is a huge handicap.

You don't lose a player like Fred Jackson, an MVP Candidate and a player who was on pace to challenge NFL records for yards from scrimmage without it having a significant negative effect.

2) Coaching: It seems like there is an over-reliance on the passing game. Fitz is not a big, strapping guy. Last year they sat him out the last two weeks in part because he was so beat up. He presently appears beaten up and worn down to me. I believe he's playing with injuries.

With all the injuries to the O-line and the wide receivers, and with Fitz not being the type of quarterback to put a team on his shoulders, why is Gailey throwing the ball so much? If you look at the situation, to me it calls for doing just the opposite: placing greater emphasis on the running game. Even when a team is down a few scores, I believe you have to stay patient. The offense has been run with a greater sense of desperation which is manifested in an over-reliance on the passing game.

Gonna completely disagree with you there, no way he's lost so much strength that he can't even throw the ball anymore, he's never been accurate. I think he's become far too conservative and its hurting him. He's still a gamer and I love that, but he's lacking those throws like the one to David Nelson against Oakland, I think our offensive line's recent ineptitude has him throwing with less of a step than he used to.

Have you worked out before? After one week strength starts fading so 3 months latter any strength he gained is now long gone. He had plenty throws that were way off target yesterday that he was making earlier in the year and that is because his arm is the wet noodle he had last year that was inaccurate and weak.

Look at Tebow that guy looks like a bodybuilder and throws the ball much harder than he did in college and is throwing it better now that he is getting used to his new throwing motion.

How can you run when CJ Spiller is your only option, I can't stand to continue to watch him not make decisions and end up getting tackled for a gain of two. Find the hole, and hit it fast and hard (that's what she said).

Spiller is not our only option.. and when you only run the ball like 10 times a game you aren't going to be very successful.

Fitz's real problem is that he made a deal with the bad George Burns.

It's possible. His arm is not that of an NFL starter and he really has to wind up to get anything on the ball. I actually think he might be injured and perhaps he is unable to lift. Could be arm, elbow, wrist, sholder or ribs.

I'm sure injuries to Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Donald Jones and Scott Chandler have absolutely NOTHING to do with his regression, so it must be that he has stopped working out.

It's possible. His arm is not that of an NFL starter and he really has to wind up to get anything on the ball. I actually think he might be injured and perhaps he is unable to lift. Could be arm, elbow, wrist, sholder or ribs.

Fitz had that splint on his finger for a few weeks too.

I think he's all beat up and worn down.

I love Fitz, but he's not exactly the prototypical NFL specimen for a QB.

On top of being dinged up, part of his inaccuracy probably does stem from physical limitations.

That said, he's the best quarterback we've had in here in many years… which is kind of a sad statement.

Injuries to offensive teammates played a role.

Defenses figuring out Gailey, Fitz, and the lack of downfield speed played a role, too. You can only scheme around mediocre talents like Fitz and his receivers for so long. We basically got a preview of what was to come as early as Game #4 against Cincinnati. Remember how bad and weak-armed the Bengals made Fitz look? We just didn't play many defenses like them early on.

NFL defenses in general have also gotten better as the season progressed. It seems the shortened training camp affected defenses more than offenses.

I think the real question is why doesn't Fitz have any WRs to throw to? For the last few weeks he has been throwing to his #1 SJ, his #6 David Nelson and his wild cat QB Brad Smith. WR's #2 through #5 have been traded away or are currently on IR and started dropping from day 1. It's not like we had a great WR core to begin with. A little thing called chemistry is difficult to develop with the revolving door or crap he has to throw to. Might be nice if the offensive line could provide a little help now and again.

Have you worked out before? After one week strength starts fading so 3 months latter any strength he gained is now long gone. He had plenty throws that were way off target yesterday that he was making earlier in the year and that is because his arm is the wet noodle he had last year that was inaccurate and weak.

Look at Tebow that guy looks like a bodybuilder and throws the ball much harder than he did in college and is throwing it better now that he is getting used to his new throwing motion.

I'm willing to bet the players lift moderately during the season to keep their strength up. Cause if they don't, the entire NFL is doin it wrong.

Reaching.... I know everyone wants it to be some mystical secret once revealed can be easily rectified. But it's not.

There is no big secret reason for the state of the team. It is simple and obvious.

Their best o lineman by a mile, best offensive player who was breaking big plays week after week, their best pass rusher who was getting pressure in a 4 man rush... best d lineman, #2 and #3 best wr all got knocked out for the year and the team has little depth.

This d was pourous before SM and KW got sidelined before Wilson's injury and troups back (solid depth if in a rotation with kw)

Add all the injuries to teams figuring out the counter to chan's smoke, mirrors and over achievers, et voila-> epic failure