Bills Could Avoid Most of Fitz's New Deal

judman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills may be regretting the decision to give quarterback Ryan Fitzpatick a six-year, $59 million deal.

If they are, they can walk away from nearly $49 million of it after the season.

Per a league source, the Bills could trade or cut Fitzpatrick before the seventh day of the 2012 league year and owe him nothing further than the $3.22 million base salary he was already due to earn in 2011 and the $10 million signing bonus he was paid upon inking the new deal last month.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/21/bills-could-avoid-most-of-fitzpatricks-new-deal/

I never understood the timetable they set for themselves to give him a new deal. They went into the season paying him backup money and just as his value was at the up-most peak, you give him 60 Million without seeing how the entire season played out.

What would the market really have been after the season for him?? Higher than 60$ Mil for a career backup? Doubtful....

Edited by kobe808lak

I never understood the timetable they set for themselves to give him a new deal. They went into the season paying him backup money and just as his value was at the up-most peak, you give him 60 Million without seeing how the entire season played out.

What would the market really have been after the season for him?? Higher than 60$ Mil for a career backup? Doubtful....

If he had played at his previous level, yes.

Regardless, if this article is accurate, they did not give him $60 million. So it is a lot easier to understand.

If he proves himself to be worthy of a new contract, yes. Especially when you are at that point competing with other teams for the contract.

With this info the contract actually looks good. It gives the Bills the ability to walk away, without the risk of having to pay him more than $60 million had he proved himself. With that said, its time to draft a franchise QB. I like the one from Baylor.

Get OLB/DE in free agency (we have a TON of money to spend as we are 20 below the cap and there are some good ones out there), draft one WR, FA another, draft more D-line and O-line. Sign a cheap veteran backup QB like Burnell, etc.

Listen...it's not Fitz's fault the entire o-line is either on IR or perpetually injured - some of us saw this coming before the season even began and clamored for Nix to sign some veteran (or any) o-line back-up for depth, in anticipation of the injuries that were inevitable during a 16-game season. (That said, I like Arizona's Nick Foles in round 4).

Listen...it's not Fitz's fault the entire o-line is either on IR or perpetually injured - some of us saw this coming before the season even began and clamored for Nix to sign some veteran (or any) o-line back-up for depth, in anticipation of the injuries that were inevitable during a 16-game season. (That said, I like Arizona's Nick Foles in round 4).

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/files/2009/11/Nick-Foles-TC-253x300.jpg

http://www.besoccer.com/jacksonville-jaguars-quarterback-trent-edwards-watches-the-video-screen-after-throwing-an-interception-against-the-houston-texans-in-the-fourth-quarter-of-an-nfl-football-game-sunday-jan-rf_108877.jpg

Does Foles like Dakota Fanning?

I was not happy when the Bills signed him to an extension. That being said if the Bills walk away from this contract, they can forget having any decent free agent come to Buffalo. (Yes I realize that most won't come anyways) Merriman and Barnett are starting to change that thinking. But if they commit to a contract and void after four months, NFL Players will avoid this place like the plague.

Robert Griffith will probably be a good NFL QB, but we will be drafting in the Top 15 possibility the Top 10 do we want the Bills to take the fourth best QB in the Draft at that position? This assumes that Luck, Matt Barkley and Landry Jones will all be gone.

I hate feeling this way, cause I'm typically not one of the people on here who changes their views and opinions based on the direction of the wind like some of you bozos, but I'm relieved to hear this about the contract. I really like Fitz, and I'm glad we gave him the reigns this season, but he's really, REALLY disappointed me the last few weeks. I'm just not ready to hitch the wagon to him for the long term.