A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

We understand you don't like Spiller. We get it. I'm sure you would rather have Bulaga starting at tackle, and right about now I would too. But Spiller opened with a nice play at WR, not his position, as well as an important punt return. He is not going to get a lot of touches in the backfield with Freddie playing above EVERYBODY's expectations, but that won't be forever, and injuries happen. Like Whitner at #8, he is never going to live up to his draft position in the eyes of many, but I think he is going to be a good football player, and am glad he is on our team.

The first month of the season was lots of fun, especially beating New England, and the last month has been pathetic. But we are a rebuilding football team without depth, and 5-5 is not the end of the world. We just have to find a way to make it 8-8 or 9-7 and not 5-11 or 6-10, and that isn't going to be easy how we are playing.

We are a young team without depth, and we have lost our best DL, our best OL, our best LB for the season. Injuries happen to everybody, but the bottom of our roster is too weak to pick us up.

Clearly our D has also been a wreck at a coaching level, and I think Edwards leaving and Wanny taking over as soon as possible, with a possibly return to the 4-3, would be a good thing. I like Sheppard and Williams and Dareus, but we are just not that talented and not playing that well, and I don't see us getting it fixed in the next six.

Our offense needs to be able to adjust much better, and I've been very disappointed with Chan and Fitz not being able to find a way to get more done the last few weeks. But I think they will, and we will get back to scoring points.

I said before the season that this is an 8-8 team, and good breaks could take that to 10-6 and bad breaks to 6-10, and we have had good breaks early and bad breaks lately, and are right on track for that. I really wanted this 8-8 team to find a way to 10-6, and I'm now concerned we won't get to 8-8 and will underachieve for the season as a whole, but we are an 8-8 team at our essence, and to let a few good games make us think we are a 13-3 team or a few bad weeks have us feeling like a 3-13 team is pretty silly.

Go Bills.

Why do you suppose the bolded parts are true?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too me, Spencer Johnson epitomizes how incompetent this defense is. I mean, I thought Kris Kelsay at OLB last year was brutal, but when SPENCER JOHNSON is STARTING for you.......you suck. He is a marginal NFL backup 4-3 DT......having him starting as an OLB is astounding. I hate to say "only the Bills" but what other team out there does things like this?

Astounding no doubt. When I saw Johnson listed as a starting LB I winced in pain. It beats me as to how a profesional team could allow this to happen.

1.How about calling a pass play that isn't a screen, slant. Why don't you throw a bomb or two in the first quarter. How about a 10-15 yard pattern, that would be nice.

2.The only problem with the defense is there isn't one pass rusher on the team. When Chris Kelsey is your guy, we have a problem. EVERY DAM PASS PLAY BOTH OLB'S get Blocked by just one guy, and sometimes that guy is a back.

3.Is it really that hard to snap a football. Aren't they paid to due this??

4.Stevie Johnson is a waste.

We are a young team without depth, but on the other hand we let Incognito go and certainly could have used him as a possible starter but certainly would have been using him now. We made no effort to keep him and he looked good and nasty playing for Miami

The Lee Evans trade was understandable given that it looked like he would not necessarily start, but in retrospect it would have been wise to keep him for depth.

Johnson was not physically able to play. He couldn't reach and couldn't bring down passes thrown to him.

The ton of defensive help and Anthony Davis at OT look pretty good as we look at Spiller these days. Bad choice given the very good alternatives.

Fitz is simply not to blame. Balls were bouncing off receivers, and there was no protection.

Nine wins is now a stretch. I still hold that nine wins should be the criteria as to whether Chan and Buddy stay, although these injuries may justify a small allowance.

Astounding no doubt. When I saw Johnson listed as a starting LB I winced in pain. It beats me as to how a profesional team could allow this to happen.

I noticed not one mention of coaching on your thoughts list. Wouldn't Johnson starting at OLB have been a coaching decision? Why is Moats not getting any time?

Why does the entire 53 man roster look so completely lost? Why are they putting players in positions that are against their strengths?

I know we need players in here, but the coaching is abysmal to the point where I don't want Gailey as our HC in 2012. Let's get Perry in here or Rob Ryan. Today's players no longer relate to old school coaches.

There is a reason why this franchise is systemically a failure. It has little to do with individual players and everything to do with the caliber of ownership and the business model that this franchise is modeled on. The cutting of Hangartner, and prior to that Langston Walker, epitomizes the small minded nickle and dime operation of this franchise. Neither player is considered upper tier players. It can be argued that both players, especially Walker, were over payed. But there is no doubt that as starters or even backups they were serviceable players. They both got cut for financial reasons leaving their respenctive OLs in a precariously thin reserve position. So when the inevitable happens,(injuries), the lines have to be dramatically reshuffled and become inadequate.

While there is a lot of attention and scathing commentary directed at Spiller the real issue is the organization's inability to evaluate talent. Troup is a high second round pick. He is simply a JAG. Carrington is not especially impactfull as a player. That year's draft class, Buddy's first, looks to be a dismal failure. Was it smart to pay a premium for Smith and not use him as a speciality player or wouldn't it have been more wise to keep that salary chunk to retain Hangartner.

I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that no matter how much one wants this franchise to succeed it is not going to happen as long as Ralph and his Detroit business advisors are involved. This franchise continues to be run as a second rate football organization and a niche business model. There should be no surprise that many high quality football people had little interest in working for such a stifling operation. So there should be no surprise you get the results that you get. For me it has gotten oppressively tiresome.

Edited by JohnC

7) Agree. Aaron Williams needs more time. Once we get eliminated from the playoffs he should be moved to starter.

Jets eliminated bills from playoffs 3 games ago by demonstrating how easy it is to throw against this D and shut down buf's passing game.

You can wait for the math to catch up, but this team may not even reach .500 and does not appear even close to understanding what to fix much less how.

I disagree. I think if Fitz had a solid OL and receivers who would actually jump up for the ball, he would be looking really good. The first pass to Spiller in the end zone showed no concern or interest in going for it. Where is the desire to win, or to even play?

Fitz is just fine, counting that he has absolutely nothing to work with.

There were "10 Drops" in that game. If you go back and look. There are at least 4 where the intended target has to jump and can only get finger tips on it.

2 more drops were the receivers getting blasted due to a late throw into double coverage.

I place 90% of this game on Fitz shoulders adn his not being able to hit any target consistently.

There were "10 Drops" in that game. If you go back and look. There are at least 4 where the intended target has to jump and can only get finger tips on it.

2 more drops were the receivers getting blasted due to a late throw into double coverage.

I place 90% of this game on Fitz shoulders adn his not being able to hit any target consistently.

+1

Except I don't think he was bracing. I think he thought he was walking in.

Agreed, not giving CJ a pass on this but had McIntyre actually hit someone instead of whiffing on his block, CJ would have walked into the endzone. Expecting mistakes comes with reps and I can't believe they didn't give him more reps at the end of the game in garbage time to try and see what he is made of.

The first in goal was a bad play call.. Why do you have McIntyre.. shuffle to the right outside and try to sneak CJ up the middle? Heck have the guy motion in like he did against the Pats and blow away the nose tackle. If you watch that play there were 3 Dolphins ready to hit CJ on that play.. .. Bad Design .. Bad execution

Agreed, not giving CJ a pass on this but had McIntyre actually hit someone instead of whiffing on his block, CJ would have walked into the endzone. Expecting mistakes comes with reps and I can't believe they didn't give him more reps at the end of the game in garbage time to try and see what he is made of.

The first in goal was a bad play call.. Why do you have McIntyre.. shuffle to the right outside and try to sneak CJ up the middle? Heck have the guy motion in like he did against the Pats and blow away the nose tackle. If you watch that play there were 3 Dolphins ready to hit CJ on that play.. .. Bad Design .. Bad execution

Agreed. Bills o line is big and strong. Pound the ball that close. Have spiller leap the pile or toss a sprint way outside using his elite speed to get to the corner...

Perhaps it is the person in me that enjoys pain.....but I am actually hoping that Fred Jackson does not play this week and Spiller is the featured back....

although

I dont have much hope of it because when Jackson went out of the game on Sunday our FIFTH ROUNDER was taking the handoffs.....

What.....the......F

Jets eliminated bills from playoffs 3 games ago by demonstrating how easy it is to throw against this D and shut down buf's passing game.

You can wait for the math to catch up, but this team may not even reach .500 and does not appear even close to understanding what to fix much less how.

Our D has done a good job of demonstrating how easy it is to throw against all by itself, since last season. Teams didn't need any help from the Jets to figure that out.

The Jets DID however give teams a blueprint for stopping our offense.

Unfortunately, I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head by saying that, while we may not be mathematically eliminated, making the playoffs is a stretch, at best.

GO BILLS!!!

Perhaps it is the person in me that enjoys pain.....but I am actually hoping that Fred Jackson does not play this week and Spiller is the featured back....

although

I dont have much hope of it because when Jackson went out of the game on Sunday our FIFTH ROUNDER was taking the handoffs.....

What.....the......F

It's because Spiller is worthless. Anyone watching should be able to see that. Punt returns and kick returns included. He's awful and plays like a scared little girl.

Did not like Marv Leavy the GM but Marv Leavy Head coach was excellent. Marv Leavy would never take a good to excellent player and play him out of position. Keep your good to excellent player at his position and find another player who plays the position of need to play the postion. Otherwise you have weakened TWO postions. I remember situations during Marvs tenure when injuries occurred and switching players to new positions was suggested and he refused. I think for a few years FOOTBALL people actually ran things at one bills drive and this allowed Leavy to make sane football moves. Unfortunately for Nix/Gailley they are working in "hooterville" where Ralph Wilsons money mafia people run show and football people must make decisons based on money peoples telling them what to do...look forward to day when Wilson mafia no longer make football decisons and one bills drive is no longer located in "hooterville".

It's because Spiller is worthless. Anyone watching should be able to see that. Punt returns and kick returns included. He's awful and plays like a scared little girl.

I never questioned the selection of Spiller. I've always believed in drafting the BPA, especially for teams without a lot of good players.

I've also been more than willing to be patient with him. Sometimes it takes a season or two to get acclimated. I've seen it with great backs in the past. Given his athletic talent, I was more than willing to let him develop, especially with a good back like Freddy giving us the luxury.

I had assumed his biggest problem was his impatience as a runner. That he needed to slow down, let the play develop, and then explode.

Until yesterday.

After that miserable attempt at the goal line, where he clearly didn't DEMAND to get in, to take what was his and instead turtled and got stopped, I'm afraid his biggest problem all along is that he's simply afraid to engage. An RB simply can't operate like that. All the physical gifts in the world don't matter if he's scared of using them.

It'll be a long time before he gets out of my dog house.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9