A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never questioned the selection of Spiller. I've always believed in drafting the BPA, especially for teams without a lot of good players.

I've also been more than willing to be patient with him. Sometimes it takes a season or two to get acclimated. I've seen it with great backs in the past. Given his athletic talent, I was more than willing to let him develop, especially with a good back like Freddy giving us the luxury.

I had assumed his biggest problem was his impatience as a runner. That he needed to slow down, let the play develop, and then explode.

Until yesterday.

After that miserable attempt at the goal line, where he clearly didn't DEMAND to get in, to take what was his and instead turtled and got stopped, I'm afraid his biggest problem all along is that he's simply afraid to engage. An RB simply can't operate like that. All the physical gifts in the world don't matter if he's scared of using them.

It'll be a long time before he gets out of my dog house.

GO BILLS!!!

RB's need touches.. I don't think he is afraid to engage, I remember his pre-season games last year hit the hole hard and made people miss, his problem is that he is behind a better player right now and he lacks confidence. Coming from college he was the main guy, now I see a player that questions himself everytime he touches the ball. He will get better, and if he leaves he will tear up our defense on the ground.

I place 90% of this game on Fitz shoulders adn his not being able to hit any target consistently.

Well, yeah. That has been Fitz his entire career. Why he has been a career backup until now.

He has that awkward, inaccurate semi-sidearm delivery that he has to throw as hard as he can to get it 15 yards on a line.

This should not be news to anyone who watches the Bills regularly. Anyone who thinks Fitz has or ever had a remote chance of being a franchise QB is delusional in my opinion.

He is what he is, a very durable, very smart, very good backup QB.

Although looking only at his contract I can see how one might think otherwise.

RB's need touches.. I don't think he is afraid to engage, I remember his pre-season games last year hit the hole hard and made people miss, his problem is that he is behind a better player right now and he lacks confidence. Coming from college he was the main guy, now I see a player that questions himself everytime he touches the ball. He will get better, and if he leaves he will tear up our defense on the ground.

I believed all of that wholeheartedly until yesterday.

GO BILLS!!!

We understand you don't like Spiller. We get it. I'm sure you would rather have Bulaga starting at tackle, and right about now I would too. But Spiller opened with a nice play at WR, not his position, as well as an important punt return. He is not going to get a lot of touches in the backfield with Freddie playing above EVERYBODY's expectations, but that won't be forever, and injuries happen. Like Whitner at #8, he is never going to live up to his draft position in the eyes of many, but I think he is going to be a good football player, and am glad he is on our team.

The first month of the season was lots of fun, especially beating New England, and the last month has been pathetic. But we are a rebuilding football team without depth, and 5-5 is not the end of the world. We just have to find a way to make it 8-8 or 9-7 and not 5-11 or 6-10, and that isn't going to be easy how we are playing.

We are a young team without depth, and we have lost our best DL, our best OL, our best LB for the season. Injuries happen to everybody, but the bottom of our roster is too weak to pick us up.

Clearly our D has also been a wreck at a coaching level, and I think Edwards leaving and Wanny taking over as soon as possible, with a possibly return to the 4-3, would be a good thing. I like Sheppard and Williams and Dareus, but we are just not that talented and not playing that well, and I don't see us getting it fixed in the next six.

Our offense needs to be able to adjust much better, and I've been very disappointed with Chan and Fitz not being able to find a way to get more done the last few weeks. But I think they will, and we will get back to scoring points.

I said before the season that this is an 8-8 team, and good breaks could take that to 10-6 and bad breaks to 6-10, and we have had good breaks early and bad breaks lately, and are right on track for that. I really wanted this 8-8 team to find a way to 10-6, and I'm now concerned we won't get to 8-8 and will underachieve for the season as a whole, but we are an 8-8 team at our essence, and to let a few good games make us think we are a 13-3 team or a few bad weeks have us feeling like a 3-13 team is pretty silly.

Go Bills.

This is the most reasonable post(one of the few with ANY reason) that I have seen so far today. Way to go.

I believed all of that wholeheartedly until yesterday.

GO BILLS!!!

And he will get more carries. It's a situation once again of where yet another Bills first round pick was drafted WAY too soon.

And btw, the "bpa" theory annoys me to a degree. People are still calling Spiller the bpa. It is no obvious that he was not, and it's up to our professional staff to identify who is the bpa.

That said, please read what "Dick Drawn" posted in this thread. When a marginal backup DT is playing OLB, your football team has serious problems. I am just a fan posting on a message board, but I can tell you that this team needs some Alabama LBs and some offensive tackles.

Pass rush and blocking have been their problem for more than a decade.

Amazing. :blink:

That said, please read what "Dick Drawn" posted in this thread. When a marginal backup DT is playing OLB, your football team has serious problems. I am just a fan posting on a message board, but I can tell you that this team needs some Alabama LBs and some offensive tackles.

The only way they solve this in the short term is through a great draft and opening up the pursestrings. Part one is a 50/50 proposition. Part two is unrealizable because of Ralph Wilson or the people he has hired to run the team from a financial standpoint.

And he will get more carries. It's a situation once again of where yet another Bills first round pick was drafted WAY too soon.

And btw, the "bpa" theory annoys me to a degree. People are still calling Spiller the bpa. It is no obvious that he was not, and it's up to our professional staff to identify who is the bpa.

I'm still holding out hope that Spiller can turn it around but after that chicken-sh*t effort on the goal line yesterday, I need a LOT of convincing.

As in our past debates, we'll agree to disagree on BPA as a drafting strategy. No way Spiller was BPA but that's in RETROSPECT. He was at the time, at least according to most of the pundits. But what do they know half the time?

Agree wholeheartedly that pass rush is our major issue. It has served to expose a marginally talented (at best) secondary and poor pass defense by our LBs. Speaking of which, aside from Barnett and Shephard, they can sh*tcan the entire lot of them right now, especially the OLBs but only after they put Spencer, Carrington, and Kelsay back at their natural positions. But doing that puts Moats and Batten on the field more often and I don't think that's a good thing, either.

Hope we draft those players from Alabama. If for no other reason, Dareus will have some good company to commiserate with next season.

GO BILLS!!!

Regarding Johnson at lb, the amazing thing to me is that one focus for nix was to try to get bigger/stronger overall on d - and playing carrington and Johnson there haves been

attempts to do that, but there it has done nothing to stop teams from.just beating the crap out of us physically .

regarding spiller - I Don' t think I've ever seen a back go down easier. if the stat was kept he'd lead the league in tackled by foot/ankle/shoelace

Regarding Johnson at lb, the amazing thing to me is that one focus for nix was to try to get bigger/stronger overall on d - and playing carrington and Johnson there haves been

attempts to do that, but there it has done nothing to stop teams from.just beating the crap out of us physically .

regarding spiller - I Don' t think I've ever seen a back go down easier. if the stat was kept he'd lead the league in tackled by foot/ankle/shoelace

Because speed, technique and strength is so important in the NFL. The strategy of just getting big at evey position was flawed. Jaguars tried that and they stink.

Agreed on spiller. Put so much as a fingertip on him and he goes down.

I was in the stands on the Bills side. Nelson was sick and missed last Thursday's practice. After he took that bad hit he was on the sidelines vomiting and keeping a wet towel on his head. He was definitely under the weather and off his game.

I was in the stands on the Bills side. Nelson was sick and missed last Thursday's practice. After he took that bad hit he was on the sidelines vomiting and keeping a wet towel on his head. He was definitely under the weather and off his game.

Actually, I am glad to hear this and I thank you for posting this. :) I have praised him up and down all season and he has been a bright spot for this football team.

I wasn't too impressed by his antics at the Dallas game but so be it. Let's hope he gets well and goes back to work. The Bills need him now and in the future to have a fighting chance at respectability, let alone being good.

Actually, I am glad to hear this and I thank you for posting this. :) I have praised him up and down all season and he has been a bright spot for this football team.

I wasn't too impressed by his antics at the Dallas game but so be it. Let's hope he gets well and goes back to work. The Bills need him now and in the future to have a fighting chance at respectability, let alone being good.

Nelson has continually impressed me also. If we get a speedy WR next year, the combination of Barn Burner - StevieJ - DNelson will be virtually unstoppable. It will also be time to say bye to Parrish and relegate Jones to PS.

Nelson has continually impressed me also. If we get a speedy WR next year, the combination of Barn Burner - StevieJ - DNelson will be virtually unstoppable. It will also be time to say bye to Parrish and relegate Jones to PS.

FIC, he gets open. So does a healthy SJ. Our needs are SO clear to me (this doesn't make me correct btw). A speed wr would be great. I am all for this, but we need pass rush and pass protection first and foremost.

As bad as it looks right now, this team can be good imo.

Statistically speaking, this current string of consecutive blow-out losses is unsustainable...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to win a game." - Chan Gailey

14 and 5 baby!!!!! B-)

Believe it or not, this statement gives me the most hope of anything that has been said or posted by anybody in relation to turning things arounds. NFL teams just don't get continuously blown out not matter who they are. Not even the 0-14 Bucs or 0-16 Lions got blown out week after week.

Hopefully the people that matter are impressed as well. It would suck to spend more 1st/2nd round picks on WR to replace Evans, Parrish, and Hardy.