Colin Cowherd Show "I don't like Buffalo..

Fair enough. He does well in the ratings, so he must be entertaining somebody. I really don't have a problem with him not being a total sports guy, or having an turned up nose opinion about things, but he is just, to me, a very uninteresting person. His personality is just dull, to grating. He reaches far, for what I imagine he thinks, are witty analogys, that just don't work. I have never heard Malcolm Gladwell on there, that might be interesting. However, if I want to hear something a bit more heady, I would turn away from sports talk radio.

I agree about Dan Patrick...I once heard him talk for the better part of an hour about the tie he wore on Letterman the previous night. But, he can talk sports (the reason I am listening, after all). What I like least about his show, is all of the producers that share air time with him...it seems like, as you said, some big frat party, and we are not always privy to the jokes, unless we listen every day. ESPN seems to have embraced this idea that every guy is either a "metrosexuale" or a "meat-head".

I am an NBA fan (rare here I know), so I find Scott Van Pelt a good mix of humour and sport...but, he does talk a lot of NBA, so I realize, not everybody's cup of tea. Honeslty, byond him, and Mike & Mike (inane at times, but they stick to sports) about the only things listenable on ESPN radio. I think the rest is kind of garbage.

FOX Sports radio, despite its' Fox affiliation, is a much better sports talk network. I think JT The Brick, is pretty snappy, runs a fast paced show, and he can be pretty witty as well, under his 'regular guy" persona. And, for football, on non-satallite radio, I don't think you can do much better than Chris Landry and John Fricke. The overnight guy, Ben Mahler is pretty damn funny too...

All I can say is that Cowherd gets my mind wandering onto things that interest me, not even necessarily directly.

I used to find Jim Rome completely obnoxious! Could not stand him. Now I think he is a GENIUS! I don't even watch sports! I only watch Bills games and a handful of other games. Jim Rome's show is more like a Communications lecture/class, with the teacher allowing students to present their projects. His interviews do nothing for me, but the compiled montages are a unique experience. His dismantling of Brett Favre ("I told Percy I would do this" cue the banjo, then the rocket laucher!) is just great comedy.

JT the Brick? I am ok with. My real favorite are Petros and Money, a local LA show, though I have heard them in Buffalo.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you like listening to? I can only speak for the people I get a chance to listen to, so here's my talking-head paradigm:

Gottlieb<Cowherd<Patrick<Ryan/Kirwan

Patrick is just as much as an insufferable snob as Cowherd, but, as you said, he has a sense of humor. That being said, I really don't dislike either one of them.

I listen to Steve Hartman on Fox Sports channel 169 XM radio. They do a show from 12 - 4 pm Pacific time that is very entertaining and very balanced.

By the way, why even listen to that annoying Cowturd? I stopped listening to him about 3 years ago.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

You guys are funny about the ego thing. HE'S A SPORTS TALK GUY. They all have egos. You literally can't get up every day and go sit in front of a microphone assuming people want to hear what you have to say about sports unless you have a giant ego. They all do.

He is less than a mediocre talk show host whose personal ego exceeds that of any other talker on ESPN radio/tv.

Once again I urge my friends in Buffalo to pressure the management of the station that includes coward on their schedule to take him off. Write and call local advertisers and ask them if they support someone who puts Buffalo down.

I just don't listen to the man when he comes on the air ... I gave him a couple of tries but between his ego and his hate of Buffalo it was a simple decision to just not listen.

WOw, you have too much tied up in some kind of "Buffalo Pride". Don't you have anything better to do? His ratings will reflect his popularity. If they can find something that will generate more income, they will put it on.

I haven't gambled for a while, but the line seems obscenely high. The Bills have lost by more than 3 once all season, and they're getting 5.5 against a 4-4 Cowboys team missing their #1 receiver and CB? Seems a little strange.

Demarcus Ware versus our OL is likely why we're 5.5 point underdogs as well as us being in Dallas.

Demarcus Ware versus our OL is likely why we're 5.5 point underdogs as well as us being in Dallas.

Dallas can be beat at home and we don't hold onto the ball long enough to get sacked anyway. Fitz hardly even looks.

Edited by dayman

I listen to Steve Hartman on Fox Sports channel 169 XM radio. They do a show from 12 - 4 pm Pacific time that is very entertaining and very balanced.

By the way, why even listen to that annoying Cowturd? I stopped listening to him about 3 years ago.

Wasn't Steve Hartman on "The Loose Cannons" on KLAC? Even though I'm in upstate NY I listen to KLAC on the puter stream for The Dan Patrick Show, Jim Rome and last hour of work is "the Cannons".

Wasn't Steve Hartman on "The Loose Cannons" on KLAC? Even though I'm in upstate NY I listen to KLAC on the puter stream for The Dan Patrick Show, Jim Rome and last hour of work is "the Cannons".

"Loose Cannons" is awful. And Pat O'Brien is 99 percent of the reason why. Can't stomach the constant name dropping.

I usually listen to GR a little in the morning (another topic), and Cowherd comes on right after them...there is a little spillover...

"Loose Cannons" is awful. And Pat O'Brien is 99 percent of the reason why. Can't stomach the constant name dropping.

Oh man. POB is not a good guy! Vic the Brick is TIRESOME, and Hartman is too hotheaded. At least they don't have Michael Thompson on there anymore. I didn't know what the "personal problem" was that POB would refer to. Then I heard his creepy, coked-up voicemails. I would love to hear the jokes Petros & Money must make off the air about that creep.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

The show is still called The Loose Cannons. Pat Obrien and Vic something is on the air with him. He was on XTRA Sports 690 in San Diego. Then somewhere in LA.

POB can be annoying at times. But it is fun when taken in 30 minute doses. I listen around my lunch time.

Cowherd puts on a pretty good radio show. Many of his opinions are edgey, or at least interesting. If you were a neutral observer you might like him. Problem here is he admits to having a big market bias, and therefore favors Dallas, the Jets, the Pats etc. Buffalo does not get much airtime, and when it does it is rarely positive news.

I'd wager that becuase he favors the big name teams he hasn't spent much time watching Buffalo.

If he did watch them play the Jets, thay certainly would not make him a believer.

Everyone should shut up,.... Beat Dallas then talk..... You are what your record is

What are you here for? People shouldn't discuss and exchange opinions on the upcoming games? The Bills have a better record than Dallas, and are tied atop their division.

Why the tell everyone to shut up?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I listen to Cowherd on the way into work just cause he is who happens to be on my sports radio station at the time. I heard what he said to the caller about Buffalo today, and he offered a relatively fair assessment of the team. But while he does bring up interesting topics at times and he tends to do his homework factually, my biggest issue with him is that he's clearly not a "fan" of sports. It's more like a job for him, not something he's passionate about. Listen to someone like Mike and Mike on ESPN and you can tell that these guys LOVE sports, especially football. LIsten to Bob Costas talk about baseball. Turn on an English Premier match and you can tell how much someone like Tommy Smyth LOVES soccer. With Cowherd, it's passionless. He likes to be "in the know" so he can be on the right side of an argument.

Today he did something that was just awkward. He had Mike White on there, coach of the Falcons. He said that he meant to have him on the other day, but that the Penn St thing broke and he had to bump him. So he barely gets into the interview, and all of a sudden he just starts asking the coach about Aaron Rodgers. He's going on and on about how amazing Rodgers is, and how he's like a more athletic version of a Joe Montana/Tom Brady hybrid clone thing. There was a pause after the question, and you could pretty much hear Mike White doing a "WTF" in his mind. What the hell does Aaron Rodgers have to do with the Falcons? Cowherd asked him if he's seen a bunch of film on the guy or something. He eventually turns it into a "how do you beat this guy?" discussion, but the whole thing was just weird. Cowherd seems to develop man crushes very easily on NFL QBs.

I listen to Cowherd on the way into work just cause he is who happens to be on my sports radio station at the time. I heard what he said to the caller about Buffalo today, and he offered a relatively fair assessment of the team. But while he does bring up interesting topics at times and he tends to do his homework factually, my biggest issue with him is that he's clearly not a "fan" of sports. It's more like a job for him, not something he's passionate about. Listen to someone like Mike and Mike on ESPN and you can tell that these guys LOVE sports, especially football. LIsten to Bob Costas talk about baseball. Turn on an English Premier match and you can tell how much someone like Tommy Smyth LOVES soccer. With Cowherd, it's passionless. He likes to be "in the know" so he can be on the right side of an argument.

Today he did something that was just awkward. He had Mike White on there, coach of the Falcons. He said that he meant to have him on the other day, but that the Penn St thing broke and he had to bump him. So he barely gets into the interview, and all of a sudden he just starts asking the coach about Aaron Rodgers. He's going on and on about how amazing Rodgers is, and how he's like a more athletic version of a Joe Montana/Tom Brady hybrid clone thing. There was a pause after the question, and you could pretty much hear Mike White doing a "WTF" in his mind. What the hell does Aaron Rodgers have to do with the Falcons? Cowherd asked him if he's seen a bunch of film on the guy or something. He eventually turns it into a "how do you beat this guy?" discussion, but the whole thing was just weird. Cowherd seems to develop man crushes very easily on NFL QBs.

That's what I LIKE about his show. That's the concept.

Mike and Mike aren't good. Mike Golic, I can't bear him. You can always count on him to have the safest, middle of the road opinion. He is there to appeal to the "regular guy" and it's pure schtick. Those annoying "Abbott and Costello"-style ads. "Mr. Brat". A conservative, family-values, hard-workin', bratwurst eating guy, "just like you and me". Bleech!

Cowherd is way smarter, and well-travelled than those guys, and his show (and audience) reflect that.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

If Buffalo is average, what the heck is Dallas?

Bills beat: Chiefs, Raiders, Patriots, Eagles, Redskins

Cowboys beat: 49ers, Redskins, Rams, Seahawks

Bills losses: Bengals, Giants, Jets

Cowboys losses: Jets, Lions, Patriots, Eagles

a large market which is the only thing he's about making the needle move.

He has a "man-crush" on Rodgers too, because he is so good...bright and shiny...last year, he spent the entire NBA season, sucking off LeBron, and damning all the "haters" because they are jealous of him...then, when it appeared the Heat weren't an automatic to win a ring, he jumped ship, and started ripping them...what I love about Michelle Beadle (besides that I think she is hot) she always calls him on his BS...if Colin wasn't on that show, I might watch it more...I like her...funny chick!

Let's be honest - 53 man talent - were pretty average.

No superstars. Starting to get depth but not a lot. We've overachieved with scheme and effort not speed and strength generally. Hopefully in the next year or two we add a game breaker or two on each side and keep filling in depth.

Edited by NoSaint

Colin is nothing more than a shock jock of sports radio after 10 minutes his voices sounds like my wife...wawawawawawawa...wawawawawaawaawa

I don't like Cowherd. He's an average sports talk host on an average network.

I don't think he is a "Shock Jock" at all! He might pick on Buffalo a bit, but it's probably because so many fans from Buffalo have flooded his phone lines and Emails! He gets an OVERreaction from a large group of listeners from Buffalo, and figures that must be what drives the ratings in there. And you know what? HE"S RIGHT! It works for Jerry Sullivan, works for Schmuck & Bulldog (He definitely doesn't trade in negativity the way Buffalo's own Sullivan does!)

I don't hear him trying to act particularly shocking, very often. He isn't Howard Stern.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Thankfully The Dan Patrick Show is on at the same time!!

You can't be serious??? Patrick and his little troop of misfits is unbearable.

If you took a preseason poll on TBD, I would bet 90% of us would have been happy to have the Bills called average in November. This team was out of the playoffs before October started last year. I will take average right now thank you very much.

they're an average team with average players."

Well I suppose that explains how they are 5-3. Cowherd must really be grasping for straws. Are his minion followers not paying attention to him anymore? poor silly cowherd... no one takes him seriously :(

Cowturd is a cowturd. However, he probably has created more Buffalo Bill fans, just because people would like to shut his face up. Somebody said it right in a previous post. He his like the !@#$ at a cookout who is loud, opinionated, obnoxious and has people walking away from his area of the yard to avoid getting irritate by a simple !@#$. He makes just enough sense to keep himself from being dismissed and is good at sliding from there to beating the drum on his egotistical opinions.

given the lack of success over the past few years, the Bills simply a bad football team, this years edition thus far a most interesting and improved team, calling them average at this point a marked improvement particularly given the nature of "any given sunday" parity where average teams have a real shot at winning. This certainly beats the not a snow balls chance over the past few years. hurray for Colon even he in spite of his apparent front runners and big market affections...

WOw, you have too much tied up in some kind of "Buffalo Pride". Don't you have anything better to do? His ratings will reflect his popularity. If they can find something that will generate more income, they will put it on.

Well ... yea, I have 'Buffalo Pride!'

Clearly Colin is not going off the ESPN airwaves unless his ratings collapse and his brand of 'let's talk colin' rather than let's talk sports goes counter to the other programming on ESPN.

However, my point is that for all the whining about Cowherd, Buffalo fans living in Western New York can have an impact as to whether WGR carries the show or not. I realize that this might be a hard concept for you to understand but local businesses are trying to sell to local customers and if their business is associated with something that the local market does not like then they can lose customers. Therefore if a significant number of customers (Again, it is clear from your posting that you may not understand all of this but others do.) inform a local business or businesses that they will not 'do business' with them because of the negative association there is a good chance the business will disassociate. That's happening today on ESPN as a major advertiser did not want to be associated with the Penn State game.

Well I suppose that explains how they are 5-3. Cowherd must really be grasping for straws. Are his minion followers not paying attention to him anymore? poor silly cowherd... no one takes him seriously :(

We are 3rd in our division, on the outside of the playoffs, and 2-3 in our last 5. Seems pretty middle of the road.

Because a guy averaging 5.5 YPC is the definition of average...yawn

1 runningback doesn't make a roster great. We have some really good players, have played well... But we don't have the depth or gamechangers to be great yet. Average is a big step forward, not an insult.

That's what I LIKE about his show. That's the concept.

Mike and Mike aren't good. Mike Golic, I can't bear him. You can always count on him to have the safest, middle of the road opinion. He is there to appeal to the "regular guy" and it's pure schtick. Those annoying "Abbott and Costello"-style ads. "Mr. Brat". A conservative, family-values, hard-workin', bratwurst eating guy, "just like you and me". Bleech!

Cowherd is way smarter, and well-travelled than those guys, and his show (and audience) reflect that.

I can understand the appeal based on what you said, and there are times when I do like some of the topics he brings up, but read what Butftex wrote below (errr, above). His lack of passion breeds hypocrisy at times, I think. He's too much of a bandwagon jumper for my taste, and I honestly don't think he can relate at ALL to people who either come from a smaller market or are passionate about a small market team. At least with guys like Mike and Mike I know where they stand. Little Mike is obviously a huge Jets fan, but I've heard him give props to B-lo plenty of times in the past. He respects the Bills, and I think a lot of that is because he knows what it is to be a fan. A LOYAL fan. Cowherd is a front runner, and he modifies his position based on what the "facts" tell him to do so that he can be in the right...whatever that means.

Pay attention to something...the next time you hear his show and he has a guest on, listen to how Cowherd will frame the conversation before it even starts. He'll introduce the guest, mention the topic, and then discuss HIS view before he listens to the guest. It's almost as if he wants to prime the guest to either agree with his position or not take a position that is so far removed from Colin's that it makes him look bad lol.

I'm not saying I don't like his show, cause I do. I just can't relate to the guy a lot of the time and I don't really have as much respect for him as I do others.

He has a "man-crush" on Rodgers too, because he is so good...bright and shiny...last year, he spent the entire NBA season, sucking off LeBron, and damning all the "haters" because they are jealous of him...then, when it appeared the Heat weren't an automatic to win a ring, he jumped ship, and started ripping them...what I love about Michelle Beadle (besides that I think she is hot) she always calls him on his BS...if Colin wasn't on that show, I might watch it more...I like her...funny chick!

:lol: Dude, the Mavs win last year was one of the most satisfying events I've ever witnessed in sports, and I'm not even a huge NBA guy. I am usually all about trash talk, and I LOVED that we had those big mouths in Miami to keep it interesting, but that just makes it all the sweeter when they couldn't finish.

I have only been able to see SportsNation recently, and I totally agree about Beadle on both counts. You can tell that she's legit when it comes to havign an interest in sports, and she knows what she's talking about. Aside from that, she's very easy on the eyes. :thumbsup:

She was at the Bills game Sunday. Cheering for the wrong team, but looking very cute:

Beadle

From the same guy who has been flying the Cowboys banner as a Top 10 Team all year and said West Virginia would destroy Syracuse...I really don't pay much attention to his detail...He makes a good point every now and again...That's about it... B-)