A Few Thoughts About The Game

1) I was ready to rip McKelvin a new a-hole after the long catch by Burress with 8 minutes and change left in the 3rd Qtr. Then I saw the replay and noticed that Burress shoved him away, as he did on most of his receptions today. Of course, there was no call. I cannot think of a way that the refs didn't see this; it was just so clear.

2) He was not as consistent as I am hoping for, but Alex Carrington played his best game as a professional football player today. I always had more hope for him than Troup, and now the bar has been raised in terms of what I think that he is capable of doing.

3) The 4th Qtr. challenge by Gailey was dumb. Very dumb.

4) OK, time to rip McKelvin. On the very next play after the non-call he gave up a touchdown, despite having his man covered. He has NO football instincts. He plays at about the level of a decent 4th round pick. Nice work Dick Levy! :angry:

5) Dareus is on his way to being an actually, literal, GREAT player. He more than held his own with Mangold, who imo has a big chance to be in the Hall of Fame. This as a rookie. The sky is the limit for this kid!!!!!!

6) The move that Stevie Johnson put on Revis on that 52 yard reception was one I don't recall ever seeing. He made these motions with his feet and actually froze the best NFL cornerback since Mel Blount. His fantasy numbers aside, he reached a new plateau today. He caught passes from and drew penalties on Revis. The need to extend his contract RIGHT NOW!!!!!! If they lose him, they will be chasing his replacement which will not be easy to find. We did this at db and wound up with Whitner/McKelvin. We did this at RB and wound up with Spiller. PLEASE sign him now. PLEASE!!!!!!

7) On the day that I was born,

Daddy sat down and cried.

I had the mark just as plain as day,

Could not, be denied.

8) The first pick by Fitz at the end of the half was simply inexcuseable. He had a month to throw; there was NO reason to force the pass. We are not good enough to come back from bad plays like this.

9) This was Gaileys worst game as our coach. Its not as if I am hating on the guy, but he has led us to expect more.

10) I STILL think that they should have sent Spiller between the tackles, especially after FJ was hurt. There was some room too. The hardest position to watch on TV is Right Guard. Its as if the cameras don't go there. That said, I am starting to like Urbik more and more.

11) Hey, how funny was that "leap" by Keller in the 2nd Qtr? And he was out of bounds to boot. It was nice to see him get smashed.

12) Blast away, but the truth is that the Jets are stacked. Sanchez is shaky, but they are a very, very talented team and are much better than their record indicates. Therefore, I am not as pissed as I would normally be after a loss. But, we have to correct dumb mistakes. At this point, we are just not good enough to compensate for bad calls, questionable coaching decisions and ill advised plays. The good news is that imo we are only a few players away from being serious contenders.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very disappointing loss today. Not just the loss itself but the way in which we lost. The O looked putrid and the D just could not get off the field.

- Agree on Dareus. Once we have Kyle Williams back, we will have a formidable front D

- Whats the deal with Troup anyway ? Is he hurt to the point that he cannot play or is he Maybinot part deux ?

- Agree about Carrington and McK.

- Gailey did not prep this team adequately and made some real big mistakes in-game. The challenge, not taking the FG, balance between run and pass etc

- WRs were just not getting separation. Should have had plan B which Gailey did not have

- Barnett continues to excel and makes plays all over the field

- Somehow Gailey is not finding enough ways to get Spiller involved.

- The OL weakness, masked several times earlier in the season by Fitz and Gailey, was evident today. Lot of pressure, forcing Fitz to make early throws

However:

- we are 5-3 which is the same record as the Jets

- have winnable games against the Cowboys, Dolphins and Denver.

- should get better with Bell/Hairston returning which will allow Levitre to return to his position of strength

We are far ahead of where I thought we would be, 10-6 should be doable and 11-5 with playoffs is still reachable. We have to consistently win against the above average teams.

1) The pushoffs were all day for the Jets WR's. It went both ways a few times but not when it mattered. The times the ref's called it changed the game, but the Jets would have still won more then likely.

3) Did he just throw the challenge flag to make us think he was still paying attention, because quite frankly, I did not think he was before that!

5) Mangold's style of play is something that any lineman should study. The clutch and grab blocking style is the most effective yet hard to imagine. Coaches teach lineman to get under the shoulder pads when in reality you're clutching the jersey in your hand. As long as you keep constant contact with this style of play and keep your defender from extending his arms you'll win every time. It is not cheating - it is just part of the game. Will Woolford did it well.

10) Why we did not try to utilize Spiller and Smith is beyond me. Like someone in the shoutbox pointed out we draft a guy and sign a guy then never use them when we need to and there was no greater need then today! We cannot afford to lose to the Fins, we need to beat the Jetsies next time, too.

11) I hope they show that to other players in the NFL about risk vs. reward. I don't care how much the game is on the line - some times it just isn't worth it.

12) The Jets are not as stacked as todays game would lead anyone to believe - they just play very good football and hide their shortcomings almost perfectly. They are beatable.

12) The Jets are not as stacked as todays game would lead anyone to believe - they just play very good football and hide their shortcomings almost perfectly. They are beatable.

I agree that they are beatable but I think that they are better than you suggest. They are a well built team. We can get there with a free agent or 2 and a solid, sane draft.

There were probably 10 players in the Alabama/LSU game last night that could improve our team immediately. I hope they grab one of the Alabama linebackers.

Edited by Bill from NYC

3) The 4th Qtr. challenge by Gailey was dumb. Very dumb.

9) This was Gaileys worst game as our coach. Its not as if I am hating on the guy, but he has led us to expect more.

12) Blast away, but the truth is that the Jets are stacked. Sanchez is shaky, but they are a very, very talented team and are much better than their record indicates. Therefore, I am not as pissed as I would normally be after a loss. But, we have to correct dumb mistakes. At this point, we are just not good enough to compensate for bad calls, questionable coaching decisions and ill advised plays. The good news is that imo we are only a few players away from being serious contenders.

3) My only thought on the challenge was that the Bills were going to use a timeout in any event to get the play call in on a crucial 4th and short..so why not challenge?

9) Gailey got flat-out outcoached today. It happens. The guy is innovative enough to get us back on track.

12) The Jets are good. I was hoping to split with them, which we can still do. In fact, if we had to lose one to them, I'd rather it be the first one. We can make some big-time adjustments now for game 2.

I agree that they are beatable but I think that they are better than you suggest. They are a well built team. We can get there with a free agent or 2 and a solid, sane draft.

There were probably 10 players in the Alabama/LSU game last night that could improve our team immediately. I hope they grab one of the Alabama linebackers.

Very close, Bill! There are nine. From my positional needs thread:

RD#1 Morris Claiborne LSU CB, Don'ta Hightower ILB Alabama or Courtney Upshaw OLB34 Alabama

RD#2 Josh Chapman DT43 Alabama

RD#3 Nico Johnson OLB43 Alabama

RD#4 Barrett Jones OG Alabama

RD#4 William Vlachos OC Alabama

RD#5 Deangelo Peterson TE LSU

RD#6 Marquis Maze WR Alabama

Edited by Astrobot

The challenge flag turns a 30 second time out into a three or four minute time out. I was ok with that.

Not using Spiller and Smith was weird. I don't understand that.

Fitz is putting together a string of bad games. (The Redskins game doesn't count)

Bad ref calls are common, and usually they balance out for both teams. Lack of pushing off calls and phantom PI calls were especially bad today.

Isn't Lee Smith a blocking tight end? He was barely on the field, even though Levitre is a guard playing tackle, and has a bad shoulder.

Using Fred after he was hurt doesn't make sense.

What's scary is that Dallas will no doubt be given today's Offensive and Defensive golden blueprint courtesy of Rob's brother Rex.

We need to start seeing Fitzpatrick rolling out and running with the ball like he used to. We need to start seeing Smith used on reverse run/pass options. We need to see designed roll outs with passes targeted deep down the field again. We need to see passing to Spiller and Jackson in the middle of the field. We especially need to stop with the dink and dunk! Can't wait to see what Chan comes up with because today's gameplan was probably already flushed down the toilet by now.

I'm a bit surprised that not much is being made of the Jets coming off a bye week. I think that did contribute to the outcome today.

You know, it seems to me that the Bills have really been on the short end of the stick the last 10-15 years facing a divisional opponent coming off THEIR bye (for a while, I know we kept getting the Patsies after their bye!). Can anyone put together some stats on this?

What's scary is that Dallas will no doubt be given today's Offensive and Defensive golden blueprint courtesy of Rob's brother Rex.

Is there any rules to stop this? I mean, what stops teams from sharing every bit of info? The Jets really need us to lose with their schedule getting tougher and ours getting much easier.

Offensive play-calling was :huh: in critical times. 3rd and short, 4th and 2 and we go for low-% long balls?!? What the frick was that?

The few times we did run a screen or slant, it worked. One screen to Freddie went for what I believe was the second-longest play of the day. Also, a slant to Stevie for a 1st. The Jets CBs are very good, but allowing them to intimidate us into not even attempt to run what we do best is suicide. Fitz went long several times instead and we punted lots.

How about that dump-off to Chandler that went for 10+? Chandler blocked his man, stepped out in the flat, followed his QB, caught a wobbler, duped the LB and S. Yeah, Gailey doesn't use TEs in his offenses.... Maybe he would more often if he had some that were worth a stevestojan. Chandler's emerged, but it would've been nice to get a Miller or Boss.... Those are plays to big targets that keep drives alive and win games.

Defenses are gonna be toasted, as we've seen all year. WRs can just about mangle CBs and not get a flag, but if a CB so much as breathes on a WR.... I've said it all year, and it's abundantly clear by now that the league and the refs are just fine with the castration of defenses. And so, if you don't respond / keep pace with the other team's offense, you're screwed. (And besides that, the offense didn't do the D any favors by keeping them on the field for 40 minutes.)

You know, it seems to me that the Bills have really been on the short end of the stick the last 10-15 years facing a divisional opponent coming off THEIR bye (for a while, I know we kept getting the Patsies after their bye!). Can anyone put together some stats on this?

Nice to see you posting.

QB: Fitz weak arm is scary and potentially fatal. throws short side arm sliders and long lollipop drops. We don't have the luxury of heaving it deep and getting those PI's because Fitz doesn't have it in him. Evidence is clear winning SB requires a strong arm: Brady, Manning (Peyton and Eli), Rodgers, Brees throws darts out to 40 yards, Big Ben etc etc ... Not saying we can't make playoffs, but SB is a real problem when your QB has a weak arm.

Choking: of the "big 4" associated w/ offense (Chan, Fitz, Fred, Stevie) only SJ showed me he's ready for prime time. Chan was Jauron-like with a predictable plan and poor decision making, Fitz looked and played like a dumpy train conductor, Fred was a deer in headlights. PLEASE MEDIA, NO MORE ATTENTION OR LOVE FOR BILLS DURING THE WEEK.

Facing Jets again: if we're to win (which could be a must), clearly something has to change. I'd give some thought to fewer inside runs w/ Fred to more outside w/ Spiller. Need to make Jets DBs respect our running game in the flats so they stay closer to line, opening up passing opportunities behind them, and freeing up the middle for Chandler and Nelson.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Is there any rules to stop this? I mean, what stops teams from sharing every bit of info? The Jets really need us to lose with their schedule getting tougher and ours getting much easier.

i hope he does give them the blueprint. They don't have the time nor players to implement it. Also, I believe when we see it again, we,l slice and dice it with the running game.

The Challenge was not dumb! It gave more time to think about what to do!

The offensive play was dumb!

Other than that....THe Bills showed who they were....AND RETIRE THE WHITE JERSEYS FOR ANOTHER 25 YEARS!

More time to what? Give the defense time to regroup so we could call a slow developing run play, giving Jets opportunity to penetrate, when all we needed was Wood to move the NT 6 inches for a Fitz sneak?

Odds of winning that challenge was negligible. back to back stupid moves by Chan & co

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack