A Few Thoughts About The Game

I have my own list of things that I didnt like from the game.....

- I am not understanding not QB sneaking for less then a yard.....it was at a critical time in the game

- I did NOT like seeing Jackson take the field after he got that stinger......we were just asking for trouble there. That was Spiller time.

- I think we ran TWO screens today.....one was extremely successful and the other got blown up. We should have ran that a lot more to slow down their pressure and to take advantage of their blitzing.

That being said......I was extremely frustrated at how badly we played the run today.....the stats do not reflect just how bad we were at it and it was the first time this year I felt like we couldnt stop the run. We just gave up 1st down after first down and eventually it led to points.

This team needs another strong defensive draft.....I still think we can finish with 10-6

Ther Bills have 5 wins

However, the creampuffs in teh 2nd half are turning it around.

Miami dominated the Chiefs on the road. They will crush the Skins and have a ton of confidence when they play the Bills. Their defense is capable of stifling the Bills

Tebow may not have to pass as Denver will run on the Bills all day long.

Bills will struggle to get to 8 wins.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, thanks for posting your thoughts of the game. Whether the Bills win or lose, yours is always the thread I look forward to the most each week.

I'm intrigued by Hairston, and think there's a chance he's part of the long-term solution as a starter at OT. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this player.

Even though Fitz is one of the better players on the roster, the Bills may have a need for a quarterback. Typically teams need an elite QB to win the Super Bowl. Fitz has played at a higher level this season than last season. But a lot of those good games came against weak pass defenses, and he hasn't been playing as well recently as he had earlier in the year. Depending on how he plays the rest of the year, the Bills may or may not be justified in taking a first round QB. (But obviously they shouldn't use a first round pick on a QB unless they're reasonably sure he's franchise.)

I agree with your point about the lack of a pass rush. The Bills could very easily justify using a first round pick on a pass rushing OLB, especially if there were no QBs worthy of their first round pick.

I could also imagine the Bills using an early pick on a CB. McKelvin is your long-term answer at nickel back, if he's even that! If all works out, Aaron Williams will be the long-term answer at one of the two starting CB positions. That would still leave the Bills in need of a long-term answer at the other starting CB position. Players like McGee and Florence aren't getting any younger, but their presence on the roster might allow the Bills to delay drafting a CB by a year or two. But I suspect that sooner or later, the Bills will need to use another early pick on a CB.

Thanks so much E.A.!!!

I am never against drafting a qb but I will tell you, the Bills are not going to go after a first round qb after guaranteeing Fitz 24 million dollars or so. My friend, let's be honest with ourselves. It ain't happening.

I am going to spend the offseason the way I usually do.....looking at OTs and pass rushers, and hoping that they don't draft another db or rb in round 1.

As previously stated, I really do believe that the Bills are very close to being serious contenders if they avoid stupid mistakes of the past. One thing I can tell you is that the Bills would not be 5-3 without Dareus. Imagine how good he could be with a Bryce Paup type pass rushing OLB to take a guard away from him in the middle. Or how much of a difference a monster OT would mske to the entire offense. I also want another ILB, and Alabama has 2 stars (Hightower and Johnson).

In all, I can't complain so much. This team got very lucky with players such as S. Johnson, Nelson, Chandler, and maybe even Urbik. Let's just hope we can keep it going.

With the rookie cap they can afford taking a qb in rd1, just a matter of whose there when they draft.

Pass rush can come from the secondary just as much as the line. Jets for example have no elite pash rushers but they get production across the board because with their man cover secondary they can blitz more often and more effectively.

Compare that to cowboys who have IMHO the best pass rusher in ware, but he's just one guy and as a team they don't generate anywhere near the pressure jets do.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I didn't like what I saw from the offense or defense. We are not there yet folks. We need another draft to get better and compete with the Jets. Fortunately I like Buddy Nix and Gailey to draft the guys we need to take us there. Although I still think Gailey was too conservative and shite the bed play calling against the Jets.

Agreed...but I'm probably in the minority because I think this game demonstrates why it just may be advisable to take best CB available in the 2012 draft. A Dre Kirkpatrick or Stephon Gilmore with a healthy Kyle Williams back and we win this game IMO.

We can also use some significant LB, WR, and overall secondary assistance.

I know that won't make me too popular with the "stack the lines" crowd though.

IIRC, the NYG and their trio of pass rushers, Strahan, Tuck, and Umenyiora made life difficult in the SB not long ago. Sure a team needs corners, but give me a guy who gets to the QB and it'll make those DB's look better than would a secondary with average pass rush. The value is in pass rush first IMO, and I want OLB's if they're running a 34 not DL doing that for me.

Most disturbing thing after the game was gaileys coaching. I thought we were set with a smart capable coach and now I'm not sure:

Preparation: there was no evidence of game planning around jets

Adjustments: complete lack of ability to make changes during the game. Example jets had taken away freds inside runs and dazed him. When spiller came in there was a different dynamic where jets had to protect the edge and he was on the for stevies big play. Yet chan took him out after for good?

Judgement: horrible move challenging spot when odds were low we'd get it and we need to save timeouts.

Play calling: horrible run call that played into jets defense when all we needed was sneak.

That episode was like a pop warner coach whose real job is full time fireman.

Character: just seemed like Rex bullied or intimidated him and got into his head. Like Jimmy Johnson used to do to levy.

If that was the real chan doesn't mean a thing what talent we have or will bring in

Poor drafting in past years has cost us this game. We should have had Arakpo and Ngata! Plain and simple we win yesterday if they are on our roster. Glad Buddy Nix and Chan can right the ship the next few years drafting.

Most disturbing thing after the game was gaileys coaching. I thought we were set with a smart capable coach and now I'm not sure:

Preparation: there was no evidence of game planning around jets

Adjustments: complete lack of ability to make changes during the game. Example jets had taken away freds inside runs and dazed him. When spiller came in there was a different dynamic where jets had to protect the edge and he was on the for stevies big play. Yet chan took him out after for good?

Judgement: horrible move challenging spot when odds were low we'd get it and we need to save timeouts.

Play calling: horrible run call that played into jets defense when all we needed was sneak.

That episode was like a pop warner coach whose real job is full time fireman.

Character: just seemed like Rex bullied or intimidated him and got into his head. Like Jimmy Johnson used to do to levy.

If that was the real chan doesn't mean a thing what talent we have or will bring in

Chan did shite the bed yesterday. Hopefully he learns from the experience.

I doubt that was the real chan. This was the first game that I can recall with him being the HC of Buffalo that he's had a bad coaching game. I give him the benefit of the doubt; I believe he'll bounce back against cowgirls.

Thanks so much E.A.!!!

I am never against drafting a qb but I will tell you, the Bills are not going to go after a first round qb after guaranteeing Fitz 24 million dollars or so. My friend, let's be honest with ourselves. It ain't happening.

I am going to spend the offseason the way I usually do.....looking at OTs and pass rushers, and hoping that they don't draft another db or rb in round 1.

As previously stated, I really do believe that the Bills are very close to being serious contenders if they avoid stupid mistakes of the past. One thing I can tell you is that the Bills would not be 5-3 without Dareus. Imagine how good he could be with a Bryce Paup type pass rushing OLB to take a guard away from him in the middle. Or how much of a difference a monster OT would mske to the entire offense. I also want another ILB, and Alabama has 2 stars (Hightower and Johnson).

In all, I can't complain so much. This team got very lucky with players such as S. Johnson, Nelson, Chandler, and maybe even Urbik. Let's just hope we can keep it going.

You're almost certainly correct about the Bills not drafting another QB in the first round of next year's draft. There are a lot of things I like about Fitz, including his intelligence, ability to read defenses, quick decision-making, and leadership. At this point I question whether he has the consistent accuracy needed to become a franchise QB. But I'd be delighted to be proved wrong on that point. I'm right often enough that I can afford to be proven wrong now and then! ;)

I would love to see a Bryce Paup added to the Bills' defense. If the Bills had a top-5 OLB, Dareus at RDE, Kyle Williams at LDE, and Kellen Heard or some other player at NT, I think you'd see a very good pass rush. I also like your idea of adding a quality ILB.

The Bills' defense of the late '90s was effective for two reasons.

1) Three of the guys in the front-7 were players that deserved to be double-teamed. (Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Bryce Paup.)

2) You could put Antoine Winfield on an island against the other team's best WR and have him be okay. This freed up a player for use elsewhere, giving the defense more flexibility.

Of those factors, I'd say that 1) was more important than 2). However, good DBs will force the QB to hold the ball longer than bad DBs would have. A good defensive secondary accentuates the effectiveness of your pass rush. But I'd still rather have a good front-7 and bad secondary than the reverse!

There have been several problems with the Bills' DB picks of the past.

1) (By far the most important.) The position has been regarded as a revolving door. The mentality has been that the Bills can afford to allow their DBs with the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment to go first-contract-and-out, because they can always be replaced by a first round pick in an upcoming draft. Unless a team has Pro Bowlers at nearly every starting position, this is an exceptionally stupid way to make decisions. Fortunately, the revolving door mentality seems to have gone out the window with Nix as GM.

2) Some Bills DBs have been reaches, and were chosen when better players at more important positions were available. (Yes Donte Whitner, I'm talking about you.)

3) Lately, a number of the Bills' early DB picks have been busts.

But! If the Bills were to avoid these three errors, I would be okay with them using an early pick on a DB. He'd have to be a non-reach, there can't be a better player available at a more important position, and above all, if he plays well, he must not be allowed to go first-contract-and-out! :angry::angry:

But DBs aren't the only players at which the Bills should be looking. If it was up to you, who would be the starters on the Bills' offensive line of the future? Just to clarify that question a little, would you want the Bills' LT of the future be Hairston, Bell, or a draft pick? Would you want the Bills' LG of the future to be Levitre or some other player? And so on.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I would love to see a Bryce Paup added to the Bills' defense. If the Bills had a top-5 OLB, Dareus at RDE, Kyle Williams at LDE, and Kellen Heard or some other player at NT, I think you'd see a very good pass rush. I also like your idea of adding a quality ILB.

I still think this Defensive coaching staff is pretty suspect. They have not been able to put the best players on the field and put them at the best position to succeed on a consistent basis.

The Bills' defense of the late '90s was effective for two reasons.

1) Three of the guys in the front-7 were players that deserved to be double-teamed. (Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Bryce Paup.)

2) You could put Antoine Winfield on an island against the other team's best WR and have him be okay. This freed up a player for use elsewhere, giving the defense more flexibility.

Of those factors, I'd say that 1) was more important than 2). However, good DBs will force the QB to hold the ball longer than bad DBs would have. A good defensive secondary accentuates the effectiveness of your pass rush. But I'd still rather have a good front-7 and bad secondary than the reverse!

Actually, that defense became super after the super bowl years because they hired Wade Phillips as the DC. Wade like LeBeau and Dom Capers knows how to run a 3-4 defense and STOP THE RUN. Once you make the other team one dimensional, then you can get your DBs to cheat and play the pass better. Sadly, Edwards cannot even hold a jock strap to those guys. Look at how Capers and Phillips have brought a huge change to the defense in Houston and Green Bay making them instant Super Bowl contenders.

Look at how Houston was such a leaky defense in spite of having a load of super stars....Enter Phillips....Boom, they are one of the best defense in the NFL and they are winning ball games for their team,

There have been several problems with the Bills' DB picks of the past.

1) (By far the most important.) The position has been regarded as a revolving door. The mentality has been that the Bills can afford to allow their DBs with the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment to go first-contract-and-out, because they can always be replaced by a first round pick in an upcoming draft. Unless a team has Pro Bowlers at nearly every starting position, this is an exceptionally stupid way to make decisions. Fortunately, the revolving door mentality seems to have gone out the window with Nix as GM.

2) Some Bills DBs have been reaches, and were chosen when better players at more important positions were available. (Yes Donte Whitner, I'm talking about you.)

3) Lately, a number of the Bills' early DB picks have been busts.

Again goes back to being effective against the run and creating a pass rush.

But! If the Bills were to avoid these three errors, I would be okay with them using an early pick on a DB. He'd have to be a non-reach, there can't be a better player available at a more important position, and above all, if he plays well, he must not be allowed to go first-contract-and-out! :angry::angry:

But DBs aren't the only players at which the Bills should be looking. If it was up to you, who would be the starters on the Bills' offensive line of the future? Just to clarify that question a little, would you want the Bills' LT of the future be Hairston, Bell, or a draft pick? Would you want the Bills' LG of the future to be Levitre or some other player? And so on.

Agreed, IT starts from the top. Need a good 3-4 DC to run this ship. Then need to generate pass rush. Our DBs will be fine.

You're almost certainly correct about the Bills not drafting another QB in the first round of next year's draft. There are a lot of things I like about Fitz, including his intelligence, ability to read defenses, quick decision-making, and leadership. At this point I question whether he has the consistent accuracy needed to become a franchise QB. But I'd be delighted to be proved wrong on that point. I'm right often enough that I can afford to be proven wrong now and then! ;)

I think we will end up picking in the mid round. If there is a QB available at that position, I am (almost) sure the Bills will pick him. Here is why - as someone else said, the rookie salary structure will allow us to invest moderate to high amount of money in that position. In fact, i think the rookie structure is exactly why the Bills got the Fitz deal done - it does not preclude them from drafting a QB high purely for money matters.

While I like Fitz also, his penchant to throw INTs and not be able to transcend the talent around him will hold him back unless he can fix those problems. We saw last season and it is beginning to show up again - the slow regression of his performances. I agree we are short on talent on the O side but then why the early success followed by lower levels of performance ? Once opposing D's catch up to our schemes, the average overall talent (on OL, WR) does not allow Fitz to overcome pressure and coverages.

So, in short, when we pick in the draft, we can go BPA out of QB, WR, OT and pass rushing OLB.

Look around the league, we could be doing a whole lot worse then Fitz. He's played mostly pretty good, definitely enough so to win most of our games. We have such an awful defense...with a good one we could be 1-2 wins better then we are right now.

He's not an "ace" QB, and very likely not a long term answer, but if he continues to play at this level (minus the Jets game of course) this team can win and be competitive until the longterm guy arrives. I'd even wager he's the second best QB in our division. The Jets winning has little to do with Sanchez...imagine if the Bills had their D?

I still think this Defensive coaching staff is pretty suspect. They have not been able to put the best players on the field and put them at the best position to succeed on a consistent basis.

Actually, that defense became super after the super bowl years because they hired Wade Phillips as the DC. Wade like LeBeau and Dom Capers knows how to run a 3-4 defense and STOP THE RUN. Once you make the other team one dimensional, then you can get your DBs to cheat and play the pass better. Sadly, Edwards cannot even hold a jock strap to those guys. Look at how Capers and Phillips have brought a huge change to the defense in Houston and Green Bay making them instant Super Bowl contenders.

Look at how Houston was such a leaky defense in spite of having a load of super stars....Enter Phillips....Boom, they are one of the best defense in the NFL and they are winning ball games for their team,

Again goes back to being effective against the run and creating a pass rush.

Agreed, IT starts from the top. Need a good 3-4 DC to run this ship. Then need to generate pass rush. Our DBs will be fine.

I strongly agree with the two main points of your post. 1) That a good defensive coordinator is critical. 2) That the Bills currently lack one.

That lack goes back to the very first decision TD made. Which is the same thing as saying it goes back to the very first mistake TD made!

When TD took the reins, the Bills had a very good defensive scheme, and an uninspiring/mediocre offensive scheme. You'd think that TD would have hired a stellar offensive coordinator--a guy who could fix the Bills' offensive coaching woes, while leaving the defensive scheme alone. Instead, the final four candidates he interviewed for the head coaching gig were all defensive coordinators! :angry: This strategy resulted in a failure to fix the coaching problems on offense, and a downgrade in the quality of the Bills' defensive scheme.

I would love to see the Bills add a defensive coordinator of Wade Phillips' caliber. If this defense needs a new jockey--and it does--it also needs a few more horses. My wish list for the latter category is 1) a pass rushing OLB, 2) an Antoine Winfield-caliber CB, 3) an ILB, and 4) maybe another NT, to allow Dareus and Kyle Williams to man the DE spots. I'm certain I want both of those two at DE. But it's possible that the Bills already have the talent on the roster--or perhaps on the practice squad in the form of Jasper--to put together a good rotation at NT even without adding new players or using Williams or Dareus at NT.

Our no-identity 3-4 comes straight from gailey. He dismantled jaurons tampa-2 4-3 because he said from his offensive perspective 3-4 was harder to scheme about. He wasnt really thinking like a DC just assumed 3-4 had some kind of magic. This required a massive overhaul of the front 7 and some retooling of the secondary. And now we have a defense that lacks identity unlike premier one's like ravens steelers jets or packers.

Personally I would have stayed with 4-3 and used most of my draft and FA capacity on offense. The defensive switch required 2 of our first 3 picks in 2010 and all 3 in 2011. And 3 LBs of note in free agency merriman Morrison and Barnett. All that and our D is really no better and our offense could have been much better if we'd focused our player moves instead on that unit.

Id be surprised with benefit of 20:20 hindsight gailey didn't agree with me

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Poor drafting in past years has cost us this game. We should have had Arakpo and Ngata! Plain and simple we win yesterday if they are on our roster. Glad Buddy Nix and Chan can right the ship the next few years drafting.

Chan did shite the bed yesterday. Hopefully he learns from the experience.

Welp Cincy did the same thing in shutting down Freddy and Fitz, Gailey didn't adjust. It almost looked like Turk Schonert calling plays against the Jets & Bengals. I mean those short passes and running Freddy worked in past games,so the thought process was lets keep trying over and over... you would think after 4, 3 downs and punt that Gailey would try something different. An example would be the Bills went "no huddle" on that last series that they scored a TD on.

The Jets pursue as good as any team out there, more screens, fake screens. Get Spiller-Smith more involved in the running game if they are successfully keying on Freddy and shutting him down like both the Jets and Cincy did.

I gotta wonder if Gailey has completely given up on Spiller as a RB? Although he might not be as elusive or able to break tackles like FJ, if the guy gets an open hole and a clear field...nobody is going to catch him!

IIRC, the NYG and their trio of pass rushers, Strahan, Tuck, and Umenyiora made life difficult in the SB not long ago. Sure a team needs corners, but give me a guy who gets to the QB and it'll make those DB's look better than would a secondary with average pass rush. The value is in pass rush first IMO, and I want OLB's if they're running a 34 not DL doing that for me.

I addressed some of your points in my response to Bill in post# 54. Here it is again:

I actually think that we have a serviceable line. They're gelling and getting better game-by-game. Also, there are injuries that must be accounted for. Was their pressure on Fitz yesterday? Yes. Was it a sackfest? No.

Also, we're in a division (and a league) where quick-outs, quick-slants, and screens are prevalent. That's how we've masked deficiencies in the line to a large extent. Given that fact, I'm just not sure that an edge rusher is as valuable as a lock-down corner in today's NFL.

How did New England respond to the a$$ kicking they took a few years back in the Superbowl? By formulating a precision offensive strategy that gets the ball out quick to Welker and alleviates edge pressure on Brady. 2 Lawrence Taylor's and 2 Bruce Smith's can't stop that - they wouldn't have enough time. Look at Pitt's game plan a couple week's ago against New England. It was a plan that generally only rushed 4 and relied on the secondary to jam receivers, cover close, and disrupt timing. It didn't rely on the 5 year old strategy of "throw the house at Brady." To be sure, our win over New England was accomplished with almost no pressure on Brady. It was awareness in the secondary, being close enough to receivers to get hands on the ball, crowding receivers, disrupting routes that won that game.

Does this mean that we shouldn't draft an DE? No. A solid DE is an integral part of any defensive strategy. I just think that the current NFL offensive trends implicates the need for improved secondary play.

With that said...a beast CB, LB or DE would go a long way to making this team very competitive. I just prefer a CB (and coming out of the Jauron regime, I never though that I would be writing about drafting another CB high in the draft).

If it was up to you, who would be the starters on the Bills' offensive line of the future? Just to clarify that question a little, would you want the Bills' LT of the future be Hairston, Bell, or a draft pick? Would you want the Bills' LG of the future to be Levitre or some other player? And so on.

Tough question but I'll try.

1) I want to see more of Pears, but he seems to be holding his position rather well. He is certainly worth keeping on the team.

2) Urbik looks as if he has potential. He seems to play well in this systems and has thrown nice blocks that I noticed on runs. He too is a keeper imo.

3) Wood, for the first time, is living up to the accolades he was getting on this board. I have no issues at all with him at Center.

4) Levitre is a very good player. Perhaps not the crushing beast one might want, but he is good at all phases of his position and will probably even get better. Btw, the year he was drafted, I would have been fine with him at #28. They got him in round 2, but they moved up to get him, am I right?

5) Bell? Wow. He plays pretty well when he is in there, but he seems to be almost always out or playing injured. A smaller, poor man's Jonas Jennings if you will. I don't know when his contract is up nor how much I would commit to him if it was.

6) Hairston is VERY interesting. We have absolutely not seen enough of him to know how he will play, but it was obvious early on that we were not looking at Terrance Pennington or poor Greg Jerman. I don't think anbody knows for sure what he brings, but I do wish he was in there now getting snaps. Looking at his frame, I see a RT but again, it's way too early to say.

Would I like a first round LT. Yes, if the scouts think that he could play on the level of Tarik Glenn. He wouldn't have to be an all time great such as Pace.

If they thought there was a very good LT in round 2, I hope they go for someone like Courtney Upshaw. And, I also think they would do well to get better at ILB. An extra DT would help a lot as well.

Corner? Let's see more of Aaron Williams, OK? :)

Would I like a first round LT. Yes, if the scouts think that he could play on the level of Tarik Glenn. He wouldn't have to be an all time great such as Pace.

If they thought there was a very good LT in round 2, I hope they go for someone like Courtney Upshaw. And, I also think they would do well to get better at ILB. An extra DT would help a lot as well.

I am going to flip the table on you, Bill. I, for one, am not entirely convinced we have an OL that can hold their blocks for an extended period of time. Our current offensive philosophy compensates for some short comings. But, to make our offense multi-dimensional, we need to add a vertical threat and make sure our OL is good enough to allow the deep plays to develop. The O is limited in their range right now. Wood, Levitre and possibly Hairston are excellent. May need upgrades on the right side.

I am going to flip the table on you, Bill. I, for one, am not entirely convinced we have an OL that can hold their blocks for an extended period of time. Our current offensive philosophy compensates for some short comings. But, to make our offense multi-dimensional, we need to add a vertical threat and make sure our OL is good enough to allow the deep plays to develop. The O is limited in their range right now. Wood, Levitre and possibly Hairston are excellent. May need upgrades on the right side.

And I see your point. Now, if you think that much of Hairston, a stud LT would endable the staff to place Hairston at RT.

Either way, I hope they don't screw it up in a "Spilleresque" manner.

Tough question but I'll try.

1) I want to see more of Pears, but he seems to be holding his position rather well. He is certainly worth keeping on the team.

2) Urbik looks as if he has potential. He seems to play well in this systems and has thrown nice blocks that I noticed on runs. He too is a keeper imo.

3) Wood, for the first time, is living up to the accolades he was getting on this board. I have no issues at all with him at Center.

4) Levitre is a very good player. Perhaps not the crushing beast one might want, but he is good at all phases of his position and will probably even get better. Btw, the year he was drafted, I would have been fine with him at #28. They got him in round 2, but they moved up to get him, am I right?

5) Bell? Wow. He plays pretty well when he is in there, but he seems to be almost always out or playing injured. A smaller, poor man's Jonas Jennings if you will. I don't know when his contract is up nor how much I would commit to him if it was.

6) Hairston is VERY interesting. We have absolutely not seen enough of him to know how he will play, but it was obvious early on that we were not looking at Terrance Pennington or poor Greg Jerman. I don't think anbody knows for sure what he brings, but I do wish he was in there now getting snaps. Looking at his frame, I see a RT but again, it's way too early to say.

If I understand your views correctly, you envision the OL of the future as follows:

LT: first or second round pick

LG: Levitre

C: Wood

RG: Urbik

RT: Hairston or Pears

As Fan in Chicago pointed out, it's important that the OL be able to hold its blocks for an extended period of time. (Thereby making the offense more multi-dimensional.) The OL described above seems like it might allow for this kind of improvement without the need to use excessive draft day value.

I envision the CBs of the future as follows:

CB#1: draft pick

CB#2: Aaron Williams

Nickel back: Leodis McKelvin

The above isn't set in stone. If Aaron Williams turns out to be the next Revis, he could always be bumped up to CB#1. But as Juror#8 pointed out, QBs like Brady are getting the ball out in a real hurry. You need a good defensive secondary in order to be able to put a stop to that.

My overall wish list for the Bills' first round draft picks is the following (in a particular order):

1. Franchise QB

2. Pass rushing OLB

3. Antoine Winfield-caliber CB

4. LT (depending on how Bell develops)

5. ILB

6. NT (depending on how Jasper, Troup, and Heard develop)

7. A game-changing WR (depending on how the existing Bills' WR corps develops).

I realize this represents a lot more wishes than the Bills will have first round picks over the next two - three years. But that's okay--whenever a team becomes locked into taking a player at one particular position, it will generally overlook better players at other positions. (As the Bills did in the 2006 draft, when they went in with the mentality that they had to take a SS and DT with their first two picks.)