A Few Thoughts About The Game

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) He was not as consistent as I am hoping for, but Alex Carrington played his best game as a professional football player today. I always had more hope for him than Troup, and now the bar has been raised in terms of what I think that he is capable of doing.

5) Dareus is on his way to being an actually, literal, GREAT player. He more than held his own with Mangold, who imo has a big chance to be in the Hall of Fame. This as a rookie. The sky is the limit for this kid!!!!!!

6) The move that Stevie Johnson put on Revis on that 52 yard reception was one I don't recall ever seeing. He made these motions with his feet and actually froze the best NFL cornerback since Mel Blount. His fantasy numbers aside, he reached a new plateau today. He caught passes from and drew penalties on Revis. The need to extend his contract RIGHT NOW!!!!!! If they lose him, they will be chasing his replacement which will not be easy to find. We did this at db and wound up with Whitner/McKelvin. We did this at RB and wound up with Spiller. PLEASE sign him now. PLEASE!!!!!!

8) The first pick by Fitz at the end of the half was simply inexcuseable. He had a month to throw; there was NO reason to force the pass. We are not good enough to come back from bad plays like this.

12) Blast away, but the truth is that the Jets are stacked. Sanchez is shaky, but they are a very, very talented team and are much better than their record indicates. Therefore, I am not as pissed as I would normally be after a loss. But, we have to correct dumb mistakes. At this point, we are just not good enough to compensate for bad calls, questionable coaching decisions and ill advised plays. The good news is that imo we are only a few players away from being serious contenders.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 - It's good to see some of last year's draft picks starting to emerge.

#5 - I still think we got the best guy in the 2011 Draft

#6 - I'm just really glad Stevie is on our team. Wish we had one more top notch guy lining up on the other side.

#8 - I was discussing Fitz with a co-worker this week and said "He just doesn't make big mental errors; his accuracy is what I worry about". OK, today he made some bad decisions..

#12 - No argument from me: the Jets are the type of team that matches up very well against the Bills. They owned us today.

Time to get ready for the cowpokes. Go Bills!

Jets whipped us on special teams too w/ important kick off and punt returns. Also pinned us on a crucial punt. Bills coverage team looks lost in tackling and lane assignments and if not corrected this will bite us in the butt even worse next week

Good point Joe. We sucked on special teams today too. Gave up some long returns.

Bill,

Nothing went right today. Very inept play calling. Did not try something different when things were not working. We did not use players like Brad Smith and Spiller effectively. Fitz was definitely rattled and his throws were way off.

When you know that they excel in taking away the short stuff, the coaching staff couldn't adjust. Where was the reverses, wild cat...Something different...

The defense was on the field for 37 1/2 minutes...That is not going to win ball games. And the Jets scored Touchdowns when it mattered. That opened up a tight 3-0 ball game.

Our offense, defense and special teams were lifeless

Although pass interference penalties clearly favored the Jets we did not play well enough on offense to win this game. Why did we even sign Brad Smith if we're not going to use him on critical 3rd/4th and short situations. 3 times we ran right up the middle in those situations and got stuffed. Brad Smith has shown time and time again that he can pick up that 1 yard... :wallbash:

Although pass interference penalties clearly favored the Jets we did not play well enough on offense to win this game. Why did we even sign Brad Smith if we're not going to use him on critical 3rd/4th and short situations. 3 times we ran right up the middle in those situations and got stuffed. Brad Smith has shown time and time again that he can pick up that 1 yard... :wallbash:

yeah really, the 4th and a couple of pubes would have been perfect time to sneak Smith. That call was pathetic. Even brady or Manning pick that up on a sneak. But nooooo, we have to call a slow developing run

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

7) On the day that I was born,

Daddy sat down and cried.

I had the mark just as plain as day,

Could not, be denied.

One of my favorite Dead songs of all time. But after today I'd have gone with this verse:

If all you got to live for is what you done left behind,

Get yourself a powder charge and seal that silver mine.

Lost my boots in transit, baby, a big ass pile of smokin leather.

I nailed a retread to my feet and prayed for better weather.

The Bills faced a strong team after their bye week while missing their starting left tackle and for all intents and purposes their starting left guard because Levitre had to move over.

The defense after allowing the Jets to eat up the field got a turnover and I felt that they really tightened up on the run - this game was nothing like the run all over us jokes the Jets have had over recent years. The Jets were able to convert on 3rd downs though often by slinging a quick slant to gain just enough to run a few more plays. The old Bills gave up 567 rushing yards in our two tilts with the Jets in 2010, today 126 yards on almost 40 carries. The defense was not getting run over. What is still suspect is our ability to cover TE's and to play man on the outside.

I felt that the Jets played more physical than our offensive line this week, and that was the biggest difference in the game. We were unable to move them off the ball and Jackson had no where to run.

I did feel that some of Chan's play calling was suspect; he should have been more patient with the run and I think Spiller showed that he had enough speed to turn the corner and would have made a good change of pace back for this game. 4th and inches needs to be a QB sneak, or a direct snap to Fred or Corey McIntyre something other than that slow developing train wreck we saw. I would have also liked to see a fake there with a rollout to hit Chandler. The Jets sold out on stopping Jackson, why serve up what they are looking for?

Fitz missed on some throws, and failed to see a wide open Nelson on a post when he went for a low percentage throw at the sideline - he seemed to be impatient with what the Jets were willing to give up. On the throws he made we had some uncharacteristic drops. I am not as upset with the INT as some folks were, I have seen the Jets do some interesting things with coverage. One of the things they like to do is to have the guy who looks like he is covering someone appear to mess up and the Jets appear to double-up on one receiver, but they sneak a LB , extra DB, or Safety out to the flat to take away the short post out of the bunch formation. Since the guy who is actually covering the receiver comes from the opposite side of where the QB is making his read he thinks his receiver is breaking clean. They were waiting for that formaiton, they game planned for it and Fitz threw into it. They did similar things to Phillip Rivers when the Chargers used a bunch formation.

The second INT was a tipped pass so...

The fix was in: yes, I don't like to think that officiating can change the outcome of a game, but in tight games a pass interference call down near the goal line does just that. The same can be said for the non-call on Plaxico's pushing off where he shoved McGee into the endzone before he made his catch. That was as blatant as it gets. Ed Hochuli has never been kind to the Bills.

McKelvin still baffles me, can someone please coach him to stay on his feet on go routes and not fall into the receiver while flailing about like a landed trout. He literally begs for flags whether the ball is catchable or not, or whether he actually makes real contact or not. He has no sense for where the ball is when it is in the air.... I don't know what else to say, but whenever teams see him manning the outside they start licking their chops because they know they don't really have to throw a catchable ball for him to fall into their receivers. Heck I would coach my receivers to slow up and let him run into them while throwing his arms up and not looking for the ball. Instant hankie and completion every time. On the touchdown throw right after that he did not even appear to know that the ball was thrown to his man till the catch was made. He is not very good.

Hopefully our boys get healthy and they now have some decent tape on exactly what the Jets did today. Chan will not make it as easy for them in the rematch.

The Bills had their craptacular game today. I knew that today was off by the end of the first quarter. Better now than later in the season when the games are going to really have impact. With the Giants helping us out, the loss stings but it's not tragic at this juncture in the season.

That being said...this team will have a hard time putting back to back wins because it's still learning consistency. It gets up for some games and doesn't bring the same intensity week in and out. It'll need to discover how to do this starting against Dallas.

I have my own list of things that I didnt like from the game.....

- I am not understanding not QB sneaking for less then a yard.....it was at a critical time in the game

- I did NOT like seeing Jackson take the field after he got that stinger......we were just asking for trouble there. That was Spiller time.

- I think we ran TWO screens today.....one was extremely successful and the other got blown up. We should have ran that a lot more to slow down their pressure and to take advantage of their blitzing.

That being said......I was extremely frustrated at how badly we played the run today.....the stats do not reflect just how bad we were at it and it was the first time this year I felt like we couldnt stop the run. We just gave up 1st down after first down and eventually it led to points.

This team needs another strong defensive draft.....I still think we can finish with 10-6

I have my own list of things that I didnt like from the game.....

- I am not understanding not QB sneaking for less then a yard.....it was at a critical time in the game

- I did NOT like seeing Jackson take the field after he got that stinger......we were just asking for trouble there. That was Spiller time.

- I think we ran TWO screens today.....one was extremely successful and the other got blown up. We should have ran that a lot more to slow down their pressure and to take advantage of their blitzing.

That being said......I was extremely frustrated at how badly we played the run today.....the stats do not reflect just how bad we were at it and it was the first time this year I felt like we couldnt stop the run. We just gave up 1st down after first down and eventually it led to points.

This team needs another strong defensive draft.....I still think we can finish with 10-6

Other than that first drive our defense actually did pretty well against their running game they only had 126 yards on nearly 40 carries. What we did not do well was stop the slants that kept short yardage plays moving, and we did not have an answer for Buress running that post mid-field where he just used his size to shield McGee from the ball. Compared to the way they ran all over us last year this was a vast improvement and if our Offense had shown up today, I don't know if the defense cracks so bad in the 3rd.

I agree with you though, that we are a few defensive players away from being a dominant defensive team. DB and DE are our current needs although I think Carrington turned in a good performance today and has more upside to show. Has Troup been on the field? Have not heard his name called all year.

I am extremely disapointed in Troupe.....I just dont think he should be playing at the level of Heard (actually Heard has played better) where he was drafted.......

I was really expecting more.

Also....while it is a little early for this....I really expected more from Shep in a game like this. Our defense needs to be playing like its hair is on fire and I just didnt see us playing much on THEIR side of the ball....

Meanwhile....the jets were knifing into our backfield on every play

To put some things in perspective...

Let's face it, at the beginning of the year did anyone really think this years Bills would be 5-3 after 8 games and in the division hunt along with the Patriots and Jets?

Not making excuses but!.. considering that the Bills didn't have their only outside pass rusher in Chris Kelsay and their only pro bowler in Kyle Williams along with CB Aaron Williams, that defense could be better this year. Better at stopping the run, better at rushing the passer, better in the secondary. The offense can even get better just by getting back one of the injured tackles so Levitre can move back to guard (who is hurting from a shoulder injury). btw, Kelsay was back for that Redskin game and it showed.

The thing in my view is that although the defense can really improve with kelsay and Williams returning. The offense will only slightly improve as I still think the Bills are lacking top tackles. I mean wth good are players who are always injured year after year. The other aspect is it seems like the Bills are a one trick pony with Fitz and the quick passes. Fred Jackson is the main driving force for the offense, if teams are able to shut him down.... then the offense needs to shift gears and go with something different. Gailey did this exact same thing against Cincy. Like others have stated, dunno why Brad Smith or Spiller isn't more involved in the running game.

I still yearn for the Bills to field a dominate O line that can run the ball at will and not some finesse team that relies on smoke and mirrors.

Every loss this season has made sense so far. The Bengals are a good team that is actually 4-1 on the road right now. The Giants are very good and just won at New England.

I think by the end of the season, we'll know that the Jets are a very, very good team as well. They're 5-3 now but I could see them finishing 12-4 with a first-round bye. They're pretty stacked as long as the QB doesn't hold them back.

@CBN good insight on the pace pick. I remember thinking it looked like they "hid" him from fitz. I guess that's how. I haven't heard of this blown coverage fake routine before. Is that something new?

How the Jets defend the bunch formation was featured on some NFL program this week that I happened to catch. They were showing how the Jets fooled Rivers into throwing into coverage.

It is pretty creative stuff - if there are 3 receivers in a bunch formation on the right side of the offensive formation they have 3 defenders in close. Instead of going man to man they double one guy at the line so he can't even release, another DB picks up the outside guy, but that appears to leave one guy with a clean release inside; however, they slide a safety, db, or lb to the right just before the snap and he actually drops back and picks up the guy who is releasing inside. With Fitz having to make quick decisions, it is wrinkles like that one they threw at him that made him start to hold the ball a bit longer and scan the field more.

Gailey is going to have to go into Megamind-mode for our next matchup against the Jests, I am getting a bit tired of their chest thumping.