A Few Thoughts About The Game

1) Could there be a Bills fan who isn't thrilled by David Nelson? The kid continues to get seperation from defenders and make plays. I will go out on a limb and say that I would rather have him on my football team than Lee Evans at this point. Blast away but one of them consistently gets open, and it ain't Evans.

2) Btw, on Freddie J's 80 yarder to the house, Spiller ran downfield with him and blocked. I appreciate effort like this.

3) I am all about Gailey as a coach, but he REALLY screwed up by not running the football late in the 2nd qtr. What was it? 2nd and 5? We attempted 2 passes and were knocked out of field goal range. This while up by 4, and getting the football to start the second half. That was an out and out horror show.

4) Daddy made whiskey and he made it well. Cost 2 dollars and burned like hell. I cut hickory just to fire the still. Drink a bottle and get ready to kill.

5) I am all about Gailey as a coach, and his decision to go for the field goal at the end of the half really did work. I thought it was a dumb decision, and even expected to miss the kick.

6) Did you people see the block by Urbik on the 80 yd. TD run by Freddie? He moved the entire defense to the left, and btw Pears (who I will get back to) finished off the play. This is essentially a large portion of what I have always wanted the Bills to do.

7) On the 3rd qtr. td by Manningham, Carrington was in coverage. This made me cringe and think about the horror days of Dick Jauron. The guy must weight 290. He blocked a field goal. It is NEVER OK for a human like this to be in coverage. Period.

8) For the third time.....I am all about Gailey as a coach. But can someone tell me why we were throwing with 4:14 left in the game? We were in position to run, score and win. The truth is that Gailey, (as much as I indicated 3 times that I like him), lost us this football game. You want to blame Fitz? Go ahead, but in my opinion he was doing what he was told to do. And yes, the pick Fitz threw in the 3rd quarter was a flat out awful play. There was ZERO chance of completion, and I mean none at all. I expect more from him. But I don't blame him for this loss.

9) Drayton Florence was awful today with the penalties. It was clearly his worst game as a Buffalo Bill. We can't afford this. If it keeps up they will draft another first round corner. OMG!

10) Number 4? Well, I was thinking of posting Grateful Dead lyrics in my weekly post. Actually, I thought that the Dead were just that, but John Kadlecik brought them back with "Furthur." And I will be at MSG to see them in November.

11) Pears, and for that matter Hairston showed us just how important it is to devote major resources to the OT position. Pears had his worst game as a Bill. It wasn't cold, but the winds were strong. There will never be a time where running the football and blocking will not play a major role in the Buffalo Bills football team, and I mean f^&%#%g never.

12) Sorry, but Batten didn't measure up to our hopes in terms of providing any pass rush. I hope that he picks up his game. Dareus? He is a monster.

13) 4-2 isn't so bad. We have 2 weeks to heal our wounds, and for Gailey to regroup. A win in 2 weeks would put us right back on track. People, enjoy your "off week" lol!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put, as always. It is hard to pin a loss on any one play or decision. My view is the there were two key "nails in the coffin": 1) CG's decision to pass rather than run w/ 4 minutes left and already being in FG range (I know this has been hotly debated in other threads, but I think it is wrong to just assume Giants march down field and score a TD and win, which is heroically assuming we get stopped quickly and get a FG) and 2) Florence's atrocious play on the ensuing Giants drive - I don't recall ever seeing a player make so many glaring mistakes at such a critical juncture - It was painful to watch - It seems like he was giving them the game on a silver platter!!

That said, I am thrilled we are 4 and 2, and especially given that I live in the DC area, I really hope we win in 2 weeks!

1) Could there be a Bills fan who isn't thrilled by David Nelson? The kid continues to get seperation from defenders and make plays. I will go out on a limb and say that I would rather have him on my football team than Lee Evans at this point. Blast away but one of them consistently gets open, and it ain't Evans.

I've been tempted to break my rule about buying current player jerseys to get a Nelson. But anytime I've gotten a jersey, that player is gone within 2 seasons. So don't worry, I'm not getting a Nelson jersey.

2) Btw, on Freddie J's 80 yarder to the house, Spiller ran downfield with him and blocked. I appreciate effort like this.

3) I am all about Gailey as a coach, but he REALLY screwed up by not running the football late in the 2nd qtr. What was it? 2nd and 5? We attempted 2 passes and were knocked out of field goal range. This while up by 4, and getting the football to start the second half. That was an out and out horror show.

4) Daddy made whiskey and he made it well. Cost 2 dollars and burned like hell. I cut hickory just to fire the still. Drink a bottle and get ready to kill.

5) I am all about Gailey as a coach, and his decision to go for the field goal at the end of the half really did work. I thought it was a dumb decision, and even expected to miss the kick.

6) Did you people see the block by Urbik on the 80 yd. TD run by Freddie? He moved the entire defense to the left, and btw Pears (who I will get back to) finished off the play. This is essentially a large portion of what I have always wanted the Bills to do.

7) On the 3rd qtr. td by Manningham, Carrington was in coverage. This made me cringe and think about the horror days of Dick Jauron. The guy must weight 290. He blocked a field goal. It is NEVER OK for a human like this to be in coverage. Period.

8) For the third time.....I am all about Gailey as a coach. But can someone tell me why we were throwing with 4:14 left in the game? We were in position to run, score and win. The truth is that Gailey, (as much as I indicated 3 times that I like him), lost us this football game. You want to blame Fitz? Go ahead, but in my opinion he was doing what he was told to do. And yes, the pick Fitz threw in the 3rd quarter was a flat out awful play. There was ZERO chance of completion, and I mean none at all. I expect more from him. But I don't blame him for this loss.

9) Drayton Florence was awful today with the penalties. It was clearly his worst game as a Buffalo Bill. We can't afford this. If it keeps up they will draft another first round corner. OMG!

10) Number 4? Well, I was thinking of posting Grateful Dead lyrics in my weekly post. Actually, I thought that the Dead were just that, but John Kadlecik brought them back with "Further." And I will be at MSG to see them in November.

11) Pears, and for that matter Hairston showed us just how important it is to devote major resources to the OT position. Pears had his worst game as a Bill. It wasn't cold, but the winds were strong. There will never be a time where running the football and blocking will not play a major role in the Buffalo Bills football team, and I mean f^&%#%g never.

12) Sorry, but Batten didn't measure up to our hopes in terms of providing any pass rush. I hope that he picks up his game. Dareus? He is a monster.

13) 4-2 isn't so bad. We have 2 weeks to heal our wounds, and for Gailey to regroup. A win in 2 weeks would put us right back on track. People, enjoy your "off week" lol!

Good post Bill, but I disagree a bit on the Gailey thing. I think Gailey's job is to put his QB in a position to succeed, and while I agree that calling those passing plays w/ 4 min left in the 4th quarter was stupid, he did call a play that allowed Stevie to beat his man down the field. Fitz just didn't make the throw. I mean, I don't think its been pounded home enough...that was a REALLY bad throw. Stevie beat him and throw was not only behind him (way behind him), but it was also to his inside. In the NFL, you need to make those throws consistently. It was a touch throw, and while it isn't easy, its fairly routine at this level. I think that is what bummed me out so much. We all want badly for Fitz to succeed bc he's such a great guy. But, games like this make me wonder.

I agree with everything else. I would only add that the Bills need to utilize Spiller way more.

I've been tempted to break my rule about buying current player jerseys to get a Nelson. But anytime I've gotten a jersey, that player is gone within 2 seasons. So don't worry, I'm not getting a Nelson jersey.

Do it Jack! Hey, I'm posting Dead lyrics. We need to go all out and make the playoffs!

Re: #10

Adding some Robert Hunter to the mix can only make a good thing better! :thumbsup:

OK my long time friend. I take this as a seal of approval from a moderator lol!!!

And yes, Robert Hunter is a flat out genius, and I am not even a little surprised that you personally recognize this.

Be well Brother! :thumbsup:

Edited by Bill from NYC

Good post Bill, but I disagree a bit on the Gailey thing. I think Gailey's job is to put his QB in a position to succeed, and while I agree that calling those passing plays w/ 4 min left in the 4th quarter was stupid, he did call a play that allowed Stevie to beat his man down the field. Fitz just didn't make the throw. I mean, I don't think its been pounded home enough...that was a REALLY bad throw. Stevie beat him and throw was not only behind him (way behind him), but it was also to his inside. In the NFL, you need to make those throws consistently. It was a touch throw, and while it isn't easy, its fairly routine at this level. I think that is what bummed me out so much. We all want badly for Fitz to succeed bc he's such a great guy. But, games like this make me wonder.

I agree with everything else. I would only add that the Bills need to utilize Spiller way more.

As pointed out by Dungy tonight, Fitz was so gun shy about the Giants pass rush he threw that ball back pedaling and did not set his feet at all. Really bizarre throw by Fitz and when you watch it closely you can see his mechanics are all screwed up. I love Fitz but that throw was all on him. Stevie was open and had separation.

Interesting that Manning threw it away last week at the end with a bizarre INT and this week it's Fitz'z turn. BTW- Drew Brees also ended his game with a terrible INT in the Bucs end zone. All great QBs throw some bad picks.

OK my long time friend. I take this as a seal of approval from a moderator lol!!!

And yes, Robert Hunter is a flat out genius, and I am not even a little surprised that you personally recognize this.

Be well Brother! :thumbsup:

I'm not as familiar with Broadway as I ought to be.

But for my roll of nickels, Robert Hunter is hands down the greatest lyricist in the history of American songwriting.

A fine fit for the most enjoyable Bills season in over a decade!

As for the football end of things.

>I think you might be happy next April when the Bills use their first or second pick on an OT, provided a good one is there. They do recognize the need and intend to address it.

>Urbik has been a really pleasant surprise the last several weeks.

>Full agreement on Nelson; great smarts, tons of guts, outstanding hands. Also seems to have a knack for stepping up in the big moment and that's something you don't teach.

>I haven't seen a Center kicking as many asses as I've seen Wood kick this year.

>Dareus is indeed a monster; and Dwan Edwards had a nice game today as well. Batten is depth at best and Sheppard still has a ways to go. Our D-front looks good but we desperately need LB's.

I too felt that the Bills should have been more conservative at that point, but I respect Gailey descision to take a shot there.

In actuality, if Fitz doesn't underthrow the ball, its a walk-in TD for Stevie and everyone would be praising Gailey for the gutsy call.

Fitz threw some amazingly accurate passes throughout the game, but the 2 throws on the INT's were absolutely horrendous--interestingly enough, they were both on the exact same route and were both underthrown.

Love how Fitz has been playing this year, but I'm sure if you asked him, he would take full responsibility for the loss.

10) Number 4? Well, I was thinking of posting Grateful Dead lyrics in my weekly post. Actually, I thought that the Dead were just that, but John Kadlecik brought them back with "Furthur." And I will be at MSG to see them in November.

On your first point, I don't think we have anyone on this team that can run a go route as good as Lee Evans. This was a game we could have used him providing the throws to him would be accurate. The go route was there today big time. Don't get me wrong I love what David Nelson brings but as witnessed against Cincy, Philly and Giants we have a hard time stretching the field. I smell a big and quick receiver coming in the draft.

Edited by VADC Bills

Our D-front looks good but we desperately need LB's.

Simon, every linebacker on Alabama is great. Courtney Upshaw can bring it from the outside and is even great against the run. Donta Hightower and Nico Johnson are immediate starters as well.

Alabama alone will provide top all we could ask for at LB. I hope our front office doesn't screw it up.

I was having a problem catching on to #10. Could you explain that one to me? Also, one other thing. The pass rush against the Giants today was non existent.

Well put, as always. It is hard to pin a loss on any one play or decision. My view is the there were two key "nails in the coffin": 1) CG's decision to pass rather than run w/ 4 minutes left and already being in FG range (I know this has been hotly debated in other threads, but I think it is wrong to just assume Giants march down field and score a TD and win, which is heroically assuming we get stopped quickly and get a FG)

That said, I am thrilled we are 4 and 2, and especially given that I live in the DC area, I really hope we win in 2 weeks!

Stevie was wide open for a TD and the ball was horribly underthrown...9 out of 10 times that is 7 points, today it happened to be an interception. There was nothing wrong with the play calling, just with the execution. If Fitz made a halfway decent throw, we are talking about how Gailey always has his foot on the accelerator and we are 5-1. Can't have it both ways. That play was wide open, and Fitz threw a horrible ball.

Its not on Gailey to make the plays, its on his players to execute them, especially when they are wide open.

Bolded part EXACTLY. And a touch pass deep is not putting a QB who is an inaccurate passer in a position to succeed.

Very bad decision on Gaileys part to call that play and on Fitz's part for throwing it. Stevie didn't help matters any with the stupid facemask either.

Eh, out of conference game and 4-2 at the bye is way better than I had hoped for at the bye. Overall I am happy.

Bolded part EXACTLY. And a touch pass deep is not putting a QB who is an inaccurate passer in a position to succeed.

Very bad decision on Gaileys part to call that play and on Fitz's part for throwing it. Stevie didn't help matters any with the stupid facemask either.

Eh, out of conference game and 4-2 at the bye is way better than I had hoped for at the bye. Overall I am happy.

That pass occurred when the Bills had the ball on the 27 yard line so I would differ with your characterization.

As pointed out by Dungy tonight, Fitz was so gun shy about the Giants pass rush he threw that ball back pedaling and did not set his feet at all. Really bizarre throw by Fitz and when you watch it closely you can see his mechanics are all screwed up. I love Fitz but that throw was all on him. Stevie was open and had separation.

Interesting that Manning threw it away last week at the end with a bizarre INT and this week it's Fitz'z turn. BTW- Drew Brees also ended his game with a terrible INT in the Bucs end zone. All great QBs throw some bad picks.

I really think the difference in the game was the pass rush they had and one we did not have.

It was a factor on both interceptions and the blown drive at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Another good post aided by whiskey and The Dead.

That pass occurred when the Bills had the ball on the 27 yard line so I would differ with your characterization.

Agreed, why do people keep referring to this play as a deep ball? It was a 15-20 yard pass that he put way too much air under. This wasn't some 40-50 yard pass in the air. It was a throw he should have made to a WIDE OPEN SJ13.

And as far as the running thing, I stated this in other threads but apparently no one was paying attention to the fact that after Freddies 80 yard run, Freddie was averaging about 2.7 YPC. The Bills ran pretty terrible after that. We could have run the ball 3 times and gotten no where, left them with 2+ mins left on the clock and the Bills attempting a 40+ yard field goal. And you think the defense would have stopped them from coming back and at least getting a field goal to tie?

The play was the right one. It was there. But Fitzys execution was terrible.

the offense is struggling missing 3 recievers and a slightly gimp stevie. our lack of talent here is shortening the field for us. freddy had some good runs, but he was under 3 yards a carry if you discount the 80 yard td.

suprisingly even without impact it seems kelsay and merriman do have presence, it was noticed today. what confused me today was that the dl stopped getting their hands up at. this is why we lead in ints, not our backfield or dl. we create our own opportunity, and today we showed that we dont have the talent alone on that side of the ball quite yet. hopefully it is there just not yet developed.

the constant use in teh 1st of saftey blitz with wilson was perplexing to me. so far our greatest player in the secondary was basically deemed non-existent because he was busy failing at rushing the qb. for gods sake, send reggie corner or anybody else in a white jersey. this would be a non issue for me, but it was all 1st half long and i didnt get it

on the money. the bolded part also has me a bit bummed out. they just showed the replay again on TV, and fitz had the entire corner of the end zone to throw to. a dude with a 23409345234 on his SATs should know that overthrowing is better than underthrowing in that situation. if he overshoots stevie, we're probably 5-1.