I hate all this pink gear

Scrappy

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But I have one for you...what should I do with my pink shirts?

Give them to your boyfriend? :unsure:

:devil:

Edited by markinsd

I seriously think the pink interfered with the call on that Stevie Johnson crucial call near the end of the game. At first glance of the replay, something pink looked like it touched the ground and messed with my eyes. I believe it was the defenders towel? From far away in live action I can see the ref saying no catch based on seeing that pink item. But in the replay I don't understand why it was still called incomplete. Just doesn't make sense. Get rid of the pink.

I know what you mean. I wasn't sure it was a bad call when I first saw the replay - turns out what I thought might be the ball being bobbled was actually a rapid blur of pink gloves, pink towels, and pink shoes...

You have to be a full blown idiot to start a thread like this one.

I think there is way too much cancer and sufferingb in the world.

Anytime a team or any organization bands together to fight CANCER is a good day.

The thing about pink being a girl's color is one of the lamest things I've seen.

It was Elvis that made pink cool for everyone .He also bought pink cadalacs.

I started a similiar thread about this month of pink, it's overkill & actually makes me want to avoid this cause.

You would think the NFL might want to bring notice to the most common cancer among men from 15-40, one which has killed multiple NFL players, and one which would be the most likely for their main demographic to get but who probably don't know balls about it....and that's testicular cancer.

You have to be a full blown idiot to start a thread like this one.

I think there is way too much cancer and sufferingb in the world.

Anytime a team or any organization bands together to fight CANCER is a good day.

The thing about pink being a girl's color is one of the lamest things I've seen.

It was Elvis that made pink cool for everyone .He also bought pink cadalacs.

Yeah, too much cancer. Cancer, bad.

Also too much pink. Why not just paint the whole stadium pink?

As a volunteer at Roswell and as one whose life is touched by cancer every day (my brother is waging a battle with stage 4 throat/larynx cancer, now metastasizing to his liver and abdomen), I'm all for raising awareness and money in the battle to eradicate the disease. Putting pink gloves, shoes, towels, etc., on football players is a dumb idea. Well intentioned, but stupidly inappropriate on the gridiron. JMO.

(BTW, I'm pretty sure Elvis bought the pink Caddy for his mother. At least that's what they told me at Graceland, anyway. Most of Elvis's Cadillacs - and he bought a ton of 'em - were white.)

I know this is politically incorrect, but is the NFL's pink breast cancer awareness campaign out of control?

Let me preface this by saying I, like many of you, have had people close to me affected by the disease. Let me also preface it by saying I know what tremendous good the foundation behind the campaign has done for breast cancer.

But I've also had people close to me affected by other types of cancer.

Way too much pink. Pink gloves. Pink socks. Pink hats. Pink websites. Pink coins. Pink in the stands. Even pink shoes. Do they really have to be so in your face? All. Month. Long.

I'd rather the NFL just donate a larger chunk of profits to the cause.

Too much pink it looks ridicules, one wrist band is plenty let the cheerleaders wear pink.

This thing is a parody of a parody. Its like the Seinfeld bit...:"YOU DONT WEAR DA RRRRRRIBBON???" If you come out and say anything against the groupthink, youre a bad person. Please. Awareness is one thing. Cancer is a terrible, awful diseased I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy and SGK does good work. But Im sorry....draping athletes and the coaches and the stadium in pink from head to toe is pretentious, cheap and annoying. And doing it for a month makes it obnoxious.

And yes...I have cancer in my family....who DOESNT?

And for the kneejerk nimrods out there let me translate.......Im not against SGK or their work. Im against an awareness campaign what was poorly thought out and its ****ty execution. Just becuase the cause is good, that doesnt mean their marketing departments are immune from critique.

Edited by RkFast

See, this is the kind of stance that makes sense. I have no problem that.

See your underlined section. Show me numbers on that.

The evidence is as plain as day... there is very few mens apparel in pink for a reason. The numbers are evident at every single large department store out there, clear as day.

http://www.oldnavy.com/products/mens-clothing.jsp

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_12605_Clothing_Men%27s?i_cntr=1317729098316

http://www1.macys.com/shop/mens?id=1&edge=hybrid&cm_re=2.4.12-_-HOMEPAGE_INCLUDE_1-_-CATEGORY%20--%205125%20--%201:men&LinkType=Homepage

Good luck in finding the overabundance of PINK choices for colors.

It should be noted that the "but pink is a WOMAN'S color" argument is bunkum. The whole thing is based on some inane (and plastic) social construct. In fact, it used to be that pink was considered a masculine color not 70 years ago. Some 70 years from now, it will probably change again just because people are weird like that.

It just doesn't sell for men hardly at all, and yet we are still having this argument? If it were more popular, it would be more available for men, but it isn't...

the campaign is working....

you all are talking about it....

which is a good thing !!....even tho some of these comments are shameful.

How is it you think the campaign is 'working'?

I haven't given a dime to the cause that could be attributed to the campaign, and have spent more time and effort in the last 12 hours trying eradicate the color pink than to fight breast cancer :blink:

It should be noted that the "but pink is a WOMAN'S color" argument is bunkum. The whole thing is based on some inane (and plastic) social construct. In fact, it used to be that pink was considered a masculine color not 70 years ago. Some 70 years from now, it will probably change again just because people are weird like that.

I was wondering if you might know of additional ridiculous, outdated, 70-plus year-old customs/conventions/practices/fashion-trends/etc.? :unsure:

GO BIG PINK?????

I haven't given a dime to the cause that could be attributed to the campaign, and have spent more time and effort in the last 12 hours trying eradicate the color pink than to fight breast cancer :blink:

I was wondering if you might know of additional ridiculous, outdated, 70-plus year-old customs/conventions/practices/fashion-trends/etc.? :unsure:

GO BIG PINK?????

If you watched any NFL games last weekend, it was hard to miss the flood of pink promotional merchandise worn by players, refs, and fans alike. And for those who are still confused as to why, the answer is simple: Breast Cancer Awareness! Throughout October, the partnership between the NFL and the American Cancer Society is on full display, and it’s certainly a sight to behold.

The official NFL Pink website explains, “NFL games will feature players, coaches and referees wearing pink game apparel, on-field pink ribbon stencils, special game balls and pink coins – all to help raise awareness for this important campaign. All apparel worn at games by players and coaches, along with special game balls and pink coins will be auctioned off at NFL Auction, with proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society and team charities. This is an issue that has directly touched the lives of so many in the NFL family, and we are committed to helping make a difference in breast cancer prevention.”

This high-impact awareness campaign is a testament to the power of promotional merchandise. Not only do these pink apparel items and branded game accessories generate a tremendous amount of public buzz, but they also double as fundraising promos to draw in money for an important cause (the pink items also relate an important lesson regarding the power of color when it comes to branding).

If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to build awareness for your brand, you’d be smart to take a few notes from the NFL and the American Cancer Society. Promotional products offer the visibility, appeal, and return on investment that every company needs to build a successful and well-recognized brand!

* Raise Awareness: A sea of pink will put a spotlight on breast cancer.

* Prompt Action: More women will get cancer screenings, with early detection vitally important.

* Raise Money: Fund-raising efforts will ensure better treatments and help find a cure.

* Save Lives: With the NFL's action comes support. With support comes a greater chance of survival for all women.

Edited by papazoid

If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to build awareness for your brand, you’d be smart to take a few notes from the NFL and the American Cancer Society. Promotional products offer the visibility, appeal, and return on investment that every company needs to build a successful and well-recognized brand![/b]

Of course, it is all about just supporting breast cancer!!!! <_<

God forbid we find a CURE for cancer, or another marketing avenue is shut forever... how sick can people be?

If you watched any NFL games last weekend, it was hard to miss the flood of pink promotional merchandise worn by players, refs, and fans alike. And for those who are still confused as to why, the answer is simple: Breast Cancer Awareness! Throughout October, the partnership between the NFL and the American Cancer Society is on full display, and it’s certainly a sight to behold.

The official NFL Pink website explains, “NFL games will feature players, coaches and referees wearing pink game apparel, on-field pink ribbon stencils, special game balls and pink coins – all to help raise awareness for this important campaign. All apparel worn at games by players and coaches, along with special game balls and pink coins will be auctioned off at NFL Auction, with proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society and team charities. This is an issue that has directly touched the lives of so many in the NFL family, and we are committed to helping make a difference in breast cancer prevention.”

This high-impact awareness campaign is a testament to the power of promotional merchandise. Not only do these pink apparel items and branded game accessories generate a tremendous amount of public buzz, but they also double as fundraising promos to draw in money for an important cause (the pink items also relate an important lesson regarding the power of color when it comes to branding).

If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to build awareness for your brand, you’d be smart to take a few notes from the NFL and the American Cancer Society. Promotional products offer the visibility, appeal, and return on investment that every company needs to build a successful and well-recognized brand!

* Prompt Action: More women will get cancer screenings, with early detection vitally important.

* Raise Money: Fund-raising efforts will ensure better treatments and help find a cure.

* Save Lives: With the NFL's action comes support. With support comes a greater chance of survival for all women.

1) Show me the data - not the NFL/ACS's PR statements - and I'll analyze the campaign's success for myself;

2) Show me any data that says pink is more effective than any other colour, tint, or hue as it relates to raising money and awareness for this cause.

Edited by The Senator

1) Show me the data - not the NFL/ACS's PR statements - and I'll analyze the campaign's success for myself;

2) Show me any data that says pink is more effective that any other colour, tint, or hue as it relates to raising money and awareness for this cause.

they could have picked any color to start with....the fact is, that now the color pink is BRANDED to breast cancer. from a marketing standpoint, it has been wildly successful.

i would also like to say that there are many, many other hideous diseases and causes that deserve the awareness and support that the NFL is giving to breast cancer awareness. why they chose this charity, i don't know. but it is a good thing to try and save lives.

they could have picked any color to start with....the fact is, that now the color pink is BRANDED to breast cancer. from a marketing standpoint, it has been wildly successful.

i would also like to say that there are many, many other hideous diseases and causes that deserve the awareness and support that the NFL is giving to breast cancer awareness. why they chose this charity, i don't know. but it is a good thing to try and save lives.

Again, I'll repeat, show me the data - not the NFL/ACS marketing departments' joint PR releases - and I'll determine the success of the campaign for myself as it relates to the NFL increasing their market-share among women (which is, after all, the NFL's goal in this particular campaign).

In the meantime, take the damned pink off of the players. It looks ridiculous.

JMO.

Edited by The Senator

Wow. What a bunch of idiots. You do realize that everything the players are wearing/using that is pink will get auctioned off on nfl dot com, right? And that every single item will end up being sold, so that means that there will easily be over a million dollars dedicated to cancer research/awareness.

If anyone thinks there is anything wrong with that for any reason ... you're a complete moron.

Edited by gugny

Wow. What a bunch of idiots. You do realize that everything the players are wearing/using that is pink will get auctioned off on nfl dot com, right? And that every single item will end up being sold, so that means that there will easily be over a million dollars dedicated to cancer research/awareness.

If anyone thinks there is anything wrong with that for any reason ... you're a complete moron.

Wow, I'm really stupid. I didn't know you could only auction things that are pink.

GO BIG PINK?????

i'm sure there are hundreds of "causes" that you have not contributed to.....and yet hundreds of causes continue to raise millions of dollars.

this breast awareness campaign is all about goodness......and yet you continue to try and find fault with it.

Did you know?

» Because of inadequate federal funding of the breast and cervical cancer screening program, fewer than one in five eligible women get the lifesaving breast cancer screening and treatment they need.

» Breast cancer is the second-most common cancer among women in the United States, but with mammography, it can be found early when the chances of surviving it are high.

» You can help reduce your risk of having breast cancer with regular physical activity, maintaining a health weight, and limiting the amount of alcohol you drink.

» More women than ever are surviving breast cancer through early detection and improved treatments.

If anyone in this country is unaware of breast cancer in this day and age, a campaign to fight mental retardation would be more effective.

Or at least existence. There's some breast cancer patients I know whom I wouldn't consider to be "surviving" all that well.

i'm sure there are hundreds of "causes" that you have not contributed to.....and yet hundreds of causes continue to raise millions of dollars.

this breast awareness campaign is all about goodness......and yet you continue to try and find fault with it.

Did you know?

» Because of inadequate federal funding of the breast and cervical cancer screening program, fewer than one in five eligible women get the lifesaving breast cancer screening and treatment they need.

» Breast cancer is the second-most common cancer among women in the United States, but with mammography, it can be found early when the chances of surviving it are high.

» You can help reduce your risk of having breast cancer with regular physical activity, maintaining a health weight, and limiting the amount of alcohol you drink.

» More women than ever are surviving breast cancer through early detection and improved treatments.

I'm sorry, I thought the thread was about 'Too much pink'. Guess I was misled by the title.

And yeah, I wish I had Warren Buffet's money so I could contribute to EVERY worthy cause - but I don't.

I do, however, support breast (and other) cancer research thru financial (and other) contributions - and have since I was first approached in 2000 to sponsor/contribute/participate in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk.

I just don't wear pink. Sorry again.

I'm sorry, I thought the thread was about 'Too much pink'. Guess I was misled by the title.

And yeah, I wish I had Warren Buffet's money so I could contribute to EVERY worthy cause - but I don't.

I do, however, support breast (and other) cancer research thru financial (and other) contributions - and have since I was first approached in 2000 to sponsor/contribute/participate in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk.

I just don't wear pink. Sorry again.

I totally understand, Senator. I'm not disagreeing that there's a ton of pink. All I'm saying that, it's proven to make a ton of money for a very worthy cause ... and yes, there are many worthy causes. It's a pretty easy thing to overlook when the end result is saving someone's life. My "moron" comment wasn't aimed directly at you, believe me. I apologize if you thought it was. This is just a pretty touchy subject.

I totally understand, Senator. I'm not disagreeing that there's a ton of pink. All I'm saying that, it's proven to make a ton of money for a very worthy cause ... and yes, there are many worthy causes. It's a pretty easy thing to overlook when the end result is saving someone's life. My "moron" comment wasn't aimed directly at you, believe me. I apologize if you thought it was. This is just a pretty touchy subject.

No worries - I'm not offended. No blood, no foul. Never thought you meant me (or anyone) specifically; rather that you were just being passionate about the cause.

And yes, there are many worthy causes.

(Also, many worthy colours. B-) )

I have little problem with the pink. I think it's a great campaign and is helping raise awareness, and looks like it will also directly raise significant money.

Pertaning to earlier comments:

Pink is not just a 'girl' color. Men and boys can and do wear pink as well, and that's just fine. Aren't there more important things than getting worked up over clothing color choice? Try not to be so small-minded. A boy "looking like a girl" is also not something that should be seen as an insult. Is there something wrong with being a girl? That is patently chauvinistic.

I understand there is a cultural stereotype about pink. I just don't agree with it.

On another front, confronting people and making them feel bad about themselves (for clothing choice or whatever) is reprehensible, and can be very damaging to children. If you act this way, you ought to really feel bad about yourself. :thumbsup:

I agree this is part of the NFL marketing to attract and broaden the female audience.

The complaints that the pink made it harder to see the ball and might have effected the call on the Johnson reception are legitimate, and I agree with them. I think in that regard the pink is distracting and should be farther from the ball.

Can anyone confirm that the pink will be this prevalent for the whole month? Didn't they do this last year (awareness month) but were only this saturated the first week, and more subtle after that?

Did you know?

I find fault with the inequity. Breast cancer receives much more research funding and publicity than prostate cancer despite similar number of victims.

In fiscal year 2009, breast cancer research received $872 million worth of federal funding, while prostate cancer received $390 million

I find fault with the inequity. Breast cancer receives much more research funding and publicity than prostate cancer despite similar number of victims.

In fiscal year 2009, breast cancer research received $872 million worth of federal funding, while prostate cancer received $390 million

Not to mention, there also happens to be a lovely powder blue/pink ribbon to provide some equity in building much-needed awareness of both female and the mostly-ignored instances of male breast cancer...

post-2970-006194400 1317739308_thumb.png

I believe the average prognosis for prostate cancer is significantly better than for breast cancer, as it tends to be less aggressive. So the rate of prevalence may be similar, but that doesn't mean we can equate the two.

That said, I believe that there is an undeniable bias toward women's health in our country.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

That said, I believe that there is an undeniable bias toward women's health in our country.

Important to note, thought, that that's a recent development (within the past 20 years, probably less). And due in no small part to the marketing skills of organizations like Komen.

I believe the average prognosis for prostate cancer is significantly better than for breast cancer, as it tends to be less aggressive. So the rate of prevalence may be similar, but that doesn't mean we can equate the two.

Men die six years sooner than women. There are more than four widows for every widower.

So, it would only seem fair that more health research and health education dollars be spent on men than on women. Yet in the budget of every federal health agency, more money is spent on women’s health than on men’s. There are seven federal health agencies specifically for women. Not one for men. 39 of the 50 states have an office of women’s health, only six have one for men. A search of more than 3,000 medical journals listed in Index Medicus found that 23 articles were written on women’s health for each one written on men’s. Although a woman is only 14 percent more likely to die from breast cancer than a man is from prostate cancer, funding for breast cancer research is 660 percent greater than funding for prostate cancer research. Even the post office has gotten into the act: there is only one disease for which you can buy a postage stamp and the profits will go to research to cure the disease: breast cancer, even though heart disease kills millions more men prematurely. Before the age of 65, men die of heart attacks at three times the rate of women.

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/should-we-pay-more-attention-mens-health_id1231

Men die six years sooner than women. There are more than four widows for every widower.

So, it would only seem fair that more health research and health education dollars be spent on men than on women.

Of course, you're making the assumption that all deaths are due to health issues.

Which is a seriously idiotic assumption. Why don't you break out the early deaths in both sexes attributable to non-health issues (e.g. accidents), and then check the disparity?

So, it would only seem fair that more health research and health education dollars be spent on men than on women.

That's a tremendous reach - it could be quite simply that more women shoot their husbands.

Of course, you're making the assumption that all deaths are due to health issues.

Which is a seriously idiotic assumption. Why don't you break out the early deaths in both sexes attributable to non-health issues (e.g. accidents), and then check the disparity?

To be fair, getting hit really hard by a car isn't healthy either.

As for the big complaint of this thread, I'd be willing to guess that an event like this raises the awareness for other cancers as well. From this thread, it's clear that people are more than aware of those other forms. Just because you're seeing all this pink doesn't mean you have to turn around and donate time/money specifically to breast cancer research. Donate to pancreatic, to testicular, to whatever you want. If the pink just happened to be the reminder for making that cancer donation, success.