"Bills Fear Fitzpatrick's Leverage Will Only Increase"

Rubes

I mean, clearly, we have a fallback option of the franchise tag. So there's no reasonable way that Fitz ends up in a non-Bills uniform in 2012. Who would really make a play for him? Miami, Indianapolis (Manning-dependent), Denver, Washington, and Seattle seem like the primary movers for a QB next year, and Luck will go to one of them (likely Seattle.) So there's enough competition to keep a price high, but it's not a high-desperation time for QBs, so I think we can hold under $10M/season, though not by much. I think a 5 year, $48M contract is reasonable for Fitz, with something like $20M guaranteed and a fair amount of cash backloaded. Starting QBs really get paid in this league right now, even if they're not Peyton Manning. Fitz will easily be able to point to the Romos and Kolbs of the world.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You think he deserves Manning or Brady money? I don't think so, but he should get paid like a franchise QB.

I don't think we have to worry about him leaving. We're the team who resurrected his career and he's the heart and soul of our team. If we offer him a reasonable contract, he'l likely take it, not like some DB who wouldl feel "dissed" and jump ship.

Exactly. We are not talking "Twhitner" here.

Look at the amount of money they threw at Kelsay because he was such a locker room guy.

Fitzpatrick is that and more.

Time for Buffalo to **** or get off the pot. If you think that Fitz is the guy to lead this team for the next 3-4 years sign him up, now. Will you have to 'over pay' him? Probably. The alternative is going into an offseason without a #1. Does anybody really want that?

If the Bills do re-sign him might we come to regret it? Possibly.

It's a risk/reward business. I think that the Bills need to take the risk and sign him. Leave QB out of the mix this FA and draft offseason and concentrate your efforts where they are more needed.

Or...you stay the course and hope that he doesn't perform lights out through the rest of the season.

You know, that's going to be the media angle until the Bills actually do spend $ on a QB. They will say Ralph pinches pennies until he doesn't, and is worried about having to pay more for good players until he does. Because that's been the general story --- we either say lots and do little, use the leverage to pay guys below their worth (e.g. using Freddie's RFA status at age 30 to sign him cheap) or ship out guys that are expecting paydays. For people who don't know or follow the Bills, that's what they've seen.

Granted, the LARGE $ above $7-8M (factoring in signing bonus amortization) should be tied up in performance incentives.

I don't think the Bills have much to worry about in this regard. First off, its early in the season. 2008 taught me to be wary of early success. I want to see how we do against the Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, etc. before I start getting to hyperbolic. I think its fair to say that we have not yet witnessed the Bills look so explosive on offense in years. And that has a lot to do with Fitzpatrick and his relationship with Gailey. Simply, he's Gailey's type of guy. They compliment each other very well. I don't know if he would be the same QB playing in another scheme, for another coach. Fitz is very underrated, but he does, at times, make terrible throws. He caught 2-3 big breaks today. That TD pass to Chandler could have easily been intercepted, as could the deep out to Jones (the play when Jones saved the game by knocking the ball out of the CB's hands). If those two balls were INTs, the Bills would have lost and Fitz would have had 3 picks. The conversation would have been very different. I know sports is always a game of woulda, coulda shouldas and I love Fitzpatrick. But, lets see how the whole season plays out before we anoint him as the QB of the future..

[/quote

Nah, just like you can tell Miller was more than just a guy... Fitz is for real. Pay the man. That's not to say we don't look for the next guy. I would guess a prospect in the 3-5th round would be a priority in 2012.

I don't think the Bills have much to worry about in this regard. First off, its early in the season. 2008 taught me to be wary of early success. I want to see how we do against the Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, etc. before I start getting to hyperbolic. I think its fair to say that we have not yet witnessed the Bills look so explosive on offense in years. And that has a lot to do with Favre and his relationship with Gailey. Simply, he's Gailey's type of guy. They compliment each other very well. I don't know if he would be the same QB playing in another scheme, for another coach. Favre is very underrated, but he does, at times, make terrible throws. He caught 2-3 big breaks today. That TD pass to Chandler could have easily been intercepted, as could the deep out to Jones (the play when Jones saved the game by knocking the ball out of the CB's hands). If those two balls were INTs, the Bills would have lost and Farve would have had 3 picks. The conversation would have been very different. I know sports is always a game of woulda, coulda shouldas and I love Favre. But, lets see how the whole season plays out before we anoint him as the QB of the future..

Just imagine If the Packers had taken your advice.

The Amish Rifle is a gunslinger. You going to have a weird throw here and there, but most of the time you just open up the possibility of a big play

Fitzpatrick turns 30 next November, so there is some value in signing him due to his age, but he spent a couple of years holding a clipboard, which gives him less wear on his body than most NFL QBs his age.

Fitz ages quicker than most evidently becasue hes only 27...

Just imagine If the Packers had taken your advice.

The Amish Rifle is a smart gunslinger. You going to have a weird throw here and there, but most of the time you just open up the possibility of a big play

His ability to quickly make a decision, and much more often than not through 2 games, make the right decision puts us at 2-0.

I still marvel at the simplicity of our final offensive play. It was beautifully designed and executed flawlessly. How often do you find a wide open WR that close to the end zone?

After the way Fitz has improved each season and the big jump he's made this year, if he has a couple of more monster games, I anoint him franchise QB and pay him franchise QB money.

You were probably really happy about that Dick Jauron mid-season extension too, huh?

He had two good games against one mediocre and one awful team....lets keep our heads.

We could easily still be a 6-10 team this season. Bills had a very easy starting schedule...that won't last

Edited by Endless Ike

Seriously.

Union's small minded, hedging your bet mentality is what puts the Bills in this situation.

You're basically hopping your players do NOT perform well so you can pay them less.

It's beyond stupid for an NFL franchise to operate that way.

Good teams pay their players, the ones they want, before they become Free Agents, not after.

The time to pay Fitz and SJ13 was August 2011. Now, like usual, we can watch them play in a different uniform in 2012.

There has never been a contract extention for a Buffalo Bills player that the Buffalo Bills gave regretted in the history of the Buffalo Bills. Why?

Because contracts in the NFL are meaningless. The Buffalo Bills could cut the player on any given Wednesday.

Get the players that your offense is built on, under contract, instead of pretending their is some alternative, long term plan.

You don't pay guys after 1 good season, or a good season and a handful of games. If that means you have to pay more just to be sure, so be it. But to suggest the Bills are hoping their players do not perform well so they can pay them less is silly.

Did you see Chan's postgame interview where he danced hard around the words "franchise QB"? He gave Fitzpatrick high praise - called him a "winning NFL QB", but he fought hard against those two words.

He had the little ghost of Ralph on his shoulder yelling in his ear "Don't Say It!." Not to take anything away from him, but Fitz was far from perfect on sunday. He had one pick, but with any less luck he might have had 5 or 6 that he threw poorly. I like the spark he gives the team though, he give 110% all game. Maybe the Bills should play the odds and hold off on further negotiations until after this sundays games.