"Bills Fear Fitzpatrick's Leverage Will Only Increase"

Rubes

After the Sunday Night game, NBC had a headline snippet thing at the bottom of the screen during some interviews, and this is what they had to say about the game. I haven't heard anything else in the media about this. Obviously it has to do with contract negotiations, but I'm left wondering where this came from.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fitz continues to play like he is he deserves every penny. Of course his leverage will increase with his continued play. It's good for Fitz's bank account and good for the bills. Wins = fan's butts in seats.

Florio's article is kinda meh if you ask me. i get his point on Kolb and money. Schaub has put up monster numbers over the years. The Texans needed a defense. they have some corners now and a good defensive cordinator. If Peyton was still playing i think the Texans would have given them a run for their money anyway.

Fitzpatrick is a Harvard grad, no way he doesn't get the BEST contract with a HUGE guarantee.

I think the Bills are afraid of a Jauron - give the man a contract extension and he folds like a lawn chair.

I would think the two sides could negotiate enough performance incentives to be fair to both parties.

Where if Fitzy continues to play at a high level, he would get paid at a very high level.

After the way Fitz has improved each season and the big jump he's made this year, if he has a couple of more monster games, I anoint him franchise QB and pay him franchise QB money.

Did you see Chan's postgame interview where he danced hard around the words "franchise QB"? He gave Fitzpatrick high praise - called him a "winning NFL QB", but he fought hard against those two words.

Did you see Chan's postgame interview where he danced hard around the words "franchise QB"? He gave Fitzpatrick high praise - called him a "winning NFL QB", but he fought hard against those two words.

I saw that but i took it as a very genuine response and absolutely nothing to do with paying him. In fact, I would bet anything that Chan wants to pay Fitz more than the Bills want to pay Fitz. He loves the guy, and rightfully so.

I don't think the Bills have much to worry about in this regard. First off, its early in the season. 2008 taught me to be wary of early success. I want to see how we do against the Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, etc. before I start getting to hyperbolic. I think its fair to say that we have not yet witnessed the Bills look so explosive on offense in years. And that has a lot to do with Fitzpatrick and his relationship with Gailey. Simply, he's Gailey's type of guy. They compliment each other very well. I don't know if he would be the same QB playing in another scheme, for another coach. Fitz is very underrated, but he does, at times, make terrible throws. He caught 2-3 big breaks today. That TD pass to Chandler could have easily been intercepted, as could the deep out to Jones (the play when Jones saved the game by knocking the ball out of the CB's hands). If those two balls were INTs, the Bills would have lost and Fitz would have had 3 picks. The conversation would have been very different. I know sports is always a game of woulda, coulda shouldas and I love Fitzpatrick. But, lets see how the whole season plays out before we anoint him as the QB of the future..

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Chrismas" -Don Meredith

Seriously.

Union's small minded, hedging your bet mentality is what puts the Bills in this situation.

You're basically hopping your players do NOT perform well so you can pay them less.

It's beyond stupid for an NFL franchise to operate that way.

Good teams pay their players, the ones they want, before they become Free Agents, not after.

The time to pay Fitz and SJ13 was August 2011. Now, like usual, we can watch them play in a different uniform in 2012.

There has never been a contract extention for a Buffalo Bills player that the Buffalo Bills gave regretted in the history of the Buffalo Bills. Why?

Because contracts in the NFL are meaningless. The Buffalo Bills could cut the player on any given Wednesday.

Get the players that your offense is built on, under contract, instead of pretending their is some alternative, long term plan.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I really dislike using the term "franchise QB" too. Can't stand it actually. Gets on my nerves.

I don't think the Bills have much to worry about in this regard. First off, its early in the season. 2008 taught me to be wary of early success. I want to see how we do against the Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, etc. before I start getting to hyperbolic. I think its fair to say that we have not yet witnessed the Bills look so explosive on offense in years. And that has a lot to do with Fitzpatrick and his relationship with Gailey. Simply, he's Gailey's type of guy. They compliment each other very well. I don't know if he would be the same QB playing in another scheme, for another coach. Fitz is very underrated, but he does, at times, make terrible throws. He caught 2-3 big breaks today. That TD pass to Chandler could have easily been intercepted, as could the deep out to Jones (the play when Jones saved the game by knocking the ball out of the CB's hands). If those two balls were INTs, the Bills would have lost and Fitz would have had 3 picks. The conversation would have been very different. I know sports is always a game of woulda, coulda shouldas and I love Fitzpatrick. But, lets see how the whole season plays out before we anoint him as the QB of the future..

What does the guy have to do to get any more respect? Honestly, 5 consecutive drives resulting in a TD and your still not convinced?

Trent Edwards after 4 games in 2008:

4 TD, 2 INT, 930 yards passing, 65.5% completion rate, 109 points of offense, never threw for more than 11 touchdowns

Ryan Fitzpatrick after 2 games in 2011/history:

7 TD, 1 INT, 472 yards passing, 63.4% completion rate, 79 points of offense, 23 touchdowns in 2010

Pay the man, please, now, as I have been saying...

Fitzpatrick is a Harvard grad, no way he doesn't get the BEST contract with a HUGE guarantee.

You think he deserves Manning or Brady money? I don't think so, but he should get paid like a franchise QB.

I don't think we have to worry about him leaving. We're the team who resurrected his career and he's the heart and soul of our team. If we offer him a reasonable contract, he'l likely take it, not like some DB who wouldl feel "dissed" and jump ship.