Your lowest moment as a fan

Billzfan23

Wide Right. Music city miracle. Kelly's retirement. Reed/Smith/Thomas being released. Donahue being hired. Jauron being hired. 15 straight losses to New England.

Those are my darkest moments.

C'mon...that looked like a great hire at the time...of course, I still say TD had us a lot closer to what we all want, and we would have been there by now, had he not been canned, in favor of those that followed...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another low moment came a couple of years ago, when we drafted CJ Spiller. I yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" at the TV, immediately shut it off, and went to the bar to drink. I needed to blow off some steam. Reaffirmed a belief that franchise leadership had no clue.

I did that when we drafted Leodis McKelvin.

Bills vs 49ers at the Ralph. This was J.P. Losman's last attempt to prove he was an NFL quarterback. He failed miserably and couldnt even throw to his fullback 5 yards in front of him. I really liked JP and thought he was our future. That day, I realized our future was dead.

Edited by Bills!Win!

Most painful:

Wide Right and Homerun Throwback games.

So Ridiculously Billsian you have to laugh:

Dallas Monday-nighter and New England 2009.

Most disgusted:

Hiring of Jauron and benching of Flutie

Saddest:

December 1994 home loss to the Patriots which eliminated us from the playoffs. Reich led us to a 17-3 lead before it all fell apart and we lost 41-17. You could literally feel in the stadium that the "magic" was gone and that we were coming to the end of an era. I will always look back on that day as the unofficial end of the Kelly/Thomas/Smith/Reed/Levy era.

And the day we released Thomas, Smith and Reed. I still can't believe we sent those guys out in such an undignified manner. No wonder we've been cursed for a decade.

This. What a sad, sad day.

The SF game there with pillsbury at the helm was sad.

The Dallas Monday nighter was sadder.

Saddest was the Sunday night game NE beat the daylights out of us. We weren't even third tier that night

Seriously? The Bills were not a good team that year. How was that game a low moment?

oh lord I have had this conversation too many times. I think the worst recent loss was the season opener against the patriots in new england when we blew a two score lead in the final minutes (the McKelvin fumble initiated it). But the worst is still the music city miracle. I mean words can't describe losing a game on a kickoff return, and then how it was borderline illegal made it a drawn out pain.

Watching the first game of the season with the Bills beating the Patriots 35-0. Then Going to the last game of the season and watching the Bills get killed 35-0 with more Patriot fans around me then Bills fans. I felt like I was at a stadium in NE and not NY, that was bad.

It is crazy how many there are, and when you see them lined up here...it is amazing I keep buying tickets!!

The disintegration of Trent Edwards, with Jauron as HC was almost my breaking point. The Cleveland game, 6-3 was the worst game I have ever watched. It wasn't the most painful, because there was no high to crash down from. MNF v. Pats was bad, but ended up being a non-factor.

The Home Run Throwback had to be the worst. I was telling anybody that would listen...and still do if I get baited in...that we could have won the Super Bowl. Flutie was so fun to watch, and had a bigger heart than maybe any other player I've ever seen. He was never supposed to be good...it's almost like Freddie now; he's not supposed to be good, but he is, but that isn't enough to convince people. Either way, our D was strong as hell, and the competition was not that stiff. The Rams were good, but we always owned Faulk, and I wasn't sold on Warner.

Too many games to keep listing, so I'll stop, but I will say the Super Bowls were hard, but we were the best team in the league, I felt, the first two. The Cowboys were better by the time we met them. I was young, and I never would have imagined we wouldn't have just kept going.

Go Bills...let's rock the Ralph this weekend!!

Cleveland Monday Nighter in I think it was 2008. We were still mathematically alive. Trent throws a pick on the first 3 possessions or something like that. Team battles back, mostly through the effectiveness of checkdowns by the Captain himself. Then we get within the 40 and Dick goes into a shell and we lose.

As we were leaving the stadium we called our daughter who was at college. I informed her I was officially off of the Dick Jauron bandwagon at that point. No hope in sight. That was the worst.

Melt down season city

Last years game against the Steelers...I am sitting surrounded by Steelers fans including my wife and kids and when they showed the shot of Fitz throwing a beauty and Johnson in the end zone, I jumped like hell amidst groans surrounding me, only to change into cheers a split later......It took me 5 seconds to realize that Johnson had dropped the ball untouched.....and that was it.....I had a tough time sitting in that room after that.

Given all of the optimism and promising start to the season (let's hope the bad lows are in our rear view) - what was your lowest moment of your history as a Bills fan? I'm 34 years old, grew up a Bills fan in southern Missouri of all places. I was 12 years old, volunteering at a food pantry during the summers, and I had a Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas shirt I used to wear to that job all the time. I always talked about Bills news and happening with my boss (the director of the place). He knew I was a fan, and oddly enough, he was a displaced western New Yorker and his younger brother worked as a scout for the Bills. My boss calls his brother, asks him if he can get the Bills to do something nice for me - and I end up getting a huge package in the mail with an autographed picture of Jim Kelly - and a bunch of Bills stuff in 1991.

Of course, when I was 13, 14, 15, and 16 years old - the Bills lost superbowls. Every single one of them stung like hell. But...I have to say - in 1997 I went to my first Bills game ever. I had moved to Boston right out of high school - and was at the Bills/Pats game in the fall of 1997. The game was a home game in Foxboro for the Pats, and first place in the division was on the line. Jim Kelly had retired, Thurman was still on the team - and there I was, decked out in Bills gear - and Todd Collins gets injured, the Bills get blown out (with Billy Joe Hobert who later admitted he didn't know the playbook) and it was an ugly year. The end of that game was the lowest point for me as a fan (yes, even lower than the Gregg Willams era)

For some reason, being there, seeing it live, getting heckled, etc...sucked worse than the home run throwback in January of 2000.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but out of curiosity - what was your lowest point?

There have been numerous low moments as a Bills fan, but one that stick out for me was the week prior and leading up to the "Music City Ripoff." I was at the game when they played Rob Johnson against the Colts, supposedly to rest Flutie, then a day or two later they announced that Johnson was going to start. To me that just killed what at the time was the hottest team in the AFC at the end of the season. Then to find out later that Ralph Wilson pretty much directed Wade Phillips to make the change made it even worse. Flutie had injected some excitement into the franchise, and in some ways saved the organization at the time.

+1

I haven't read all of the other posts in this thread, so forgive me if this is redundant. I was always the Pollyanna-ish Bills fan forever. Think PTR, who I envy for still keeping that fire burning, in all sincerity.

Sure, I always thought "Ralph is cheap", but it never hit me as hard as it did during Jaurons pro-longed reign of terror on the Buffalo sidelines. I was always the "glass half full" guy with this team...but it was December 14th, 2008, when JP Losman infamously, and inexplicably, fumbled one of the precious few Bills victories of the last decade away, against the hated Jets...sure, a win wouldn't have done anything, but, I had long taken the approach of just trying to enjoy my Bills games on Sundays, without letting past failures play into my enjoyment...on another Sunday, earlier, if that play had happened, I would have cursed, felt my face get flush, and, quickly, remind myself that the Bills played "pretty good, and almost won" against a division foe. But not that day...I didn't curse, I seriously, and honestly, just laughed harder than I had in years, and harder than I have laughed since...it was just my natural reaction...all of the sudden, all the losses, boring performances with so little to get excited about, came to the fore...I admit, that is the day I kind of turned a little to the "dark side" in my approach to the Bills. And, it had nothing to do with Losman...always kind of liked him...it was just a feeling of "why do I care so much about this crappy team?" For me, it was the ultimate moment of dark humor.

Now, realize, I still love this team, and I enjoy them as much as I possibly can, but, no longer do I put the responsibility on myself to find the good amongst the really bad. I will cheer loud, and hard when they win, be mildly disappointed when they lose, but it isn't going to ruin my weekend anymore. I will enjoy a victory immensely (had a great time Sunday), but if they lose, I just toss it in the pile with all the other disappointing Sundays....now bring on the friggin' Raiders!

I had a different perspective on that game. I need the jets to just win the game to cover on a $100 teaser I had going & at the end of the game when Lynch was gashing the Jets line with 4/5 yard runs at a time I looked at my wife & said, well that is all she wrote. The only way they blow this is if they let Losman go back for a pass now, & not even Jauron is dumb enough to do that." As soon as I said that, sure enough Losman rolls out & fumbles the ball for a Jets score. I started laughing yelling "thank you skeletor!!"

Watching the first game of the season with the Bills beating the Patriots 35-0. Then Going to the last game of the season and watching the Bills get killed 35-0 with more Patriot fans around me then Bills fans. I felt like I was at a stadium in NE and not NY, that was bad.

My guess would be there was more Patriot fans around you in that 2nd game because it was in Foxboro

Here's a worthy submission -- the first paragraph in particular:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1998/playoffs/news/1999/01/02/miami_buffalo/

This one is a very close tie with the titans playoff game. wow i was 9yrs old, i was a die hard andre reed fan. i had a plack on my wall with like 30 andre reed cards on it, anyways i was wearing my andre jersey, and of course he caught the ball inches from a touchdown, bumped the ref and we had to kick the field goal. its amazing the crap i took as a 9yr old!!! mostly my friends, but i remember this one particular :censored: hole in a rite aid after the game who said "thanks alot for blowing the game" because i was wearing my andre jersey... if your reading this and your that guy i hate you lol. also very close with NO GOAL, that was a kick in the nuts.

I had a different perspective on that game. I need the jets to just win the game to cover on a $100 teaser I had going & at the end of the game when Lynch was gashing the Jets line with 4/5 yard runs at a time I looked at my wife & said, well that is all she wrote. The only way they blow this is if they let Losman go back for a pass now, & not even Jauron is dumb enough to do that." As soon as I said that, sure enough Losman rolls out & fumbles the ball for a Jets score. I started laughing yelling "thank you skeletor!!"

I hear you...sometimes I think fanatasy football, and betting, kind of bastardize the game for me...but they can also keep me interested. The NFL knows that duality exists, and preys upon it. I always pull for the Bills, whether it fugs my FF team up, or not. When it comes to straight up betting on games, I avoid picking the Bills, or picking against them, as much as I can. Never pick against them.

I should note, from my origianl post, that day, Dec 18, 2008 wasn't really the day I went to the "dark side" as a Bills fan, but it was, moreover, the day I acknowledged, to myself, and was more open to verbalizing, that side did exist...I remember coming here, on TSW, and gettig all my frustrations out, all at once...it felt kind of good...almost like giving up a "secret" you have been living with for years...now, when they do something I think is stupid, or "cheap", I don't mind saying it, rather than trying a way to put a positive spin on everything, even when one doesn't exist. That can be exhausting, and not very enjoyable, as a "fan", if you have to do it too much, and too often.

Edited by Buftex