Easley to IR

Casey D

I knew someone diagnosed with irregular heart beat on her 20s. She's in 50s now and fine. Hopefully for Marcus its nothing worse than that.

Pic?

That's a good, believable article. Not earth shattering but a nice behind the scenes look. Thanks for the link.

It seems he is only speaking about immediate injury settlements, rather than putting a guy on IR and then eight weeks down the line deciding on an injury settlement. Otherwise, why would the agent or team make the guess for the length of the injury until a month or two goes by.

A guy like Easley, almost for sure, is going to be on the IR all year, as he has a year or two left on his Bills contract, and they probably want to give him a chance next year (unless, of course, this is a more serious heart ailment that could end his career).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the bolded part, but IIRC...(under the old CBA) a player can be released with an injury settlement if the player and team agree. The player then passes through waivers after which, if unclaimed they become a FA. So...a team generally isn't willing to release a promising player for fear that they will lose them.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is atrial fibrillation (which I have) it can be controlled with drugs, and exercise is not precluded. He could be back.

If it's what Gaithers had (Marfan's syndrome) it is much more serious and he is done as an athlete.

I had an isolated instance of rapid atrial fibrillation while playing college volleyball (almost the same age as Marcus). It was incredibly scary. Fortunately, at the hospital, they were able to kick it back to normal with meds. After running a bunch of tests (echocardiogram, stress echo, multiple ekgs, bloodwork) they couldn't find reason why it happened. I'm now 32, haven't changed any aspects of my life, and it hasn't happened again since. Hopefully it'll be the same for Marcus. Having gone on this long I'd probably guess the docs will want to use electric cardioversion to prevent clots from forming. After having the problem I did quite a bit of reading. It sounds like it is typically very fixable and he'll live a healthy life. Whether he can play professional sports will be the question...any MDs with better knowledge?

MIKE WILLIAMS is a wasted draft pick. AARON MAYBIN is a wasted draft pick.

Marcus Easley's situation is very unfortunate. HUGE difference.

Bingo.

Stuff like this isn't a "waste" or even a "bust", it's just a bad roll of the life-dice. Hopefully Marcus can get healthy and still be productive, but if not, I'm not going to whine about it being a bad pick. He was looking healthy this pre-season and productive, he probably would have been productive this year if not for something that can effect any man, big or small.

I know this kid is technically a rookie.

I know he has never played a regular season down for us in two years.

...and I hope and pray that everything works out for and he comes back next season ready to go.

However, from a football stand point I believe this hurts us this year.

This kid had all the qualities this Bills regime looks for in a receiver and if they didn't want him to eventually take Nelson's spot, at the very least they wanted him to be the first guy in when one of the two starters goes down (knock on wood).

I am not saying he would have had a Tampa/Williams campaign this year, but I really could have seen him catching 40 balls or so.

Get well quickly and safely, Marcus.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Any idea what scumbag in the organization decided that HIPPA doesn't apply to him and leaked Easley's medical information to the News?

HIPAA doesn't apply to NFL players. The NFLPA has an agreement with the NFL that lets teams disclose whatever a player has. If they didn't, you would never know what a player is injured with.

Porks what you have does it preclude you from sports activity?

I was told of all the heart problems out there, this is the least concerning. It makes you feel kind of nauseated and light-headed but can be treated with beta blockers. Essentially, all of the heart chambers are not working together in sync so your heart will skip a beat or have a couple close together. It's kind of a spooky feeling but it doesn't hurt or anything. But it will make you unable to do anything strenuous or things that require concentration.

Maybe another wasteed draft pick?

Not yet… but another wasted post? Yes.

Look. He had an undetectable medical condition which showed up in his second season. He still has a chance to have a good NFL career as far as anyone knows.

So let me break this down for you:

4th round pick + unknown medical condition + still has a chance to play in the NFL does not equal wasted draft pick.

I know this kid is technically a rookie.

I know he has never played a regular season down for us in two years.

...and I hope and pray that everything works out for and he comes back next season ready to go.

However, from a football stand point I believe this hurts us this year.

This kid had all the qualities this Bills regime looks for in a receiver and if they didn't want him to eventually take Nelson's spot, at the very least they wanted him to be the first guy in when one of the two starters goes down (knock on wood).

I am not saying he would have had a Tampa/Williams campaign this year, but I really could have seen him catching 40 balls or so.

Get well quickly and safely, Marcus.

Reminds me a bit of the Troup and Easley inactive for week one thread and the fact that some saw this as a big detriment for the Bills against Kansas City.

I know you're probably talking longer term and I'm sure the Bills were hoping for big things from Easley this year but I just don't see this as being that big of a loss.

Very unfortunate? Yes.

Big loss? Then you have to ask yourself how many games Marcus Easley would have changed a loss into a victory this season.

Wow. Ruvell Martin back.

Really sucks. Was hoping for Easley to have a break out year. Not sure if this guy will ever get going... But good news for Martin. Hope he comes in and scores 3 TDs This Week :)

Edited by mattsox

I sincerely wish him all the best and a speedy recovery, but if I was a betting man (I am not), I would say you probably won't ever see him in a Bills uniform again. This is a "What have you done for me lately" league where teams can't wait around for someone to be able to get on the field. There is too much money invested in the NFL for a team to keep waiting for a player they have been paying for two seasons but hasn't even ever been on an active roster because of health problems. I hope he is the exception because he seems to have the body build and tools to become at least a steady NFL receiver, but I am not gonna bet on it.

Edited by billsfreak