The attendance at yesterday's opener

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Marv Albert started the telecast saying "A sellout crowd of nearly 80,000...". I saw an announced attendance of about 66k. It was obvious that there were alot of empty seats. Was the game in danger of not selling out before the blackout? Were other games also not as well attended yesterday? Does KC need to start worrying about their team moving? Do you think all those no-shows were just because they were playing the "lowly" Bills?

I saw a few blocks of empty seats in the uppder deck as well... I read that there were 8,000 open seats. Strange if true, when you think KC, you think great support, great attendance.

An obscure trivia question will come from this game... At the beginning of the fourth quarter, I think the attendance was 762. Can you name them?

I really think it's becoming a TV league. The Chiefs have season tickets now at only $25 a game. The Raiders do two for one tickets for even their biggest games. You can buy some teams regular season games on Stubhub for 10-15 bucks a ticket.

So much of the revenue is TV money. Then teams do the kinds of crap the Bills did this year to make fans experience even more uncomfortable, and more people (never me) go to the side of TV is better than the game experience.

Marv Albert started the telecast saying "A sellout crowd of nearly 80,000...". I saw an announced attendance of about 66k. It was obvious that there were alot of empty seats. Was the game in danger of not selling out before the blackout? Were other games also not as well attended yesterday? Does KC need to start worrying about their team moving? Do you think all those no-shows were just because they were playing the "lowly" Bills?

I hope so. I want the Bills to stay "under the radar" for as long as they can. :thumbsup:

I am surprised, simply because the season opener is when fans of almost any team can have "high hopes" and have that new season football feeling at a peak. Also, the Chiefs are traditionally viewed as being on the short list of "best fans".

It was hard to see from a panoramic view if there were fans in red shirts in the seats or empty red seats. <grin>

If I was a Chiefs fain, I would have left at the end of the third quarter. At halftime they were not out of the game!

Edited by Rockpile

I really think it's becoming a TV league. The Chiefs have season tickets now at only $25 a game. The Raiders do two for one tickets for even their biggest games. You can buy some teams regular season games on Stubhub for 10-15 bucks a ticket.

So much of the revenue is TV money. Then teams do the kinds of crap the Bills did this year to make fans experience even more uncomfortable, and more people (never me) go to the side of TV is better than the game experience.

This is an interesting point, and you might be right, not that I would ever doubt a fellow Bona man. Of all the major sports in the U.S., football is the best one to watch on TV rather than live (obviously being there is always more fun). In the case of Kansas City I was always under the impression that they had a very supportive fan base. Yesterday, even during the first quarter, there were significant holes in the crowd.

An obscure trivia question will come from this game... At the beginning of the fourth quarter, I think the attendance was 762. Can you name them?

Lol. Wasn't that camera shot of the parking lot emptying out as quick as it could awesome!

I did not look at attendance for all games but I did note that Jacksonville had 61K and Tampa had 51K for their home games. Really poor showing by the Bucs fans. That place used to be like Baltimore...great support and always sold out. They were a 10 win team last year right? Not sure what's happened there.

This is an interesting point, and you might be right, not that I would ever doubt a fellow Bona man. Of all the major sports in the U.S., football is the best one to watch on TV rather than live (obviously being there is always more fun). In the case of Kansas City I was always under the impression that they had a very supportive fan base. Yesterday, even during the first quarter, there were significant holes in the crowd.

I agree with everything you said, esp. not doubting a fellow Bona man!.....Football on TV is the best of all the sports, being there is better, and KC seems to have an a waning fan base, or they were overrated to begin with. For a division winner, they should sellout the opener. The Bills always do, no matter how bad they are.

Go Bonas! #NCAA2012

I did not look at attendance for all games but I did note that Jacksonville had 61K and Tampa had 51K for their home games. Really poor showing by the Bucs fans. That place used to be like Baltimore...great support and always sold out. They were a 10 win team last year right? Not sure what's happened there.

I don't know if my theory explains it all, but it is really odd that the NFL is struggling to sell tickets these days. A few years ago, I think every single game was not blacked out locally.

I know they are sold out this coming Sunday, but I think future attendance could have been questionable before yesterday's beat down...

I don't think the Pats game is sold out, but if they're 2-0 going into it it's definately selling out.

So maybe it really is a more league-wide phenomenon. A symptom of the uncertainty during the offseason perhaps.

Lol. Wasn't that camera shot of the parking lot emptying out as quick as it could awesome!

Yep!!! It reminded me of one of the

looks that Yankee Stadium had when

my Texas Rangers played there last

year in the ALCS playoffs!!

I can name one. The GREAT

Pinto Kenny!!

Marv Albert started the telecast saying "A sellout crowd of nearly 80,000...". I saw an announced attendance of about 66k.

A "sellout" is the number of tickets sold. "Announced attendance" is the number of people through the turnstiles.

I asked my ticket rep a couple years ago, and they told me the Bills report sold tickets, not actual number of people attending, when they release the attendence numbers.

Higher ticket prices, parking, PSLs and season ticket holders required to buy pre-season tickets......

Enter Hi-def TV....Season ticket numbers down significantly. B-)

NASCAR is experiencing the same thing. Ticket prices and associated costs are being weighed against Hi-def TV in this poor economy.

NASCAR is experiencing the same thing. Ticket prices and associated costs are being weighed against Hi-def TV in this poor economy.

That, and the fact that people figured out that watching a bunch of cars go around in circles, with constant cautions, is just not very fun.