steve johnson talks moving slow

cmjoyce113

Pretty sure Jeremy's point was exactly the opposite of MD's. Jeremy said Whitner and Poz wanted to be here and MD said they did not. How is that the same?

Personally my belief is that Poz wanted to be here and Whitner wanted to leave.

Jeremy was sarcastically referring to two other Bills players who "wanted" to play here, but left immediately... sarcasm that was missed by now 2 posters... srsly wtf???

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie has a good thing going here....a 7th round pick who worked hard and was given a chance by the bills.......he is a number 1 option here and is about to get seriously paid

Sounds a lot like a LT we used to have who wanted to be paid like a LT.

What's the mystery? Johnson is trying to get more money now in case he does not cut it as a #1 now that Evans is gone. And Nix wants to see how Johnson performs this season as a #1 before he coughs up any more money. Net result is no contract extension until later. Pretty simple.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Understand that if we believe Buddy from the WEDG interview, he has a number in mind, and if Stevie's agent starts acting for stupid money he won't sign him. You can cue the 'Ralph is Cheap' chorus, but Buddy said he decides what someone is worth, not Ralph.

PTR

So much for keeping your own, huh? If ralphie refuses to pay for FAs, and refuses to pay for our own guys, then where does that leave us?

Maybe we can trade stevie for a 6th before he gets too expensive so we don't risk losing Aiken or Roosevelt.

What's the mystery? Johnson is trying to get more money now in case he does not cut it as a #1 now that Evans is gone. And Nix wants to see how Johnson performs this season as a #1 before he coughs up any more money. Net result is no contract extension until later. Pretty simple.

Yup.

See and that's the amazing thing right there. By trading Evans to save a few bucks, Stevie's price went up by at least the amount they "saved," if not more.

Very good argument against the whole "Evans was cut to save money" argument. Thanks.

So much for keeping your own, huh? If ralphie refuses to pay for FAs, and refuses to pay for our own guys, then where does that leave us?

Really? You can't wait until after he's cut lose to make this argument?

See and that's the amazing thing right there. By trading Evans to save a few bucks, Stevie's price went up by at least the amount they "saved," if not more.

Thats Genius!! How do you figure?

A players value is a players value regardless of who else is on the field.

Not to mention SJ was going to be our #1 receiver even if Evans was here.

Is that why they brought back Naaman Roosevelt? Just in case they aren't able to retain Stevie Johnson????

No, I dont think so. We will retain Stevie, I cant imagine the Bills releasing 2 top receivers in one season. We NEED Stevie.

I doubt Lee Evans not being on the team has anything to do with Stevie's asking price.

Also, I find it hard to criticize either side considering we don't know how much is being asked for and how much is being offered. For comparisons sake however, Santonio Holmes signed for 5 years $50M this past offseason, Stevie had more yards per game and more TDs per game than Santonio last year. If the Bills signed him to that contract I'm sure some on here would light their hair on fire.

Also, here's the actual quote from the "story" since it seems like some are making more of it that it is:

Buffalo traded proposals with receiver Steve Johnson, but those sides are nowhere near a deal at this point, sources said.

Edited by Carey Bender

I'll worry about this when February rolls around and he's still not signed.

My guess, however, is that it'll get done well before that.

Until that time, I'll just have to be amused by the masses that freak out over the idea that Stevie Johnson hasn't signed a long term deal as of September 8th.

Agree on the first two points. But if they are close to agreeing on a deal which pays him between a #1 and #2 WR, I think Buddy will hedge his bets and go for it. Alternately, an incentive laden contract would be a possibility

I expect Stevie wants to be paid like a #1, and the Bills want him to prove he can play like a #1.

Give it a few games. They have time.

This is probably much closer to being correct. Stevie's agent wants guaranteed money and the Bills want a prove it or lose it contract. The actual dollar amount may or may not be the issue. Of course this is all speculation and none of here really knows what is going on behind closed doors. I do have every confidence that we will be seeing SJ on the field for at least the next couple years.

It was very likely the first time money was talked. It's very common that the two sides were far apart at this part. It's very unusual for a team to re-sign two players to significant contracts within a couple weeks of each other unless they are under the gun (like when FA is starting).

There is no real hurry or worry right now. The Bills will want to wait until the season starts before they put a real dollar figure on how high they want to go. This report, to me, is no worry whatsoever, and we're signing Stevie Johnson, probably before the season ends. I'm very confident of that.

Understand that if we believe Buddy from the WEDG interview, he has a number in mind, and if Stevie's agent starts acting for stupid money he won't sign him. You can cue the 'Ralph is Cheap' chorus, but Buddy said he decides what someone is worth, not Ralph.

PTR

but you don't understand man, thats just more Propaganda from "the man", trying to cover up the bills secrets that all the real smart intellegent Bills fans have figured out that Ralph is cheap and buddy and Chan are just puppets for an old man trying to squeeze every penny out of the poor fans. I can't wait to get to the stadium to buy my new Buffalo Bills Tin foil hat

i heard that he is blaming god for not being able to get this done before the season. The Bills gave Johnson a couple of offers that were exactly what he wanted or more, but he kept dropping them before he could sign them.

PTR

Oh, and that number Buddy had in mind didn't change from 8/10 to 10/10 to 12/10 to now? And won't change if SJ does fabulous or terrible in the next 16 weeks? Right.

I'm sure he has a number in mind. But it's flexible. The number also goes up or down depending on how much guaranteed money they want. The number goes up or down depending on how many years they want.

Stevie is very young. The 7th round deal for three years would have been 4-5-6 with a high pick. He may ask for a short term deal of four years so he has a shot at a second major deal when more money is around (The TV deal ESPN made with the NFL is astounding, almost three times what it was the last huge deal).

It's also different when talking about certain players. In the past, Ralph was involved in major deals like the one SJ will sign.

PTR

Yeah, Buddy decides what someone is worth...then goes with the number Overdork gives him, regardless of what he decides.